Jeffrey’s Bakery
Pita Pan
Pita Plus
Lula by Darna
Metsuyan
Hilel Sports Bar and Grill- Closed
Darna
La Spezia
Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (including 2 at PTY)
Dr. Sandwich
Prime Grill
Forever yogurt in casco viejo- Chalav Yisroel ice cream - Closed down
NEW - Jerusalem Israeli Cuisine by Chabad in Casco Viejo
Supermarkets:
Superkosher
Supermacardo Deli K

Cholov Yisroel:
If you go onto Kosher Panama Website you can search for Cholov Yisroel by entering Jalav Israel in the search, just be aware if the site lists Jalav Israel and Lacteo in the description, the establishment may have both CY and non-CY so be aware and double check with the staff.
SuperKosher also had a nice selection of CY breakfast/snack/frozen items available.

There is a local chalav yisroel that isn't up to everyone's standards. It isn't up to Chabad as they use a lower kasherimg temperature than the alter rebbe holds.
This is what local chabad down there told me. Don't hold me to any of it please.

Synagogue:

The Jewish community in Panama is mainly in Panama City in the Punta Paitilla area.
You must bring your passport with you to enter the shuls. You can bring your passport over during the week if you are not staying in the eruv. They will make a copy of your passport.

Sinagoga Beth El – Orthodox, Ashkenazi. After Shabbat morning services, they have a full sit down Kiddush lunch.
They also serve breakfast after weekday shacharit.
Contact Asistente al Rabino secretaria@centrobethel.com - Déborah Wizel

Shevet Ahim – Sephardic. proper attire required, denied entry for shorts.

Ahavat Sion –

Chabad -  bracha Karniel goldberg  brachagold@gmail.com

Things to Do:
Panama Canal
Amador Causeway
Old City
$30 cabbie for all day
Panama John on FT cab and tour guide
San Blas islands
En Valle Market
Casco Viejo
Barefoot Panama tour company
Boquete
Biosphere
Miraflores Locks
Ancon Hill (tallest point in the City)
Anton Valley (hiking, waterfalls, horseback riding)
Panama Viejo
MultiPlaza (high-end mall)
Parque Natural Metropolitano
Partial canal transit
Monkey Island boat tour
Rainforest Gondola tour
Contadora (Pearl Islands) - whale watching, snorkeling/scuba on Chipera, Mogu Mogu, https://pearlislandsdaytours.com/
Rainbow bass fishing
Ziplining
Rent bikes along the water
Rainforest
Beach- Santa Clara and punta palmar both 1.5+ hours from Panama City
Indigenous tribes
Coffee plantations in the mountains
Whale watching
City tour (includes animals)
Chargres River Tour, hike to waterfall, visit Embrera Indian Village
Hiking Portabello road
Natural Metropolitan Park
www.therealpanamatours.com
Almiza Tours/ My friend mario http://www.bscpma.com/mfm/aboutus.htm (Website not working!)
Colon
Bocas del Toro
Old city/Casco viejo

Hotels:

Getting Around:
Uber is the best way to get around, cheap and reliable (if you go to the rainforest, there might not be any cars available going back, search before)

Notes:

Please Update the Wiki
« Last edited by moishes on February 05, 2024, 05:12:28 PM »

Author Topic: Panama Master Thread  (Read 304218 times)

Offline saw50st8

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Panama Master Thread
« Reply #620 on: December 17, 2019, 07:17:33 AM »
Can we take a vote between day trip to San Blas or Pearl Island. Which is nicer, less tiring and all in all more worthwile?

I have only been to San Blas. It is far and the ride is really bumpy. If anyone in your group has motion sickness, don't do it. It was worth it but that's because we stayed overnight. It was definitely paradise.

Everyone that I know who went to Pearl Island for the day loved it.

Offline saw50st8

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 17, 2019, 07:18:48 AM »
We are planning on going to Shevet Ahim for davening. When did you show them your passports in order to get in, since there is no eruv?

