Topic Wiki

All you need to know:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/38212

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/types.aspx
Click on "United air travel award rules:"
"You may redeem miles for travel in United Global FirstSM, United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst® , even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. For example, a Saver United First award must be confirmed in Saver United Economy to be eligible for waitlisting. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Reservations office"

« Last edited by HolyNyc on February 02, 2015, 08:51:46 AM »

Author Topic: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability  (Read 507382 times)

Offline KidOOO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability
« Reply #2000 on: May 04, 2016, 11:48:08 PM »
What ever happened with your Plan B?

Didn't clear J

I ended up checking in at airport, Agent couldn't figure out how to check us in and asked me to call united to help, UA rep checked us in over the phone, however that put me on upgrade list with priority D. so I tried explaining to check-in agent that I should get higher priority on upgrade list being displaced business passenger etc (was number 8 and 9 on list with BF fully booked)

First she said never heard of such a thing, the list is holy and she cannot touch etc, and again advised to call united for help. UA agent confirmed over the phone that I should get PR-1 status, I even gave the check-in agent my phone and she basically told the UA agent even though she can technically do it she won't since it's against UA policy, to which the agent replied that UA policy says she SHOULD give me PR-1 status - to which the gate agent replied advising the UA agent that if he wants he can do it on his end since she will not do it no matter what. 

At that point the UA phone agent got his supervisor who asked to speak to the gate agent supervisor, (there were actually 2 woman TLV supervisors who got on this call) the conversation was a repeat of the previous one, and ended with UA phone agent telling them to call help desk to get this done, (which of course was of no help since they know how to do it just refused to actually do) UA phone agent then apologised to me for this unprofessional behavior and advised me to take their names and file a complaint)

(I have all these calls recorded but not sure what good that will do)

At that point I decided chances of this happening were slim to none, and left the checking desk. only 1 seat ended up open and was given to the first in the upgrade list

From what they said to me and what I overheard them talking in Hebrew  it seems they have given some plan B passengers PR-1 status in the pass however they got some heat for doing it from passengers with high status who complained about it, and therefore decided not to do it anymore. one of the supervisors went as far as telling I was trying to commit "fraud"
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:51:48 PM by KidOOO »

Offline GAM Z.

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: May 04, 2016, 11:51:20 PM »
Didn't clear J

I ended up checking in at airport, Agent couldn't figure out how to check us in and asked me to call united to help, UA rep checked us in over the phone, however that put me on upgrade list with priority D. so I tried explaining to check-in agent that I should get higher priority on upgrade list being displaced business passenger etc (was number 8 and 9 on list with BF fully booked)

First she said never heard of such a thing, the list is holy and she cannot touch etc, and again advised to call united for help. UA agent confirmed over the phone that I should get PR-1 status, I even gave the check-in agent my phone and she basically told the UA agent even though she can technically do it she won't since it's against UA policy, to which the agent replied that UA policy says she SHOULD give me PR-1 status - to which the gate agent replied advising the UA agent that if he wants he can do it on his end since she will not do it no matter what. 

At that point the UA phone agent got this supervisor who asked to speak to the gate agent supervisor, (there were actually 2 woman TLV supervisors who got on this call) the conversation was a repeat of the previous one, and ended with UA phone agent telling them to call help desk to get this done, (which of course was of no help since they know how to do it just refused to actually do) UA phone agent then apologised to me for this unprofessional behavior and advised me to take their names and file a complaint)

At that point I decided chances of this happening were slip to none, and left the checking desk. only 1 seat ended up open and was given to the first in the upgrade list

From what they said to me and what I overheard them talking in Hebrew  it seems they have given some plan B passengers PR-1 status in the pass however they got some heat for doing it from passengers with high status who complained about it, and therefore decided not to do it anymore. one of the supervisors went as far as telling I was trying to commit "fraud"
Did you file a complaint with United?

Offline KidOOO

• View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: May 04, 2016, 11:53:13 PM »
Did you file a complaint with United?

Not yet, Not sure if I or anyone else will gain anything from such a complaint, (there's also the fact that the PR-1 status thing is not really listed anywhere on united officially AFAIK, making my complaint a bit hard to support)

will wait to hear if anyone has an opinion on this
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:56:38 PM by KidOOO »

Offline gtyossi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: May 05, 2016, 09:22:18 AM »
If you are flying from a connecting city to EWR-TLV can you request PR-1 status at city of origin or only in EWR?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2004 on: May 05, 2016, 09:22:56 AM »
Either.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: May 05, 2016, 11:34:35 AM »
one of the supervisors went as far as telling I was trying to commit "fraud"
These UA check in agent in Tel Aviv are called animals even in Israel where bad customer service is the normal. By them everything if fraud, they used to have people standing by the check in counters like FBI agents and checking through every booking.

When they think that a booking is fraud they won't just stop the guy from checking in, rather they will check in the guy, let him board the plane, and after the guy gets comfortable in his seat with the family they will come up again looking like FBI agents and take the family off the plane.

