Topic Wiki

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1885.msg1810987#msg1810987

Emergency numbers
Police 100
Hatzolah AND Ambulance 101
Fire 102

Drivers - Yisroel - Executive Drives - 972-58 411 1671 - see page 654, post 9800 for review

Misc. Reviews
Shmelly

Activities

Jerusalem Area

Begin Museum- outside the Old City
Caliber 3- Shooting Range in Gush Etzion
Ramparts Walk- on top of the Old City walls
Kotel Tunnel Tours/Old City Jewish and/or Muslim Quarter Tours (PM satturn if you want a private tour)
Old City Jewish and Muslim Quarter Tours (pm @satturn )
Time Elevator in Jerusalem- Don't waste your time.
City of David (Ir David)-Amazing-you must take a tour to fully understand the site.
Segway tour-interesting way to waste a few hrs-NOT an absolute must do
Biking - Beatiful trails in the valleys outside of the city. PM Drago if interested.
http://tmsifting.org/en/visitor-and-volunteer-information/
https://www.patbamelach.com/
https://www.galita.co.il/en

Tel Aviv/Center

Blind or Deaf Museum in Cholon- Blind, amazing. Deaf, good. Prior reservation needed.
Hagana Museum in Tel Aviv--15NIS per adult; students free; a bit disjointed and kind of fake acting in the videos, but mostly very interesting and educational.
Bullet Factory in Rechovot
Mini Israel- Love it or hate it

North

https://www.k-k.co.il/?lang=en
Rosh Hanikra- Way up north

Golan Heights

Tel Dan nature reserve (similiar to Banias Waterfall -slightly easier & toddler friendly)
Banias Waterfall
Nimrod's Fortress in the Golan
Kayaking down the Jordan River
Mount Hermon Ski Lift
Mount Bental Overlook/Bunkers
Golan Heights Winery
Yehudiya Nature Reserve Hiking
https://www.de-karina.co.il/product/%D7%A1%D7%99%D7%95%D7%A8-%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%93%D7%A8%D7%9A/
http://www.pri-beresheet.co.il/%D7%9E%D7%A8%D7%9B%D7%96_%D7%9E%D7%91%D7%A7%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%9D

South

Nachal Dragot (aka Darja)- an intense hike near the Dead Sea
Sunrise tour of Masada, Ein Gedi, and Dead Sea aprx $70

« Last edited by satturn on July 08, 2019, 03:45:54 PM »

Author Topic: Things To Do In Israel Master Thread  (Read 1103068 times)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Things To Do In Israel Master Thread
« Reply #10260 on: May 07, 2018, 10:21:25 AM »
They lost their hechsher due to a violation. I wouldn't eat there until they had another reputable hechsher. What's the big deal?
Same goes for Delice in LA. Nothing complicated about that at all.
Maybe. You happen to know the background. What about someone like me who doesn't?
Pretty ballsy to do it in writing. US kashrus agencies have pulled their hashgocha over smaller items than that.
Israelis are more likely to push the limits. Is that the answer to your question in general?
They've told me not recommended before when I've asked. Easy peasy.
And sometimes is is not that clear. You can find hechsherim in Israel where you can get a clear "no good" answer as well to say the least.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #10261 on: May 07, 2018, 10:22:59 AM »
Maybe. You happen to know the background. What about someone like me who doesn't?
You would ask what hechsher they are under and find out that they are not under any?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #10262 on: May 07, 2018, 10:25:39 AM »
You would ask what hechsher they are under and find out that they are not under any?
or find out thay are under some nice sounding hechsher which you don't realize that it is the owner. I wouldn't eat there not knowing exactly who the hechsher is but that is still confusion.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline e-Lawyer

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10263 on: May 07, 2018, 12:39:40 PM »
I think what Dan and many of us are asking/bemoaning is a general lack of standards and known parity across what would otherwise be similiar hachgochas.

For example. In the US, there are 20-30 hechserim that are GRAS (generally recognized as safe), even though there may be nuances. But you know that you are getting a glatt kosher and if specified cholov yisroel and relatively trustworthy hechsher.

