Topic Wiki

All you need to know:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/38212

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/types.aspx
Click on "United air travel award rules:"
"You may redeem miles for travel in United Global FirstSM, United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst® , even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. For example, a Saver United First award must be confirmed in Saver United Economy to be eligible for waitlisting. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Reservations office"

« Last edited by HolyNyc on February 02, 2015, 08:51:46 AM »

Author Topic: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability  (Read 512397 times)

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability
« Reply #1300 on: April 21, 2015, 01:54:16 PM »
The screenshot doesn't have anything specific in it, like my name, and doesn't even have the dates of travel. Technically, I could have pulled that out of anywhere.
Does it have the url visible on top? Maybe they could tell from there where it came from.

Offline jaywhy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: April 21, 2015, 01:57:10 PM »
Boy, nothing goes simply in this game, does it?

Reps are claiming there was no Saver space available yesterday when I booked, that's why I was put in HN. Can you even DO Plan B if there's only standard space available?

Getting transferred around to try and show someone my screenshot that shows XN space. I hope that blocking out my dates doesn't come back to haunt me.
Book for a different date with saver space in I, and then call to waitlist I for your dates.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: April 21, 2015, 02:23:06 PM »
Does it have the url visible on top? Maybe they could tell from there where it came from.
The screenshot is the one I posted here, so no - there's no URL.

Book for a different date with saver space in I, and then call to waitlist I for your dates.
Ah, the other kind of Plan B. Thanks, but for this ticket...

Somehow I got transferred around United and ended up at the desk of a supervisor in the "dot come" department. She was surprised to hear my voice and said she's not customer-facing today (serving as an internal supervisor for the day) so has no idea how I got through to her. But she was really nice and agreed to look at my issue. She was able to see the notes on my account and that I had originally reserved XN space. After a little while on hold, she was able to put me back in XN class b"h! (However, she would not waitlist me to IN class, I tried...)

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: April 22, 2015, 04:51:19 PM »
Playing around with another booking. Does this look like it would work? Picked a different date than I want that had I class and booked it with a waitlist for the day I do want (that doesn't have I or X space). I understand that if it doesn't clear, I would be stuck with a flight on the wrong date. Just curious if this looks equivalent to a normal Plan B.

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: April 22, 2015, 08:27:31 PM »
Playing around with another booking. Does this look like it would work? Picked a different date than I want that had I class and booked it with a waitlist for the day I do want (that doesn't have I or X space). I understand that if it doesn't clear, I would be stuck with a flight on the wrong date. Just curious if this looks equivalent to a normal Plan B.

It does not look the same. But technically its the same thing. BTW I don't think the 753 offers the flat bed seating.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline elya

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: April 22, 2015, 09:36:22 PM »
It does not look the same. But technically its the same thing. BTW I don't think the 753 offers the flat bed seating.
I dont think thats pr-1 status. its just a benefit they offer elite members to waitlist, but unless I actually becomes available you wont get it.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: April 22, 2015, 10:03:38 PM »
It's not lie flat. But that's not the flight I actually want. I'll have to cancel this tomorrow. Only tried it because someone told me they did one like this and in the process the agent ticketed him on the day he wanted instead of waitlisting. Figured I might as well try :-)

Offline elya

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: April 22, 2015, 10:42:18 PM »
It's not lie flat. But that's not the flight I actually want. I'll have to cancel this tomorrow. Only tried it because someone told me they did one like this and in the process the agent ticketed him on the day he wanted instead of waitlisting. Figured I might as well try :-)
It will only work if I class opens...

Offline D93

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: April 26, 2015, 08:39:03 AM »
Is it possible to set up a plan b to waitlist for J and F on the same reservation?

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: April 26, 2015, 04:26:49 PM »
My Plan B flight had a 1 hour schedule change made to it, and I thought I would be able to convince them to clear me into J because of it, but they're not budging. :-(

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1310 on: April 26, 2015, 04:33:46 PM »
My Plan B flight had a 1 hour schedule change made to it, and I thought I would be able to convince them to clear me into J because of it, but they're not budging. :-(

What does a schedule change have to do with clearing into J?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: April 26, 2015, 04:36:31 PM »
What does a schedule change have to do with clearing into J?
I thought the consumer had this magical power once there is a schedule change. I guess I was wrong.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1312 on: April 26, 2015, 05:03:10 PM »
I thought the consumer had this magical power once there is a schedule change. I guess I was wrong.

To redeposit/cancel without penalty.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: April 26, 2015, 07:29:45 PM »
To redeposit/cancel without penalty.
+100. Not even worth HUCAing.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline keravelt

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: April 28, 2015, 01:53:34 PM »
I apologize if this has been addressed before on this thread, but the thread is long and dont have right key words to search...
I booked a Plan B award to Australia 2 months ago. Reservations says I Class Requested (As it should have). The extra miles were never debited. What do I do? Will it still work? Can I ask for PR-1 status, even though I never technically "paid" for BC seat?
If that doesn't work, will I be on standby list, or will agents say, no I seat ever opened so tough luck...
Plane takes off on Sunday...

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: April 28, 2015, 06:12:50 PM »
Miles need to be debited or your stuck.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: April 28, 2015, 06:17:25 PM »

(There he is!)
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline keravelt

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: April 28, 2015, 07:31:55 PM »

But how do I address the phone agent to debit the miles?
Everything is ticketed.
Am I supposed to cancel? Ill get hit on the cancellation and again on the close-in. Never mind, that on segment, there is seat availability for United Saver...

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: April 28, 2015, 09:42:20 PM »
Well,  you may be stuck now. Should have addressed this at time of original booking.

Offline keravelt

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: April 29, 2015, 12:07:55 AM »
Well,  you may be stuck now. Should have addressed this at time of original booking.
ok. But I should still be placed on the upgrade list, based on the award rules pasted below. So whats the practical difference? Can I still claim PR-1 status?

You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
From http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/types.aspx