Topic Wiki

List of TR's:

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
Pita Planet located at 4025 N. Kings HWY Unit 5 has Mediterranean style meat/vegetarian food. (under Chabad of Myrtle Beach supervision).
The Food Lion located at 1241 38th Avenue North has a selection of staples and even kosher meat (Empire).
The owner of Pita Planet opened a makolet style grocery with more kosher products than Food Lion - call for more info. They also have hot plates etc. for rent.
Jerusalem Mediterranean Restaurant & Bar is NOT kosher.

Synagogue:
https://www.jewishmyrtlebeach.com
https://www.bethelmyrtlebeach.com

Things to Do:
Lots and lots of mini golf places, here's one that's up the block from the Hilton; https://myrtlebeachfamilygolf.com/captain-hooks/
Rockin' Jump Trampoline Park - https://rockinjump.com/myrtlebeach/
Outdoor water park  - https://www.myrtlewaves.com/
Go karts - https://broadwaygrandprix.com/go-kart-tracks/
https://www.ripleys.com/myrtlebeach/

Hotels:
https://www.dunesvillage.com/ - Very dated but has 2 indoor water parks so it's nice in the winter especially since it's off season so it's ridiculously cheap and amazingly empty! Not walkable to chabad but about 15 minutes from Beth El
https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/south-carolina/ocean-22-by-hilton-grand-vacations-MYRTTGV/index.html - nice modern hotel with suites only. About 20 min walk to chabad

Getting Around:

Notes:
« Last edited by Euclid on January 30, 2024, 02:34:49 PM »

Author Topic: Myrtle Beach Master Thread  (Read 40562 times)

Offline Jm1248

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Myrtle Beach Master Thread
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2018, 11:05:00 PM »
Based on this:

There are no other eateries?
I don’t think there are any others

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2018, 08:39:23 AM »
Looks like the only direct flights are with spirit from LGA. Not sure which part is worse   :-\
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2018, 03:55:00 PM »
I’d want to check out Myrtle Beach sometime, but the Wiki could use a bit more information, i reckon
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Zevi16

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2018, 06:08:19 PM »
I’d want to check out Myrtle Beach sometime, but the Wiki could use a bit more information, i reckon
I want to go too. DO?

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2018, 07:13:58 PM »
This is what chabad just told me:

Welcome!

Fall and the holidays season are a wonderful times to visit Myrtle beach. Many families do so.

We have a minyan twice a day every day Baruch HaShem. 8:00am and at candle lighting time for mincha maariv. Shabbat morning we pray at 10:00am with a full community meal there after. All are invited no need for reservations. No charge, donations are always appreciated, but no pressure...

We are still working on our Pesach plans. We will be glad to hear what you need and try to include it in our service.

Hospitality is available for Friday night meal, some prefer two order as the hour is late and walk is great. We will be glad to have you over. We don't have an eruv yet.

Many affordable hotels in walking distance. Two Sheratons, Caribbean's , Breakers, Patricia Grand, The Palms , Anderson inn, Dayton house, Carolinian and Camelot just to name a few. A new one - Hilton grand vacation on 22 Ave N. all about within 10 minutes walk.

With great disappointment we are hereby to announce that the Jerusalem restaurant is not kosher any longer.  

Our kosher caterer is Nina and will take orders at (843) 457- 1852‬

Food Lion at the corner of 38th Ave N and Hwy 17 Bypass  - 1241 38th Ave N. has a whole line of meat and milk kosher products. In four sections. Dry, meat and milk fridges and frozen. Yes, they will have Cholov Yisrael, great verity,  but we can't guarantee availability of products.

You could see more details on our web site jewishmyrtlebeach.com Stay in touch.

Our Street address is 2803 N. Oak street Myrtle Beach SC youri

For more information call Rabbi Naparstek cell at 8433852238

Online efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2018, 08:26:01 PM »
Looks like the only direct flights are with spirit from LGA. Not sure which part is worse   :-\
I believe spirit has direct flights from AC. option for Lakewood people.

