Topic Wiki

All you need to know:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/38212

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/types.aspx
Click on "United air travel award rules:"
"You may redeem miles for travel in United Global FirstSM, United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst® , even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. For example, a Saver United First award must be confirmed in Saver United Economy to be eligible for waitlisting. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Reservations office"

« Last edited by HolyNyc on February 02, 2015, 08:51:46 AM »

Author Topic: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability  (Read 512314 times)

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Re: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability
« Reply #2520 on: July 10, 2021, 10:59:45 PM »
I saw that but what part? That Dan did it by making a new ticket?
It's possible, but it's not Plan B. They don't have to put at the beginning of the line at the airport if it doesn't clear before, but most agents don't do that anyways anymore (CMIIW) even if they're supposed to.

Offline shmooz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: July 10, 2021, 11:13:23 PM »
Ok, since I already have a ticket, I'll take my chances that nowadays some TLV flights will have empty anyway.

But I already tried twice and they had no idea what I was talking about...

Offline mdv

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Marriott Titanium Hyatt Globalist Hilton Diamond UA silver DL silver AC 25k Avis PC Hertz PC National EE
« Reply #2522 on: July 13, 2021, 08:46:20 PM »
What are my chances getting upgraded using plan b ewr to kef for next week... as of now only 2 seats left in j
Sorry I don't have any snarky line for this space

Offline shmooz

• View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: July 15, 2021, 09:37:14 AM »
Has anyone ever tried (I’m sorry if it’s discussed in the previous 125 pages) to modify an existing coach reservation to take additional miles and change the reservation to Plan B?  I’m going to try but I’d like to see if I can get confirmation that it’s possible before beating up phone agents.

It worked for me. Waitlisted and cleared days in advance to TLV. Pretty sure in normal times it would not have cleared, I'd be at end of line.
He deducted too many miles, but pretty sure I can get those back as it's documented in the chat.

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: July 15, 2021, 11:47:09 AM »
It worked for me. Waitlisted and cleared days in advance to TLV. Pretty sure in normal times it would not have cleared, I'd be at end of line.
He deducted too many miles, but pretty sure I can get those back as it's documented in the chat.
Wow that's major, how far down we're you on the wait list, any status?

Offline shmooz

• View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: July 15, 2021, 02:46:24 PM »
Wow that's major, how far down we're you on the wait list, any status?

Don't know how far down, passenger has no status

Offline mike

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: October 31, 2021, 11:17:21 AM »
can i do Plan B to be confirmed in premium economy and waitlisted in Business or i need to confirmed in standard economy? 

Offline danfan5773

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: November 11, 2021, 08:46:54 PM »
I used to do plan b on flights from TLV-EWR were the price for economy was saver award 44K and the business award price was 180K u put in a request for the saver award price of 78K and sometimes it worked...

Right now I only see availability for business class 273K can i still put in a request for plan b by booking the economy which shows available for 44K and waitlist the business by paying the saver award price for business? and what is the business saver award price now?

Offline nafnaf12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: November 12, 2021, 02:36:05 AM »
I used to do plan b on flights from TLV-EWR were the price for economy was saver award 44K and the business award price was 180K u put in a request for the saver award price of 78K and sometimes it worked...

Right now I only see availability for business class 273K can i still put in a request for plan b by booking the economy which shows available for 44K and waitlist the business by paying the saver award price for business? and what is the business saver award price now?
yes
same 78 or 75 if done in advance
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline danfan5773

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: November 15, 2021, 10:51:13 PM »
so tried doing Plan B for my brother (using 1k Acct so I get knowledgeable rep) yesterday, the first rep came on after 25 min wait.. she told me that u can't do something like that she has never heard of if taking 75k miles on economy save award to get a business seat if it doesn't sell.., I ask her to check in with a supervisor she came back that u could do it but only for premier members and as the traveler isn't a premier  it cant be done so I knew this was BS I told here that actually the traveler tried doing a day before and they were willing to do it so I am wondering if this is new policy maybe she can check with different supervisor and she came back that I am right and she is going to do it for me, and as she had no clue what she was doing she took my word and only deducted 75k not 78k... and it was set up correctly I saw the I waitlisted everything that needs to be done.. 8 hours later and he needs to travel from TLV to EWR on flight 85 and there were 2 seats open in business I coach him he needs to get a gate agent to put him as a PR1 so he should be the first to get an upgrade.. but at the airport once he went to ask the agent  she threw him off the list and didn't want to help him i actually tried to call in the 1K desk and ask if they can help they explained they can't put him back on the list as he isn't waiting for an upgrade, but they assured me it is listed on his ticket that he has a business class award and they even added noted so he can ask gate agents to look it up..,  but they told me even though it is listed he is not the first on the list there are members that are eligible before him and that as there is only 4 seats open (another 2 seats opened while checking in) it doesn't look like he will be upgraded he was # 8 on the list...

