Topic Wiki

We all would love to help you with resturant recomendations - when asking please specify which US hechsherim you eat - so we can give suggestions you would eat in!

Additional relevent threads

Israel Hotels Master Thread
Short/Long term apartment rentals in Israel Master Thread
Restaurants In Israel Master Thread
Off The Beaten path in Yerushalaim
Shabbos meals in Jerusalem
Golan/Galil, Israel, Master thread
Eilat, Israel, Master Thread
Dead Sea, Israel, Master Thread
Tiberias, Israel Master Thread

Life In Israel Master Thread
Something Fishy's First Trip to Israel - Planning Thread
Help a n00b experience what Israel has to offer.
Israel Trip Report/Blog (I am there now! so tips appreciated)
Frozen meat to Israel
Tel Aviv Hotels Offering Day Passes
How to do Sukkos in Jerusalem
Interesting restaurants in Jerusalm
First time visit to Israel during Purim in March 2024....Mistake?
Trip itinerary planner for israel
Best Stopover Vacation Countries in Europe on Way to Israel
Cruises from Israel
thread discussing highway tolls in Israel
Lag Baomer in Meron 2022
Vacation area in Israel similar to the Catskills?
Best way to get around Israel
Sharm el-Sheikh
Chu"l  Minyan this Shevuos in Yerushalayim
Israel Master Thread: Things To Do, Places To Eat

Emergency numbers
Police 100
Hatzolah AND Ambulance 101 or 1221
Fire 102

Drivers - Yisroel - Executive Drives - 972-58 411 1671 - see page 654, post 9800 for review

Misc. Reviews
Shmelly

Activities

Jerusalem Area

Begin Museum- outside the Old City
Caliber 3- Shooting Range in Gush Etzion
Ramparts Walk- on top of the Old City walls
Tzomet Institute - Alon Shvut
Kotel Tunnel Tours/Old City Jewish and/or Muslim Quarter Tours (PM satturn if you want a private tour)
Old City Jewish and Muslim Quarter Tours (pm @satturn )
Churva/Ramban
Machon Hamikdash
Burnt house
Gichon
4 Sephardi Shuls
Old Yishuv Court
Shiloach/Gichon

2048 - Tlv - Incredible fun experience! Active Activities in each room. cool team game, electrifying, challenging and especially fun!
Time Elevator in Jerusalem- Don't waste your time.
City of David (Ir David)-Amazing-you must take a tour to fully understand the site.
Segway tour-interesting way to waste a few hrs-NOT an absolute must do
Biking - Beatiful trails in the valleys outside of the city. PM Drago if interested.
http://tmsifting.org/en/visitor-and-volunteer-information/
https://www.patbamelach.com/
https://www.galita.co.il/en
Yad Vashem
Martef Hashoah - Kever Dovid
Migdal Dovid- Museum of Jerusalem
Bibical Zoo/Aquarium/Ein Yael
Tax Museum
Gush Katif Museum
Science Museum
Bible Lands Museum
Israel Museum
Italian Jewish Art Museum
Beit Harav Kook
Underground prisoners
Kneset /Rose Garden/Bird watching
Shuk Machane Yehuda - Kever of Gerrer Rebbes
Mearat Tzidkiyahu/Rockefeller Museum
Belz Shul
Har Hatzofim
Har Hazeisim
Har Hamenuchos
Ammunition Hill
CHaggall Windows @ Haddasa
Chutzot HaYotzer/Park Teddy
Great Syn/Jewish Art Museum
National Library
Supreme Court
Jclay
Mamila
Gan Sacher - sports fields, picniking, exercise equpment, amazing huge kids climbing area

Tel Aviv/Center

Blind or Deaf Museum in Cholon- Blind, amazing. Deaf, good. Prior reservation needed.
Hagana Museum in Tel Aviv--15NIS per adult; students free; a bit disjointed and kind of fake acting in the videos, but mostly very interesting and educational.
Bullet Factory in Rechovot

Beit Shemesh to Modiin area (Jerusalem Corridor)

Escape the Machsan escape room (Rechov Nachal Sorek)
Stalactite caves
Renting bikes or the ezraider scooters for the Britannia/Adulam parks
Agrocafe coffee workshop
Several wineries in the area
Lots of towns from first Beit Hamikdash period in Adulam and nearby, worth getting a guide.
Caves from bar kochva period in Adulam
H/T Drago
Mini Israel- Love it or hate it
Latrun Tank Museum - Mini Israel
Slifkin's Tanach Museum
Park Rabin - hiking...
Park Begin - hiking...
Park Modiin -- great for kids
Derech Burma

