Author Topic: BEDBUGS @ 5 star SPG Le Meridien  (Read 17709 times)

Offline mb

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
BEDBUGS @ 5 star SPG Le Meridien
« on: August 14, 2012, 08:37:45 PM »
I awoke tonight in the middle of the night in my Le Meridien hotel room (8,000 points and $150 per night BTW) feeling itchy all over my body. After I turned on the lights, I saw little bugs and even spots of blood in various places throughout the bed - clearly a case of bedbugs.

I called the front desk who immidiately sent someone up with keys for another room and I told them I'm leaving my belongings in the original room (bc I wasn't interested in packing in the middle of the night...) I offered to show the person the bugs, but they seemed to be familiar with the problem, and just said its not necessary.

My question is as follows. At a 5 star Le Meridian hotel where hotel rooms cost $500+/night, what should I get for this?  Tomorrow morning, I'm going to make a big issue to the hotel manager, but what should I ask for? Is asking for SPG platinum realistic? More than that too? I took pictures as proof and they definitely don't want those all over the internet...

Please chime in!  This literally just happened...

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: BEDBUGS @ 5 star SPG Le Meridien
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 08:40:08 PM »
I awoke tonight in the middle of the night in my Le Meridien hotel room (8,000 points and $150 per night BTW) feeling itchy all over my body. After I turned on the lights, I saw little bugs and even spots of blood in various places throughout the bed - clearly a case of bedbugs.

I called the front desk who immidiately sent someone up with keys for another room and I told them I'm leaving my belongings in the original room (bc I wasn't interested in packing in the middle of the night...) I offered to show the person the bugs, but they seemed to be familiar with the problem, and just said its not necessary.

My question is as follows. At a 5 star Le Meridian hotel where hotel rooms cost $500+/night, what should I get for this?  Tomorrow morning, I'm going to make a big issue to the hotel manager, but what should I ask for? Is asking for SPG platinum realistic? More than that too? I took pictures as proof and they definitely don't want those all over the internet...

Please chime in!  This literally just happened...
I've woken up with a bed bug bite but never seen multiple bugs etc.
It sounds like a pretty bad case.
I'd ask for the night free plus more.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline mb

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 08:42:01 PM »
I've woken up with a bed bug bite but never seen multiple bugs etc.
It sounds like a pretty bad case.
I'd ask for the night free plus more.

Night free plus much more is what I'm going for.  The hotel is also part of Leading Hotels of the World...(For now :P)

Offline Finckmyster

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 08:50:36 PM »
Make sure to clean your clothes and suitcase because Bed Bugs have a tendency to travel a lot, You don't want them coming home with you

Also tell the Hotel if you don't take care of me, I will post everything on Trip Adviser, Hopefully that is enough to get you a week free of Hotels!

Offline mb

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 08:52:45 PM »
Make sure to clean your clothes and suitcase because Bed Bugs have a tendency to travel a lot, You don't want them coming home with you

Also tell the Hotel if you don't take care of me, I will post everything on Trip Adviser, Hopefully that is enough to get you a week free of Hotels!

Yes good point. I've actually had bedbugs before so I'm familiar...I should probably ask them for money towards my massive cleaning bill (I've been travelling for 2 weeks so we have a lot of clothes...)

Offline MnM1130

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 08:55:20 PM »
can u share the location of this?

Offline mb

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 09:01:43 PM »
can u share the location of this?

I don't want to share the specific location until I see what the hotel does/doesnt offer me...if I did so before, and commit to not saying anything, I don't think that's correct.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 09:20:35 PM »

+100

From the movie The Fly, "be afraid, be VERY afraid." Those critters get in a house, and it's toast.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline MnM1130

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 09:28:29 PM »
I don't want to share the specific location until I see what the hotel does/doesnt offer me...if I did so before, and commit to not saying anything, I don't think that's correct.
truth is im not going anyhow anywhere.. but if i was i wud like to know if there were an actual case of bedbugs at the hotel im plannin on shelling out $$ for... so not sure why its not allowed to be told... but to each their own (would u have wanted s/o to tell u there was bed bugs there?)

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 09:42:44 PM »
... so not sure why its not allowed to be told...
doesnt want to say bec then loses leverage with the hotel. and if he already said where it would b lying to tell them he wont say

Offline mek

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 10:23:40 PM »
Yes good point. I've actually had bedbugs before so I'm familiar...I should probably ask them for money towards my massive cleaning bill (I've been travelling for 2 weeks so we have a lot of clothes...)

Dunno if a regular cleaning will do that trick make sure you look that up. I would just throw everything out and ask them for compensation plus a week free in any of their hotels

Offline MoYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 10:34:08 PM »
Dunno if a regular cleaning will do that trick make sure you look that up. I would just throw everything out and ask them for compensation plus a week free in any of their hotels

Slow down, ask for compensation of damaged belongings and then throw it all out. You dont want to loose all your stuff without knowing if theyll refund.

Offline smart brit

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 11:40:29 PM »
That's sick a 4* hotel with bed bugs???
I have nightmares every time in a hotel about bed bugs and always book with the more trusted names for that reason.
I guess it could be found everywhere

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 12:11:33 AM »
truth is im not going anyhow anywhere.. but if i was i wud like to know if there were an actual case of bedbugs at the hotel im plannin on shelling out $$ for... so not sure why its not allowed to be told... but to each their own (would u have wanted s/o to tell u there was bed bugs there?)
Don't worry about shelling out $.. Bedbugs is like getting bumped, it's a good investment ;D
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 12:13:09 AM »
@OP Sorry to hear about your experiences. Hope they compensate you enough that you walk away satisfied.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline springles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 12:14:02 AM »
That's sick a 4* hotel with bed bugs???
I have nightmares every time in a hotel about bed bugs and always book with the more trusted names for that reason.
I guess it could be found everywhere
Yup, I actually check under the mattresses and around the beds as soon as I enter a hotel room

Offline MoYS

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 12:56:40 AM »
How often do you find them - not one or two but a whole group

Offline shmuelb

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 04:28:07 AM »
Don't worry about shelling out $.. Bedbugs is like getting bumped, it's a good investment ;D

LOL. Idk but I would guess that such a thing could happen even if they clean with the proper protocol. If the last person staying there had suitcases full of bugs... I don't think they exterminate for every new guest.
siyag lachachma :-)

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 04:49:02 AM »
i was in a hilton for pesach 2 yrs ago and they thought they had bed bugs they practically shut down the hotel, bec its very dangerous. they can travel and the reproduce at abnormal speeds and there all over so i would be very careful about ur cleaning and even going to a new room with ur cloths;

and as was said, its like getting bumped, its the ultimate complaint! you can ask for free upgrades for life as well as a free weeks stay and so on
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline L'Chaim

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 04:53:06 AM »
True.  Bedbugs have the tendency to hide in suitcases and clothing and travel with you home, so I would be very carefull with all your stuff. You should read up a little about them just to get an idea how bad they could be (I'm sure you don't want to be the one to infest the place that you live in)

Yup, I actually check under the mattresses and around the beds as soon as I enter a hotel room
I never put suitcases on beds anywhere I go to.