Jeffrey’s Bakery
Pita Pan
Pita Plus
Lula by Darna
Metsuyan
Hilel Sports Bar and Grill- Closed
Darna
La Spezia
Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (including 2 at PTY)
Dr. Sandwich
Prime Grill
Forever yogurt in casco viejo- Chalav Yisroel ice cream - Closed down
NEW - Jerusalem Israeli Cuisine by Chabad in Casco Viejo
Supermarkets:
Superkosher
Supermacardo Deli K

Cholov Yisroel:
If you go onto Kosher Panama Website you can search for Cholov Yisroel by entering Jalav Israel in the search, just be aware if the site lists Jalav Israel and Lacteo in the description, the establishment may have both CY and non-CY so be aware and double check with the staff.
SuperKosher also had a nice selection of CY breakfast/snack/frozen items available.

There is a local chalav yisroel that isn't up to everyone's standards. It isn't up to Chabad as they use a lower kasherimg temperature than the alter rebbe holds.
This is what local chabad down there told me. Don't hold me to any of it please.

Synagogue:

The Jewish community in Panama is mainly in Panama City in the Punta Paitilla area.
You must bring your passport with you to enter the shuls. You can bring your passport over during the week if you are not staying in the eruv. They will make a copy of your passport.

Sinagoga Beth El – Orthodox, Ashkenazi. After Shabbat morning services, they have a full sit down Kiddush lunch.
They also serve breakfast after weekday shacharit.
Contact Asistente al Rabino secretaria@centrobethel.com - Déborah Wizel

Shevet Ahim – Sephardic. proper attire required, denied entry for shorts.

Ahavat Sion –

Chabad -  bracha Karniel goldberg  brachagold@gmail.com

Things to Do:
Panama Canal
Amador Causeway
Old City
$30 cabbie for all day
Panama John on FT cab and tour guide
San Blas islands
En Valle Market
Casco Viejo
Barefoot Panama tour company
Boquete
Biosphere
Miraflores Locks
Ancon Hill (tallest point in the City)
Anton Valley (hiking, waterfalls, horseback riding)
Panama Viejo
MultiPlaza (high-end mall)
Parque Natural Metropolitano
Partial canal transit
Monkey Island boat tour
Rainforest Gondola tour
Contadora (Pearl Islands) - whale watching, snorkeling/scuba on Chipera, Mogu Mogu, https://pearlislandsdaytours.com/
Rainbow bass fishing
Ziplining
Rent bikes along the water
Rainforest
Beach- Santa Clara and punta palmar both 1.5+ hours from Panama City
Indigenous tribes
Coffee plantations in the mountains
Whale watching
City tour (includes animals)
Chargres River Tour, hike to waterfall, visit Embrera Indian Village
Hiking Portabello road
Natural Metropolitan Park
www.therealpanamatours.com
Almiza Tours/ My friend mario http://www.bscpma.com/mfm/aboutus.htm (Website not working!)
Colon
Bocas del Toro
Old city/Casco viejo

Hotels:

Getting Around:
Uber is the best way to get around, cheap and reliable (if you go to the rainforest, there might not be any cars available going back, search before)

Notes:

Please Update the Wiki
« Last edited by moishes on February 05, 2024, 05:12:28 PM »

Author Topic: Panama Master Thread  (Read 299986 times)

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
Re: Panama Master Thread
« Reply #600 on: December 14, 2019, 11:26:35 PM »
Not sure what you mean by San blass being difficult.
I can tell you that was def a highlight of our trip, it is absolutely stunning and well worth it.
( albeit not so kosher friendly)
In regards to snorkeling i would book with Alon.
(In Portobello reef)
P.s its a 30 min walk from chabad to Sortis GIYF

After years of talking about going to Panama we are finally going with our 2 younger children at end of January. After reading through all the posts I have a few questions.

We have  the Sortis Booked. Although we will be there over shabbos it still seems like the best choice for us since we can use a 7 night certificate, enjoy the modern contemporary and more hip style hotels with nice spas and its near the top restaurants. We also do not need an Eruv as my kids are 10 & 12. The only other lower category Marriott where we can use a cert is the Le Meridien But that hotel seems outdated and mediocre.

