Topic Wiki

All you need to know:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/38212

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/types.aspx
Click on "United air travel award rules:"
"You may redeem miles for travel in United Global FirstSM, United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst® , even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. For example, a Saver United First award must be confirmed in Saver United Economy to be eligible for waitlisting. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Reservations office"

« Last edited by HolyNyc on February 02, 2015, 08:51:46 AM »

Author Topic: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability  (Read 505888 times)

Offline MoGro17

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability
« Reply #320 on: January 14, 2014, 03:57:38 PM »
another question:
Does Plan B work for flights that only have standard awards available?

Another way to ask it: If i do Plan B for standard award, will I get charged for STANDARD business award or can i specifically request for SAVER business award?

Offline jaywhy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 14, 2014, 04:22:09 PM »
another question:
Does Plan B work for flights that only have standard awards available?

Another way to ask it: If i do Plan B for standard award, will I get charged for STANDARD business award or can i specifically request for SAVER business award?
Not sure why you would do that, but you need to have saver coach available to waitlist for saver business.

Offline MoGro17

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 14, 2014, 05:58:53 PM »
Not sure why you would do that, but you need to have saver coach available to waitlist for saver business.

You answered my question.
Like you said: saver for saver; standard for standard. Just wanted to know if I can get saver business on a flight that only offers standard biz/coach via this hack.

Offline Dudeguy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 15, 2014, 05:16:06 PM »
I tried setting up a United plan B. I called the number Dan linked to in his original article. The representative told me what I was looking to setup was a typical saver coach award travel with a wait-list for business class. I explained what I wanted to do and that I knew it would be setup right if I'd be booked in X or XN and it would say IN class requested all while paying the full business saver award mileage price. She said that that's exactly what will happen when I do a typical coach ticket with wait-list for business. So everything looks as the way Dan said it should but she claims that this is nothing special and different. Am I united plan B setup?

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 15, 2014, 05:18:40 PM »
I tried setting up a United plan B. I called the number Dan linked to in his original article. The representative told me what I was looking to setup was a typical saver coach award travel with a wait-list for business class. I explained what I wanted to do and that I knew it would be setup right if I'd be booked in X or XN and it would say IN class requested all while paying the full business saver award mileage price. She said that that's exactly what will happen when I do a typical coach ticket with wait-list for business. So everything looks as the way Dan said it should but she claims that this is nothing special and different. Am I united plan B setup?
Does it have you in X class with you I class waitlisted? If so it's set up correctly; otherwise it's not.

Offline Dudeguy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 15, 2014, 05:22:40 PM »
Thank you for your help!

Yes, I'm in X class, I class requested.

Curious then, what would it say if i booked saver coach and called in to be waitlisted?

Will I automatically be upgraded as soon as availability opens up? Or do I have to keep checking somewhere?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 15, 2014, 05:32:18 PM »
Thank you for your help!

Yes, I'm in X class, I class requested.

Curious then, what would it say if i booked saver coach and called in to be waitlisted?

Will I automatically be upgraded as soon as availability opens up? Or do I have to keep checking somewhere?
Sounds like the same thing to me. You will be upgraded if a seat becomes available up until 24 hours before the flight. No one need to check.

Offline Dudeguy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 15, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
So then what is the difference between normal waitlisting and united plan B? And how do you know which one you're booked on?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 15, 2014, 05:55:37 PM »
So then what is the difference between normal waitlisting and united plan B? And how do you know which one you're booked on?
Not sure, but I know what Plan B is and that it's not an official term.

Offline Dudeguy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 15, 2014, 05:59:02 PM »
Not sure, but I know what Plan B is and that it's not an official term.

Okay. Thank you.

Does anyone know if there really is a difference between typical waitlisting and united plan b? How will I know for sure which of the two I'm booked on?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #330 on: January 15, 2014, 05:59:53 PM »
Am I united plan B setup?
No, you're merely waitlisted.
Plan B allows you to be a displaced business passenger at the airport. You will not.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #331 on: January 15, 2014, 06:05:36 PM »
If you read my Plan B post the internal reference code is listed.

The process is also described on United.com: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/types.aspx
"You may redeem miles for travel in United Global FirstSM, United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst® , even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. For example, a Saver United First award must be confirmed in Saver United Economy to be eligible for waitlisting. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Reservations office."
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dudeguy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 15, 2014, 06:16:20 PM »
If you read my Plan B post the internal reference code is listed.

The process is also described on United.com: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/types.aspx
"You may redeem miles for travel in United Global FirstSM, United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst® , even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. For example, a Saver United First award must be confirmed in Saver United Economy to be eligible for waitlisting. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Reservations office."

I read the post. My internal rate codes match what you say I should be in. Im booked in X and I requested. I also see the full business fare was charged. But the lady said this is a regular waitlist and nothing different than the typical.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 15, 2014, 06:26:53 PM »
As long as you're charged business you're good to go.

Offline Dudeguy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 15, 2014, 06:31:37 PM »
As long as you're charged business you're good to go.

Nice!

Although the lady says that I'll always be charged the full business fare when I waitlist...whatever.

Thank you Dan!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 15, 2014, 06:46:51 PM »
DROPR

Offline chucksterace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline Dudeguy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 15, 2014, 06:50:48 PM »
DROPR

? Never heard that one before?

Offline chucksterace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #338 on: January 15, 2014, 06:59:28 PM »
I know it. Don't rely of Phone reps. Yay me
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 15, 2014, 07:01:49 PM »
That's one of the most obscure acronyms I've seen in a while.