Topic Wiki

All you need to know:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/38212

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/types.aspx
Click on "United air travel award rules:"
"You may redeem miles for travel in United Global FirstSM, United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst® , even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. For example, a Saver United First award must be confirmed in Saver United Economy to be eligible for waitlisting. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Reservations office"

« Last edited by HolyNyc on February 02, 2015, 08:51:46 AM »

Author Topic: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability  (Read 507632 times)

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability
« Reply #1180 on: February 09, 2015, 01:02:00 PM »
If that gets you in J - and on this route, this is sometimes you're only option - I'd say it's worth it.
For me it's only 10K PP as I'm only doing one-way. And on my date, there is little chance that it'd open for J straight up. So for me, it's without a doubt worth the extra 10K for access to lie-flat J on a flight that can be twice as long as NYC-LHR.
Okay, I definitely hear the argument. As none of my 2 months of flexibility even have Y Saver space, Plan B isn't an option yet.

Offline Jeremiah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: February 10, 2015, 05:43:31 PM »
Any body had luck with plan b at Ewr . ? I had it all set up good it said I  class requested. Went to united clubb agent twice . Nothing she said you are booked in economy and there is was only 42 k debited from account . She refused to call mileage plus . tried another one and no go . They went all nuts when i told them the reference codes .
So i went back the counter at check in. The lady said she sees the 70 k debited but they don't touch award tickets .And i need to go to gate
so i went to gate and was by the counter for 45 min .  i aid i paid for business and am shirking in economy.  She said you were debited 42k for this flight.  she called mileage plus . The lady on phone confirmed i was debited . So she asked the award dept to book me in business . they said to call reservations , she asked them to put her thru and stay on the line , they put her thru with out staying online . And reservation of course was no help they said they only see 42 k debited . Then they  hung up on us .     She said they need to book me in business . I asked her to get ttn a superviser she said no way thwy are doing other things
so as a last ditch i told her to look up gg one stand by on line 81, she did and said it says global firsys something... then i saids around 81 and asked her what it said she said it says pr -1 and she says its not applicable to you she said she s not getting near that with a ten foot pole .   
She then said be call this flight is under fraud  watch, that some mileage broker is selling seats and doing crazy stuff . And i should tell them to watch out .  United 84 btw
And she said the new system is ganna be harder to redem tickets or someting

i dont understand how to get them to change your ticket to business if it says economy . And all they see is 42 k , and even with the award desk telling them they still . Why should they change any thinything if your ticket is in wconomy it doeant say any thing about business besides added to stand by upgrade list .   Im on the plane now any shot to ask sterwares ?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1182 on: February 10, 2015, 06:00:34 PM »
People have definitely been successful at EWR. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

But now that you're on the plane, there is nothing that can be done. Stewardess will not be able to help.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Platinum

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: February 10, 2015, 08:52:06 PM »
Any body had luck with plan b at Ewr . ? I had it all set up good it said I  class requested. Went to united clubb agent twice . Nothing she said you are booked in economy and there is was only 42 k debited from account . She refused to call mileage plus . tried another one and no go . They went all nuts when i told them the reference codes .
So i went back the counter at check in. The lady said she sees the 70 k debited but they don't touch award tickets .And i need to go to gate
so i went to gate and was by the counter for 45 min .  i aid i paid for business and am shirking in economy.  She said you were debited 42k for this flight.  she called mileage plus . The lady on phone confirmed i was debited . So she asked the award dept to book me in business . they said to call reservations , she asked them to put her thru and stay on the line , they put her thru with out staying online . And reservation of course was no help they said they only see 42 k debited . Then they  hung up on us .     She said they need to book me in business . I asked her to get ttn a superviser she said no way thwy are doing other things
so as a last ditch i told her to look up gg one stand by on line 81, she did and said it says global firsys something... then i saids around 81 and asked her what it said she said it says pr -1 and she says its not applicable to you she said she s not getting near that with a ten foot pole .   
She then said be call this flight is under fraud  watch, that some mileage broker is selling seats and doing crazy stuff . And i should tell them to watch out .  United 84 btw

i dont understand how to get them to change your ticket to business if it says economy . And all they see is 42 k , and even with the award desk telling them they still . Why should they change any thinything if your ticket is in wconomy it doeant say any thing about business besides added to stand by upgrade list .   Im on the plane now any shot to ask sterwares ?

