Topic Wiki

All you need to know:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/38212

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/types.aspx
Click on "United air travel award rules:"
"You may redeem miles for travel in United Global FirstSM, United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst® , even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. For example, a Saver United First award must be confirmed in Saver United Economy to be eligible for waitlisting. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Reservations office"

« Last edited by HolyNyc on February 02, 2015, 08:51:46 AM »

Author Topic: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability  (Read 515753 times)

Offline ruru1000

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability
« Reply #2140 on: November 01, 2016, 03:13:21 PM »
anything similar to this on delta?

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #2141 on: November 01, 2016, 03:19:20 PM »
anything similar to this on delta?
nope

Offline witcherwill

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: November 01, 2016, 06:15:54 PM »
Longer post, I'm curious where I went wrong! I tried this for the first time on my red eye on SFO to EWR (family weddings, they never end). I definitely set up everything correctly on the front end--correct number of miles debited, class XN confirmed and class IN requested, etc.

Day of there were 15 seats booked and one seat available. Couldn't get to the airport too early so I tried calling the web call back number, but they informed me the last seat was a revenue seat and that I'd have better luck going to the airport.

Got to the airport about 1.5 hours before my flight. The premier access agent told to try at the gate. (I'd read that the lounge agent might have better luck, but the UA lounge is terminal A and maybe under construction(?) and I was out of Terminal C etc etc) I went to my gate and asked. At this point, all 16 seats were booked but one person hadn't checked in.

The first person I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about, told me I was 6th on the upgrade list. I reiterated that I wasn't an upgrade passenger but had paid for the business class seat with miles and should be waitlisted as PR-1. He called up an agent, talked and typed around for a while, then hung up and said that it was taken care of.

Here is my mistake--tired and hungover as I was, I didn't check that I'd moved to the top of the upgrade list, because I assumed that he'd taken care of it!

When I glanced up with ~15 minutes to go before boarding started, I realized I was still listed at 6/6 on the upgrade list. I went back, and this time both the original gentleman and another lady were there. They were adamant, through and through, that there was no way I could be on the PR-1 list because I had only paid $5 for my ticket. No phrasing I could come up with seemed to shake them of this point--"the other passengers would have paid more in actual money for their ticket and then used an upgrade; because you didn't pay for your ticket you cannot be above them, it's all about the money, the system takes the inputs and generates the list" etc etc

It was really time to board by this point--it was a completely full flight--so I took their names (Yvonne and Cliff, if anyone is interested) and morosely sat in my seat while glaring at the blue check mark next to the person who did get the seat which I thought would be mine. 

SO -- in summary -- has anyone else encountered this? Is this new? Should I have said something else? (the worst) were they right?

Offline Rindsy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: November 01, 2016, 06:34:10 PM »
Longer post, I'm curious where I went wrong! I tried this for the first time on my red eye on SFO to EWR (family weddings, they never end). I definitely set up everything correctly on the front end--correct number of miles debited, class XN confirmed and class IN requested, etc.

Day of there were 15 seats booked and one seat available. Couldn't get to the airport too early so I tried calling the web call back number, but they informed me the last seat was a revenue seat and that I'd have better luck going to the airport.

Got to the airport about 1.5 hours before my flight. The premier access agent told to try at the gate. (I'd read that the lounge agent might have better luck, but the UA lounge is terminal A and maybe under construction(?) and I was out of Terminal C etc etc) I went to my gate and asked. At this point, all 16 seats were booked but one person hadn't checked in.

The first person I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about, told me I was 6th on the upgrade list. I reiterated that I wasn't an upgrade passenger but had paid for the business class seat with miles and should be waitlisted as PR-1. He called up an agent, talked and typed around for a while, then hung up and said that it was taken care of.

Here is my mistake--tired and hungover as I was, I didn't check that I'd moved to the top of the upgrade list, because I assumed that he'd taken care of it!