The Sheraton is fantastic, especially with kids

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2018, 09:01:22 PM »

Which sheraton? This one? https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/myrsi-sheraton-myrtle-beach-convention-center-hotel/

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2018, 09:46:19 PM »
Based on this:

Myrtle beach is very kid friendly. Most hotels have indoor waterparks, some have bowling, arcades, etc... I stayed at Dunes village resort, was great! It has 2 indoor waterparks that are excellent for kids... The beach will be too cold cuz its approx 50 degrees there, but can prob play in the sand.... Also its not too far from miami...

I'd like to also stay at the dunes village given it's close to the beth el shul. The question is, does anyone know if the hechsher is reliable? If yes we'd love to partake in the lunch that they offer on Shabbos.

I asked the rav (https://www.bethelmyrtlebeach.com/contact-us) from there what the hasgacha is and he said "mehadrin"..

Offline Zevi16

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2018, 10:57:04 PM »

What should I do about kids for Shabbos? I would love to eat at the chabad but seeing as there is no eruv what’s my next option?

Online efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2018, 11:27:12 PM »
What should I do about kids for Shabbos? I would love to eat at the chabad but seeing as there is no eruv what’s my next option?
I used the chabads kitchen help to push out stroller.

Btw I don't recall Chabad serving a friday night meal & their meals aren't at the level of other Chabads I've been too. (They cater to a mostly Israeli crowd)

not a criticism c'v just go with realistic expectations

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2018, 02:56:20 AM »
When are you going? Yes, let’s make a Myrtle Beach DO
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2018, 07:43:36 PM »
Based on this:

I'd like to also stay at the dunes village given it's close to the beth el shul. The question is, does anyone know if the hechsher is reliable? If yes we'd love to partake in the lunch that they offer on Shabbos.

I asked the rav (https://www.bethelmyrtlebeach.com/contact-us) from there what the hasgacha is and he said "mehadrin"..

Anyone know where I can find out if this is a reliable hechsher?

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2019, 12:46:47 PM »
Edited the wiki.

This place is awesome! Highly recommended.

While @mmgfarb was battling half the Jewish community in America in FLL we were enjoying this nice and quiet waterfront community.

The only downsides to it (for us) are the lack of direct flights from JFK and the lack of food. We were originally booked on AA from LGA with a stop in CLT but as time went on we realized the hassle of lga with a stopover and figuring out what to pack and how given that we needed lots of items for Shabbos and the thought of all the checked bags we'd have to pay for made us decide to drive there instead. So thanks the priceline's cancellation policy we cancelled the tix and psyched ourselves up for the 10.5 hour drive.

Driving allowed us to take anything and everything we wanted and in this case we literally needed the kitchen sink since we'd have to make all the meals ourselves and we'd also not have to worry about renting a car and car seat etc..

So we packed up the car and off we went, we left about 8:30 pm and with one stop for gas we got there at 7:30 am. At about 1:15 am in the middle of nowhere traffic came to a complete standstill for 20 minutes so with that delay and the stop for gas we made the trip in 11 hours.

We stayed at the dunes village, (added it to the wiki) (shoutout to @Avs175  and @efflpetzel for their help) for their water parks which were great, the kids loved it. Got a spacious 2 bedroom for $129/night after all tax and fees because it's off season. The same room in the summer is well over $300.

The dunes is very old and very dated but we stayed for the waterparks since it's the only one that has it indoors. Almost every hotel in MYR has some sort of "water park" but they are all outside and in 50 degrees that's not really an option.

After being in the waterpark for the whole morning we set out to walmart to get all the items we needed that were not brought along and then off to the Food Lion (added to wiki) to see what kosher items they offered.

We also strolled down the boardwalk which was amazing, I've never been to a beach town "off season" (Miami is always busy it's just a matter of how busy) and it was so pleasant, peaceful and quiet. Yes, it wasn't hot or humid by far and you couldn't go swimming outside and certainly couldn't go into the ocean but it wasn't that cold either, during the day it was in the high 50's - 60 and only at night did it get cold enough to make you want to go inside.