North

"My Baby - Kids' Airport" - amusement park, mostly indoors, awesome for the entire family. Bowling, wall climbing that all ages can enjoy, bungee jumping, bumper carts, carousels, huge swings, Space Jump, tons, 2 huge buildings. Located in Kfar Yasif, Yarka. Near highways 70 & 85. https://www.mybaby.co.il/about
Kfar Kedem - https://www.k-k.co.il/?lang=en
Rosh Hanikra- Way up north

Golan Heights

Bereshit Apple processing center
Tel Dan nature reserve (similiar to Banias Waterfall -slightly easier & toddler friendly)
Banias Waterfall
Nimrod's Fortress in the Golan
Kayaking down the Jordan River
Mount Hermon Ski Lift
Mount Bental Overlook/Bunkers
Golan Heights Winery
Yehudiya Nature Reserve Hiking

South

Nachal Dragot (aka Darja)- an intense hike near the Dead Sea
Sunrise tour of Masada, Ein Gedi, and Dead Sea aprx $70

Good summary of many hikes:
http://hikingintheholyland.com/

FB group with many ideas of activities
https://www.facebook.com/groups/kidsdaysoutisrael

Separate Beaches - AS OF 2022!
The suitability of the area around the separate beach area varies.

Separate Areas for Men and Women:
Tveria - Kinar Hotel
Tveria - Chof Menachem
Tveria - near Chamei Tveria
Yam Hamelach - International Beach
Yam Hamelach - Chamei Zohar

Men: Mon, Wed, Fri - Women: Sun, Tues, Thurs
Akko X2
Ashdod
Ashkelon
Bat Yam
Chaifa X2
Hertzilya (only in the summer?? BZ only??)
Netanya - Kiryat Sanz
Rishon Letzion
Tel Aviv - Sheraton

Men: Tues, Fri - Women: Mon, Weds
Nahariya

Switches bet Mornings (7a-1p) and Afternoons (1p-7p)
Chadera '
Men Morning: Sun, tues, thurs  - afternoon: Mon, wed, fri
Women Morning: Mon, Weds, Fri - Afternoon: Sun, Tues, Thurs
« Last edited by Euclid on October 03, 2023, 11:46:22 AM »

Author Topic: Things To Do In Israel Master Thread  (Read 2284596 times)

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Israel Master Thread: Things To Do, Places To Eat
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2010, 11:31:43 AM »
Have you been to the new La Gondola or Shiloh's? I'm not sure how those don't qualify as fine dining.  Although granted I had one bad experience at Shiloh's but otherwise very positive.
And Tierra Sur is incredible, especially with the Costco certs!

TS even w/o the Costco cards is suppose to be awesume and worth it. But Im usually alone out there so fast service is how I go. And the Fish Grill is the slowest I want to come across

Ok havent done the new LaG and will admitt I didnt know they changed

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2010, 09:13:15 PM »
As we were traveling with a toddler, we did more eating than anything else.

Some places we ate and things we did:

While staying at the CP, we walked to the kosel on shabbos afternoon and took the bus back for free after shabbos.
We got our food for shabbos from heimishe essen in rechavia which was a tad pricey but delicious food.

-We ate at cafe rimon-fleishig which was good as usual.
-We ate at a place on emek refaim called "cafe cafe" which apparently is a dairy chain restaurant. This one was under rabbanut yerushalayim mehadrin. It was pretty good and i would eat there again if we went back.
-We ate ate at primavera on yom hazikoron as it was the only restaurant we could find that was still open after 8 pm. The food was pretty good, however the servise was lousy as they were really packed and we were sitting right by the door.
-Korusin in Malcha mall is chinese food and had a nice business lunch (appetizer, soup and main) until 6 pm for only 49 NIS

In tiveriya:
-we ate dinner at a place called cuizina which did not impress us.
-The next night we ate dinner at a place 3 doors down from cuizina (towards the kinneret) which was much better and gave much nicer portions. I dont remember the name of it )might have been called besari or something like that) but it was the only restaurant there under the rubin hashgacha...
-For breakfast, we ate at sherrys one morning which was amazing.
-The next morning we ate at Cafe C and were disappointed after such a great meal at sherrys. We even went back to sherrys after breakfast the second day to get their outstanding ice coffee (they put a ball of ice cream in it and whipped cream-very good!)

Something we did that would be great for anyone with kids: Near bet she'an, there is a place called gan guru. It is basically a kangaroo park with lots of other stuff. You are able to walk right up to the kangaroos and feed them, pet them etc. My son had a great time with them. There were some other animals there too. Admission was pretty cheap and i had a 10% coupon from the tourist information place in tiveriya.

