Jeffrey’s Bakery
Pita Pan
Pita Plus
Lula by Darna
Metsuyan
Hilel Sports Bar and Grill- Closed
Darna
La Spezia
Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (including 2 at PTY)
Dr. Sandwich
Prime Grill
Forever yogurt in casco viejo- Chalav Yisroel ice cream - Closed down
NEW - Jerusalem Israeli Cuisine by Chabad in Casco Viejo
Supermarkets:
Superkosher
Supermacardo Deli K

Cholov Yisroel:
If you go onto Kosher Panama Website you can search for Cholov Yisroel by entering Jalav Israel in the search, just be aware if the site lists Jalav Israel and Lacteo in the description, the establishment may have both CY and non-CY so be aware and double check with the staff.
SuperKosher also had a nice selection of CY breakfast/snack/frozen items available.

There is a local chalav yisroel that isn't up to everyone's standards. It isn't up to Chabad as they use a lower kasherimg temperature than the alter rebbe holds.
This is what local chabad down there told me. Don't hold me to any of it please.

Synagogue:

The Jewish community in Panama is mainly in Panama City in the Punta Paitilla area.
You must bring your passport with you to enter the shuls. You can bring your passport over during the week if you are not staying in the eruv. They will make a copy of your passport.

Sinagoga Beth El – Orthodox, Ashkenazi. After Shabbat morning services, they have a full sit down Kiddush lunch.
They also serve breakfast after weekday shacharit.
Contact Asistente al Rabino secretaria@centrobethel.com - Déborah Wizel

Shevet Ahim – Sephardic. proper attire required, denied entry for shorts.

Ahavat Sion –

Chabad -  bracha Karniel goldberg  brachagold@gmail.com

Things to Do:
Panama Canal
Amador Causeway
Old City
$30 cabbie for all day
Panama John on FT cab and tour guide
San Blas islands
En Valle Market
Casco Viejo
Barefoot Panama tour company
Boquete
Biosphere
Miraflores Locks
Ancon Hill (tallest point in the City)
Anton Valley (hiking, waterfalls, horseback riding)
Panama Viejo
MultiPlaza (high-end mall)
Parque Natural Metropolitano
Partial canal transit
Monkey Island boat tour
Rainforest Gondola tour
Contadora (Pearl Islands) - whale watching, snorkeling/scuba on Chipera, Mogu Mogu, https://pearlislandsdaytours.com/
Rainbow bass fishing
Ziplining
Rent bikes along the water
Rainforest
Beach- Santa Clara and punta palmar both 1.5+ hours from Panama City
Indigenous tribes
Coffee plantations in the mountains
Whale watching
City tour (includes animals)
Chargres River Tour, hike to waterfall, visit Embrera Indian Village
Hiking Portabello road
Natural Metropolitan Park
www.therealpanamatours.com
Almiza Tours/ My friend mario http://www.bscpma.com/mfm/aboutus.htm (Website not working!)
Colon
Bocas del Toro
Old city/Casco viejo

Hotels:

Getting Around:
Uber is the best way to get around, cheap and reliable (if you go to the rainforest, there might not be any cars available going back, search before)

Notes:

Please Update the Wiki
« Last edited by moishes on February 05, 2024, 05:12:28 PM »

Author Topic: Panama Master Thread  (Read 300033 times)

Offline Minyan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Panama Master Thread
« Reply #1180 on: January 21, 2023, 11:44:52 PM »
What can you do Saturday night?  Any good shopping malls in Panama?

Offline yochai

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: January 22, 2023, 12:11:52 AM »
What can you do Saturday night?  Any good shopping malls in Panama?
Multiplaza

Offline Minyan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: January 22, 2023, 12:25:24 AM »

Offline Minyan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: January 22, 2023, 08:53:36 AM »
Is monkey jungle, canal and emberas alot to do in one day?

