Topic Wiki

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1885.msg1810987#msg1810987

Emergency numbers
Police 100
Hatzolah AND Ambulance 101
Fire 102

Drivers - Yisroel - Executive Drives - 972-58 411 1671 - see page 654, post 9800 for review

Misc. Reviews
Shmelly

Activities

Jerusalem Area

Begin Museum- outside the Old City
Caliber 3- Shooting Range in Gush Etzion
Ramparts Walk- on top of the Old City walls
Kotel Tunnel Tours/Old City Jewish and/or Muslim Quarter Tours (PM satturn if you want a private tour)
Old City Jewish and Muslim Quarter Tours (pm @satturn )
Time Elevator in Jerusalem- Don't waste your time.
City of David (Ir David)-Amazing-you must take a tour to fully understand the site.
Segway tour-interesting way to waste a few hrs-NOT an absolute must do
Biking - Beatiful trails in the valleys outside of the city. PM Drago if interested.
http://tmsifting.org/en/visitor-and-volunteer-information/
https://www.patbamelach.com/
https://www.galita.co.il/en

Tel Aviv/Center

Blind or Deaf Museum in Cholon- Blind, amazing. Deaf, good. Prior reservation needed.
Hagana Museum in Tel Aviv--15NIS per adult; students free; a bit disjointed and kind of fake acting in the videos, but mostly very interesting and educational.
Bullet Factory in Rechovot
Mini Israel- Love it or hate it

North

https://www.k-k.co.il/?lang=en
Rosh Hanikra- Way up north

Golan Heights

Tel Dan nature reserve (similiar to Banias Waterfall -slightly easier & toddler friendly)
Banias Waterfall
Nimrod's Fortress in the Golan
Kayaking down the Jordan River
Mount Hermon Ski Lift
Mount Bental Overlook/Bunkers
Golan Heights Winery
Yehudiya Nature Reserve Hiking
https://www.de-karina.co.il/product/%D7%A1%D7%99%D7%95%D7%A8-%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%93%D7%A8%D7%9A/
http://www.pri-beresheet.co.il/%D7%9E%D7%A8%D7%9B%D7%96_%D7%9E%D7%91%D7%A7%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%9D

South

Nachal Dragot (aka Darja)- an intense hike near the Dead Sea
Sunrise tour of Masada, Ein Gedi, and Dead Sea aprx $70

« Last edited by satturn on July 08, 2019, 03:45:54 PM »

Author Topic: Things To Do In Israel Master Thread  (Read 1103674 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Israel Master Thread: Things To Do, Places To Eat
« Reply #10230 on: May 04, 2018, 04:16:25 PM »
hotels are easier, but the idea, tedious it is, is to talk with the mashgiach and figure out how they handle truma, which meat they use, are they indeed truly CY, veggies gush katif, and which other hechshers are acceptable for use at the establishment. Am I missing anything?
Why would hotels be easier than a restaurant?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline e-Lawyer

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10231 on: May 04, 2018, 06:19:57 PM »
Forgot temidi for meat
How do you get a group of lawyers to smile for a picture?

A: Just say "Fees!"

Offline e-Lawyer

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10232 on: May 04, 2018, 06:22:02 PM »
Why would hotels be easier than a restaurant?
in my limited experience, I found that usually the mashgiach is always on site, regardless of milk/meat. Restaurant, usually only for meat restaurants are they onsite. Also, a restaurant is usually a much more hectic environment for a mashgiach, whereas a hotel has limited buffet mealtimes and hence easier time having a convo with the mashgiach...

As well, due to the nature of the hotels buffet, it is much easier to find food you *can* eat, than a restaurant...
How do you get a group of lawyers to smile for a picture?

A: Just say "Fees!"

Offline emjee

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10233 on: May 05, 2018, 03:50:08 PM »
Politics aside, can I trust the hechshers under Israel here?
https://kosherquest.org/kosher-symbols/
For sure a lot of them but i wouldnt say all

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #10234 on: May 05, 2018, 09:47:42 PM »
Worth going to Bahai gardens? Any halachic issues?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #10235 on: May 05, 2018, 10:36:12 PM »
AFAIK, it's not an issue. Same as a mosque I believe. Definitely don't quote me on that though.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline Abey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Israel Master Thread: Things To Do, Places To Eat
« Reply #10236 on: May 05, 2018, 11:49:32 PM »
def worth a visit if it fits youíre schedule and itís not too hot. A few tips:entrance to the main garden(insta worthy) is only via guided tours they run tours in a few languages including English,tours run on different times each day and end as early as 3 (personal experience of showing up and only let in to a little patch ) entrance is free iirc. About the building, me and my friends didnít enter as itís a shrine to a dead man. The whole Bahaíi culture is explained and is fascinating! our guide was an American,as all believers have to make a pilgrimage once in a lifetime to do work on the garden.they have a Congress where Bahaíi matters are discussed.
Definitely go itís not too long of a tour,maybe an hour or so,you start on top of the mountain and walk steps all the way down....
See my (edited) picture

