Author Topic: Carry on dimensions- what are the real limits?  (Read 10344 times)

Offline Daniel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Carry on dimensions- what are the real limits?
« on: August 08, 2012, 10:31:30 AM »
Official limits are usually:
22 inches tall, no wider than 14 inches, and no deeper than 9 inches.

Anyone know what the real limits are? I bought a 24 inch tall bag - should be good, right?

Offline ChasingTheDime

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Carry on dimensions- what are the real limits?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 10:38:25 AM »
probably.
most time i fly, they dont bother to check

also, many of the airlines are buying new plans, or refitting old planes with larger overhead bins, so thos dimensions may not matter much over the next few years

but as long as the bag is not obviously large, and is not bulging an extra 8 inches out the front, because you realized to forgot to packs all your socks in you suitcase, you should* be fine

*but nothing is certain in life

Offline Yossi.

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 12:30:12 PM »
probably.
most time i fly, they dont bother to check

also, many of the airlines are buying new plans, or refitting old planes with larger overhead bins, so thos dimensions may not matter much over the next few years

but as long as the bag is not obviously large, and is not bulging an extra 8 inches out the front, because you realized to forgot to packs all your socks in you suitcase, you should* be fine

*but nothing is certain in life

+1 but I have had multiple experiences in european airports where they actually make you insert the carry on in their fake frame and if it does not fit... then it s a no go... anyways if you dont extend the extra inches you should not have a problem...

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 01:01:09 PM »
I recently flew United with a backpack that was just about the max size, but the straps extended another 2-3 inches. They made me gate check it, had me fill out the tag, and told me to attach it to the bag on the gangway myself (there was a long line). That bag held $12k+ worth of camera gear - no way I was gonna let that out of my sight. I put the tag in my pocket and walked nonchalantly onto the plane - no one made a peep.

Point of the story is that if your bag isn't obviously huge, you might still be able to bring it on board even if they had you gate check it.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 02:06:59 PM »
I recently flew United with a backpack that was just about the max size, but the straps extended another 2-3 inches. They made me gate check it, had me fill out the tag, and told me to attach it to the bag on the gangway myself (there was a long line). That bag held $12k+ worth of camera gear - no way I was gonna let that out of my sight. I put the tag in my pocket and walked nonchalantly onto the plane - no one made a peep.

Point of the story is that if your bag isn't obviously huge, you might still be able to bring it on board even if they had you gate check it.

Right- not worry about gate check- worried about making me go and check it at the counter. I had this happen before.

Offline askmoses

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 05:05:06 PM »

I once had a departure from JFK on Delta (I think it's terminal 5) and I only wanted to fly with carry on (so it was pretty big and very heavy). They had someone standing there at delta before who told me no way can I bring it on and I have to go pay for it. He even followed me back and tried to make me pay right there.  I told him I'm not going to pay and he said "well your not going through". I exited the terminal and walked over to terminal 6 (which was mostly AA) and went through no problem there, and to my luck they had 2-3 gates that were for Delta Connection (small short hop flights there) and they have a shuttle service that drives on the tarmac and brings you to terminal 5 if you need to make a connection there. I came to those gates and there was one bored Delta rep sitting there and I told him that I need a shuttle... he was pretty surprised because no Delta Connection flights had landed for some time... he had to call me my own shuttle but it took me right up to my departing gate...

All this so I didn't have to check my bag...

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 05:08:53 PM »
I exited the terminal and walked over to terminal 6 (which was mostly AA) and went through no problem there, and to my luck they had 2-3 gates that were for Delta Connection (small short hop flights there) and they have a shuttle service that drives on the tarmac and brings you to terminal 5

Wow. Good thing you knew about the shuttle. I wonder if this can be used to use lounges in one terminal when flying out of another. Anything like this in LGA or EWR?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 09:39:06 PM »
I was flying with a friend on LOT. the way there no problems. The way back as my friend was boarding the plane they pulled him aside to check his carry on bag it was about 1x1 in. to large. They delayed the flight 30 min. because he didn't have the money to pay for it. I had to leave the plane to pay for his bag and then they let us on, and made hi  check his bag under. Such a ridiculous story I get annoyed just thinking about it. Such Polack's it is unbelievable! He's been flying with that same carry on for years....
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline kalzone

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 01:22:31 AM »
My experience has always been to sneak my bag past security, and then when I get to the gate and they tell me it is too large, they check it for free ;)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 01:24:48 AM »
My experience has always been to sneak my bag past security, and then when I get to the gate and they tell me it is too large, they check it for free ;)
domestic I assume? In JFK I've had one tsa agent tell me my bag is to large. So I simply went to the next security entrance point and got through with no problems :) works with too many bags also...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Yeki89

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 07:04:18 AM »
You ask one of my best tricks, I'll spill the beans. Leave ur carry on in your car! Check in, go back to your car and take your  oversized over wieght carry ons ahhhh!

#laughingatagentseverytimefly

Offline L'Chaim

• View Profile
Re: Re: Carry on dimensions- what are the real limits?
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 08:03:17 AM »
You ask one of my best tricks, I'll spill the beans. Leave ur carry on in your car! Check in, go back to your car and take your  oversized over wieght carry ons ahhhh!

#laughingatagentseverytimefly
Oldest trick in the book.  Been doing that almost every time, especially on cheap airlines when they're extra makpid.

Offline WhyAich

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Carry on dimensions- what are the real limits?
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 08:48:52 AM »
And if you are in a taxi? :(
For great Airfare deals - PLEASE contact me via PM or email: whyaich@gmail.com

Offline L'Chaim

• View Profile
Re: Re: Carry on dimensions- what are the real limits?
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 04:30:17 PM »
And if you are in a taxi? :(
What I usually do is have someone on the side watch the bag till after I checked-in.

Offline MoYS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 08:46:45 PM »
My prob is that my bag just a tiny bit too wide to fit on the x-ray belt for carry ons :( any way to get aroung this???

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 09:04:13 PM »
My prob is that my bag just a tiny bit too wide to fit on the x-ray belt for carry ons :( any way to get aroung this???
Manual check? G'luck getting them to let you through though. If you're in the South Id give you a decent chance
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 09:05:10 PM »
And if you're flying spirit get ready to pay $100 at the gate..

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 10:57:11 AM »
Thought there was a more current carryon thread, but couldn't find it...

I see that it's YMMV with getting a carryon onto the plane that's an inch too big this way, but 4 inches small enough that way etc., but does flying in J get you better carryon privileges?

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 02:17:24 PM »

I see that it's YMMV with getting a carryon onto the plane that's an inch too big this way, but 4 inches small enough that way etc., but does flying in J get you better carryon privileges?
Bump as I see ilherman's around now, and he always seems to know these kind of things.

Offline SOS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis First, Hertz Five Star, National Executive
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 02:36:19 PM »

I don't remember if you are going with easy jet or not, but from what I remember/think the small spirit type of airlines (easy jet, Ryanair) will make you crazy with your dimensions and the big time airlines will be more ymmv (I only flew easy jet so the rest is my opinion)