Jeffrey’s Bakery
Pita Pan
Pita Plus
Lula by Darna
Metsuyan
Hilel Sports Bar and Grill- Closed
Darna
La Spezia
Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (including 2 at PTY)
Dr. Sandwich
Prime Grill
Forever yogurt in casco viejo- Chalav Yisroel ice cream - Closed down
NEW - Jerusalem Israeli Cuisine by Chabad in Casco Viejo
Supermarkets:
Superkosher
Supermacardo Deli K

Cholov Yisroel:
If you go onto Kosher Panama Website you can search for Cholov Yisroel by entering Jalav Israel in the search, just be aware if the site lists Jalav Israel and Lacteo in the description, the establishment may have both CY and non-CY so be aware and double check with the staff.
SuperKosher also had a nice selection of CY breakfast/snack/frozen items available.

There is a local chalav yisroel that isn't up to everyone's standards. It isn't up to Chabad as they use a lower kasherimg temperature than the alter rebbe holds.
This is what local chabad down there told me. Don't hold me to any of it please.

Synagogue:

The Jewish community in Panama is mainly in Panama City in the Punta Paitilla area.
You must bring your passport with you to enter the shuls. You can bring your passport over during the week if you are not staying in the eruv. They will make a copy of your passport.

Sinagoga Beth El – Orthodox, Ashkenazi. After Shabbat morning services, they have a full sit down Kiddush lunch.
They also serve breakfast after weekday shacharit.
Contact Asistente al Rabino secretaria@centrobethel.com - Déborah Wizel

Shevet Ahim – Sephardic. proper attire required, denied entry for shorts.

Ahavat Sion –

Chabad -  bracha Karniel goldberg  brachagold@gmail.com

Things to Do:
Panama Canal
Amador Causeway
Old City
$30 cabbie for all day
Panama John on FT cab and tour guide
San Blas islands
En Valle Market
Casco Viejo
Barefoot Panama tour company
Boquete
Biosphere
Miraflores Locks
Ancon Hill (tallest point in the City)
Anton Valley (hiking, waterfalls, horseback riding)
Panama Viejo
MultiPlaza (high-end mall)
Parque Natural Metropolitano
Partial canal transit
Monkey Island boat tour
Rainforest Gondola tour
Contadora (Pearl Islands) - whale watching, snorkeling/scuba on Chipera, Mogu Mogu, https://pearlislandsdaytours.com/
Rainbow bass fishing
Ziplining
Rent bikes along the water
Rainforest
Beach- Santa Clara and punta palmar both 1.5+ hours from Panama City
Indigenous tribes
Coffee plantations in the mountains
Whale watching
City tour (includes animals)
Chargres River Tour, hike to waterfall, visit Embrera Indian Village
Hiking Portabello road
Natural Metropolitan Park
www.therealpanamatours.com
Almiza Tours/ My friend mario http://www.bscpma.com/mfm/aboutus.htm (Website not working!)
Colon
Bocas del Toro
Old city/Casco viejo

Hotels:

Getting Around:
Uber is the best way to get around, cheap and reliable (if you go to the rainforest, there might not be any cars available going back, search before)

Notes:

Please Update the Wiki
« Last edited by moishes on February 05, 2024, 05:12:28 PM »

Author Topic: Panama Master Thread  (Read 299908 times)

Offline yakrot

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Panama Master Thread
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2016, 01:15:06 PM »

I had absolutely no idea there was any kind of Jewish Community in Panama, let alone a good number of kosher eating options (considerably more than Boston, though I recognize it's not saying much). Really glad I happened on this thread. Seeing the Panama canal has been on my bucket list, but now it's way up there. Thanks to  jmk62110 and others who contributed here.
way more restaurants

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2016, 10:41:26 PM »
way more restaurants
again, that's not saying much!  :'(

Offline dvol

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2016, 12:18:38 PM »
Looking for some info on Santa Clara, thinking of staying at the all-inclusive Sheraton for a weekend in June.

Any kosher food in the area? Anything to do around there?

Offline Aaaron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2016, 10:35:11 AM »
How much time would be recommended for Panama to see/experience the basic?  I've done ziplining in Costa Rica and Puerto Rico so it's not high on the list.  Planning a Sunday-Thursday trip and debating between Panama for the whole thing or Panama/Nicaragua. 

