Author Topic: Will be in Traveling in Europe/Israel for 2 months, apply for Amex Plat?  (Read 1278 times)

Offline LA2NYC

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
To DDF experts,

I am going to be on vacation in Europe (France/Switzerland/Venice) before and after the chagim and will be in Israel from RH-Sukkos.  I have many stopovers in Europe, and will probably have to pay ForEx fees on some travel, hotels, and the like.  All of my current cards charge for foreign transactions.

1) is it worth it to apply for the Amex Plat card just for forex fees and lounge access?
2) I already have the Delta Gold, PRG, and SPG-if I apply for the card, are there others that I should apply for as well?
3) are there any good offers out there for the Amex Plat?

Thank you! Have never really traveled in Europe, so your help is very much appreciated.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
To DDF experts,

I am going to be on vacation in Europe (France/Switzerland/Venice) before and after the chagim and will be in Israel from RH-Sukkos.  I have many stopovers in Europe, and will probably have to pay ForEx fees on some travel, hotels, and the like.  All of my current cards charge for foreign transactions.

1) is it worth it to apply for the Amex Plat card just for forex fees and lounge access?
2) I already have the Delta Gold, PRG, and SPG-if I apply for the card, are there others that I should apply for as well?
3) are there any good offers out there for the Amex Plat?

Thank you! Have never really traveled in Europe, so your help is very much appreciated.

Why not apply for a Chase card thay has no forex?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline LA2NYC

• View Profile
I think the lounge access during all the stopovers might be worth it...

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
I think the lounge access during all the stopovers might be worth it...

True.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline LA2NYC

• View Profile
Also, a question about lounge access:

If I'm traveling with a spouse, while using international lounges would I need to pay a guest fee, or is that waived for a spouse?  I believe it's waived when entering lounges with an Amex Plat, but for international lounges do you need to use Priority Pass or can you use your Amex?

Thanks!

Offline David B

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
When you are using Priority Pass, there is no free guest access.
Also, a question about lounge access:

If I'm traveling with a spouse, while using international lounges would I need to pay a guest fee, or is that waived for a spouse?  I believe it's waived when entering lounges with an Amex Plat, but for international lounges do you need to use Priority Pass or can you use your Amex?

Thanks!

If you are on a Delta ticket, for example, and want access to the Delta lounge, you get free guest access, as you are entering under the Plat card. 

When you are in an airport and you are not flying a carrier whose lounge participates in the Plat program, you'll still be able to get into many lounges with the Priority Pass card, but will have to pay for guests.  Incidentally, every additional cardholder on the Plat card can get their own Priority Pass card.  Also, if you have the Chase Ink Bold card, each card holder (and others, search the forums) can get a Lounge Access card (think that's what it's called) that is part of Priority Pass, but only allows two free entries per car holder per year.  So between all those, you should be all "lounged out"