Topic Wiki

All you need to know:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/38212

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/types.aspx
Click on "United air travel award rules:"
"You may redeem miles for travel in United Global FirstSM, United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst® , even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. For example, a Saver United First award must be confirmed in Saver United Economy to be eligible for waitlisting. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Reservations office"

« Last edited by HolyNyc on February 02, 2015, 08:51:46 AM »

Author Topic: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability  (Read 507477 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability
« Reply #1520 on: August 13, 2015, 07:30:22 PM »
From what I understand EWR-TLV is hard during peak travel season. Other routes and times are usually a lot easier.
Peak or not, shouldn't make a difference as to what PR status he should get.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: August 13, 2015, 07:37:06 PM »
Peak or not, shouldn't make a difference as to what PR status he should get.
True, but even PR-2 should clear non-peak.

Offline SLP

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: August 16, 2015, 09:53:20 AM »
I set up a plan B for NYC-LAX-MEL. I fly tomorrow. The NYC-LAX cleared sometime early this morning and I got an email. Now when I look at my reservation in my account, it does not say "I class requested" for the LAX-MEL portion, even though it is more than 24 hours until departure. It's back to XN class.  Is this usual? Any ideas why this happened and what to do about it?

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: August 16, 2015, 10:00:02 AM »
I set up a plan B for NYC-LAX-MEL. I fly tomorrow. The NYC-LAX cleared sometime early this morning and I got an email. Now when I look at my reservation in my account, it does not say "I class requested" for the LAX-MEL portion, even though it is more than 24 hours until departure. It's back to XN class.  Is this usual? Any ideas why this happened and what to do about it?
Have you checked in for the NYC-LAX part? Are you on the upgrade list? In any case, I would PUTPAC to have it put back.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline SLP

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: August 16, 2015, 10:09:14 AM »
Have you checked in for the NYC-LAX part? Are you on the upgrade list? In any case, I would PUTPAC to have it put back.
Check in isn't available yet; my flight is at 5pm tomorrow. But, I can click on flight status when I'm viewing my reservation. No one is on the upgrade list and it says seats are available.

Offline Myccrabbi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: August 16, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »
I have a question: if I booked 2 passangers on plan b and it said I class requested, then only one seat cleared and now I checked online and it dosent say I class requested but it says: this flight segment is waitlisted.
Anyone have experience?
If u work for a living, why kill urself working?

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: August 17, 2015, 02:01:21 AM »
I am SOOOO mad, so I figured I'll share my story here. I had a friend with Plan B set up, got PR1 status and was number 1 on the list. Everything looks good, there were still seats available in business class, he was sure that his upgrade is going to be confirmed. All of the sudden, his name disappeared from the list. I am not going to go in to my theories as to why they took him off the list, but that is what they did. The gate agent claimed some BS that he did not pay for business class and some other BS.  >:( >:( >:( >:(  He was arguing with them for 25 minutes and NOTHING! WOW, United you amazed me AGAIN!
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline AharonInIsrael

• View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: August 17, 2015, 03:38:59 AM »
I am SOOOO mad, so I figured I'll share my story here. I had a friend with Plan B set up, got PR1 status and was number 1 on the list. Everything looks good, there were still seats available in business class, he was sure that his upgrade is going to be confirmed. All of the sudden, his name disappeared from the list. I am not going to go in to my theories as to why they took him off the list, but that is what they did. The gate agent claimed some BS that he did not pay for business class and some other BS.  >:( >:( >:( >:(  He was arguing with them for 25 minutes and NOTHING! WOW, United you amazed me AGAIN!
Wow, that's awful. Sorry
What airport?

Offline foseph

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: August 18, 2015, 12:28:32 PM »
if i dont have the miles to pay for plan B, is there any way without paying the dif to get to the top of the upgrade list?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: August 18, 2015, 12:33:13 PM »
Not having much luck here. I tried like 10 times and nobody knew what I was talking about and kept on saying we cant do that.

After the 10th time...
The telephone number you entered or your internet address has been restricted from placing further calls.

lol

What's the odds of getting bumped up jfk/lax next Tuesdays with 8 seats available? If very slim I wont even try plan b

TY
Wow! I didn't know they blocked numbers from calling. Way to go for figuring that out!

