Topic Wiki

All you need to know:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/38212

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/types.aspx
Click on "United air travel award rules:"
"You may redeem miles for travel in United Global FirstSM, United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst® , even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. For example, a Saver United First award must be confirmed in Saver United Economy to be eligible for waitlisting. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Reservations office"

« Last edited by HolyNyc on February 02, 2015, 08:51:46 AM »

Author Topic: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability  (Read 507456 times)

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability
« Reply #440 on: February 06, 2014, 03:38:07 PM »
Ummmm LAX-JFK, I would. I would rather spend 35K LH Miles or 40K SQ miles, but f it's not availible now ill have to use UA miles and do plan B.
I might consider it for a redeye, but otherwise I don't care that much.

Offline jaywhy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 06, 2014, 03:56:56 PM »
Has anyone had success changing a Plan B itin online before it clears?
I have one booked but UA.com is not pulling up results.

Offline MEIR613

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 06, 2014, 04:09:06 PM »
Ummmm LAX-JFK, I would. I would rather spend 35K LH Miles or 40K SQ miles, but f it's not availible now ill have to use UA miles and do plan B.
If your a little flexible on times, almost always a UA flight will open up, but will need to book via SQ and not LH.

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 06, 2014, 04:57:39 PM »
If your a little flexible on times, almost always a UA flight will open up, but will need to book via SQ and not LH.
Yeah i've done that before but they became horrible with opening the last minute....

I ended up booking AA first, it looks awesome!
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline MoGro17

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 06, 2014, 05:41:48 PM »
Yeah i've done that before but they became horrible with opening the last minute....

I ended up booking AA first, it looks awesome!
I have flown close to 100 flights in my life and I have yet to encounter a stewardess who looked like that.
Maybe I'm flying the wrong airlines...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #445 on: February 06, 2014, 05:53:26 PM »
I have flown close to 100 flights in my life and I have yet to encounter a stewardess who looked like that.
Maybe I'm flying the wrong airlines...

Fly SQ.

Otherwise:
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sillypainter

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 06, 2014, 05:56:39 PM »
Fly SQ.

Otherwise:

I respectively disagree. I think SQ stewardess (flight attendants) are very jolly and childy, but EXCELLENT. Rather make it for LH F stewardess, more professional, older, more experienced.

I never flew SQ in suites, so I am not sure, but I assume they are all fired when they hit 30...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #447 on: February 06, 2014, 06:00:28 PM »
I respectively disagree. I think SQ stewardess (flight attendants) are very jolly and childy, but EXCELLENT. Rather make it for LH F stewardess, more professional, older, more experienced.
No idea what you're disagreeing with.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline MoGro17

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 07, 2014, 10:27:13 AM »
No idea what you're disagreeing with.
@dan
I think sillypainter missed the point of my joke.  ;) ;) ;)

I never flew SQ in suites, so I am not sure, but I assume they are all fired when they hit 30...

Offline MoGro17

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 07, 2014, 10:28:31 AM »
Hey Dan! between the two of us we have over 32,900 posts!!
 ;D

Offline bades

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #450 on: February 10, 2014, 12:42:38 PM »
whats a better option Plan B or using  GPU, united informed me that flight is available to get confirmed with a GPU or miles but still waitlisted for Plan B , and they said plan B probably Will NOT clear.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 10, 2014, 02:09:32 PM »
When is the flight? They have no idea if plan B will clear or not, these reps are clueless, they make me sooo nervuse. Aderabe.. Usually when there is R availability it means that the cabin is not full... Though why not use the GPU and you're confirmed?..

Offline bades

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 10, 2014, 02:15:29 PM »
only confirmed one way.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 10, 2014, 02:17:23 PM »
only confirmed one way.
So confirm one way and do plan B for the other?

Offline Million Miler

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 12, 2014, 08:41:24 AM »
Does anyone have experience with plan b going from tlv to ewr?  Do the Israeli Ua reps know how to put the customer in PR1 status

Has anyone had success on tlv-ewr?? 