When I glanced up with ~15 minutes to go before boarding started, I realized I was still listed at 6/6 on the upgrade list. I went back, and this time both the original gentleman and another lady were there. They were adamant, through and through, that there was no way I could be on the PR-1 list because I had only paid $5 for my ticket. No phrasing I could come up with seemed to shake them of this point--"the other passengers would have paid more in actual money for their ticket and then used an upgrade; because you didn't pay for your ticket you cannot be above them, it's all about the money, the system takes the inputs and generates the list" etc etc

It was really time to board by this point--it was a completely full flight--so I took their names (Yvonne and Cliff, if anyone is interested) and morosely sat in my seat while glaring at the blue check mark next to the person who did get the seat which I thought would be mine. 

SO -- in summary -- has anyone else encountered this? Is this new? Should I have said something else? (the worst) were they right?

Happened to me too.  On a flight from EWR to LAX last year.  Sometimes, unfortunately, the gate/lounge agents just don't know the real policies.
If you're in the financing or e-commerce business, and need capital to grow, we should talk...

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: November 02, 2016, 12:32:17 AM »
These days even when they follow regular procedure/commands to give PR1 the system does not accept it.

I guess in your case she called the help desk and the help desk said they did it but when they saw that it did not actually go through they just made up something to explain why it didn't accept you.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline rileywiles23

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: November 04, 2016, 10:29:22 AM »
Is it even worth the aggravation to do a plan b from tlv, for someone who doesn't really know what to do, and I'd have to speak to the agents to get them do it right ?
Any recent experiences for TLV-EWR plan B ?
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline rileywiles23

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: November 04, 2016, 01:18:52 PM »
Is it even worth the aggravation to do a plan b from tlv, for someone who doesn't really know what to do, and I'd have to speak to the agents to get them do it right ?
Any recent experiences for TLV-EWR plan B ?
Whatever it is, I just did it. Attached is the screenshot. IINM it's all good to go.
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline israbear89

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: December 14, 2016, 03:02:10 PM »
What would be the 1st step of Plan B if there's mixed cabin business saver award availability? Book Economy saver or mixed business saver?

Offline israbear89

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: December 14, 2016, 04:13:49 PM »
Also what you would be the best way to book a Plan B if the flight is less than a month out (so as not to pay close in fees.) Book X/XN through the seminar trick and then ask to pay with points to be waitlisted to I/IN?

Offline dukerau

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: January 05, 2017, 10:05:44 PM »
I set up a Plan B award a while ago for CLT-IAH-HNL.  However, unlike the guide here, they didn't deduct the business class rate (40k), just the economy price (22.5k).  Yet, I've seen "I class requested" ever since.  The agent told me that if I class opened up, I'd get notified to call in and have the additional miles deducted.  The flight is next weekend, and there are no business class seats unsold on IAH-HNL, so odds look slim.  However, a few months ago the CLT-IAH leg got upgraded to domestic F.  I wasn't asked to pay anything extra.  Assuming everything stays as is, will I be in CLT-IAH domestic F without paying any extra?  Also, the booking is showing no charge for 1st or 2nd checked bag, I assume because we're in domestic F for the first leg.  Will that be the case?  If so, I'm quite a fan of Plan B even when it doesn't come through.

On a separate note, I probably won't put forth the effort for PR-1 status since we depart at ~6am, but would I even be able to get it applied since we didn't pay the full 40k business class price?

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: January 05, 2017, 10:23:21 PM »
I have EWR-HNL booked on plan B for Jan 19.
If I don't get upgraded, I probably won't go.
How close to the flight is it realistic to get the upgrade?
How close to the flight should I wait / when should I cancel the ticket?
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline high end hobo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: January 08, 2017, 01:19:40 PM »
I set up a Plan B award a while ago for CLT-IAH-HNL.  However, unlike the guide here, they didn't deduct the business class rate (40k), just the economy price (22.5k).  Yet, I've seen "I class requested" ever since.  The agent told me that if I class opened up, I'd get notified to call in and have the additional miles deducted.  The flight is next weekend, and there are no business class seats unsold on IAH-HNL, so odds look slim.  However, a few months ago the CLT-IAH leg got upgraded to domestic F.  I wasn't asked to pay anything extra.  Assuming everything stays as is, will I be in CLT-IAH domestic F without paying any extra?  Also, the booking is showing no charge for 1st or 2nd checked bag, I assume because we're in domestic F for the first leg.  Will that be the case?  If so, I'm quite a fan of Plan B even when it doesn't come through.