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: August 18, 2015, 12:36:27 PM »
if i dont have the miles to pay for plan B, is there any way without paying the dif to get to the top of the upgrade list?
GS
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline foseph

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: August 18, 2015, 12:53:30 PM »
GS
sorry meant to say also no status, just have a United MPE card. flight's today

Offline DMYD

• View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: August 18, 2015, 01:20:38 PM »
No

Offline yitzyul

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: August 18, 2015, 01:26:38 PM »
Wow! I didn't know they blocked numbers from calling. Way to go for figuring that out!
Via IP address, too many to soon.

UPDATE: I called the reg 800# person answered and she said "sure" I just have to go ask my supervisor how to do it. waited on hold for 20 min and she did it. I did have to pay the $75 close in fee. I asked her to waive the $25 over the phone fee which she did after another 10 min hold. I have to thank Dan but will wait if I actually get the seat so the thanks can be fully genuine ;)

Offline yitzyul

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: August 18, 2015, 02:01:45 PM »

UPDATE: I called the reg 800# person answered and she said "sure" I just have to go ask my supervisor how to do it. waited on hold for 20 min and she did it. I did have to pay the $75 close in fee. I asked her to waive the $25 over the phone fee which she did after another 10 min hold. I have to thank Dan but will wait if I actually get the seat so the thanks can be fully genuine ;)

Sheesh I knew it was too easy. This what they booked me, im assuming that it is incorrect because I don't see the "IN"?
Why in the world would she book me a full fare economy if there is a saver  reward available????

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: August 18, 2015, 02:08:15 PM »
Sheesh I knew it was too easy. This what they booked me, im assuming that it is incorrect because I don't see the "IN"?
Why in the world would she book me a full fare economy if there is a saver  reward available????
That doesn't look right.

Offline D93

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: August 18, 2015, 02:11:02 PM »
That is not a plan b. Cancel and start again.

Offline traveler915

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: August 25, 2015, 05:05:49 AM »
Hi, I'm planning a trip for 2 to Paris next year (looking at April/May, before high season starts), and was wondering if anyone has had success with Plan B from SFO -> CDG, or if anyone knows the chances of us getting into I seats.

I'm also considering taking advantage of the stopover/open jaws and go SFO -> CDG, LHR -> SFO, and SFO -> JFK/EWR (at a later date) on the same award ticket.  If I can find economy saver availability on all the flights, that means I can plan B them for 115k miles per person right?  What happens if I only get into a business class seat for one leg of the itinerary?  I assume I can just call United and get the miles refunded?

I apologize if this has been already asked in the thread... I actually read through the last 50 pages but may have glossed over a few posts =)

Thanks in advance!

Offline Jake The Snake

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: August 30, 2015, 06:44:38 AM »
Hey,
Maybe someone can help me. I booked a saver award economy ticket from Newark - TLV. I called in within 24 hours to try and book a "Plan B" ticket. The woman seemed to know what she was doing, as she said that she needs to take the additional points from my account now. The only problem is, that she quoted the wrong amount. An Economy saver is 42,500 points, while Business saver is 70,000, so I needed to shell out an additional 27,500. However, she said that she needs to take 17,500 (I didn't object, thinking that perhaps I can get away with it, and save 10,000 points.) She took the points and waitlisted me for Business.
A few questions:
1) Since she took the wrong amount of points, will this prevent me from being considered a "displaced business class passenger", and will I merely be just another guy on the waitlist for business?
2) If you look at the attachments below, you'll see that in the first one, the waitlist shows as a separate flight segment, whereas in the second attachment, it shows  in the same segment with "(I class requested)" (as Dan showed in his post). This came up 2 different times, when I signed in to my United account. Does that make a difference?
3) She only waitlisted me for "I" class, instead of "IN". I have an Explorer card, does this make a difference?

Sorry to be so long-winded, and thanks in advance for the help.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:52:32 AM by Jake The Snake »

Offline a mirrer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: August 30, 2015, 07:44:40 AM »
3) She only waitlisted me for "I" class, instead of "IN". I have an Explorer card, does this make a difference?
"IN" is only for united elite status holders