We plan on doing dinner at Chabbad Friday night and ubering there. How far is the walk back to the Sortis?

Regarding Shabbos morning, It seems both Bet El & Shevas Achim have a large Kiddush/Lunch. Is one recommended over the other? How far is the walk from each one to the Sortis?

I booked the combined Monkey Jungle / Embera Village Tour with Alon Levy.

It seems like my kids will be bored with a full tour of the Canal and and Miraflores Locks. I think it makes sense to do that on our own so we can move on quickly if needed.

After visiting Costa Rica we don't see a need for rain forest & zip lining tours here and would rather have some down time with local attractions at our own pace.

San Blas seems like to difficult a trip for a partially relaxing vacation.

The Pearl Island day tour with Ilene sounds amazing but there are no morning flights so need to take round trip ferry. Even with her ferry discount it seems very pricey for 4 people when you add the cost of the ferry and her tour. Is this really worth it?

Are there any snorkeling trips we can uber and do on our own?

My take on restaurants from all the reviews here is the following in this order: Aria, Kava, Moma, Luna Darna, La Spezia, Pita Plus....

Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

Online PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 15, 2019, 06:24:01 AM »
After years of talking about going to Panama we are finally going with our 2 younger children at end of January. After reading through all the posts I have a few questions.

We have  the Sortis Booked. Although we will be there over shabbos it still seems like the best choice for us since we can use a 7 night certificate, enjoy the modern contemporary and more hip style hotels with nice spas and its near the top restaurants. We also do not need an Eruv as my kids are 10 & 12. The only other lower category Marriott where we can use a cert is the Le Meridien But that hotel seems outdated and mediocre.

We plan on doing dinner at Chabbad Friday night and ubering there. How far is the walk back to the Sortis?

Regarding Shabbos morning, It seems both Bet El & Shevas Achim have a large Kiddush/Lunch. Is one recommended over the other? How far is the walk from each one to the Sortis?

It seems like my kids will be bored with a full tour of the Canal and and Miraflores Locks. I think it makes sense to do that on our own so we can move on quickly if needed.

After visiting Costa Rica we don't see a need for rain forest & zip lining tours here and would rather have some down time with local attractions at our own pace.

The Pearl Island day tour with Ilene sounds amazing but there are no morning flights so need to take round trip ferry. Even with her ferry discount it seems very pricey for 4 people when you add the cost of the ferry and her tour. Is this really worth it?

My take on restaurants from all the reviews here is the following in this order: Aria, Kava, Moma, Luna Darna, La Spezia, Pita Plus....

I found Shevet Ahim to be larger and more welcoming. The Canal tour may be interesting for kids as well. Restaurant rating seems on target. You may find yourself going back to Aria instead of the others.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline E R K

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 15, 2019, 09:06:30 AM »
Regarding the canal, you can just do museum and watch the boat go in the canal if you time your visit. I wouldn’t do the boat ride in the canal. Also, Moma closed.

Offline Divora M

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: December 15, 2019, 12:16:47 PM »

We are also doing the monkey island + Embrera village tour with Alon. What day are you going? We are going Jan 21st.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 15, 2019, 04:50:29 PM »
 You practically take a ride on the canal when going on the monkey island tour.
Regarding the canal, you can just do museum and watch the boat go in the canal if you time your visit. I wouldn’t do the boat ride in the canal. Also, Moma closed.

Offline E R K

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 15, 2019, 05:13:11 PM »
You practically take a ride on the canal when going on the monkey island tour.

Going to monkey island is a boat ride. Going through the locks in the canal  itself takes hours. Cool to watch from above and leave when you want instead of being stuck in a boat.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: December 15, 2019, 05:23:13 PM »
I am in agreement with you.
And pointing out that the boat ride is on the canal, and if your lucky might pass some freighter ships like we did...
Going to monkey island is a boat ride. Going through the locks in the canal  itself takes hours. Cool to watch from above and leave when you want instead of being stuck in a boat.

