Topic Wiki

All you need to know:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/38212

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/types.aspx
Click on "United air travel award rules:"
"You may redeem miles for travel in United Global FirstSM, United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst® , even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. For example, a Saver United First award must be confirmed in Saver United Economy to be eligible for waitlisting. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Reservations office"

« Last edited by HolyNyc on February 02, 2015, 08:51:46 AM »

Author Topic: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability  (Read 507606 times)

Offline yare

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability
« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2013, 12:16:21 PM »
So how do I search miles&more award availability? MIER613
stop killing this thread... go elsewhere for m&m talk

Offline gevaldig

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2013, 12:28:26 PM »
Sorry Yare, didn't mean to offend u, sorry, I was just trying to get some help, sorry if it bothered you

Offline MEIR613

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2013, 12:32:52 PM »
So how do I search miles&more award availability? MEIR613
FTFY.

Make an account.

Continue discussion over here.

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=2288.555

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 21, 2013, 01:02:36 PM »
i got an email from united 24 hours before my flight that they haven't been able to confirm the upgrade but they're putting me on the ug standby list...   is there still a reason to go to the airport?
not sure about ur sit. But I've bin following united lately and if u see that some seats are still not sold out they open it even 3 hours before the flight. So was with the 11:45 am flight this morning TLV-EWR  9:45 am they opened the biz awards....
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 21, 2013, 01:04:38 PM »
With economy awards I've bin following the past week, and just 3 hours before the flight it always opened up....

Offline SearchGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2013, 10:50:44 PM »
I requested an upgrade with a 'global premier upgrade' and they told me that i am on the wait list and there is still 3 available seats in this cabin, i checked for a paid business class ticket and there is no availability, my flight is tomorrow 4:10, how are the chances for the upgrade to go through?

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2013, 11:33:29 PM »
I requested an upgrade with a 'global premier upgrade' and they told me that i am on the wait list and there is still 3 available seats in this cabin, i checked for a paid business class ticket and there is no availability, my flight is tomorrow 4:10, how are the chances for the upgrade to go through?
ive seeing lots of times that u can't buy a biz. Ticket even with money, and sometime before the flight they are opening it op for saver awards.... Go figure.... Btw it was open today for f couple of hours the 4:10 pm flight for biz. Saver award.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2013, 11:35:08 PM »
U should always check availability on united, on there seat map , not if its available for purchase.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2013, 11:37:05 PM »
U should always check availability on united, on there seat map , not if its available for purchase.
Seat maps are not an indicator of much.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2013, 11:39:52 PM »
Business is booked to 50. Barring a cancellation you odds are very slim.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 23, 2013, 11:41:51 PM »
BTW there's a weird flight tomorrow, United 1756 leaving EWR at 6am and arriving at 11:25pm with tons of open seats in J and Y in case you want that upgrade to go through.

Anyone know what the deal is with it?
Doesn't show up in an award search, only for a paid search.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 23, 2013, 11:50:11 PM »
Anyone know what the deal is with it?
Doesn't show up in an award search, only for a paid search.
It's a replacement flight for the cancelled EWR-TLV flight tonight.

If you want to fly business it's definitely the way to go, pretty much a sure thing!

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 23, 2013, 11:56:21 PM »
Seat maps are not an indicator of much.
maybe not accurate 100 percent but more then if its available for purchase for sure. (On Delta seat map sir Dan ur 100 percent right) for example it was not available for tomorrow biz. 10:45 pm EWR-TLV for $ or standard award and about a hour ago it opened up, I grabbed it for my brother, and now it's closed again, I was just keeping on refreshing the page till it became available, my hopes that it will open up was because the SEAT MAP had some seats on biz. Available even it was not available for revenue or even standard award. I wouldn't argue with you sir, but I'm following United for the past few week.... Almost every flight EWR-TLV

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2013, 12:00:22 AM »
maybe not accurate 100 percent but more then if its available for purchase for sure. (On Delta seat map sir Dan ur 100 percent right) for example it was not available for tomorrow biz. 10:45 pm EWR-TLV for $ or standard award and about a hour ago it opened up, I grabbed it for my brother, and now it's closed again, I was just keeping on refreshing the page till it became available, my hopes that it will open up was because the SEAT MAP had some seats on biz. Available even it was not available for revenue or even standard award. I wouldn't argue with you sir, but I'm following United for the past few week.... Almost every flight EWR-TLV
That happens because people cancel their business ticket (which happens because there are typically no penalties).
I've seen totally open seat maps and it's just people or groups that didn't select a seat.

If United had a seat to sell then they would be selling it for $$$$ in the J bucket.  When someone cancels their ticket it goes right back into inventory and when that happens with x hours of a flight, United opens it for saver awards so that it doesn't go to waste.

I wouldn't recommend that as a strategy, I'd hate to hear from people losing their mileage accounts over something stupid like that.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2013, 12:02:31 AM »
The canceled flight tonight killed most availability on biz. class for tomorrow 4:10 pm flight. On the seat map it was 13 availability's until sometime after the tonight flight was canceled.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2013, 12:24:00 AM »
now open for saver award.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2013, 12:32:20 AM »
now open for saver award.
Notice how there are now 5 seats in J open on the map for that flight when it was showing 3 before?

And how the fare bucket is now J2? That's because 2 people just cancelled their J tickets. And it's close enough to the flight that UAs revenue dept doesn't think they're going to sell them-so they're open for saver awards.

But those 3 open seats have nothing to do with availability-those are sold seats that simply haven't been assigned until they checkin. If they were actually open seats then it would be J5 right now and not J2.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2013, 12:35:59 AM »
That happens because people cancel their business ticket (which happens because there are typically no penalties).
I've seen totally open seat maps and it's just people or groups that didn't select a seat.

If United had a seat to sell then they would be selling it for $$$$ in the J bucket.  When someone cancels their ticket it goes right back into inventory and when that happens with x hours of a flight, United opens it for saver awards so that it doesn't go to waste.

I wouldn't recommend that as a strategy, I'd hate to hear from people losing their mileage accounts over something stupid like that.
what strategy do u mean? buying a J ticket, and cancel the day of the flight, hoping it should open up for saver award? if u mean this then this is the answer, someone asked this ? in a thread a few days ago and no one answered.... though doinf it with 2 different names shouldnt be a problem....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2013, 12:37:39 AM »
though doinf it with 2 different names shouldnt be a problem....
They're far more sophisticated then that. Don't come crying when you're blacklisted.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2013, 12:41:45 AM »
Notice how there are now 5 seats in J open on the map for that flight when it was showing 3 before?

And how the fare bucket is now J2? That's because 2 people just cancelled their J tickets. And it's close enough to the flight that UAs revenue dept doesn't think they're going to sell them-so they're open for saver awards.

But those 3 open seats have nothing to do with availability-those are sold seats that simply haven't been assigned until they checkin. If they were actually open seats then it would be J5 right now and not J2.
i hear what ur saying, but in my opinion its not SO simple..... im doing this sigye the past few weeks, and made a few tickets for ppl..... bh, thanks dan. after all everything is ur credit...