Offline arieldahan

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 18, 2014, 04:43:21 PM »
Has anyone had success on tlv-ewr??

Yes,

I just returned from a plan "B" leaving from EWR. when I got to the airport literally no one knew what I was talking about. when I checked in, they made me pay for my second bag and my waitlist was cancelled as I was not eligible to be upgraded for free. Everyone I went to (five separate tries at the check in gate on both levels) said that I had an economy seat. They said to take it up with the people at the gate to see what they could do. When got to the gate, it was closed as it only opens right before the flight due to the extra security for TLV flights. Not wanting to wait until the last minute, I headed towards the lounge as I thought there might be someone who could help me there. On my way, I noticed a United help desk so I tried that first. I explained to them that there's been some mix up- I am supposed to be flying business! I told them that my "travel agent" said to look up ggonestandby and the line numbers, and that I needed PR1 status. He looked at me funny, because I was quoting the system to him, but he checked and he was still not sure. So he called the help desk. The help desk called the rewards desk which confirmed I paid for a business seat. they then issues me the upgrade status. ( there was one person ahead of me. I'm not sure why, but it didn't matter as there was enough room for all the upgraders.) he also said I can go online to request a refund for the extra baggage fee ( I have yet to hear back from them...). All in all, it took twenty minutes at the help desk to get it sorted out.

When I got to the gate they called my name and told me I got the upgrade, but that I was only getting Economy Kosher food because that is what they ordered for me.

My only other complaint, which is unrelated to plan "B", is about my return, which was with a stop over in Austria. United never told them to get me a kosher meal. I slept anyway so it wasn't totally a bad trip . Besides, like a good Jew, I bought Tzeidah LaDerech, just in case.   

When 

Offline sillypainter

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 18, 2014, 04:47:56 PM »
Yes,

I just returned from a plan "B" leaving from EWR. when I got to the airport literally no one knew what I was talking about. when I checked in, they made me pay for my second bag and my waitlist was cancelled as I was not eligible to be upgraded for free. Everyone I went to (five separate tries at the check in gate on both levels) said that I had an economy seat. They said to take it up with the people at the gate to see what they could do. When got to the gate, it was closed as it only opens right before the flight due to the extra security for TLV flights. Not wanting to wait until the last minute, I headed towards the lounge as I thought there might be someone who could help me there. On my way, I noticed a United help desk so I tried that first. I explained to them that there's been some mix up- I am supposed to be flying business! I told them that my "travel agent" said to look up ggonestandby and the line numbers, and that I needed PR1 status. He looked at me funny, because I was quoting the system to him, but he checked and he was still not sure. So he called the help desk. The help desk called the rewards desk which confirmed I paid for a business seat. they then issues me the upgrade status. ( there was one person ahead of me. I'm not sure why, but it didn't matter as there was enough room for all the upgraders.) he also said I can go online to request a refund for the extra baggage fee ( I have yet to hear back from them...). All in all, it took twenty minutes at the help desk to get it sorted out.

When I got to the gate they called my name and told me I got the upgrade, but that I was only getting Economy Kosher food because that is what they ordered for me.

My only other complaint, which is unrelated to plan "B", is about my return, which was with a stop over in Austria. United never told them to get me a kosher meal. I slept anyway so it wasn't totally a bad trip . Besides, like a good Jew, I bought Tzeidah LaDerech, just in case.   

When

Thanks for the update. As a sidenote, United never transfers over food requests unlike Aeroplan that does.

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #457 on: February 18, 2014, 06:59:03 PM »
Thanks for the update. As a sidenote, United never transfers over food requests unlike Aeroplan that does.

+1

It's a different GDS system.

Offline miles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Air Canada, UA PLT, ANA, Delta Platinum, AA, BA, Aerosvit, A/A by Chase closed all accounts
« Reply #458 on: February 18, 2014, 10:08:52 PM »
my O request changed to R does it mean its over

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 18, 2014, 10:10:43 PM »
my O request changed to R does it mean its over
If it was O you were confirmed already; I means waitlist. If it's R just call them and see if the can confirm you. It worked for me.