Topic Wiki

All you need to know:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/38212

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/types.aspx
Click on "United air travel award rules:"
"You may redeem miles for travel in United Global FirstSM, United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst® , even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. For example, a Saver United First award must be confirmed in Saver United Economy to be eligible for waitlisting. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Reservations office"

« Last edited by HolyNyc on February 02, 2015, 08:51:46 AM »

Author Topic: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability  (Read 512072 times)

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Re: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability
« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2013, 12:44:36 AM »
They're far more sophisticated then that. Don't come crying when you're blacklisted.
agree. i never did such a thing, but someone, i think in the United award thread was asking this ? about 5 times, and no one know what to answer him so here is his answer.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 24, 2013, 12:52:08 AM »
Example on the 10:45 pm flight tomorrow night was the seat map showing today avail. 4 seats in J, but was NOT Avail. for revenue, i figured out the last few weeks when they usually open up, and when it came the time, it got avail. for saver award, i got one for my brother, someone else was also lucky.... and now the seat map show's 2 in J. what do you say to this story? even i cant figure out their system, its very complicated....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #162 on: July 24, 2013, 12:54:03 AM »
If you can't understand exactly what is happening after my explanation I can't help you.
It's exactly that simple.  They're not blocking J inventory for giggles.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 24, 2013, 12:56:53 AM »
If you can't understand exactly what is happening after my explanation I can't help you.
It's exactly that simple.  They're not blocking J inventory for giggles.
did you see my example?

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 24, 2013, 12:58:53 AM »
by now i even have the timings when they open up all the saver awards, would i be able to talk to you i would tell it to you... but dont wonna let out my secrets here in public...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #165 on: July 24, 2013, 01:05:56 AM »
did you see my example?
I just proved to you that the current release of the 2 saver awards for the flight today had nothing to do with the 3 empty seats you saw and everything to do with there now being 5 empty seats, meaning that 2 people cancelled. Simple as that, don't try to complicate it.

Seat maps do not indicate anything besides people who have booked tickets and not assigned seats.  Everything you need to know can be found on UA.com>Expert Mode>Fare Class buckets.

It's no secret that UA opens saver seats within 24 hours of flights as long as there is inventory there.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 24, 2013, 01:14:49 AM »
FTR, there are a myriad of reasons why seats would be empty when they are sold.

They can be bought by people who want to sit together and therefore didn't select seats, they can be part of a travel agent or group booking where they're not assigned.
People can also skip the seat selection when booking their own tickets and won't be assigned until they checkin.

I was on a flight recently where the seat map was wide open an hour out and the flight ended up nearly full.
Seat maps can also show full when there are lots of seats blocked for bulkhead, pilots, or just weight and balance issues.

The bottom line is seat maps are cute but they prove zilch.

There's no connection between a seat map and predicting X, XN, I, IN, or R availability when J or Y is sold out.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 24, 2013, 01:19:49 AM »
I just proved to you that the current release of the 2 saver awards for the flight today had nothing to do with the 3 empty seats you saw and everything to do with there now being 5 empty seats, meaning that 2 people cancelled. Simple as that, don't try to complicate it.

Seat maps do not indicate anything besides people who have booked tickets and not assigned seats.  Everything you need to know can be found on UA.com>Expert Mode>Fare Class buckets.

It's no secret that UA opens saver seats within 24 hours of flights as long as there is inventory there.
yeh... but the secret is when they open up just 2 awards u wonna be the first to know that... so by knowing exactly when they open up u can grab them, neither of the openings today lasted more then a few min EF didnt even have a chanse to notify for it. (btw as i see EF runs about 20 min. late from when United actual opens up saver award) to the end please dont argue again..... im sitting hours and hours to figure out United, im not that silly... they are not so simple, look over my example with the 10:45 pm flight tomorrow night... HYATT does not give free internet... its very hard to type on my phone .... any wife is already asking if im on vacation with dan or with her....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 24, 2013, 01:23:14 AM »
Wow, you're sitting hours and hours to figure out United?
I've been doing this for 10 years, every day.