Offline rm

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2010, 12:14:29 AM »
I suggest visit a visit up north, Tzefas, Meron ect and down south, toward the Yam Hamelech, Masada and Ein Gedi. If you can stop at many Kevarim, depending on your direction, the Rambam, R Meir Baal Haness, Amukah, R Akiva, Rochel(R Akivas wife) ect. The Zoo is a nice trip in Yerushalayim. If you just want a regular lunch, you can go to Sams Bagels.

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2010, 02:27:15 AM »
As we were traveling with a toddler, we did more eating than anything else.

Some places we ate and things we did:

While staying at the CP, we walked to the kosel on shabbos afternoon and took the bus back for free after shabbos.
We got our food for shabbos from heimishe essen in rechavia which was a tad pricey but delicious food.

-We ate at cafe rimon-fleishig which was good as usual.
-We ate at a place on emek refaim called "cafe cafe" which apparently is a dairy chain restaurant. This one was under rabbanut yerushalayim mehadrin. It was pretty good and i would eat there again if we went back.
-We ate ate at primavera on yom hazikoron as it was the only restaurant we could find that was still open after 8 pm. The food was pretty good, however the servise was lousy as they were really packed and we were sitting right by the door.
-Korusin in Malcha mall is chinese food and had a nice business lunch (appetizer, soup and main) until 6 pm for only 49 NIS

In tiveriya:
-we ate dinner at a place called cuizina which did not impress us.
-The next night we ate dinner at a place 3 doors down from cuizina (towards the kinneret) which was much better and gave much nicer portions. I dont remember the name of it )might have been called besari or something like that) but it was the only restaurant there under the rubin hashgacha...
-For breakfast, we ate at sherrys one morning which was amazing.
-The next morning we ate at Cafe C and were disappointed after such a great meal at sherrys. We even went back to sherrys after breakfast the second day to get their outstanding ice coffee (they put a ball of ice cream in it and whipped cream-very good!)

Something we did that would be great for anyone with kids: Near bet she'an, there is a place called gan guru. It is basically a kangaroo park with lots of other stuff. You are able to walk right up to the kangaroos and feed them, pet them etc. My son had a great time with them. There were some other animals there too. Admission was pretty cheap and i had a 10% coupon from the tourist information place in tiveriya.

Welcome back!!
  Thanks for the reports. Where did you stay in Tiveria? What rates?

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2010, 10:34:28 PM »
Welcome back!!
  Thanks for the reports. Where did you stay in Tiveria? What rates?

When looking for hotels, they all seemed to have pretty bad reviews and pretty expensive. I did not feel like wasting 15,000 priority club points on the holiday inn which looked terrible. I figured if im paying $, i should at least get something nice.

I found an apartment on a website called diradirect.com
There are only 3 apartments listed there in tiveriya and all three are listed by the same person-Devora.
They are rented out by an agency in tiveriya (meaning she is not the owner).

We booked them very last minute so i ended up paying only 550 NIS per night (~$147) We stayed in the one called echad ha'am (which is the name of the street its on.) It was a little bit out off the beaten path and you need a car to get there. Here is a map of where it was: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Ahad+Ha%27Am+118,+Tiberias/Tverya,+Israel&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=%D7%90%D7%97%D7%93+%D7%94%D7%A2%D7%9D+118,+%D7%98%D7%91%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%94,+Israel&gl=us&ei=ua_PS-WCC5O4NoGl_MgG&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CAwQ8gEwAA

It was pretty nice inside. It was small. basically 1.5 bedrooms upstairs with a bathroom. Downstairs was a kitchen, living room, dining area, marpesset overlooking kinneret, washing machine with detergent etc. It was fully furnished. There was a bottle of wine on the table which i think was for us (even though we didnt drink it). There was coffee, sugar etc. Bag of bought-ice in the freezer (something i could not find for the life of me the week before) A/c. ample parking. about a 5-6 minute drive to where the restaurants are. About a 3 minute drive to the shtiblach. Unbelievable view of the kinneret. You can see from the map that its practically on the kinneret. The road between you and the kinneret is way down below as you are very high up.

If you are going with a baby, keep in mind that their cribs are not meant for a baby that can stand up already as it was kind of small.

Another option we saw was some tzimmers. We did not end up doing that because we wanted more than one room as we were with a toddler. This one: http://www.booking.com/hotel/il/view-10.en.html?aid=314059;label=tripad-il-45966;sid=f575abb1242ca47e829a9f1074801ffc;checkin=2010-04-13;checkout=2010-04-16 called "nof 10" had pretty good reviews on trip advisor and looks really nice. I found many other tzimmers looking around and for sure would have stayed in one had we been by ourselves. Keep in mind that nof 10 and some others are in a place called amirim which is strictly vegetarian and will not allow you to bring any sort of meat in.