We stopped by during the week with our passports. They made copies and we were good to go for shabbos.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 17, 2019, 09:05:27 AM »
I've only been to San Blass. you would have to wake up early (pickup is aprox. 530 AM)  and ride is a bit bumpy (especially last 10 minutes or so)but it was well worth it , it is truly paradise and rivels any island (we went for a day trip, and wouldn't stay overnight).
Make sure people that are voting have been to both for day trips.

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 17, 2019, 09:42:44 AM »
Can we take a vote between day trip to San Blas or Pearl Island. Which is nicer, less tiring and all in all more worthwile?

I personally MUCH preferred the Pearl Islands. Zero driving (although you catch a 7:30am ferry) and if you have a larger group much more cost effective because the ferry cost is reasonable and then the tour guide (or directly booking a boatman if you are really adventurous and speak some Spanish) is just on a per hour basis for like up to 8 people. Also in San Blas it feels a bit like Mexico where it has been commercialized and you have a certain amount of time at each island “stop” on the route. Pearl Islands you totally control everything, which means you can have them drop you at an uninhabited island for TRUE family swimming with no one else on the beach, you can throw a line in the water for the chance for real sports fishing, huge fish, and also in the summer you get the added bonus of whale watching (really close to them in small boats) which was something really unique and fun for my family.   Hands-down Pearl islands.  :)

Offline Divora M

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: December 17, 2019, 10:23:07 AM »
I personally MUCH preferred the Pearl Islands. Zero driving (although you catch a 7:30am ferry) and if you have a larger group much more cost effective because the ferry cost is reasonable and then the tour guide (or directly booking a boatman if you are really adventurous and speak some Spanish) is just on a per hour basis for like up to 8 people. Also in San Blas it feels a bit like Mexico where it has been commercialized and you have a certain amount of time at each island “stop” on the route. Pearl Islands you totally control everything, which means you can have them drop you at an uninhabited island for TRUE family swimming with no one else on the beach, you can throw a line in the water for the chance for real sports fishing, huge fish, and also in the summer you get the added bonus of whale watching (really close to them in small boats) which was something really unique and fun for my family.   Hands-down Pearl islands.  :)

How do the beaches compare to each other?

Offline saw50st8

• View Profile
« Reply #625 on: December 17, 2019, 11:52:02 AM »

I don't know where you went in San Blas, but I stayed in "luxury accommodations" that amounted to a light bulb and very basic water pressure.  It was completely non-commercial and we definitely went to deserted islands.  Maybe that's daytrip vs overnight trip.

Offline cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: December 17, 2019, 12:40:50 PM »
Also in San Blas it feels a bit like Mexico where it has been commercialized and you have a certain amount of time at each island “stop” on the route. Pearl Islands you totally control everything, which means you can have them drop you at an uninhabited island for TRUE family swimming with no one else on the beach, you can throw a line in the water for the chance for real sports fishing, huge fish, and also in the summer you get the added bonus of whale watching (really close to them in small boats) which was something really unique and fun for my family.   Hands-down Pearl islands.  :)

I had a very different experience. Nothing commercial about it. We had our boatman take us to his home village to show us around, then we asked for some private time and he took us to a private island, then we asked to see some turtles so he took us to a spot for that etc. This was a day trip.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 17, 2019, 04:23:31 PM »
I don’t mean commercial like nice accommodations...they were horrible...lol...I meant like if you want a private tour it’s prohibitively expensive, there were lots of other boats and people around, it was set up by the indigenous tribes as a money making system (which is great, Yashar Koach to them). Maybe because it was a Sunday but each step was crowded and we had a certain island route and couldn’t deviate. Also, I speak Spanish and so we were fine but if people who don’t speak it want to go, I think it would be hard to communicate.  Also one of the kids was really sick and we had to stop on the way back because of car sickness from the drive. Again, maybe it was just timing and luck (I also have high standards and have been to the Maldives and many beautiful islands) but even though it was a very nice day, I just didn’t feel it was in any way worth the money we spent or lived up to the hype.  Other good friends of mine who have also been to Panama twice, done San Blas, Los Portobello Islands and Las Perlas, also said the Pearl Islands were totally the highlight of both their trips.  I’m not belittling San Blas, I was just answering the question of which I thought was better. @zow did you go to both? Wanna weigh in here? :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 04:27:59 PM by Denverite »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #628 on: December 17, 2019, 07:01:32 PM »
Panama eruv:
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline zow