Offline BrooklynCPA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: December 16, 2019, 10:03:19 AM »
We are also doing the monkey island + Embrera village tour with Alon. What day are you going? We are going Jan 21st.

January30th

Offline BrooklynCPA

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: December 16, 2019, 10:07:42 AM »
Not sure what you mean by San blass being difficult.
I can tell you that was def a highlight of our trip, it is absolutely stunning and well worth it.
( albeit not so kosher friendly)
In regards to snorkeling i would book with Alon.
(In Portobello reef)
P.s its a 30 min walk from chabad to Sortis GIYF

I mean its too early of a start and too much driving when taking kids. I'm sure its beautiful nut don't want to need a vacation after our vacation. Pearl Island sounds a little more relaxing and its easier to take a ferry then drive.

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: December 16, 2019, 10:55:01 AM »
I found Shevet Ahim to be larger and more welcoming. The Canal tour may be interesting for kids as well. Restaurant rating seems on target. You may find yourself going back to Aria instead of the others.

We are planning on going to Shevet Ahim for davening. When did you show them your passports in order to get in, since there is no eruv?

Offline E R K

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: December 16, 2019, 10:58:39 AM »
I mean its too early of a start and too much driving when taking kids. I'm sure its beautiful nut don't want to need a vacation after our vacation. Pearl Island sounds a little more relaxing and its easier to take a ferry then drive.
Ferry ride was long and choppy. Coming back we were very tired. But Pearl Islands were great. We did have a problem with Ilene though.  Even though we confirmed with her numerous times, We arrived and everyone else had someone there waiting for them and she wasn’t there for us .  After numerous phone calls we finally got through to her. It seem like she forgot and she quickly found a boat driver and put everything together for us.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 16, 2019, 11:00:35 AM »
My DW and i  walked with a local ( whom we met on the street) Shabbos Mincha and had someone come outside to "ask some questions" ( it felt silly and insulting at the same time but understandable) and we were let in.
We are planning on going to Shevet Ahim for davening. When did you show them your passports in order to get in, since there is no eruv?

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: December 16, 2019, 11:02:34 AM »
My DW and i  walked with a local ( whom we met on the street) Shabbos Mincha and had someone come outside to "ask some questions" ( it felt silly and insulting at the same time but understandable) and we were let in.

That sounds like when we tried going into the shul in Venice and had to answer questions on the Parsha before gaining entry.

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 16, 2019, 11:03:43 AM »
Ferry ride was long and choppy. Coming back we were very tired. But Pearl Islands were great. We did have a problem with Ilene though.  Even though we confirmed with her numerous times, We arrived and everyone else had someone there waiting for them and she wasn’t there for us .  After numerous phone calls we finally got through to her. It seem like she forgot and she quickly found a boat driver and put everything together for us.

Thanks for posting that, I will make sure to confirm with her the day before we go.

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: December 16, 2019, 12:28:24 PM »
We dropped by before Shabbos. After that one time they recognized our faces and didn't have to look us up.

Offline BrooklynCPA

• View Profile
« Reply #615 on: December 16, 2019, 12:30:42 PM »
Can we take a vote between day trip to San Blas or Pearl Island. Which is nicer, less tiring and all in all more worthwile?

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: December 16, 2019, 06:15:38 PM »
Can we take a vote between day trip to San Blas or Pearl Island. Which is nicer, less tiring and all in all more worthwile?

Make sure people that are voting have been to both for day trips.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 16, 2019, 07:00:18 PM »
Had pretty much same experience in VIE as well.
There they actually have an Israeli security guard outside.

That sounds like when we tried going into the shul in Venice and had to answer questions on the Parsha before gaining entry.

Offline mz715

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 16, 2019, 09:35:21 PM »
I have a map of the Eruv (courtesy of Ezra from Shevat Achim). However, it is too large (~500km) to post to this forum when I try to upload the jpg. Moderator - can you help?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #619 on: December 16, 2019, 09:36:51 PM »
You can email it to me.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.