On a separate note, another thing we did (more of a yerushalayim/ tel-aviv activity) was the safari/zoo in ramat gan. Entrance was 55 NIS a person but was worth it IMO. You basically drive in and can drive right up to the animals: zebras and lots of other animals. They say not to feed them, but ive seen many people do it anyways. If you open your windows and stick your hand out, the animals will come right up to your car windows sometimes. (i have a picture from a few years ago of a zebra eating a piece of matza out of my lap while im sitting in the car) There is a lion area you can drive through which is kind of dumb as the lions just sit way in the back behind an electric fence and dont move. Then you can park and in the middle is a zoo. The zoo is smaller than the biblical zoo, but was still enjoyable. To top it off, once you're in ramat gan you can hit up el gauchos which is like 10 minutes away.

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2010, 11:29:26 PM »
Nice reports!!

Offline arih

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2010, 10:28:35 AM »
Hi i just booked my trip to isreal for 2 weeks in august the last time i was there was 15 years ago
i just got married and going with my wife for our honeymoon and i would appriciate trip tips on where and what do do,eat,sleep,fun,etc.....                          thanks

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2010, 10:40:04 AM »
http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=1885.0 (the search button is on the top right ;) )

Offline Chachem Balaileh

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Gold, KingFisher Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Gold,Accor Gold,National Executive, Hertz PC,Delta Gold medallion
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2010, 12:58:25 PM »
Went 1 night to Art Meat was not impressed at all by far less then any american steakhouse.

Decks in teveria is a must.(kashrus at ur own risk)

Uzi's Falafel not impressed try falafel teimani on Neviem street amazing.

:) Smile & G-d will give u a reason to smile

Offline Mikeoracle

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2010, 01:07:50 PM »
1. sheyan on ramban st (asian fusion)
2. keyara also on ramban
3. primavera in the leonardo
4. entrecote in har chotzvim

5. el gaucho in ramat gan

Another vote for Keyara! we ate there and were very impressed, one of the nicest dining experiences I ever had. Top notch service, great food and wine selection. We were 6 people and had appetizers + main dishes which included a few steaks, wine and desserts for about 1100 or so Shekel.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2010, 01:14:09 PM »
the best restaurant in yerushalayim hands down is Arcadia near agripas. i dont eat there though, because its treif

Offline Chachem Balaileh

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Gold, KingFisher Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Gold,Accor Gold,National Executive, Hertz PC,Delta Gold medallion
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2010, 01:17:34 PM »
the best restaurant in yerushalayim hands down is Arcadia near agripas. i dont eat there though, because its treif
U can always klap al cheit

Offline Mikeoracle

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2010, 01:23:52 PM »
How do you know it is good?? ??? :o

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2010, 01:35:35 PM »
Went 1 night to Art Meat was not impressed at all by far less then any american steakhouse.

Decks in teveria is a must.(kashrus at ur own risk)

Uzi's Falafel not impressed try falafel teimani on Neviem street amazing.

Is Deck's mehadrin?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Chachem Balaileh

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2010, 02:17:02 PM »
Is Deck's mehadrin?
Dono for sure but i just followed the heimeshe crowds coming from miron lag b'omer & many many ultra heimishe families stopped there for supper.i guess they know more then me

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2010, 03:38:49 PM »
maybe they were all following the one am haoretz. all the restaurant websites i checked say its regular rabanut which is very bad. in all my years living here and the numerous times ive been to tiveriya not once did i hear of anyone i know that ate there. it just wasnt an option for a reliable place to eat in tiveria. frankly, i never even heard of the place until now and i pretty know of every place in israel (reliable of course) as im a restaurant kinda guy

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2010, 03:41:48 PM »
So what's with Papagaio?
I've asked a bunch of people, most say it's fine and any issues that there may have been have been corrected but others say OU mehadrin in Israel just isn't all that great.
The OU says that their Israel standards are just as strict as their standards in the US are.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2010, 03:49:09 PM »
i spoke to the new head of ou, i was satisfied with what he told me, and i ate there (he mentioned that r' belsky recently ate there too). if you go, you have to get the "brazillian table", its quite an experience. if you want i can email you a 10% off coupon.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2010, 04:06:10 PM »
i spoke to the new head of ou, i was satisfied with what he told me, and i ate there (he mentioned that r' belsky recently ate there too). if you go, you have to get the "brazillian table", its quite an experience. if you want i can email you a 10% off coupon.
Thanks for the info! What exactly did the OU head tell you?
Already printed up the 10% off!

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2010, 04:26:47 PM »
that he basically turned it around. he learned at the yeshiva of south fallsburg, so we speak the same language