Author Topic: Blackberry Bold  (Read 7730 times)

Offline Smirk

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Blackberry Bold
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 05:19:36 PM »
Its coming out sept. 15th for att

Offline kingsfan33

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 11:53:09 PM »
Its coming out sept. 15th for att

whats your source?
that would be nice since in regards to tmo 3g, its rolling out in LA on 9/16 as per BGR

Offline zh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 12:29:27 PM »
anyone hear of the blackberry thunder. There are rumors that VZW will launch it in September. They haven't said anything yet.

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 07:04:04 PM »
Blackberry bold 15th http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gxnwAlNmP7RnsNa8uJCLOMaeYe_wD92IALL01

the thunder is only for verizon and as far as i know its still in the early stages read this, theyre even denying its existence http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=102970

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 07:37:57 PM »
According to boygeniusreport.com (my favorite blog) at&t will release sometime in September and Rogers in Canada will get already 8/21 (Thursday).
BGR actually wanted to hire me as one of their writers over a year ago. I used to like them until I got a weird vibe regarding how their operation works from the inside- they put a lot of pressure on their writers to come up with stuff even if nothing new is going on, the result is often misquoted or improperly researched headlines. I turned down the job, but I still send them messages when I notice incorrect information being posted. Usually they are nice enough to fix it, but I've grown tired of them.
Anyway, my point is, take what BGR reports with a grain of salt. I've personally found one can trust engadget or gizmodo over BGR if possible.
Now the only question i have is when is tmobile gonna turn on 3g in la? I hear before years end...
Yes, as I blogged (lamented?) about here, T-mobile announced 3G rollout in 27 major US cities by Oct 1st. Pretty sure LA was listed in there.

Also - T-mobile will also be releasing the HTC "Dream" with the brand new Google Android OS coming up really soon. Android is supposed to be awesome...
I've run Android, actually have my current HTC device dual-booting that and WinMo, mostly just for kicks. Its not stable enough to be the primary OS, at least not the build that was made available at the time (If my memory serves correctly, Google claimed the OS to be only 80% complete at the time of the build I have), however its a nice taste of things to come.
It will not, however, be a "blackberry killer" or an "iphone killer". RIM still has the Blackberry Enterprise Server stuff that won't be compatible with Android out of the box, and Corporate types will only be happy using a BB even if other platforms already offer more competitive features (Windows Mobile, LiMo, Symbian, etc). Apple users love the iPhone interface (I don't blame them) despite the akward handicaps Apple has placed on the platform, and while Android offers them more than the iPhone can, its still miles behind in user interface.

Basically, market analysts are predicting that Google will create a whole new category of fans rather than take away significant users from current favorite platforms.

Not sure what I'll do yet... probably gonna get the bold as soon as tmo 3g gets turned on which will likely be after the bold is released on at&t. I will also prob get the android to test out and sell the bold if the androd is really good (but i dont id ever give up bb)

If you love the BB, I doubt Android will be for you. BB is a simple clean-cut messaging platform. If you wanted more options, power and capability, you wouldn't be using BB in the first place. Android, being Linux based, will give you the WORLD on a silver platter, and the ability to do ANYTHING, and perhaps make it prettier than other alternatives, but not make it necessarily easy. Like all open source platforms, you have to really know what you're doing to take full advantage of the advantages.

Just my 2 cents.
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline kingsfan33

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 11:19:59 PM »
thx for that comprehensive overview!

Re: 3G, LA should be turned on on 9/16 and like I said I anticipate to buy a Bold and unlock it for tmo. Price without contract will be steep. Do you have any corporate discounts? if not, will try to sell my curve to help supplement...

Re: the Android vs. Bold:
I've never really used Linux before. I personally never liked windows mobile because i seemed to be limited in the messaging department... On the other hand I'd really like to see a device open up and not be limited to the bb functionality so like I said, maybe I'll play around with it to see what its like... If it really is lacking in the messaging dept like you say then it wont last long, at least for me... I need my BES...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 11:23:58 PM by kingsfan33 »

Offline kingsfan33

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2008, 11:23:05 PM »
btw - as for bgr - i know that not everything they say is 100% accurate but i think most of it is on target and it seems to release the info before anyone else (engadget, etc).
But thats pretty cool that they offered you to be a writer, you must be big into mobile tech...

