Topic Wiki

All you need to know:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/38212

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/types.aspx
Click on "United air travel award rules:"
"You may redeem miles for travel in United Global FirstSM, United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst® , even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. For example, a Saver United First award must be confirmed in Saver United Economy to be eligible for waitlisting. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Reservations office"

« Last edited by HolyNyc on February 02, 2015, 08:51:46 AM »

Author Topic: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability  (Read 517239 times)

Offline Davidthebest

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2110
    • View Profile
Re: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability
« Reply #2540 on: June 17, 2022, 02:38:59 AM »
A: United.com
B: Waitlist while paying business saver rate
C: Booked on other airlines and fails to ticket
D: Schedule change planning
E: Weather waiver planning
F: Expanded Plat/1K IN space
G: Expanded GS PZ space or GS exception space
Cash: Hopefully with Chase or AMEX Hybrid points.
Anything else? :)
How is is possible to predict scheduling or weather changes besides being a נביא ?

And if a weather/schedule change happens, why would united book you on there own metal for the saver amount when it was never available to begin with instead of just offering to book you on different partners or refunding the miles. Is it just a  Courtesy that they rebook you on there own of something goes wrong ?

Offline Davidthebest

• View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: June 17, 2022, 02:41:26 AM »
Not directly related to United but would Plan D work using AA miles to book Qsuites to Maldives? Dates I want are not available but was thinking of booking a far out date and hoping for a schedule change.
How could it possibly work when aa doesn't own Qatar suits availability?

Offline mimb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, United, Delta, AMEX, CHASE UR, SPG
« Reply #2542 on: June 17, 2022, 08:57:23 AM »
How could it possibly work when aa doesn't own Qatar suits availability?

I'm assuming the same way any partners can rebook you if there is a flight change or cancellation? But I guess you are saying there would still need to be Qsuites available and that AA couldn't just create it

Offline Davidthebest

• View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: June 17, 2022, 10:39:24 AM »
I'm assuming the same way any partners can rebook you if there is a flight change or cancellation? But I guess you are saying there would still need to be Qsuites available and that AA couldn't just create it

Exactly.

Offline mikel1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: July 20, 2022, 04:29:10 PM »
does the plan B still seem to be working? I found a saver award at 42.5K going from IAD to TLV, and wanted to see if I can do this.. any ideas if this will work and the best number to call? also any reports of gate agents still knowing how to do this?

thanks!

Offline mikel1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: July 21, 2022, 06:13:03 PM »
I called the premier desk and web support (all US based with multiple years of experience), and with several HUCA all got the same answer, that since the new awards and dynamic, there is no way to price the saver business as technically there can be multiple values associated with saver business due to the new dynamic pricing.. I showed them how on their website it still says that this can be done. I direct them to the website, and they all said, that they used to do this, and are familiar with this, but can't be done with the new dynamic system, and said I should reach out to customer care about the discrepancy on the website, but they will not be able to book this for me.. any ideas? other options is booking a flight with TAP (anyone have experience with their business class and stopping in Portugal?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2546 on: July 21, 2022, 06:15:18 PM »
I called the premier desk and web support (all US based with multiple years of experience), and with several HUCA all got the same answer, that since the new awards and dynamic, there is no way to price the saver business as technically there can be multiple values associated with saver business due to the new dynamic pricing.. I showed them how on their website it still says that this can be done. I direct them to the website, and they all said, that they used to do this, and are familiar with this, but can't be done with the new dynamic system, and said I should reach out to customer care about the discrepancy on the website, but they will not be able to book this for me.. any ideas? other options is booking a flight with TAP (anyone have experience with their business class and stopping in Portugal?
It's still possible, but takes a lot of HUCA.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mikel1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: July 21, 2022, 06:20:44 PM »
is it still being priced at 75K for the savor business? Also what are the odds that things would clear for a flight from IAD to TLV in early December (before peak travel)? anyone had any experience with TAP, might just settle with the flight with a stop for 93K as tried many HUCA, and the road block I keep hitting is that they don't know what to price it as... they are familiar with the program, but can't identify what to price the savor as... would I risk killing this if I email customer care as I was directed? 