Another thing we liked about the dunes was that the water park was only open to registered guests of the hotel unlike kalahari and camelback which allow day passes which make the place even more crowded and unbearable. I'd say there were less then 10 people at anytime including us in the water park which was exactly what we wanted and why we even schlepped out there to begin with.

There are lots of activities to do and they are all located within a few minutes of each other but lots of them are seasonal and were closed. But if we had more time we would've done the trampoline park (added to wiki) the ripley aquarium and the wax museum which were indoors and open.

For Shabbos we stayed at the Ocean 22 Hilton (added to wiki) because it was closer to chabad, the dunes is about a 45 min walk and the hilton is 20 min. The hilton is light years ahead of the dunes in terms of look and feel, it's newly built and it was nice to be back in a modern place. We booked a 1 bedroom because it's much, much more expensive it was $160/night but in the back of my mind I knew that it's off season so I figured at checkin I'd ask for a 2 bedroom and that's exactly what I did and sure enough she upgraded it on the spot :-)

Chabad was a mix of chabad and sefardi, I've never been to anything like it before and I was caught off guard. I went for shacharis on Thursday morning which was called for 8 at 7:55 when I showed up there was 1 guy there :-( and they finally got started about 8:20 and 9:15 they were just finishing laining :-( :-(. I had been there for an hour and fifteen minutes already and they still were not done. We were intending on going to chabad for lunch on Shabbos but after my experience on Thursday I realized that it would not work for us. I am not a yekki by blood but I am by personality and if time means nothing I can't stand it. So we ran to food lion and bought stuff for a chulent.

On Shabbos at chabad I met a guy (much older then me) from Brooklyn who said he's been coming here for random Shabbosim for years because he loves the peace and quiet it offers.

After Shabbos the kids went swimming in the indoor pool and again we were the only ones there, woo hoo! Sunday morning we headed back, stopped for krispy kreme and gas in VA and we got back Sunday night also took 11 hours. 

All in all a great time was had by all, I can't say I'd make the drive again anytime soon and I would first look for direct flights but for those who do have direct flights this is a great getaway.

PS. After telling over my chabad experience to some people they told me that chabad is notorious when it comes to time. I always thought it was chasidim who have no concept of time but I see now chabad also.

Offline Avs175

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2019, 01:30:55 PM »
I'm so happy to hear that u enjoyed Dunes village & Myrtle Beach. Sounds like u had a really nice time!

BTW: there are direct spirit flights from lga.

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2019, 01:33:22 PM »
I'm so happy to hear that u enjoyed Dunes village & Myrtle Beach. Sounds like u had a really nice time!

BTW: there are direct spirit flights from lga.

Thanks and I know about spirirt but we couldn't find any for cheap.

Online efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2019, 11:38:08 PM »
Thanks and I know about spirirt but we couldn't find any for cheap.
Spirit flies to ACY too. Wilmington NC isnt far & has multiple flights to the tri-state area

I did the same thing, drove overnight there & way back daytime driving. Way back was murder. I'd never do a daytime drive of this length with kids again

Offline Joel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2019, 08:46:16 AM »
Edited the wiki.

This place is awesome! Highly recommended.

While @mmgfarb was battling half the Jewish community in America in FLL we were enjoying this nice and quiet waterfront community.

The only downsides to it (for us) are the lack of direct flights from JFK and the lack of food. We were originally booked on AA from LGA with a stop in CLT but as time went on we realized the hassle of lga with a stopover and figuring out what to pack and how given that we needed lots of items for Shabbos and the thought of all the checked bags we'd have to pay for made us decide to drive there instead. So thanks the priceline's cancellation policy we cancelled the tix and psyched ourselves up for the 10.5 hour drive.

Driving allowed us to take anything and everything we wanted and in this case we literally needed the kitchen sink since we'd have to make all the meals ourselves and we'd also not have to worry about renting a car and car seat etc..

