Author Topic: first time Credit card. 100,000k+ yearly in purchases  (Read 1027 times)

Offline bigbutbald

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
first time Credit card. 100,000k+ yearly in purchases
« on: August 07, 2012, 05:40:14 PM »
Hi!

I'm a total credit card noob, having only ever used debit cards. I think that means I have absolutely no credit score.

I'm a US citizen, have US based bank account, debit card, social security number, etc, but live in Central America, and own a retail company. I spend 100,000k+ yearly on purchases from distributors in the states that accept credit cards as payments. The last three years I've been doing direct bank transfers, and someone only very recently told me I should be paying via credit card to get things like air miles. That sounds great, but I don't know how to go about doing it. Like I said, I can easily put 100,000k on the card every year, however I don't qualify for any of the cards on this site, because I don't have any credit score. I've never bought a house in the states, or anything like that.

What's a good first credit card I can qualify for with no credit score?
How long does it take to build up credit to the place where I can qualify for a better card that will get me air miles? Since I'm mostly wanting air miles, what's a good card once I have the score to qualify for it?

Thanks for any advice. I'm lost!

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: first time Credit card. 100,000k+ yearly in purchases
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 05:50:50 PM »
Hi!

I'm a total credit card noob, having only ever used debit cards. I think that means I have absolutely no credit score.

I'm a US citizen, have US based bank account, debit card, social security number, etc, but live in Central America, and own a retail company. I spend 100,000k+ yearly on purchases from distributors in the states that accept credit cards as payments. The last three years I've been doing direct bank transfers, and someone only very recently told me I should be paying via credit card to get things like air miles. That sounds great, but I don't know how to go about doing it. Like I said, I can easily put 100,000k on the card every year, however I don't qualify for any of the cards on this site, because I don't have any credit score. I've never bought a house in the states, or anything like that.

How long does it take to build up credit to the place where I can qualify for a better card that will get me air miles? Since I'm mostly wanting air miles, what's a good card once I have the score to qualify for it?

Are these purchases made from US based companies?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline bigbutbald

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 07:39:01 PM »
Yes, that is correct. In the end it would be US bank account, paying US company. Just that the money comes in from out of country, which, I think is irrelevant to the question??

Online sillypainter

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 12:54:53 AM »
Start with the INK bold and INK plus cards from Chase, they both have 50k signup bonuses and they also have no forex fee charges, so it might even pay to use them for local purchases.

You could transfer the Chase points (called ultimate rewards) to united and british.

Being from south america (where american might be stronger) you might want to consider a citi AA card, but again it depends what you want to do with your points.

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 02:19:52 AM »
Start with the INK bold and INK plus cards from Chase, they both have 50k signup bonuses and they also have no forex fee charges, so it might even pay to use them for local purchases.

You could transfer the Chase points (called ultimate rewards) to united and british.

Being from south america (where american might be stronger) you might want to consider a citi AA card, but again it depends what you want to do with your points.
Problem is
...That sounds great, ... however I don't qualify for any of the cards on this site, because I don't have any credit score. I've never bought a house in the states, or anything like that.

Judging from my personal experience and from what I've read, Ink cards is not on the easier side...
I'd recommend the Chase Freedom card, which from my experience, and according to Credit Karma (they actually see who gets approved and for which cards), would be your easiest bet for a mileage card (becomes eligible for mileage -after transferring the points to someone else's Sapphire preferred card or Ink Bold).

Although you may want to first try opening a store CC like Macys or Gap, just to build your credit...

Best of luck!