Offline yitzyul

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2016, 11:25:23 AM »
I had absolutely no idea there was any kind of Jewish Community in Panama, let alone a good number of kosher eating options (considerably more than Boston, though I recognize it's not saying much). Really glad I happened on this thread. Seeing the Panama canal has been on my bucket list, but now it's way up there. Thanks to  jmk62110 and others who contributed here.
They have a beautiful community there, with gorgeous shuls. Make sure you call the restaurants before you go as they are not always opened. Darna didn't open until 9:30 and we tried to go at 9:00, and couldn't wait. Lula was closed that night so we struck out twice:)

Offline yakrot

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2016, 02:08:13 PM »
How much time would be recommended for Panama to see/experience the basic?  I've done ziplining in Costa Rica and Puerto Rico so it's not high on the list.  Planning a Sunday-Thursday trip and debating between Panama for the whole thing or Panama/Nicaragua.
What are you looking to accomplish in Panama? There's great Jewish infrastructure there but besides for that I don't know how much there is to actually do

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2016, 04:55:32 PM »
What are you looking to accomplish in Panama? There's great Jewish infrastructure there but besides for that I don't know how much there is to actually do

It seems like there is tons to do!  I have family that lived there and we are planning to go in the winter and want to see the canals, the rainforest (tons of different nature stuff and outdoor activities), may spend some time at the beach, go see how the native indigenous tribes live, go up in the mountains to the coffee plantations.  There seem to be lots of historical stuff and museums also.  We are planning Monday-Sunday and actually had planned to leave Friday for Cancun since we could get a free stopover but decided to just spend Shabbat there as well since the community sounds so nice and we wanted to make sure we had enough time.

Offline ethana

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2016, 05:00:51 PM »
+1

Offline Srsy

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2016, 11:28:24 PM »
Is it worth it to go to Panama in July?  How bad is the rain?

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2016, 02:42:28 AM »
Is it worth it to go to Panama in July?  How bad is the rain?

July is good because that's when whalewatching season starts.
Had lots of fun getting sprayed by humpbacks while sitting in a tiny motor boat.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2016, 03:19:51 AM »
-I managed to make an amazing day trip out of Contadora (Pearl Islands).
If I had a chance to redo it I would probably stay overnight.

I never expounded on this-
For my last day, we decided to visit a nearby island, Contadora, it looked like it would be really nice place to visit.

So in the morning we took a 20 minute flight in a 12 seat hunk of junk from Albrook International Airport (PAC) for $50/OW.
We had an unexpected stopover in San Jose which was nice. The flight had beautiful views the entire way.

We land in Contadora without any real plans. And apparently there's no easy to find bathrooms due to lack of water on the island. Anyways there's these black guys that hang out on the beach with motorboats to rent.
For $35/hour the motor boat also came with the entertaining guide (who didn't speak much English).

He took us to around whale watching for about an hour which was spectacular.
Getting real up-close views of a few humpback whales while in a tiny boat was exhilarating.

Afterwards we went to the beautiful deserted island of Chipera where we went snorkeling. You can also rent scuba equipment on Contadora. There's not much reef where I was but there were some beautiful tropical fish hanging out. Later, we hung out on the pristine beaches and crystal clear water, while the guide served us freshly picked coconuts.

Then, we headed out to Mogu Mogu where Season 7 of Survivor was shot. Mogu Mogu was also quite unique, more crystal clear water and beautiful shells and rocks that were worth taking home.

We then boated around some more taking in the scenic views of the various islands from the boat, while also passing some famous houses like the Shah of Iran and Christian Dior (IINM).

We headed back to the island and took the late afternoon ferry back to the mainland.
The ferry costs $45/OW, and takes around 2 hours, but is the only night option for returning.
The ferry ride is comfortable and relaxing, and you get to see more whales and some dolphins on the way.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2016, 12:30:38 PM »
I never expounded on this-
For my last day, we decided to visit a nearby island, Contadora, it looked like it would be really nice place to visit.

So in the morning we took a 20 minute flight in a 12 seat hunk of junk from Albrook International Airport (PAC) for $50/OW.
We had an unexpected stopover in San Jose which was nice. The flight had beautiful views the entire way.

We land in Contadora without any real plans. And apparently there's no easy to find bathrooms due to lack of water on the island. Anyways there's these black guys that hang out on the beach with motorboats to rent.
For $35/hour the motor boat also came with the entertaining guide (who didn't speak much English).