Offline Abey

• View Profile
« Reply #10237 on: May 06, 2018, 12:10:50 AM »
def worth a visit if it fits youíre schedule and itís not too hot. A few tips:entrance to the main garden(insta worthy) is only via guided tours they run tours in a few languages including English,tours run on different times each day and end as early as 3 (personal experience of showing up and only let in to a little patch ) entrance is free iirc. About the building, me and my friends didnít enter as itís a shrine to a dead man. The whole Bahaíi culture is explained and is fascinating! our guide was an American,as all believers have to make a pilgrimage once in a lifetime to do work on the garden.they have a Congress where Bahaíi matters are discussed.
Definitely go itís not too long of a tour,maybe an hour or so,you start on top of the mountain and walk steps all the way down....
See my (edited) picture
https://www.ganbahai.org.il/en/tours/#currenttimetable

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #10238 on: May 06, 2018, 02:11:42 AM »
Going to take my 5th trip to Israel in the past 11 years and still no clue which restaurant hashgochas are good and which are not. So much simpler in the US...
Is it really? There are many times more hechserim in the US then in Israel. There are roughly 10 standard ones in Israel.
Do you not have access to a single Rav in Israel that you trust and will listen to whatever he says?

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #10239 on: May 06, 2018, 06:57:13 AM »
Is it really? There are many times more hechserim in the US then in Israel. There are roughly 10 standard ones in Israel.
Do you not have access to a single Rav in Israel that you trust and will listen to whatever he says?
Most hechsherim you run into on a daily basis here are on your run of the mill modern orthodox - "yeshivish" Jews list of things they eat.

Same can't be said for Israel.

And in Israel you have many more hechsherim that some people hold and their neighbor doesn't even though they may be from same type of community. It gets complicated real quickly.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #10240 on: May 06, 2018, 07:11:10 AM »

Most hechsherim you run into on a daily basis here are on your run of the mill modern orthodox - "yeshivish" Jews list of things they eat.

Same can't be said for Israel.

And in Israel you have many more hechsherim that some people hold and their neighbor doesn't even though they may be from same type of community. It gets complicated real quickly.

What everyone does doesn't make something less complicated from a halachik point of view.  How do you know "input hasgacho of choice here" is any good? Do you know their shitos across the board? Do you know what they hold in regards to slight complications in bishul akum? Or what they rely on to kasher chocolate factories? Or  a full list of other hechserim they will rely on? Or what the standards of the masgiach they hire by the event is? Or the other million questions.
I imagine not, and you are relying on a holy and knowledgeable bearded man to relay accurate info which you lean on.
So why can't you have the same for hasgachos in Israel? Find a knowledgeable and trustworthy rav in Israel to ask all your questions to.
Don't point to crowd ignorance and tell me that's what makes it complicated.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #10241 on: May 06, 2018, 07:32:50 AM »

What everyone does doesn't make something less complicated from a halachik point of view.  How do you know "input hasgacho of choice here" is any good? Do you know their shitos across the board? Do you know what they hold in regards to slight complications in bishul akum? Or what they rely on to kasher chocolate factories? Or  a full list of other hechserim they will rely on? Or what the standards of the masgiach they hire by the event is? Or the other million questions.
I imagine not, and you are relying on a holy and knowledgeable bearded man to relay accurate info which you lean on.
So why can't you have the same for hasgachos in Israel? Find a knowledgeable and trustworthy rav in Israel to ask all your questions to.
Don't point to crowd ignorance and tell me that's what makes it complicated.
Honestly, I think a lot of peoples Ravs here in the US aren't familiar 100% about all the hechsherim.

Meanwhile you seem to be getting 'defensive' about it.
 Why is it so crazy a thought that the ways of a certain place might make it harder to know which hechsherim you follow versus another?

"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Abey

• View Profile
« Reply #10242 on: May 06, 2018, 09:31:56 AM »
Going to take my 5th trip to Israel in the past 11 years and still no clue which restaurant hashgochas are good and which are not. So much simpler in the US...
2 jews 3 opinions....only more so in israel

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #10243 on: May 06, 2018, 10:29:22 AM »

Honestly, I think a lot of peoples Ravs here in the US aren't familiar 100% about all the hechsherim.

That would be a reason for it to seem less complicated.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #10244 on: May 06, 2018, 05:42:59 PM »
Every city has their own rabanut mehadrin. Are they on a level of the OU in the US?
Beit Yosef?
I never spent time in Israel other than short vacations here and there, why would I have a Rov there?

Never have any issue when I go to Chicago, LA, Miami, Toronto, etc. The major hashgochas are all acceptable and life is simple.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 05:46:21 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.