Offline shilo dude

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: January 22, 2023, 10:12:54 PM »
Hey all!

so it looks like i may actually be able t vaca from this Wednesday to Monday, I've always been seeking a jungle like experience and so with this trip i hope to achieve it, that said, is there any way i can easily have kosher food at a remote Jungle Lodge in Panama? what is the process for that, how do i know if the lodge will not have shabbos issues with censors etc.. and what is the recommended way to use points on getting to panama (i have Chase Amex and united points)

P.S. here's a link of where i want to stay https://www.thejunglelodge.com/?locale=en
is it safe to assume i'll just b able to bring along a betty crocker for scrambled eggs and try using their oven to warm up double wrapped food?

thanks all

Online Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: January 22, 2023, 10:36:37 PM »
Hey all!

so it looks like i may actually be able t vaca from this Wednesday to Monday, I've always been seeking a jungle like experience and so with this trip i hope to achieve it, that said, is there any way i can easily have kosher food at a remote Jungle Lodge in Panama? what is the process for that, how do i know if the lodge will not have shabbos issues with censors etc.. and what is the recommended way to use points on getting to panama (i have Chase Amex and united points)

P.S. here's a link of where i want to stay https://www.thejunglelodge.com/?locale=en
is it safe to assume i'll just b able to bring along a betty crocker for scrambled eggs and try using their oven to warm up double wrapped food?

thanks all
I imagine the best way to clarify whether they have sensors and they're willing to warm up your food (and keep it frozen until then) would be to contact them. Google has their number listed as +507 6517-4718, and there's an email address at the bottom of their website.

Lots of ideas for food while travelling in this thread (especially the wiki): What Do You Do For Kosher Food While Traveling?

FYI that hotel seems fully booked for your dates.

Offline shilo dude

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: January 23, 2023, 05:33:07 PM »
Thanks, so change of plans im goin to go for pty be there till sunday then go for this lodge till tuesday, i tried the number but no answer, otherwise any suggestions how to spend shaabos in pty will be landing wednesday 8pm and leaving for BOC (the jungle lodge) sunday morning

otherwise thanks

Offline shilo dude

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: January 23, 2023, 06:59:57 PM »
Seems like i lost the business class through Aeroplan with Copa from Jfk to Pty 25K roundtrip for this wednesday, any clue if it may come up again? or another way to get ?

Thanks

Offline noah32

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: January 24, 2023, 10:28:36 AM »
Just came back and wanted to add some info that might be helpful.

Ubers/Renting a car - The prices you've read here are true:)  Don't bother renting a car. We had a family of 7 and had to get 2 ubers each time and it was a breeze and super cheap. One ride was 25 minutes and cost 7 dollars. It's ridiculous.

Residence Inn - We loved it and would go back again. The Super K is literally in the hotel. They will send someone with you to bring your groceries back to your hotel room for free (obviously should tip). They have everything you could ever need there.
Duck tape worked fine for refrigerator and doors, although you don't even really need the tape on the door. You're able to just not close it all the way and it still looks closed completely. Just tell them not to send housekeeping that day or make sure they don't close the door.
They gave us 4 pm late checkout on all 3 of our rooms with no hassle at all (did it through the app). Housekeeping came EVERY DAY (and before noon) which was great. Not used to that these days.
We were on the lowest possible floor (5) but it's a lot more than 5 flights to get up there. More like 10. But they have staff (although limited) who will go in the elevator with you if you need.
Pool is great but small and NO UMBRELLAS and only 5 or 6 loungers.

Chabad and Beth El were both great, but Beth El definitely had better food.

PTY Airport - Lounge is so crowded it's not worth going. I did not realize they have extra security to even sit in the gate area and you CANNOT BRING LIQUIDS. So you can't bring water into the airport and then can't bring it by the gate either. And Copa is very stingy with their drink service - basically give you a 6 ounce cup and refill once per flight. On a 6 hour flight. It was horrible and annoying. Also planes have no wifi, no chargers, and no entertainment. But it's the only direct flight from Chicago.

Offline shilo dude

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: January 24, 2023, 12:42:32 PM »
Just came back and wanted to add some info that might be helpful.

Ubers/Renting a car - The prices you've read here are true:)  Don't bother renting a car. We had a family of 7 and had to get 2 ubers each time and it was a breeze and super cheap. One ride was 25 minutes and cost 7 dollars. It's ridiculous.

