Author Topic: NY to Hawaii for $315 first class  (Read 20784 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: NY to Hawaii for $315 first class
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2012, 10:23:19 AM »
So then the price is a good deal from the west coast, at least if you want to fly first.

I don't believe anyone has said differently.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2012, 11:37:16 AM »
I don't believe anyone has said differently.

Which is exactly why this is no deal for east-coasters. And it's a suspect deal even from LAX due to Avios and great AA availability to every island.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2012, 11:47:27 AM »
Let me know when you find an AS flight from LAX to HI ::)
I'd rather fly nonstop coach for 5 hours for just 25K Avios than drive hours or connect hours out of the way for $380 and have to deal with more limited availability just for domestic first.

Yes, if you live in SAN/OAK/SEA this is a great deal.  Other than that it's way overblown IMHO.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:50:58 AM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2012, 01:28:18 PM »

Last I checked, SEA/OAK/SAN are included in "the west coast."
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline businessmachine

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2012, 01:30:44 PM »
you guys spend way too much time arguing about mundane details

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2012, 01:33:39 PM »
you guys spend way too much time arguing about mundane details
Not really.
Some bloggers are making this out to be the deal of the century for everyone and their dog.

I think it's nice for a very limited subset of people (west coasters not living in LA and who aren't sitting on cheap Avios from the BA card or the 50% MR bonus when tickets were just 16K MR for a RT to HI) and that's about it. And I think a lot of people have been suckered into plunking down $340 (besides for the fuel surcharges that will be due a ticketing) for something they may never use or will need an expensive positioning flight to get to a gateway that effectively kills the deal. 

The only way this makes sense if you have a trip planned and there is saver availability to book.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline businessmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2012, 01:45:14 PM »
Not really.
Some bloggers are making this out to be the deal of the century for everyone and their dog.

I think it's nice for a very limited subset of people (west coasters not living in LA and who aren't sitting on cheap Avios from the BA card or the 50% MR bonus when tickets were just 16K MR for a RT to HI) and that's about it. And I think a lot of people have been suckered into plunking down $340 (besides for the fuel surcharges that will be due a ticketing) for something they may never use.  The only way this makes sense if you have a trip planned and there is saver availability to book.

I hear you and understand that this deal is perhaps not the blockbuster people made it to be. Just like in everything there was a risk in getting in on this deal. I read about several bookings from DFW, ORD in addition to the SAN, SEA, OAK which is fairly easy to find.

I think this could be a good deal for a lot of people and perhaps not such a good deal for others who don't want to spend time doing the leg work. I personally think that even if you live in L.A. a drive to SD is worth first class tickets to HI for around $300. Not to mention that if you happen to be in one of the west coast cities, you can get to HI easily without a stop and then basically get a saver award to almost any state AS flies to as you have the stopover.

Just my two cents....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2012, 01:50:56 PM »
Sample dates with ORD availability?

Around $300? Huh? More like $380 (This is another beef of mine among the bloggers, let's just toss aside the mandatory forex fee and fuel surcharge) +5 hours of driving round-trip (potentially much more with traffic) with gas+Parking at SAN all for what?
To sit in domestic first on a 5 hour flight instead of just using 25K Avios to fly coach from LAX?
Plus AA flies to all 4 islands from LAX and has better availability than AS which flies to just 2 islands from SAN.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 01:55:34 PM by Dan »

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2012, 01:58:24 PM »
Yeh I believe I paid $640 which covers two tix. When you add in $75 per person taxes and a $25 booking fee this deal kind of shrivels up.

Having said that, if I can get two first class to Anchorage from the East Coast which is what I'm hoping for I think it might pay off. Not a huge payoff but definitely something.
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline yare

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2012, 04:46:32 PM »
Yeh I believe I paid $640 which covers two tix. When you add in $75 per person taxes and a $25 booking fee this deal kind of shrivels up.

Having said that, if I can get two first class to Anchorage from the East Coast which is what I'm hoping for I think it might pay off. Not a huge payoff but definitely something.
first class to anchorage for $400 is a pretty huge payoff imo

Offline marko

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2012, 04:52:09 PM »
Yea, I live in La and I was considering driving down to San Diego to use this deal. When I called up they told me there is no availability at all during  a two week span in June that I was looking for. Sounds like the availability is extremely sparse..

Offline businessmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2012, 04:59:26 PM »
I just looked a few days ago and found a ton of availability from SAN to OGG in May and June 2013...

Offline marko

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2012, 05:00:32 PM »
I just looked a few days ago and found a ton of availability from SAN to OGG in May and June 2013...

Where are you looking? I spoke to an agent on the phone...

Offline businessmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2012, 05:06:16 PM »
First thing I would do is look on AS website for the 37,500 per way. Look on the calendar to find those.

Then to confirm A availability I went to expert flyer.

Offline marko

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2012, 05:15:15 PM »
Some reason Iceland do not have the availability that is shown on Alaska site. Call them you will see...

Offline businessmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2012, 05:18:49 PM »
did you see availability on expertflyer under A and Iceland air said no?  Was it done on partner flights on the ones you found? were there stopovers?

Last I checked, the non stop A availability from SAN to OGG was good according to Iceland. I'm not sure what itinerary your looking at

Offline marko

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2012, 05:36:57 PM »
I looked at Alaska and did see it was available, but for some reason when I spoke to Iceland on the phone they said there was no availability at all. I am going to try again. Try, Give them a call you will see..

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2012, 05:59:06 PM »
I looked at Alaska and did see it was available, but for some reason when I spoke to Iceland on the phone they said there was no availability at all. I am going to try again. Try, Give them a call you will see..

I had exactly the same experience. I was staring at EF and telling the rep there is def availability and she just insisted there wasn't. Then she found some a dif day when EF said there wasn't. Go figure.

It was like arguing with the wall.
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2012, 06:07:29 PM »
Like I said, unless you're on the phone and are ready to book a vacay I wouldn't lock in...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2012, 03:12:51 PM »
For the record I checked last week about the EWR-SEA-KOA-SEA-EWR flight that would theoretically work with a connection there and stopover back and there was not a single seat for saver awards through end of scheduling.