On a separate note, I probably won't put forth the effort for PR-1 status since we depart at ~6am, but would I even be able to get it applied since we didn't pay the full 40k business class price?
Interesting, while I dont have the knowledge to answer your questions propertly, please post an update here after the flight to let us know how it goes

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2152 on: January 08, 2017, 01:27:47 PM »

That's not plan b, that's a regular waitlist. No PR-1 status.

I have EWR-HNL booked on plan B for Jan 19.
If I don't get upgraded, I probably won't go.
How close to the flight is it realistic to get the upgrade?
How close to the flight should I wait / when should I cancel the ticket?
There's only 1 seat still for sale.
Fuggetaboutit.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: January 08, 2017, 01:29:09 PM »

There's only 1 seat still for sale.
Fuggetaboutit.
bad news!  But thanks.

Offline dukerau

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: January 09, 2017, 12:09:25 AM »
That's not plan b, that's a regular waitlist. No PR-1 status.

Ah, well I know for next time.  In hindsight this is preferable.  With 0 seats left for sale, there's practically 0 chance of upgrade anyway, so now I don't have to hound UA to get the partial miles refund.

Do you know if my current situation will allow us to fly the domestic F leg and have the free checked bags that come with domestic F without paying additional mileage?

Offline moe8555

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #2155 on: January 09, 2017, 06:26:38 AM »
Ah, well I know for next time.  In hindsight this is preferable.  With 0 seats left for sale, there's practically 0 chance of upgrade anyway, so now I don't have to hound UA to get the partial miles refund.

Do you know if my current situation will allow us to fly the domestic F leg and have the free checked bags that come with domestic F without paying additional mileage?

Don't know about United, but when I flew US (before it became AA), I had an economy flight to TLV with an initial domestic connection that was in domestic F.  I checked 2 bags and both checked through to Israel without having to pay anything more.  Probably more of a loophole than anything...

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: January 10, 2017, 05:07:33 PM »
bad news!  But thanks.
What's the best way to cancel these tickets?
cancel and redeposit for $125 OR cancel and save the charge for 1 year   ?

Offline oreo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Silver, Hilton Silver. Formerly United 1K, Delta Platinum,. Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
« Reply #2157 on: January 11, 2017, 02:23:41 PM »
Tried to book a Plan B award today. Got an agent who tried to do this but said that they're using a new beta software, they can't access the old software anymore, and so it's no longer possible. Started referencing the documentation based on the recommendations here
http://milecards.com/9436/the-trick-to-always-get-united-first-business-awards-at-low-saver-mile-prices/
But that seemed to just make the agent more hostile, she stopped me before I got to the line number and said that she knows everything in there because she's been there for 17 years and refused to actually look anything up.

Will HUCA...

Offline oreo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Silver, Hilton Silver. Formerly United 1K, Delta Platinum,. Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
« Reply #2158 on: January 11, 2017, 04:46:53 PM »
New agent is able to do it, but says that it can't be done with a partner flight on the same itinerary (trying to book LIH-HNL-EWR, Hawaiian airlines on the first part and Plan B on the second part). This is contrary to what's been said in the past, does anyone have a recent experience (during 2017) to the same effect?

Tried to book a Plan B award today. Got an agent who tried to do this but said that they're using a new beta software, they can't access the old software anymore, and so it's no longer possible. Started referencing the documentation based on the recommendations here
http://milecards.com/9436/the-trick-to-always-get-united-first-business-awards-at-low-saver-mile-prices/
But that seemed to just make the agent more hostile, she stopped me before I got to the line number and said that she knows everything in there because she's been there for 17 years and refused to actually look anything up.

Will HUCA...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2159 on: January 11, 2017, 04:51:18 PM »
HUCA
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.