Author Topic: Parking in NYC for 7 cents  (Read 7476 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Parking in NYC for 7 cents
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 10:45:17 PM »
Doubt that'll work. Even if this person ACTUALLY paid the meter, the fact that it was not visible to the officer in the location it's required to be means she'll lose her appeal.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline WhyAich

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Parking in NYC for 7 cents
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 12:03:21 AM »
Doubt that'll work. Even if this person ACTUALLY paid the meter, the fact that it was not visible to the officer in the location it's required to be means she'll lose her appeal.

Huh??? If a police officer missed a paper it's his negligence! If an officer makes a mistake they take the blame. If he calls your car a Chevy and its not, you get off. That how it works.

What happens if when the door closed, the paper flew down by accident???

And btw she's already 1 for 1. Now going for 2 for 2 :)
For great Airfare deals - PLEASE contact me via PM or email: whyaich@gmail.com

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 12:44:08 PM »
Huh??? If a police officer missed a paper it's his negligence! If an officer makes a mistake they take the blame. If he calls your car a Chevy and its not, you get off. That how it works.

No, that's not how it works.

If it's the officer's word against yours (which it is in this case), you lose. Period.

She should consider herself very lucky that she won one of them.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 12:47:15 PM »
No, that's not how it works.

If it's the officer's word against yours (which it is in this case), you lose. Period.

She should consider herself very lucky that she won one of them.

Even though you have a receipt showing you paid the munimeter? Why?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 12:51:44 PM »
Even though you have a receipt showing you paid the munimeter? Why?

Because that simply means it wasn't in the place it was legally required to be.

A parking officer is not required to conduct a full search of your car prior to issuing you a ticket.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 12:54:43 PM »
Because that simply means it wasn't in the place it was legally required to be.

A parking officer is not required to conduct a full search of your car prior to issuing you a ticket.

1. But it isn't just your word against his, since you're proving you had the receipt, why would you intentionally not display it if you already paid for it?
2. Isn't the fine to discourage people who abuse the metered parking and don't pay? If I'm paid (and can prove it with the receipt) why shouldn't I get my ticket waived?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 12:57:23 PM »
1) "Place receipt on driver’s side dashboard with printed side facing up" Source.

It's just as much your responsibility to place it in the above-place as it is for you to purchase your ticket in the first place. I'd bet dollar to donuts that the ticket issued says receipt was "not displayed" or "not visible" not that it was "not purchased." If it ain't there, tough noogies.

2) See above.

Offline Smokey Joe Robinson

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 10:41:11 PM »
1) "Place receipt on driver’s side dashboard with printed side facing up" Source.

It's just as much your responsibility to place it in the above-place as it is for you to purchase your ticket in the first place. I'd bet dollar to donuts that the ticket issued says receipt was "not displayed" or "not visible" not that it was "not purchased." If it ain't there, tough noogies.

2) See above.

NYCs parking enforcement program is far from perfect. Im sure they look the other way as long as you send the ticket in. Perhaps theres some sort of limit (I doubt it). Its no secret that there are many dummies walking the streets issuing tickets. The city has to pick their fights I'd say. I'm sure the percentage of people who go looking for another ticket is quite small.

/.02
My Programs Are Listed So That I Don't Forget Them :)

Offline WhyAich

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Parking in NYC for 7 cents
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 10:47:27 PM »
@ AJK you have a receipt, you should win. Maybe the police officer just isn't see it.

I'll keep you guys updated on the 2 for 2
For great Airfare deals - PLEASE contact me via PM or email: whyaich@gmail.com

Offline regalhome

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2012, 10:39:24 AM »
Seems like if you can show a picture in the window your good. http://gothamist.com/2012/06/02/darth_vader_used_the_force_to_get_p.php

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 12:41:25 PM »
NYCs parking enforcement program is far from perfect . . . Its no secret that there are many dummies walking the streets issuing tickets. The city has to pick their fights I'd say. I'm sure the percentage of people who go looking for another ticket is quite small.

All of that might be true. It's still not the law, and if you've ever been to traffic court, that's all they care about.

@ AJK you have a receipt, you should win. Maybe the police officer just isn't see it. 

