Author Topic: IKC Reliable?  (Read 45340 times)

Offline kangaroo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
IKC Reliable?
« on: August 12, 2012, 08:56:47 PM »
I was on my way to the mountains and stopped off at the Valero on the NJ17. They have a RedMango franchise under the hashgacha of Rabbi Zev Schwarcz from International Kosher Council, http://www.ikckosher.com/

I have never heard of him, was wondering if anyone here did and if they know it is a good hechsher. I called his number and it is a google voice number which is odd.

Thank you.

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: IKC Reliable?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 11:24:02 PM »
I was on my way to the mountains and stopped off at the Valero on the NJ17. They have a RedMango franchise under the hashgacha of Rabbi Zev Schwarcz from International Kosher Council, http://www.ikckosher.com/

I have never heard of him, was wondering if anyone here did and if they know it is a good hechsher. I called his number and it is a google voice number which is odd.

Thank you.
IDK if this will answer your q., but (IIRC) most (if not all) of the eateries he certifies are open on Shabbos!

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 11:36:39 PM »
IDK if this will answer your q., but (IIRC) most (if not all) of the eateries he certifies are open on Shabbos!

Probably not going to answer it for most people, it's a complicated issue. For example, the Dunkin Donuts in 5T is under the Vaad. But the Vaad in Queens won't give a hechsher to places that are open on Shabbos. In fact, there's a Red Mango in Queens under Rabbi Asher Shechter's hashgacha, and I think he basically makes his living on places that the Vaad won't give a hechsher to because of Shabbos.

Offline LeeW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 12:18:48 PM »
How good of a hechsher do you need for an all natural frozen yogurt place? You obviously are not specific in eating only cholov-yisroel. In which case, as long as there is minimal supervision of the place that should suffice. I can't think of anything that can happen in a frozen yogurt place that requires a real hechsher. They have no meat there, so there's np problem of basar and chalav.

Offline kangaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 04:15:58 PM »
How good of a hechsher do you need for an all natural frozen yogurt place? You obviously are not specific in eating only cholov-yisroel. In which case, as long as there is minimal supervision of the place that should suffice. I can't think of anything that can happen in a frozen yogurt place that requires a real hechsher. They have no meat there, so there's np problem of basar and chalav.

why cant  the workers eat there lunch there? besides about 6 feet away are the roasting hot dogs and other meat products that the gas station sells.

Offline LeeW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 04:44:49 PM »
why cant  the workers eat there lunch there? besides about 6 feet away are the roasting hot dogs and other meat products that the gas station sells.

I'll be honest, I have no idea about the particulars of that specific RedMango. I was just assuming that a national franchise would not allow any employees to just eat their own lunches at the counter where it could get into their product. Any national franchise cares about its reputation and product. As far as the hit dogs six feet away, what are you trying to say? How does that impact the kashrus of the frozen yogurt?

Offline kangaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »
I'll be honest, I have no idea about the particulars of that specific RedMango. I was just assuming that a national franchise would not allow any employees to just eat their own lunches at the counter where it could get into their product. Any national franchise cares about its reputation and product. As far as the hit dogs six feet away, what are you trying to say? How does that impact the kashrus of the frozen yogurt?

there is meat in the immediate vicinity.........think about an ice cream store with a good hechsher, one of the employees brings a meat lunch in and sits at the table at the far far end of the store.......does the rav hamachshar care? i believe he would.

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 07:36:28 PM »
My ortho rabbi said it is ok. in any event, your fear of someone eating meat nearby and dropping it into the food doesnt apppear to be a true halachic concern, as it would make the product worse and the guy would get in trouble.  i assume the rabbis are aware of this possibility.

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 11:39:03 PM »
Anyone have any current info. I've had Papabubble candy at a Bar Mitzva (they hired them and had their own mashgiach) and it was fantastic. They have a retail store under the IKC and I would love to get some.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 03:00:44 AM »
My ortho rabbi said it is ok. in any event, your fear of someone eating meat nearby and dropping it into the food doesnt apppear to be a true halachic concern, as it would make the product worse and the guy would get in trouble.  i assume the rabbis are aware of this possibility.
Also might not treif up the food anyway
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline jensays

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 10:01:28 AM »
My Rav says it is not reliable.  Just recently a veggie chinese place opened in Queens and there are rave reviews about the food.  But it's IKC, as is a 16 Handles Frozen Yogurt place in the Queens Mall (that used to be under Rabbi Mehlman).  As far as frozen yogurt places, aside from the concern about employees eating their lunch in the same area, there is also the issue of toppings.  For example, the Red Mango in Rego Park will tell you the are kosher because the yogurt packages themselves have a hechsher.  However, they do use non-kosher toppings and who's keeping track that the kosher M&M's aren't getting mixed in with the non-kosher whatever.  Plus, once the package is openned, the certification is no longer valid in an establishment that is not kosher itself.

BTW, R' Schector no longer gives his hechsher to the Red Mango referred to above.

Offline Palm5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 08:02:17 PM »
I know it’s old but I’m in PHL now and many restaurants have this certification. Has anything changed? Is it reliable? You can PM me as well if not suitable to post publicly. Thanks?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 08:03:46 PM »
Unreliable.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 09:00:18 PM »
IKC aside, main problem with a froyo place is the workers might pick up treyf toppings by mistake. Think marshmallows and such.

Offline Palm5

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 09:11:08 PM »
Was looking at more of a vegan place

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 09:16:56 PM »
Was looking at more of a vegan place

Listen to this. Be interviews head of ikc 37 minutes in

https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-qtvux-7de3a0

I would not eat anything he certifies based on this
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 09:27:53 PM by ushdadude »

Offline JuryDuty

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2019, 08:33:34 PM »
There's a place heyhummus in Philly under the ikc but has a mashgiahc temidi and apparently is glatt. Anyone know about this?
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline G11600

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2019, 03:39:30 PM »
There's a place heyhummus in Philly under the ikc but has a mashgiahc temidi and apparently is glatt. Anyone know about this?
I know that their hummus + chicken is good :)

Offline TheAsh

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2022, 01:01:39 AM »
He  now certified the infamous 2nd Ave Deli, which uses Hebrew National, and is owned famously by a Jew, making it very hard to rely on Shtar Mechira. That should let you know his standards

Though unlike Cupk (Rabbi Israel Mayer Steinberg, the previous hechsher), he does seem to have some mashgichim, so it is an upgrade for the restaurant.
Check out @JewishAlternativeMusic2 on Telegram.