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2548 on: July 21, 2022, 06:46:59 PM »
It's still 75K. Fewer and fewer reps know how to use SHARES to sell it.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mikel1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: July 21, 2022, 09:33:41 PM »
Any way to "help" them with the booking? the part they seem to be stuck on is how to price saver awards as it is a new dynamic chart? Would emailing customer care, kill this program? Should i be mentioning any key words?

Offline Buruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2550 on: July 24, 2022, 05:02:09 PM »
is it still being priced at 75K for the savor business? Also what are the odds that things would clear for a flight from IAD to TLV in early December (before peak travel)? anyone had any experience with TAP, might just settle with the flight with a stop for 93K as tried many HUCA, and the road block I keep hitting is that they don't know what to price it as... they are familiar with the program, but can't identify what to price the savor as... would I risk killing this if I email customer care as I was directed?

TAP is fine. Not as good as Polaris, but not bad.
Especially if you get the real business LIS-TLV.

Offline shmooz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: July 24, 2022, 05:09:24 PM »
Any way to "help" them with the booking? the part they seem to be stuck on is how to price saver awards as it is a new dynamic chart? Would emailing customer care, kill this program? Should i be mentioning any key words?

Emailing customer care probably won't help you. The plan B was difficult for me at least always, but now it just might be too much aggravation

Offline STL EQUITIES

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: July 24, 2022, 08:59:27 PM »
@Dan: at this point do you still consider Plan B to be relevant?

Offline mikel1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: July 25, 2022, 05:12:32 PM »
TAP is fine. Not as good as Polaris, but not bad.
Especially if you get the real business LIS-TLV.

thanks! united is charging 93.5K for the TAP business (it shows that they should be lie flat, but that can change) what star alliance partner would you use to book TAP, (2 adults one lap infant), I have UR and Amex points.. polaris would have been nice, but it seems like plan b is getting no were..

Offline Buruch

• View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: July 25, 2022, 07:18:19 PM »
ANA is probably the cheapest with your points, 104k roundtrip with free stop, but I'll let the experts chime in here.

Offline mikel1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: July 25, 2022, 11:17:09 PM »
I thought that ANA only allows RT awards, not one way.. unless I am mistaken..

Offline Buruch

• View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: July 26, 2022, 03:20:51 AM »
I thought that ANA only allows RT awards, not one way.. unless I am mistaken..

That's correct. I didn't realize you only wanted OW. If you can get your hands on turkish miles, that's probably best.

Offline mikel1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: August 28, 2022, 06:21:40 PM »
Was finally successful in having an agent set up the waitlist in IN business at the 75K rate. The rep that helped me out was there since continental time and has been working for 40+ years, really knew her stuff...

I asked her where I am on waitlist and she said I am the only one on the waitlist.. :)

How early does the plan B clear? and if it doesn't till 24 hours in advance, any luck of doing it at the airport?

Also I had an infant lap child on the reservation, the agent had to detach the child, make a separate confirmation number and said if it clears, I would have to call and have them upgrade the lap child to a business lap child (right now it is as a coach lap) and pay the extra fee (275 business vs 70 coach)? Anyone has experience with this?

THANKS!!!

Offline STL EQUITIES

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: August 28, 2022, 07:18:03 PM »
I'm looking at attempting a plan B EWR-LHR. Im considering going for the 7 pm flight, and if at airport i still haven't cleared, asking about the 9,10, or 11pm flight. In that scenario would they be able to move me?

Or should I just book the flight that historically has the most cleared passengers? (still checking every day to see which time has the most upgrades)

Offline STL EQUITIES

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: August 29, 2022, 12:20:30 AM »
anyone know if this is Plan B "booked correctly"

correct number was debited. receipt shows the saver amount as the price and "XN"

united.com shows xn and waitlisted to I