Residence Inn - We loved it and would go back again. The Super K is literally in the hotel. They will send someone with you to bring your groceries back to your hotel room for free (obviously should tip). They have everything you could ever need there.
Duck tape worked fine for refrigerator and doors, although you don't even really need the tape on the door. You're able to just not close it all the way and it still looks closed completely. Just tell them not to send housekeeping that day or make sure they don't close the door.
They gave us 4 pm late checkout on all 3 of our rooms with no hassle at all (did it through the app). Housekeeping came EVERY DAY (and before noon) which was great. Not used to that these days.
We were on the lowest possible floor (5) but it's a lot more than 5 flights to get up there. More like 10. But they have staff (although limited) who will go in the elevator with you if you need.
Pool is great but small and NO UMBRELLAS and only 5 or 6 loungers.

Chabad and Beth El were both great, but Beth El definitely had better food.

PTY Airport - Lounge is so crowded it's not worth going. I did not realize they have extra security to even sit in the gate area and you CANNOT BRING LIQUIDS. So you can't bring water into the airport and then can't bring it by the gate either. And Copa is very stingy with their drink service - basically give you a 6 ounce cup and refill once per flight. On a 6 hour flight. It was horrible and annoying. Also planes have no wifi, no chargers, and no entertainment. But it's the only direct flight from Chicago.

Thanks super helpful am Be'H flying this Thusday morning, any attractions you'd suggest in panama city area? im going with just my wife, Thursday night Fri, and shaabos  then going to Bocas,

Offline UKinNYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: January 24, 2023, 04:41:18 PM »
see wiki, depends on ur interest and time, causeway and old city for chill, monkey island is fun...
Thanks super helpful am Be'H flying this Thusday morning, any attractions you'd suggest in panama city area? im going with just my wife, Thursday night Fri, and shaabos  then going to Bocas,

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: January 24, 2023, 08:22:29 PM »
canal and monkey islands
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline shilo dude

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: January 24, 2023, 11:34:58 PM »
should i try ziplining? or is it just a shlep

Offline Minyan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: January 24, 2023, 11:44:13 PM »
Is Gamboa Rain Forest worth the extra $40.00 a person?  We are going to Monkey island and the canal?

Offline UKinNYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: January 25, 2023, 12:27:42 PM »
FYI when I went ziplining at https://lagranjapanama.com/product/canopy/ last cable was frayed and we had to skip..  ::)
should i try ziplining? or is it just a shlep

Online JudahMcB

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: January 26, 2023, 10:26:15 AM »
Looks like the maximum occupancy for most nice hotels in Panama is 4 and they are pretty strict about it. We're a family of 5. Any suggestions where to stay near the Jewish/Kosher Punta Paitilla neighborhood that can accommodate 5 adults and teens comfortably in one room? The Residence Inn or Sortis seem to be the places everyone recommends these days but they only have 2 double beds + sofa bed. Don't love the idea of sharing a double bed when on vacation and kids always complain about sofa beds. Could get 2 connecting rooms but that's expensive and not ideal.

The Marriott Panama 3 queen bed family room looks like a great option that would fit us comfortably (and only $150/night!) but it's far from the Punta Paitilla area.

I went through most of the TRs here but it's mostly families with young kids or couples. Any other suggestions? Any DP's on what other families have done?

Offline Minyan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: January 29, 2023, 12:36:52 AM »
Is it worth it to go to Embera Village?

Offline shopcomputer

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
    • nysolutions.com
« Reply #1197 on: January 29, 2023, 05:10:28 PM »
Looks like the maximum occupancy for most nice hotels in Panama is 4 and they are pretty strict about it. We're a family of 5. Any suggestions where to stay near the Jewish/Kosher Punta Paitilla neighborhood that can accommodate 5 adults and teens comfortably in one room? The Residence Inn or Sortis seem to be the places everyone recommends these days but they only have 2 double beds + sofa bed. Don't love the idea of sharing a double bed when on vacation and kids always complain about sofa beds. Could get 2 connecting rooms but that's expensive and not ideal.

The Marriott Panama 3 queen bed family room looks like a great option that would fit us comfortably (and only $150/night!) but it's far from the Punta Paitilla area.

I went through most of the TRs here but it's mostly families with young kids or couples. Any other suggestions? Any DP's on what other families have done?

AirBNB?
https://www.gokosherpanama.com/rentals ?

Online JudahMcB

• View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: January 29, 2023, 05:44:44 PM »

Offline Young explorer

• View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: January 29, 2023, 08:07:33 PM »
Anyone ever stayed at the Hyatt Hotel La Compañia?
its further down but like a 15 drive from kosher spots
with great Hyatt points redemption