They don't magically open up 2 saver seats.  If there are revenue seats within 24 hours they will become saver awards.  This isn't a game United plays to deprive themselves of revenue by zeroing out inventory and then magically adding it.  If someone cancels their seat then it goes right back into the revenue fare bucket and if it's within 24 hours of the flight it probably goes into X/I saver award inventory.  As I said this happens a lot in business because seats are refundable.

Nothing will alert you to when someone is going to cancel and someone else will book it up. EF isn't a live feed. And for the last time this has nothing to do with the silly seat map.

I'm done here.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 24, 2013, 01:26:37 AM »
once again, it was showing 4 empty seats for a nice cuple of hours today, that was not avail for $ and all of the sudden it got avail. 2 J saver awards with out showing more seats, just the same 4 seats that was showing all day on the seat map.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 24, 2013, 01:29:18 AM »
by the next seminar ill have to discuss this with you FTF

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 24, 2013, 01:32:48 AM »
once again, it was showing 4 empty seats for a nice cuple of hours today, that was not avail for $ and all of the sudden it got avail. 2 J saver awards with out showing more seats, just the same 4 seats that was showing all day on the seat map.
That proves nothing. Those pax could have checked in then to get their seats and 2 other pax could have cancelled.

My earlier example of the 3 seats/5 seats on the other hand for the 410 flight demonstrates exactly what I'm trying to explain to you but you're not willing to listen.

There is a reason there are a quarter million results on FT that "seat maps are not an indicator of flight load."

by the next seminar ill have to discuss this with you FTF
I'll pass, but thanks.
Go back to your vacation and stop trying to prove what you'll never possibly prove.

Offline MEIR613

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 24, 2013, 01:33:31 AM »
What don't you get. The 4 seats had nothing to do with it. They are empty because some pax didn't choose their seats. The 2 saver seats became available because they are better off putting them in award seats and someone taking them, then putting them out for money and going empty.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #173 on: July 24, 2013, 01:35:14 AM »
Have you been reading ANYTHING that Dan's been writing about the absolute irrelevance of seat maps, or do you just like to listen to yourself talk? They mean nothing. Period.

ETA: oops, seems like I got beat to the punch.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 24, 2013, 01:55:01 AM »
What don't you get. The 4 seats had nothing to do with it. They are empty because some pax didn't choose their seats. The 2 saver seats became available because they are better off putting them in award seats and someone taking them, then putting them out for money and going empty.
ive got the seat that was showing avail. Hours before on the seat map, and were not avail. for $, are you saying that pinkt the guys who haven't chose their seat they canceled out....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 24, 2013, 01:59:25 AM »
ive got the seat that was showing avail. Hours before on the seat map, and were not avail. for $, are you saying that pinkt the guys who haven't chose their seat they canceled out....
That's the worst logic I've ever heard. Seriously.
Can someone else please take over for me here.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 24, 2013, 02:09:28 AM »
would u be right, it would show up 6 seats when it opened up the 10:45 pm flight, 4 that were for the unassigned seats, and another 2 what ur saying that just got available because 2 ppl canceled. However I've bin booking several biz. Class for ppl EWR-TLV based on my opinions how United is opening up and made nice $, so I wouldn't change my mind I'm making $ and you guys think whatever you think is right and שלום על ישראל.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #177 on: July 24, 2013, 08:58:56 AM »

Frankly, I think you deserve kudos just for understanding what he's writing. I still can't make it out.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline A3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 24, 2013, 11:26:50 AM »

That proves nothing. Those pax could have checked in then to get their seats and 2 other pax could have cancelled.

My earlier example of the 3 seats/5 seats on the other hand for the 410 flight demonstrates exactly what I'm trying to explain to you but you're not willing to listen.

There is a reason there are a quarter million results on FT that "seat maps are not an indicator of flight load."
I'll pass, but thanks.
Go back to your vacation and stop trying to prove what you'll never possibly prove.

Another example: a couple months ago my wife was flying UA FLL-EWR  with a one year old and two year old. So had to buy two seats. The seat for the two year old about 15 rows behind her. Ok this easily could have been settled in the airport, but she wanted it settled before. Online it was showing no other seats available, on the phone they couldn't help me out either. I sent a short tweet to AU about the situation. 10 minutes later they had seats next to each other.
Any other way to explain this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 24, 2013, 11:30:03 AM »
Showing no seats available on the seat map?