KidOOO, which dept in UA did you have on the phone? Was it the call back? How and where did they see that you deserve PR1?
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: May 05, 2016, 11:39:40 AM »
Didn't clear J

At that point the UA phone agent got his supervisor who asked to speak to the gate agent supervisor, (there were actually 2 woman TLV supervisors who got on this call) the conversation was a repeat of the previous one, and ended with UA phone agent telling them to call help desk to get this done, (which of course was of no help since they know how to do it just refused to actually do) UA phone agent then apologised to me for this unprofessional behavior and advised me to take their names and file a complaint)

(I have all these calls recorded but not sure what good that will do)

At that point I decided chances of this happening were slim to none, and left the checking desk. only 1 seat ended up open and was given to the first in the upgrade list

Oh boy I really feel bad for you, believe me I know the feeling

I was pr1 and the gate agent actually took me off the list, they're so ignorant & just make up their own rules.

Also when doing plan b from tlv I've never heard of people getting pr1 at the airport

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2007 on: May 05, 2016, 11:40:32 AM »
Also when doing plan b from tlv I've never heard of people getting pr1 at the airport
I know someone who did, but it was full anyway.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: May 05, 2016, 11:41:47 AM »
I know someone who did, but it was full anyway.
The agent in tlv gave them pr1?
That's news to me

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: May 05, 2016, 11:44:04 AM »
The agent in tlv gave them pr1?
That's news to me
Yes. Directed by UA on the phone.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2010 on: May 05, 2016, 12:49:34 PM »
I was pr1 and the gate agent actually took me off the list, they're so ignorant & just make up their own rules.

Yup. Had the same thing, but in SFO.

Was PR 1 until just before they closed boarding doors and bam! Poof.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline KidOOO

• View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: May 05, 2016, 08:51:08 PM »

These UA check in agent in Tel Aviv are called animals even in Israel where bad customer service is the normal. By them everything if fraud, they used to have people standing by the check in counters like FBI agents and checking through every booking.

When they think that a booking is fraud they won't just stop the guy from checking in, rather they will check in the guy, let him board the plane, and after the guy gets comfortable in his seat with the family they will come up again looking like FBI agents and take the family off the plane.

KidOOO, which dept in UA did you have on the phone? Was it the call back? How and where did they see that you deserve PR1?

I hate to disagree, but other than dealing with this particular PR-1 issue, the agent I dealt with was very courteous and helpful and spent about 45 minutes with me patiently (albeit without giving me what I deserved)

I called regular UA line. I explained to agent what I booked and how I was already on upgrade list and all I needed was for her to explain to check-in agent that they need to give me higher priority. She did say at first she never heard of this before but after about 10 min and verifying this with a supervisor she was very clear that I was entitled to PR-1 status

Oh boy I really feel bad for you, believe me I know the feeling

I didn't have high hopes to begin with. I figured we will most likely end up in coach, but being a day flight I didn't mind it, and if we did somehow end up in business would be a nice surprise.

Yes. Directed by UA on the phone.

I wrote earlier the supervisor said they gave PR-1 in this situation a few times in the past as directed by UA but they got in trouble for it, so they decided not to do it anymore
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 09:04:23 PM by KidOOO »

Offline yochiek93

• View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: May 06, 2016, 12:43:00 AM »

I wrote earlier the supervisor said they gave PR-1 in this situation a few times in the past as directed by UA but they got in trouble for it, so they decided not to do it anymore
how is that?

Offline KidOOO

• View Profile

Offline yochiek93

• View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: May 06, 2016, 12:56:16 AM »
how is what
They got in trouble when they were told to do it?

Offline KidOOO

• View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: May 06, 2016, 04:57:19 PM »
They got in trouble when they were told to do it?

The way I understood it they were convinced it was incorrect and UA agent was wrong.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: May 08, 2016, 03:41:15 AM »
I hate to disagree, but other than dealing with this particular PR-1 issue, the agent I dealt with was very courteous and helpful and spent about 45 minutes with me patiently (albeit without giving me what I deserved)
Well, these agents I hate even more. Vd'l.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: May 08, 2016, 08:01:28 PM »
Just called UA to see if they can note my reservation so that I don't have to fight with an airport agent about getting PR-1 and she said that I'm currently #1 on the waitlist. I have no way of verifying that because the flight is in more than 24 hours so won't show up on the app yet. Can I rely on the rep? Does she not know what she's talking about? Is it even possible for her to check that?

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: May 08, 2016, 08:07:23 PM »
BS.

1) because I've yet to find a UA agent besides GS who knew how to check waitlists if its <24.

2) You are not on any waitlist now. You are just waitlisted for I class. You'll have to be put on manually on the list.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: May 08, 2016, 08:18:43 PM »
BS.

1) because I've yet to find a UA agent besides GS who knew how to check waitlists if its <24.

2) You are not on any waitlist now. You are just waitlisted for I class. You'll have to be put on manually on the list.
Crap. Figured that was the answer. So once it's within 24 hours, I'll probably be automatically put on the bottom, right?