Author Topic: Win 1,000,000 Marriott Points  (Read 10810 times)

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
Re: Win 1,000,000 Marriott Points
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 04:54:04 PM »
us and canada is eligible, quebec and anywhere else is not eligible.
Just Like I said twice but ppl dont read.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 07:21:47 PM »
Just Like I said twice but ppl dont read.

you actually quoted it first as saying that it is void in canada and smurf and myself were just pointing out how we came to the conclusion that you were interpreting it wrong (as per the post he quoted)

Offline bem684

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 10:13:40 AM »
I'm currently taking night classes in accounting.  My Taxation professor told me that US tax court has ruled airline miles to be not taxable, due to the difficulty of assigning a value to them.  I assume this would be the same for hotel points, no?  I mean, who says that Marriott's value of $12,500 is anywhere near realistic?

Offline bem684

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 10:19:54 AM »
Just to clarify, airline miles are not taxable as income AS LONG AS you don't sell them.  Once you convert them to cash (or probably even gift cards, etc.) they could theoretically be included in gross income.  This is unlikely in any case because it won't get reported to the IRS (though you personally have a legal obligation to report it).

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 10:39:40 AM »
Just to clarify, airline miles are not taxable as income AS LONG AS you don't sell them.  Once you convert them to cash (or probably even gift cards, etc.) they could theoretically be included in gross income.  This is unlikely in any case because it won't get reported to the IRS (though you personally have a legal obligation to report it).

Incorrect.
Cc bonuses aren't usually reported. Checking acct bonuses are reported/taxable.
See this thread

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=12061.0

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 10:49:40 AM »
Incorrect.

Actually, hes 100% correct.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline bem684

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 10:53:14 AM »
They are not taxable unless you redeem them.  To quote a post from that thread:

You won't get a 1099 on the TY points. Thank You points are not taxable upon receipt but rather upon redemption. AA miles are a completely different ballgame.

The reason for this is because points are used for so many different purposes, and carry such a huge range of value, that it's not practical to tax the receipt of points.  Every case could go to court and the taxpayer might win simply by contesting the value assigned to their points. 

Instead the IRS had adopted the much more practical M.O. of taxing upon redemption, because the thing you redeem them for will usually have a much more easily discernible value.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 12:51:20 PM »
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

The prof was talking about miles from flights.  The IRS decided not to go there as there would be mass outrage...
Miles from CCs are merely a purchase rebate, thus are not taxable.
Miles from contests are definitely taxable at their ARV.
Miles from checking accounts is the only gray area.  Some banks 1099 you, others do not.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline bem684

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 01:55:28 PM »
What determines the ARV?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2011, 01:57:04 PM »
What determines the ARV?
The company holding the contest, it must be stated in the Ts and Cs.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline bem684

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 02:03:22 PM »
If that's true, then it's ridiculous.  You could argue every valuation.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2011, 02:08:36 PM »
If that's true, then it's ridiculous.  You could argue every valuation.
They will send a 1099 to the IRS for their valuation.  I'm sure you can dispute it, but it may not be fun.
Don't like it? Don't enter contests for anything where the prize isn't cash.

I always feel bad for people on game shows that win a vacation "worth $30,000."
Enjoy that 1099 suckers!

Offline bem684

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 02:31:04 PM »
Oprah gave away 276 Pontiacs to people in the audience of her show.  The key here is that this particular audience was hand-picked because their friends said they badly needed a new car but couldn't afford it.  The ironic thing is that if they are really having money problems, the $7,000 tax bill will be beyond them anyways.  My professor spoke at length about this in class.  The first article just talks about the giveaway.  The second article discusses the tax consequences.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/5989964/ns/today-entertainment/t/surprise-oprah-gives-entire-audience-new-cars/#.Tuj4vPJkja8

http://money.cnn.com/2004/09/22/news/newsmakers/oprah_car_tax/

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 03:43:03 PM »
Oprah gave away 276 Pontiacs to people in the audience of her show.  The key here is that this particular audience was hand-picked because their friends said they badly needed a new car but couldn't afford it.  The ironic thing is that if they are really having money problems, the $7,000 tax bill will be beyond them anyways.  My professor spoke at length about this in class.  The first article just talks about the giveaway.  The second article discusses the tax consequences.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/5989964/ns/today-entertainment/t/surprise-oprah-gives-entire-audience-new-cars/#.Tuj4vPJkja8

http://money.cnn.com/2004/09/22/news/newsmakers/oprah_car_tax/
At least there they could sell the car though.  A $30K vacation would be impossible to sell.

Offline Spiffster

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2011, 03:52:33 PM »
Well, taxes are due on what the FMV of the prize is, not the ARV and it's the FMV when you actually take possession, not when the contest started   So, if you actually do win something, you should do your own research and see what the FMV of the prize is/will be.  A vacation priced at 30K is going to be full Y fares, rack room rate, etc..., i.e., the company is lazy.   You'd never actually pay that and doing 10 minutes of research would most likely find the same prize for, say, 10K or less.  I never let an inflated ARV keep me from spending 30 seconds to enter one of these sweepstakes.  If you do the research and decide you don't want the prize, you can always decline it later without any liability.

What do then if you actually want the prize?   Ask the sweepstakes promoter to adjust the ARV to the actual FMV (that you researched) and 1099 for that amount.  And/or file a 1099 incorrect form (forget the form# offhand).  Or you could adjust it yourself on your tax forms and report the diff. as negative income.

it's important to do these things before you actually accept the prize.  And while some sweepstakes require you to accept the prize within a certain timeframe, you can use this to your advantage.  Say, you win a car, if you can wait until the next model year's models come out, your prize's FMV will be lower.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 03:55:44 PM »
How do you decide on a FMV for miles?
They can be worth 0.1cpm, they can be worth 50cpm.

If a company values miles at 2.5cpm it may be hard to dispute.  Wouldn't want to fight the IRS on that.

Offline Red

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 06:06:32 PM »
I just got an email from marriott offering me to increase my balance to 65k with up to 55k points (a credit card offer). The funny thing is that as far as I knew I had no point balance in my account, after logging in I found this:
02/29/2012
FACEBOOK MR POINTS SWEEPS - MI
10,000 points
Apparently I won 10k points from this sweepstakes and had no idea.
So what are these points worth, anything substantial?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2012, 06:27:07 PM »
I just got an email from marriott offering me to increase my balance to 65k with up to 55k points (a credit card offer). The funny thing is that as far as I knew I had no point balance in my account, after logging in I found this:  Apparently I won 10k points from this sweepstakes and had no idea.
So what are these points worth, anything substantial?

10k is worth (much?) less than $100. 70k offer linky is still up, might still work, though there are much better Chase offers to go for.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Red

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2012, 07:47:10 AM »
10k is worth (much?) less than $100. 70k offer linky is still up, might still work, though there are much better Chase offers to go for.

I'm not planning on getting the CC, I was just curious what the points are worth.