He took us to around whale watching for about an hour which was spectacular.
Getting real up-close views of a few humpback whales while in a tiny boat was exhilarating.

Afterwards we went to the beautiful deserted island of Chipera where we went snorkeling. You can also rent scuba equipment on Contadora. There's not much reef where I was but there were some beautiful tropical fish hanging out. Later, we hung out on the pristine beaches and crystal clear water, while the guide served us freshly picked coconuts.

Then, we headed out to Mogu Mogu where Season 7 of Survivor was shot. Mogu Mogu was also quite unique, more crystal clear water and beautiful shells and rocks that were worth taking home.

We then boated around some more taking in the scenic views of the various islands from the boat, while also passing some famous houses like the Shah of Iran and Christian Dior (IINM).

We headed back to the island and took the late afternoon ferry back to the mainland.
The ferry costs $45/OW, and takes around 2 hours, but is the only night option for returning.
The ferry ride is comfortable and relaxing, and you get to see more whales and some dolphins on the way.

Wow, sounds amazing!  This day sounds like a little too long of day and a little too much adventure for me with all my kids but do you have a recommendation of the best/easiest to get to beach or boat trip with snorkeling for a family? My kids are pre-school to middle school age.

Offline ponash123

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2016, 04:44:21 PM »
Anyone know of a villa or small rental that will have a private pool?

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2016, 07:51:11 PM »
Anyone know of a villa or small rental that will have a private pool?

Try homeaway.com

Offline bb_sam

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2016, 06:58:14 AM »
I have a trip to Panama planned for late August.  In looking at hotels that are within walking distance to the shul (shevet ahim), I came across a really good deal on a hotel called the Occidental.  It looks to be about a 15-20 min walk to the shul and a few blocks away from Lula Restaurant. 

Has anyone stayed at this hotel?  Is it close enough to the shul to walk on shabbos?

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2016, 07:27:35 AM »
I have a trip to Panama planned for late August.  In looking at hotels that are within walking distance to the shul (shevet ahim), I came across a really good deal on a hotel called the Occidental.  It looks to be about a 15-20 min walk to the shul and a few blocks away from Lula Restaurant. 

Has anyone stayed at this hotel?  Is it close enough to the shul to walk on shabbos?

No reason not to stay at highly rated hotels in Panama.
The high end hotels are less than $200 a night.
May as well go for the best like the Hilton.
Visibly Jewish

Offline bb_sam

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2016, 08:36:33 AM »
No reason not to stay at highly rated hotels in Panama.
The high end hotels are less than $200 a night.
May as well go for the best like the Hilton.

Appreciate the response but I can actually rent two rooms at the Occidental for less than it would cost to stay at the Le Meriden, Hilton, or Trump.  The Occidental is also highly rate on Tripadvisor.  So, back to my original question, anyone ever stayed here and is it close enough to a shul?

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2016, 11:15:39 PM »
Appreciate the response but I can actually rent two rooms at the Occidental for less than it would cost to stay at the Le Meriden, Hilton, or Trump.  The Occidental is also highly rate on Tripadvisor.  So, back to my original question, anyone ever stayed here and is it close enough to a shul?

Haven't heard anyone reference it.  Not sure what your rate was but there were rooms at number of Hilton branded hotels (Doubletree, HGI and a Hampton Inn) for like $80 a night some were only 5,000 HHonors points.  No idea their locations to Shuls.  We're staying at the Hilton, which looks to be an easy walk.

Offline saw50st8

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2016, 08:59:41 AM »
Has anyone been to Panama in May? I would like to go in May 2017, got a great rate at a hotel and found really cheap (points) flights. I know it's rainy season, but I see conflicting comments online about just small amounts of rain some afternoons to torrential downpours!

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2016, 05:24:14 PM »
Has anyone been to Panama in May? I would like to go in May 2017, got a great rate at a hotel and found really cheap (points) flights. I know it's rainy season, but I see conflicting comments online about just small amounts of rain some afternoons to torrential downpours!

I haven't been there in May but I have lived all over the tropics and in Monsoon season it is still unpredictable.  It can have torrential, crazy rain, every single day but often those downpours are fast and then go away.  It's not usually days of non-stop rain.