So we packed up the car and off we went, we left about 8:30 pm and with one stop for gas we got there at 7:30 am. At about 1:15 am in the middle of nowhere traffic came to a complete standstill for 20 minutes so with that delay and the stop for gas we made the trip in 11 hours.

We stayed at the dunes village, (added it to the wiki) (shoutout to @Avs175  and @efflpetzel for their help) for their water parks which were great, the kids loved it. Got a spacious 2 bedroom for $129/night after all tax and fees because it's off season. The same room in the summer is well over $300.

The dunes is very old and very dated but we stayed for the waterparks since it's the only one that has it indoors. Almost every hotel in MYR has some sort of "water park" but they are all outside and in 50 degrees that's not really an option.

After being in the waterpark for the whole morning we set out to walmart to get all the items we needed that were not brought along and then off to the Food Lion (added to wiki) to see what kosher items they offered.

We also strolled down the boardwalk which was amazing, I've never been to a beach town "off season" (Miami is always busy it's just a matter of how busy) and it was so pleasant, peaceful and quiet. Yes, it wasn't hot or humid by far and you couldn't go swimming outside and certainly couldn't go into the ocean but it wasn't that cold either, during the day it was in the high 50's - 60 and only at night did it get cold enough to make you want to go inside.

Another thing we liked about the dunes was that the water park was only open to registered guests of the hotel unlike kalahari and camelback which allow day passes which make the place even more crowded and unbearable. I'd say there were less then 10 people at anytime including us in the water park which was exactly what we wanted and why we even schlepped out there to begin with.

There are lots of activities to do and they are all located within a few minutes of each other but lots of them are seasonal and were closed. But if we had more time we would've done the trampoline park (added to wiki) the ripley aquarium and the wax museum which were indoors and open.

For Shabbos we stayed at the Ocean 22 Hilton (added to wiki) because it was closer to chabad, the dunes is about a 45 min walk and the hilton is 20 min. The hilton is light years ahead of the dunes in terms of look and feel, it's newly built and it was nice to be back in a modern place. We booked a 1 bedroom because it's much, much more expensive it was $160/night but in the back of my mind I knew that it's off season so I figured at checkin I'd ask for a 2 bedroom and that's exactly what I did and sure enough she upgraded it on the spot :-)

Chabad was a mix of chabad and sefardi, I've never been to anything like it before and I was caught off guard. I went for shacharis on Thursday morning which was called for 8 at 7:55 when I showed up there was 1 guy there :-( and they finally got started about 8:20 and 9:15 they were just finishing laining :-( :-(. I had been there for an hour and fifteen minutes already and they still were not done. We were intending on going to chabad for lunch on Shabbos but after my experience on Thursday I realized that it would not work for us. I am not a yekki by blood but I am by personality and if time means nothing I can't stand it. So we ran to food lion and bought stuff for a chulent.

On Shabbos at chabad I met a guy (much older then me) from Brooklyn who said he's been coming here for random Shabbosim for years because he loves the peace and quiet it offers.

After Shabbos the kids went swimming in the indoor pool and again we were the only ones there, woo hoo! Sunday morning we headed back, stopped for krispy kreme and gas in VA and we got back Sunday night also took 11 hours. 

All in all a great time was had by all, I can't say I'd make the drive again anytime soon and I would first look for direct flights but for those who do have direct flights this is a great getaway.

PS. After telling over my chabad experience to some people they told me that chabad is notorious when it comes to time. I always thought it was chasidim who have no concept of time but I see now chabad also.
Thank you for writing this up.
Glad you had a amazing trip!

Offline rufieg3

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2019, 08:41:16 PM »
Is there a solid minyan in myrtle beach during chol hamoed pesAch?

Offline rs242

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2019, 08:54:07 PM »
Is there a solid minyan in myrtle beach during chol hamoed pesAch?
I don’t know about chabad but the sphardi shul has 2 minyanim in the morning a 8 & 9

Offline rs242

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2019, 09:25:18 PM »
thx. What’s the address of that shul pls?
404 Calhoun