Author Topic: Canadian CC's and transfer of credit  (Read 3021 times)

Offline tageed-lee

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 73
    • View Profile
Canadian CC's and transfer of credit
« on: September 04, 2012, 05:57:53 PM »
Hey guys i need some help, im a duel citizen (canada,usa) so that gives me 2 credit scores (my american and my canadian). I have been having trouble getting accepted to Amex in the usa but spoke to a rep from amex and he told me that if i had a canadian amex i could do a transfer of cards from canadian to usa ( he had a name for that). So my question is which amex card makes sense to open ( no annual fee or atleast 1st year free, and best opening bonus). Also if anyone knows any info regarding if a canadian credit score can effect an american score somehow? (ie. an excellent score in canada can that effect the way usa credit bureaus look at me? Like some sort of credit transfer??). Any info or experience with this area please post. Thanks!!

Offline robi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian CC's and transfer of credit
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:59:10 PM »
Hey guys i need some help, im a duel citizen (canada,usa) so that gives me 2 credit scores (my american and my canadian). I have been having trouble getting accepted to Amex in the usa but spoke to a rep from amex and he told me that if i had a canadian amex i could do a transfer of cards from canadian to usa ( he had a name for that). So my question is which amex card makes sense to open ( no annual fee or atleast 1st year free, and best opening bonus). Also if anyone knows any info regarding if a canadian credit score can effect an american score somehow? (ie. an excellent score in canada can that effect the way usa credit bureaus look at me? Like some sort of credit transfer??). Any info or experience with this area please post. Thanks!!
I did that too. Your accounts have to be open in Canada for at least 12 months and be in good standing. If you qualify, they will let you open any Amex card, but over the phone they weren't willing to give me the 50k Mercedes Benz plat bonus, so they said I can apply online, get denied, take down the application number and push it thru. That's what I did, then downgraded to a 25$ zync card. And I believe your Canadian credit score has absolutely nothing to do with your American, and vice versa
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I'm not"

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 09:45:15 PM »
I can refer you to canadian gold rewards for 20k points after $500 spend. Pm me.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline JEWDA

• View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 12:26:38 PM »
I did that too. Your accounts have to be open in Canada for at least 12 months and be in good standing. If you qualify, they will let you open any Amex card, but over the phone they weren't willing to give me the 50k Mercedes Benz plat bonus, so they said I can apply online, get denied, take down the application number and push it thru. That's what I did, then downgraded to a 25$ zync card. And I believe your Canadian credit score has absolutely nothing to do with your American, and vice versa
+1
I did the same, I think its called Global Transfer, the only thing is that when they wouldnt give the full bonus on the spg card only 10k. Also your report in canada has nothing to do with it, in my case I had a 5k limit there so they gave me 5k here too. They did pull my report from TU a month later. Btw 2 months later I had a very high score.

Offline andrew

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 03:35:39 PM »
I can refer you to canadian gold rewards for 20k points after $500 spend. Pm me.
i think he's inquiring about US credit cards, i could refer you to 16,000 Bonus Starpoints when you charge $1,000 in purchases to the Card in the first 3 months if im wrong and your looking for a canadian card. pm me

Offline dans fan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 12:26:48 AM »
+1
I did the same, I think its called Global Transfer,
can this be done to transfer a cl from u.s. card to a canadian card? what department do you talk to about this?

Offline robi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 12:42:34 AM »
can this be done to transfer a cl from u.s. card to a canadian card? what department do you talk to about this?
yes. on the top of americanexpress.com click change country, you'll see an option 'moving abroad?'. you can even do the USA-CAN card transfer online

Offline tageed-lee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 12:27:04 PM »
Thank you Jewda! Ive been approved for a canadian amex gold charge card with a 20k bonus for spending 500 in 3 months!! Now to figure out how to transfer to usa card before the 12 months:.......

Offline andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 04:30:48 PM »
you wont need to because you'll have i think 60 days after the fee posts to get refunded the yearly fee.

why dont you start accumulating cdn cards at the same time, the spg 16k sign up bonus is pretty good for a canadian card.
i could send you a link.

Offline tageed-lee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 05:03:54 PM »
The only reason i chose the gold card was cuz it seems to be the only canadian card w/o an annual fee. ( correct me if im wrong). Also what i meant was that now i want to figure out how i could switch it to a usa card asap.... In other words i want a usa amex and i think this will be how i get one asap.... if anyone has any ideas.... Eg. What to say to get it transferred w/o waiting a 12 month period which they say u need to wait. Thanks in advance!

Offline andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 05:16:16 PM »
yes you made a wise choice but more the merrrier!

Offline dans fan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 01:04:59 AM »
yes. on the top of americanexpress.com click change country, you'll see an option 'moving abroad?'. you can even do the USA-CAN card transfer online
doing this will build credit with can cr or is it more like same old us account on us report with a can address?

Offline robi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 02:18:13 AM »
Yes, it will build your Canadian credit. That's the point of the program

Offline andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 08:31:43 AM »
the point of the program is "moving abroad", i dont think us credit and cdn credit are linked, so one wont help the other grow.

Offline robi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 10:12:15 AM »
the point of the program is "moving abroad", i dont think us credit and cdn credit are linked, so one wont help the other grow.
they don't link your US and Canadian credit reports, it builds your credit in Canada from scratch with the card. Our at least that's what happened when I moved to the USA

Offline JEWDA

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 10:38:37 AM »
they don't link your US and Canadian credit reports, it builds your credit in Canada from scratch with the card. Our at least that's what happened when I moved to the USA
I dont think he was disagreeing with you, he was just saying that that's not the whole point of 'moving abroad'.

However it does give you a huge head start to build your credit.

Offline dans fan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 04:49:29 PM »
I dont think he was disagreeing with you, he was just saying that that's not the whole point of 'moving abroad'.

However it does give you a huge head start to build your credit.
i have a terrible credit in canada with amex in canada .i would like to move an acc from here to there to help out canadian credit,  do you think u.s. amex would find out about old canadian amex acc ( charge off)?

Offline JEWDA

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 05:21:34 PM »
i have a terrible credit in canada with amex in canada .i would like to move an acc from here to there to help out canadian credit,  do you think u.s. amex would find out about old canadian amex acc ( charge off)?
No they won't IMO

Offline JEWDA

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 03:44:43 PM »
Still available.

Offline dans fan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 10:28:59 PM »
Still available.
i think thats a repost :P