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: December 17, 2019, 11:09:37 PM »
I don’t mean commercial like nice accommodations...they were horrible...lol...I meant like if you want a private tour it’s prohibitively expensive, there were lots of other boats and people around, it was set up by the indigenous tribes as a money making system (which is great, Yashar Koach to them). Maybe because it was a Sunday but each step was crowded and we had a certain island route and couldn’t deviate. Also, I speak Spanish and so we were fine but if people who don’t speak it want to go, I think it would be hard to communicate.  Also one of the kids was really sick and we had to stop on the way back because of car sickness from the drive. Again, maybe it was just timing and luck (I also have high standards and have been to the Maldives and many beautiful islands) but even though it was a very nice day, I just didn’t feel it was in any way worth the money we spent or lived up to the hype.  Other good friends of mine who have also been to Panama twice, done San Blas, Los Portobello Islands and Las Perlas, also said the Pearl Islands were totally the highlight of both their trips.  I’m not belittling San Blas, I was just answering the question of which I thought was better. @zow did you go to both? Wanna weigh in here? :)

We enjoyed Las Perlas and would do it again. We did not go to San Blas.

Offline RebTuvia

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: December 18, 2019, 02:13:11 AM »
We did Las Perlas (Pearls Islands) with a 10 month old, our tour guide Elene was great! The islands are splendid! Would definitely recommend for a great day trip from Panama city.. DDF’ers implied that San Blas is a rough ordeal specifically with Toddlers.

Offline BrooklynCPA

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: December 18, 2019, 09:57:02 AM »
So it seems the consensus is to go with Pearl Island even now that it not whale season!

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: December 18, 2019, 09:23:43 PM »
I loved Pearl Islands as a full day trip, I mentioned previously that I flew to Contadora in the morning and took the ferry back in the evening. I think San blas is longer travel time, if so I don’t think there’s enough time to make a nice day trip out of it.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: December 18, 2019, 09:50:15 PM »
I loved Pearl Islands as a full day trip, I mentioned previously that I flew to Contadora in the morning and took the ferry back in the evening. I think San blas is longer travel time, if so I don’t think there’s enough time to make a nice day trip out of it.
We went on a day trip, it was worth every minute of travel.

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: December 23, 2019, 11:11:17 AM »
Does anyone know which (if any) dairy restaurants are cholov yisrael?

Offline cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: December 23, 2019, 12:32:50 PM »

In my experience all dairy restaurants are mostly CY. When I was there I asked if they had any menu items that weren't, and they'd usually point out one or two items. The overall menu in most eateries was CY, as far as I can remember.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: December 23, 2019, 01:54:53 PM »
You can ask for CY in most restaurants , but Kelim wouldn't be CY.
Other then pizza @ Jeffrey's bakery which is 100% CY.

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: December 23, 2019, 02:22:57 PM »
You can ask for CY in most restaurants , but Kelim wouldn't be CY.
Other then pizza @ Jeffrey's bakery which is 100% CY.

Yes, it would need to CY kelim. Is everything at Jeffreys CY?

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: December 23, 2019, 06:17:53 PM »
Yes, it would need to CY kelim. Is everything at Jeffreys CY?
from my understanding only the pizza.

Offline Ploni3

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: December 23, 2019, 11:37:11 PM »
Check with the local Chabad or Rav. I was told that only Jefferies can be considered CY.