Says you. However, with all due respect, that doesn't really matter much when the law says the contrary.

Seems like if you can show a picture in the window your good. http://gothamist.com/2012/06/02/darth_vader_used_the_force_to_get_p.php

I'd suspect that has a much higher likelihood of succeeding.

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 01:18:04 PM »
All of that might be true. It's still not the law, and if you've ever been to traffic court, that's all they care about.

Says you. However, with all due respect, that doesn't really matter much when the law says the contrary.

I'd suspect that has a much higher likelihood of succeeding.

Not all traffic court is the same. Parking is often a lot easier to deal with and get dismissed than other types of violations.

Just as an (unrelated) example, NYC laws allow drivers to park at broken meters for up to an hour without getting ticketed. There's even an app that's supposed to help you find broken meters.

My brother goes on tech service calls all day, and he's pulling this shtick where whenever he gets an expired meter ticket (apparently a pretty frequent occurrence), he responds in writing saying the meter was broken and he was there for less than an hour. I don't remember the exact numbers, but he's had better than 50% success rate. And this is despite the fact that the meter usually was not broken at all.

Ethics aside, this just goes to show that they're not always such sticklers on the parking tickets. Obviously there are other times when they can be maddeningly stubborn and strict, but it's definitely not always the case. Basically parking is much more of a YMMV than other traffic tickets.

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 02:01:34 PM »
Not all traffic court is the same. Parking is often a lot easier to deal with and get dismissed than other types of violations.

Just as an (unrelated) example, NYC laws allow drivers to park at broken meters for up to an hour without getting ticketed. There's even an app that's supposed to help you find broken meters.

My brother goes on tech service calls all day, and he's pulling this shtick where whenever he gets an expired meter ticket (apparently a pretty frequent occurrence), he responds in writing saying the meter was broken and he was there for less than an hour. I don't remember the exact numbers, but he's had better than 50% success rate. And this is despite the fact that the meter usually was not broken at all.

Ethics aside, this just goes to show that they're not always such sticklers on the parking tickets. Obviously there are other times when they can be maddeningly stubborn and strict, but it's definitely not always the case. Basically parking is much more of a YMMV than other traffic tickets.

+1,

@AJK, Im discussing parking tickets in NYC. In other areas I'd tend to agree with you.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 02:07:23 PM »

I've been to traffic (i.e. parking) court more times than I care to admit (what? I had to do something to convince myself I was a lawyer while in law school) and I can tell you the broken meters allowance is the exception rather than the rule. In 98% of areas they are precisely "maddeningly stubborn and strict."

@AJK, Im discussing parking tickets in NYC. In other areas I'd tend to agree with you.

What gave you the impression I wasn't discussing NYC?

Offline Shmelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 02:08:37 PM »
1. I've used someone else's munimeter ticket and gotten out of a parking ticket with it.

2. My Freedom statement which closed today had 14 $0.25 purchases on it. Lovin it.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline mek

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 02:11:31 PM »
1. I've used someone else's munimeter ticket and gotten out of a parking ticket with it.

Haha well done! does it have to come from a nearby munimeter?

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 02:49:20 PM »
I got it from the car parked directly behind mine.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2012, 02:53:02 PM »
I've been to traffic (i.e. parking) court more times than I care to admit (what? I had to do something to convince myself I was a lawyer while in law school) and I can tell you the broken meters allowance is the exception rather than the rule. In 98% of areas they are precisely "maddeningly stubborn and strict."

What gave you the impression I wasn't discussing NYC?

Stubborn and strict about what? Pumps, no standing?

I was discussing meters (both muni and regular) specifically.

That is why I presumed you were referring to other areas outside nyc.

As you can see many have been successful (including myself)
with broken meters and other's muni meter ticket.

Offline jack12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 11:06:32 AM »

so you can ask someone parked nearby for their receipt, stick it on your dashboard and you are good. or if you come right when you are getting the ticket, I think you have a 5 minute leeway to buy your receipt - so you can buy it quick, stick it on the dashboard and you should be good. Nice!

Offline Jkhein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 11:30:52 AM »
Maybe you can fight it for a cheaper ticket 
35$ cuz I didn't display my muni ticket on the drivers side