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 12:47:59 AM »
I know someone who owns an at&t store and she told me that they had a meetin with RIM this past week and they did NOT say when they were releasing the bold, i know i wrote that and showed a link that it is coming out the 15th but dont get to excited just yet

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 01:43:31 PM »
Re: 3G, LA should be turned on on 9/16 and like I said I anticipate to buy a Bold and unlock it for tmo. Price without contract will be steep.
9/16 works since the only concrete info anyone has is that it will be active on or before 10/1, so its possible.
But there is an inherent problem in your plan: T-mobile's 3G won't be compatible with AT&T's!!

The bands that AT&T bought from the FCC auction were no longer available, so T-Mobile had to pick a new, completely unused band (1700mhz) for their spectrum. That means that T-Mobile's 3G is not compatible with anyone's, and will need phones specifically made for them. Sure, you could buy an AT&T Bold, but you'd lose 3G and revert back the Edge, the last thing t-mo and At&T had standard.

This is a big problem, and is going to prove to be an even bigger problem since average consumers such as yourself are not aware of it...

Re: the Android vs. Bold:
I've never really used Linux before. I personally never liked windows mobile because i seemed to be limited in the messaging department...
Then you clearly have never used Windows Mobile with an Exchange Server. Sure, Windows Mobile by itself is just an open platform PDA with basic imap/pop messaging. WM + Exchange Server, however, rivals the best messaging systems available in features, while still offering the functionality of a computing platform.
In other words, an Exchange Server has essentially all the same standard features as BES, and then some. But you or your company have to set one up and configure it, or pay for a hosted exchange service from any number of services (some, like mail2web are free with certain restrictions).
The only reason Blackberry is better is because they give you a turn-key solution already setup with your service plan, with access to a BB server (which you pay for as part of a BB plan, hence why BB plans often cost more than standard data plans like I wrote about here). This means that for newbies or folks who aren't IT-friendly enough to manage or run their own Exchange Server, Blackberry is WAY easier and has what you need out of the box.

On the other hand I'd really like to see a device open up and not be limited to the bb functionality so like I said, maybe I'll play around with it to see what its like... If it really is lacking in the messaging dept like you say then it wont last long, at least for me...

Once again, since its an open source solution based on linux, it won't be "lacking" necessarily. It just won't be as simple as blackberry to get started. As of right now, no one has made an exchange connector for Android like there are for other devices (think of it like Blackberry connect, but not limited to BES), although I've heard of them existing for linux so its just a matter of time.
Windows Mobile already has Exchange Server sync built in if you have access to a server to use, so they're technical ahead of android if you want a versatile platform that supports push/OTA sync/etc. In fact, even the hyped up iPhone 3G now has an exchange connector, although its probably the only thing about that phone that works well for business folks (rolling eyes).

If you're looking for something that just has features that work out of the box and don't require any setup or customization, etc, than Android, Symbian, LiMo, and WM are not for you. Stick with Blackberry, Sidekick, and others that give you their own server bundled with the service plan for worry-free setup and support.

btw - as for bgr - i know that not everything they say is 100% accurate but i think most of it is on target and it seems to release the info before anyone else (engadget, etc).
But thats pretty cool that they offered you to be a writer, you must be big into mobile tech...
Yeah. I'm a part time Mobile-Tech consultant and also write articles for small magazines and newletters, as well as guest post tech blogs. I recently was asked to be webmaster at mopocket.com, and while they aren't anywhere near as big as BGR, its nice little operation that I'm comfortable writing for. This is, after all, not my career choice, but something I get paid to do on the side. :)

Offline kingsfan33

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 01:50:36 PM »
Re: 3G on Bold

WOW. While I did hear a while back that the frequencies for 3G were different with TMO and ATT I completely forgot and didnt realize! This has to change my whole game plan!
So there will be ZERO chance of 3G working if I unlocked the bold for TMO?

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 06:54:18 PM »
maybe in a market where AT&T and T-mobile have roaming agreements, and you would be allowed to use AT&T's towers for those moments. In general, I'd say there's a slim chance you'd get to use 3G with any phone aside from T-mobiles.