Topic Wiki

All you need to know:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/38212

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/types.aspx
Click on "United air travel award rules:"
"You may redeem miles for travel in United Global FirstSM, United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst® , even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. For example, a Saver United First award must be confirmed in Saver United Economy to be eligible for waitlisting. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Reservations office"

« Last edited by HolyNyc on February 02, 2015, 08:51:46 AM »

Author Topic: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability  (Read 507571 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability
« Reply #1220 on: February 17, 2015, 05:17:05 PM »
Please email me a copy of the new wording.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Rindsy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: February 17, 2015, 05:18:58 PM »
@Dan, you gotta figure out the new lines.

Rindsy, can you post a screen shot of the ggstandby line?

Unfortunately, they wouldn't provide me with a copy of the printout... I would have been focused on getting an earlier flight, if they hadn't given me hope that I'll be sitting comfortably later... Now (all within the time since I arrived at the airport) all the earlier flights (economy and higher) are sold out!
If you're in the financing or e-commerce business, and need capital to grow, we should talk...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1222 on: February 17, 2015, 05:42:37 PM »
AJ, up to you now to get a pic of the screen or printout.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sillypainter

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: February 17, 2015, 05:50:34 PM »
What's the difference between PR1 and PR2?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1224 on: February 17, 2015, 06:04:55 PM »
AJ, up to you now to get a pic of the screen or printout.

Not sure how easy that will be.

What's the difference between PR1 and PR2?

Huge difference.

Apparently once your PR-2, your thrown in the cage with everyone else where status matters, so essentially if it's between you (with no status) and a Silver, you'd lose. At least that's how I understood it.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: February 17, 2015, 06:06:23 PM »
People have posted pics of GG printouts and screens before.

If nothing else let's get the exact line and wording.

Not gonna go to EWR tonight to see if you can find an agent that will give pr1?

Offline aradisc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: February 17, 2015, 06:26:09 PM »
Yeah, that's what I was told, too. I posted upthread.

I thought you said GS only? Huge difference between that and all elites.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1227 on: February 17, 2015, 06:28:26 PM »
I thought you said GS only? Huge difference between that and all elites.

You're right.

My rep definitely only said GS, and not all elite. My hunch is that OP got confused between elite and GS, but who knows.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline sillypainter

• View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: February 17, 2015, 06:30:56 PM »
Not sure how easy that will be.

Huge difference.

Apparently once your PR-2, your thrown in the cage with everyone else where status matters, so essentially if it's between you (with no status) and a Silver, you'd lose. At least that's how I understood it.

Thanks. This would be a real bummer then.

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: February 17, 2015, 06:52:38 PM »
So it looks like Plan B is half way dead. It seems that they indeed changed the wording that anyone redeeming for an award who paid business class WILL go after PR-1 status. It says something that it will go after PR1 but before PR2. At least this is the info I received.  I didn't see the actual line.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: February 17, 2015, 06:56:15 PM »
So it looks like Plan B is half way dead. It seems that they indeed changed the wording that anyone redeeming for an award who paid business class WILL go after PR-1 status. It says something that it will go after PR1 but before PR2. At least this is the info I received.  I didn't see the actual line.

Yeah, sure sounded like something had changed when I reported it this morning. Figured I'd report it because the agent did seem competent.

However, provided 1) that PR-1 is limited to GS only, and 2) that displaced business class pax go before PR-2 where the rest of the rif raff are, then this isn't that terrible of a change.

If either of those things aren't true, it's more than halfway dead. It's dinosaur dead.

Offline nobiggy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: February 17, 2015, 06:58:30 PM »
I don't like the sound of this.... I have my parents booked on a Plan B for pesach.

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: February 17, 2015, 07:05:16 PM »
Yeah, sure sounded like something had changed when I reported it this morning. Figured I'd report it because the agent did seem competent.

However, provided 1) that PR-1 is limited to GS only, and 2) that displaced business class pax go before PR-2 where the rest of the rif raff are, then this isn't that terrible of a change.

If either of those things aren't true, it's more than halfway dead. It's dinosaur dead.
Well, I would say that even it is true that Plan B goes ahead of PR2 the agents will not know how to do it or just will not read thru everything. And they will just give the pax PR2 status like Rindsy had.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: February 17, 2015, 07:06:40 PM »
Well, I would say that even it is true that Plan B goes ahead of PR2 the agents will not know how to do it or just will not read thru everything. And they will just give the pax PR2 status like Rindsy had.

What doesn't make sense is that for that to be true, there would have to be something created like a PR-1.5... not sure I'm liking the chances of that.

In all likelihood, Plan-B'ers will be stuck in PR-2.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: February 17, 2015, 07:10:17 PM »
Anyone going to an airport, please see if you can snap a photo of the new rules.

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: February 17, 2015, 08:05:17 PM »
Not in J. When my status changed from "I class requested" to "R Class" I just said pointed out that I'd already paid for J and there were still seats for sale and it was weird I wasn't confirmed (played naive a bit). Flight ended up having 4 seats open (on a 772 GIG-IAH).
+1, that's exactly what I did recently, worked like a charm

Offline Rindsy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: February 18, 2015, 03:17:33 AM »
What doesn't make sense is that for that to be true, there would have to be something created like a PR-1.5... not sure I'm liking the chances of that.

In all likelihood, Plan-B'ers will be stuck in PR-2.

It appeared from the waitlist as if I were put at the top of the PR-2 list, just below the PR-1 folks, but I didn't clear, while all of them did. I'm now sitting in sardine class. :-) Oddly, at first, after a long explanation to the agent (P.S. - this was at the United lounge, not the gate), she obliged, made the necessary calls (after first telling me there was no way I was getting PR-1), and after speaking with the mileage desk, put me in PR-1.  This nasty old agent nearby heard the whole thing, had a scowl on her face, and kept coming over and pointing out the "new" rules (which she didn't even know were new).  Long story short, I walked away (at first) at the top of the PR-1 list, but later, they informed me that they had to take me off of PR-1 and put me below those folks because of the (new) rules. They were shocked that I knew the terminology, the name of the document, and the lines, but they showed me that the lines had changed, and that only very specific elites can get PR-1 status, and that everyone who doesn't fall within that category can only get PR-2 status.  What doesn't add up is that this doesn't fit so well with the fact that we're displaced business class passengers, who paid (in miles) the business class fare.  Any way to book through a Global Services account in the future?  Would that help?  I don't have GS, and don't see it in my future anytime soon, at least, but I wonder if a Plan B booked on someone else's GS account would help.
If you're in the financing or e-commerce business, and need capital to grow, we should talk...

Offline Rindsy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: February 18, 2015, 03:24:58 AM »
+1, that's exactly what I did recently, worked like a charm

If you don't clear automatically, how does your I/IN become R?

Offline AharonInIsrael

• View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: February 18, 2015, 04:29:44 AM »
If you don't clear automatically, how does your I/IN become R?
IINM, he called up and they did it manually over the phone.

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: February 18, 2015, 08:24:28 AM »

Putting on my game face for check-in.
Congrats