I had a similar story at EWR, looks like its becoming harder to do.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1184 on: February 10, 2015, 11:42:51 PM »
For those successful with Plan B at EWR, who gave you the PR-1 status? Regular check in? Priority checkin? Lounge? Gate agent?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: February 10, 2015, 11:59:25 PM »

Next time try calling United on the callback line after checking in online & explain to them that you paid a J fare but was seated in Y

For those successful with Plan B at EWR, who gave you the PR-1 status? Regular check in? Priority checkin? Lounge? Gate agent?
iirc from the reports in this thread, lounge is the way to go

Offline Jeremiah

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: February 11, 2015, 01:47:38 AM »
What im trying to figure out is what makes them put you on biz ???????????  What do they see that they should do any thing for you ?

Offline Million Miler

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: February 11, 2015, 05:13:35 AM »

Regular Economy Check-In was where I had success, since there were seats available I wasn't waitlisted, I was just assigned a seat in biz.
Had no luck at Priority checkin or with special services (where priority checkin sent me...)

Offline gswannabe

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United gold, spg Plat, Delta silver, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, flying blue gold
« Reply #1188 on: February 11, 2015, 10:30:23 PM »
Just got off the phone with a United rep (ex continental) He told me that he was familiar with the concept. However after checking with his superior he has told that United corporate in Chicago no longer allows them to do this. He said if does book me with plan B he could get written up for it.
Is there any truth to this or just HUCA ?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: February 11, 2015, 10:36:17 PM »
Just got off the phone with a United rep (ex continental) He told me that he was familiar with the concept. However after checking with his superior he has told that United corporate in Chicago no longer allows them to do this. He said if does book me with plan B he could get written up for it.

What do YOU think? :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1190 on: February 11, 2015, 10:37:43 PM »

Direct agent to the UA.com URL in the wiki explaining it's allowed.
Or better yet HUCA.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline gswannabe

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United gold, spg Plat, Delta silver, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, flying blue gold
« Reply #1191 on: February 11, 2015, 11:20:13 PM »
Thanks Dan,
I did HUCA and it worked like a charm.
Hope we clear !

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1192 on: February 14, 2015, 08:47:33 PM »
Anyone try getting UA to book a Plan B on a date without X space by booking I space on another date and requesting I space for your desired date?

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: February 14, 2015, 09:23:52 PM »
You're suggesting being waitlisted for I, without already having a seat in X? Where would be upgraded from?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: February 14, 2015, 09:30:04 PM »
From the original date I suppose. 

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: February 14, 2015, 09:39:45 PM »
Interesting. My bet is that they don't have the technical capability to do that.

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: February 14, 2015, 09:52:57 PM »
Interesting. My bet is that they don't have the technical capability to do that.
Why not? As long you hold a live ticket any wait-list request should stick to the ressy, and you should probably be able to be added to the airport standby list.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: February 14, 2015, 09:56:05 PM »
Why not? As long you hold a live ticket any wait-list request should stick to the ressy, and you should probably be able to be added to the airport standby list.

My guess is that the system will not accommodate a wait-listed upgrade request for a coupon not matching the flight for which the upgrade is sought.

Get back to me when you've pulled it off.

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: February 15, 2015, 01:33:37 AM »
My guess is that the system will not accommodate a wait-listed upgrade request for a coupon not matching the flight for which the upgrade is sought.

Get back to me when you've pulled it off.
Its not an upgrade request. Its I class request.  You're right that you can't request an upgrade when you don't have a seat on that flight. But you can always wait-list a class a fare class (and here its I class) even on a different flight. I think.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline Million Miler

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: February 15, 2015, 04:51:36 AM »
Its not an upgrade request. Its I class request.  You're right that you can't request an upgrade when you don't have a seat on that flight. But you can always wait-list a class a fare class (and here its I class) even on a different flight. I think.

I tried it once on a Plan B that I set up for TLV-EWR when I was flexible on the dates, it was no issue to have set up, but since it was during peak season nothing actually cleared, but a few days before the flight, a flight which I didn't waitlist opened up in IN and I just grabbed it. I don't know how it would work in if you walked into the airport and was just waitlisted for that days flight without a confirmed seat... would love to see the faces of the checkin agents  :)

Ps. As it was booked out of a 1K Acct  I was told there would be no change fees if anything would clear. Also, They wouldn't let me waitlist more than 3 different flights for that reservation.