In israel, while there is mehadrin (meaningless), the new mehuderet, regilah, and badatz, there is no parity. one mehadrin may be no good, but that's not the problem, the problem is NO KNOWS WHY its no good!. So is it not cy, not glatt, is chalak beit yosef in israel better than glatt or worse, is auerbach good because they split top their chickens? Empire and KAJ dont, as far as I know, do they take teruma in larger batches, is that really a problem? Etc.

wow, have at it... lolol
How do you get a group of lawyers to smile for a picture?

A: Just say "Fees!"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #10264 on: May 07, 2018, 01:51:50 PM »
Don't think they got back to us. We didn't go.
Found the Rav Hamachshir and he emailed me:

כן כל השוקולד הוא חלב ישראל וכל המוצרים מהדרין

הרב ישי סמואל

Now what? Sigh...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #10265 on: May 07, 2018, 02:58:15 PM »

הרב ישי סמואל

Now what? Sigh...
I'll say it again ... When you get to heaven after  120...and they ask you if you ate kosher, you'll have no problem saying you're not sure but you def paid for kosher.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10266 on: May 07, 2018, 03:17:37 PM »
I'll say it again ... When you get to heaven after  120...and they ask you if you ate kosher, you'll have no problem saying you're not sure but you def paid for kosher.
:D

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #10267 on: May 07, 2018, 03:53:19 PM »

הרב ישי סמואל

Now what? Sigh...
Do you trust their supervision?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10268 on: May 07, 2018, 03:59:58 PM »
Do you trust their supervision?
How in the world am I supposed to know anything about הרב ישי סמואל?

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #10269 on: May 07, 2018, 04:02:25 PM »
How in the world am I supposed to know anything about הרב ישי סמואל?
So then do the same thing as you would do with a Rav Hamachshir in the US who you can't find anything out about them. I'm not sure why you are making this more confusing than in the US.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #10270 on: May 07, 2018, 04:07:07 PM »

הרב ישי סמואל

Now what? Sigh...

Am I the only one that finds it odd that an Israeli manufactured product, which is primarily (exclusively?) sold in Israel would use two foreign based Hechsherim?

Westheim is obviously a step down from top level Kashrus, as evidenced by the Tara switchover (apparently a lot more lenient regarding requirements for certifying milk as CY, possibly other issues).

As someone pointed out upthread "מהדרין" is totally meaningless, as it means different things to different people.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10271 on: May 07, 2018, 04:10:20 PM »
So then do the same thing as you would do with a Rav Hamachshir in the US who you can't find anything out about them. I'm not sure why you are making this more confusing than in the US.
In the US I'd call my friend in the OU or ask the CRC. I don't have anything like that for Israel to rely on.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #10272 on: May 07, 2018, 04:17:22 PM »
In the US I'd call my friend in the OU or ask the CRC. I don't have anything like that for Israel to rely on.
What would you do here if the CRC or OU says they don't know the guy? Until you have someone you trust who does know him then that is where you stand with him.

Westheim is obviously a step down from top level Kashrus, as evidenced by the Tara switchover (apparently a lot more lenient regarding requirements for certifying milk as CY, possibly other issues).

I had thought that it was mentioned that they were under Westheim. But then why is it complicated. Either you will go by his standards or not. CRC can tell you about Westheim.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10273 on: May 07, 2018, 04:20:42 PM »
What would you do here if the CRC or OU says they don't know the guy? Until you have someone you trust who does know him then that is where you stand with him.
And that is why Israel is more complicated. There is no general CRC or Star-K type line to call into. Therefore Americans find it complicated.

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #10274 on: May 07, 2018, 04:25:14 PM »

And that is why Israel is more complicated. There is no general CRC or Star-K type line to call into. Therefore Americans find it complicated.
To add to this, there are a lot more establishments that fall into this unknown category. Imagine if 7 of every 10 places you asked the CRC, or whoever you trust, about, you got an unknown? Most places in the US will be deemed kosher or not, by one of a few organizations that most of us trust. That cannot be said about Israel.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.