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: November 16, 2021, 08:37:39 PM »
so tried doing Plan B for my brother (using 1k Acct so I get knowledgeable rep) yesterday, the first rep came on after 25 min wait.. she told me that u can't do something like that she has never heard of if taking 75k miles on economy save award to get a business seat if it doesn't sell.., I ask her to check in with a supervisor she came back that u could do it but only for premier members and as the traveler isn't a premier  it cant be done so I knew this was BS I told here that actually the traveler tried doing a day before and they were willing to do it so I am wondering if this is new policy maybe she can check with different supervisor and she came back that I am right and she is going to do it for me, and as she had no clue what she was doing she took my word and only deducted 75k not 78k... and it was set up correctly I saw the I waitlisted everything that needs to be done.. 8 hours later and he needs to travel from TLV to EWR on flight 85 and there were 2 seats open in business I coach him he needs to get a gate agent to put him as a PR1 so he should be the first to get an upgrade.. but at the airport once he went to ask the agent  she threw him off the list and didn't want to help him i actually tried to call in the 1K desk and ask if they can help they explained they can't put him back on the list as he isn't waiting for an upgrade, but they assured me it is listed on his ticket that he has a business class award and they even added noted so he can ask gate agents to look it up..,  but they told me even though it is listed he is not the first on the list there are members that are eligible before him and that as there is only 4 seats open (another 2 seats opened while checking in) it doesn't look like he will be upgraded he was # 8 on the list...
Oiy

Never ask the gate agents anything if your on the list, they're clueless about plan b & will kick you off the list.

Same thing happened to me

Offline justmeha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: November 18, 2021, 01:13:09 PM »
Oiy

Never ask the gate agents anything if your on the list, they're clueless about plan b & will kick you off the list.

Same thing happened to me
so who do you ask?

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: November 18, 2021, 01:56:16 PM »
so who do you ask?
You don't. At that point sitting at the gate you either clear or they kick you off the list.

Talking to gate agents just made things worse IME

Offline JOJO2020

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: January 23, 2022, 03:20:38 PM »
Anyone have any luck lately? The past 2 years I have done plan B successfully but last week I tried multiple times, no luck at all. Wondering if anyone was able to set it up recently.

Offline mmslomo

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: February 06, 2022, 10:58:38 PM »
i have plan b setup for feb 8th going to tlv im on stand by list but im #21 on list any ideas what i should do? should i go down to airport or do i have to go within 24hours of flight?

Offline Aerial Dag

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: February 10, 2022, 08:10:08 PM »
i have plan b setup for feb 8th going to tlv im on stand by list but im #21 on list any ideas what i should do? should i go down to airport or do i have to go within 24hours of flight?
What did you end up doing?

Offline normathej

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: May 04, 2022, 06:43:13 PM »
Does Plan B work anymore, or is there pretty much no such thing as Business Saver space ever?  Considering a booking beginning on January but wondering if I should just book J with a stopover on another airline…

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2537 on: June 16, 2022, 03:06:20 PM »
Link for the write up explaining Plan G?
A: United.com
B: Waitlist while paying business saver rate
C: Booked on other airlines and fails to ticket
D: Schedule change planning
E: Weather waiver planning
F: Expanded Plat/1K IN space
G: Expanded GS PZ space or GS exception space
Cash: Hopefully with Chase or AMEX Hybrid points.
Anything else? :)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline zagguru

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: June 16, 2022, 03:42:43 PM »

Sounds like Plan G is really a Plan B for you. Why would you go thru B-F if you have exception space?

Offline mimb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, United, Delta, AMEX, CHASE UR, SPG
« Reply #2539 on: June 16, 2022, 07:56:46 PM »

Not directly related to United but would Plan D work using AA miles to book Qsuites to Maldives? Dates I want are not available but was thinking of booking a far out date and hoping for a schedule change.