Topic Wiki

Whats a Desktop Deal:

There are many factors you need to take into account in order to make something a deal. Manufacturer, Product line, Specs and warranty are usually what to look at when figuring that out. You need to consider prices as well, sometimes you get a price so hot that it doesn't matter what company it is.

Generally speaking here are the guidelines for Intel processors:

i3 8th Gen processor - Under $300 is usually a hot deal, Under $350 is decent
i5 8th Gen Processor - Under $400 is a Usually a Hot Deal
i7 8th Gen Processor - Under $600 is a Usually Hot Deal

to be continued....

Author Topic: Desktop Deals Master Thread  (Read 455470 times)

Offline Sammy82

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Desktop Deals Master Thread
« Reply #2020 on: September 19, 2023, 08:46:20 PM »
After 10 years, it's time for me to replace my work desktop. So back in May, I bought a loaded Opti7010 micro. 12th gen i7, 16gb, 512SSD, etc. It kept over heating, freezing, etc. They replaced the entire thing but upgraded it to an i9 since they couldn't find an exact match replacement (the original one was from Dell's Outlet store. Have bought dozens of desktops and laptops over the years and only had issues one time before this). Similar issues. Tech came a few times, and basically replaced every single part. But still overheating and freezing/going into deep-sleep randomly/restarting. So Dell sent out another replacement 2 months ago and still having those same issues. My IT guy suspects that the small micro form factor can't handle the powerful i7/i9. He's recommending that I go for a bigger PC, at least a small form factor.
1. is what he's saying make sense?
2. If yes, I'm looking for a good deal on a i7, SFF. Personally, I always preferred a Dell Opti because of the automatic 3-year warranty but I'm open to anything.
What are the temps at?
Very hot to the touch
Small form factors can be cooled properly too..

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: September 19, 2023, 09:09:53 PM »
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: September 19, 2023, 09:12:16 PM »
What are the temps at?

Small form factors can be cooled properly too..

+1, might want to make sure it’s in a well ventilated/cool place. Maybe it’s being stored in a drawer or with a jacket draped over it (or some other less wild factor) that’s causing it to overhear.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #2023 on: September 19, 2023, 09:33:48 PM »
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: September 19, 2023, 09:49:09 PM »
+1, might want to make sure it’s in a well ventilated/cool place. Maybe it’s being stored in a drawer or with a jacket draped over it (or some other less wild factor) that’s causing it to overhear.

It's mounted under my desk via a dell-certified mount. I double checked and none of the vents are blocked. Very airy down there.

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #2025 on: September 19, 2023, 09:52:51 PM »
he mistakenly put his answer in your quote.
Oops missed that.

Not specific enough, try using a tool to get accurate temps
Common one is https://www.hwinfo.com/
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #2026 on: September 20, 2023, 05:29:46 AM »
I have less experience with desktops, but...
1. It does seem strange to blame the size of the desktop when it is being sold that way from the company.
On the other hand...
2. In the laptop world, manufacturers severely underestimated the cooling requirements for Intel 12. It was only those laptops released late in that cycle, and the ones with 13th gen processors, when the heating came (mostly) under control.
3. Internal temps may not be so bad as to be damaging the long-term prospects for the system. Are you experiencing performance throttling? As was asked above, can you post internal temps?
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: September 20, 2023, 02:13:21 PM »
Oops missed that.

Not specific enough, try using a tool to get accurate temps
Common one is https://www.hwinfo.com/
I have no clue what these numbers mean but attached are the test results

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: September 20, 2023, 08:18:41 PM »
I have no clue what these numbers mean but attached are the test results
Looking for a screenshot similar to what's here
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-check-your-cpu-temperature/

Try to get one when starting on your computer and one after an hour of use.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline bubkiz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: October 22, 2023, 01:18:27 PM »
Computer novice, looking for a computer for general office use. Need to support 2 monitors.
 Is this a good buy? Or can someone direct me to a different product that's worthwhile.

https://www.costco.com/hp-envy-desktop---13th-gen-intel-core-i7-13700---windows-11-professional.product.4000159147.html

Offline sysg1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: October 22, 2023, 01:25:43 PM »
Overkill
Don't need an i7 and 32gb ram for regular office use. (Excel, outlook, browsers)

99% of computer support 2+ monitors these days.

So for a basic office computer I like to stick to an i5 and 16gb ram with a SSD. Only reason for 16gb is that people tend to leave a lot of things open. Price is probably $200ish less than the Costco one.

Not sure what type of office work you are talking about, but most don't need more than what I said.

Offline bubkiz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #2032 on: October 22, 2023, 02:06:03 PM »
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 02:20:57 PM by Alexsei »
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #2033 on: November 06, 2023, 05:35:12 AM »
M1 Mac Mini for $540 at Woot (new). Good for those who are already in the Apple ecosystem and don't need much from a computer except a computer.
https://computers.woot.com/offers/apple-mac-mini-m1-chip-512gb-late-2020z?ref=w_cnt_wp_0_4
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: November 06, 2023, 10:08:38 AM »
Amazing, in case you haven't noticed it doesn't have an optical drive
What's an optical drive? Can you send me an AOL IM about it?

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: November 08, 2023, 11:00:43 PM »
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/inspiron-desktop/spd/inspiron-3020-desktop/useithbts3020fyzp
This seems like an excellent deal to my novice eye. Any thoughts?
Will be used as a home computer by multiple kids doing school work, some excel, web browsing, youtube, basics like that.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: November 09, 2023, 04:01:34 AM »
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/inspiron-desktop/spd/inspiron-3020-desktop/useithbts3020fyzp
This seems like an excellent deal to my novice eye. Any thoughts?
Will be used as a home computer by multiple kids doing school work, some excel, web browsing, youtube, basics like that.
Maybe it was cheaper when you posted it.
Either way, this is wild overkill for the uses you specify. You shouldn't have to spend more than $500 - in the current sale environment, even $400 - including future proofing. You may have to compromise on the storage space but these are easily upgradeable.
Would you like me to find you a few options?

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: November 09, 2023, 12:33:16 PM »
Either way, this is wild overkill for the uses you specify. You shouldn't have to spend more than $500 - in the current sale environment, even $400 - including future proofing. You may have to compromise on the storage space but these are easily upgradeable.
Yes thank you that's very kind!
Note that I already have 2 monitors. This machine is priced at $699, but I neglected to mention that I was also factoring in the $120 Amex offer, effectively making it $579.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: November 10, 2023, 03:57:07 AM »
Yes thank you that's very kind!
Note that I already have 2 monitors. This machine is priced at $699, but I neglected to mention that I was also factoring in the $120 Amex offer, effectively making it $579.
It's okay. You can only get an i5 with 16GB RAM for $100 less, and priced that close I would take the i7 just because.
Here's a few alternatives (I assume the $120 is for anything Dell?):
1. This is priced $450 at Dell and has an i5, way more than enough for you. If you get a $120 discount it is $330. You may decide in the future that you need more RAM, though. If you are even vaguely handy, this is cheap and easy. If the idea makes you break out in a sweat, forget about this option. (Though in my day, Staples techs took $40 to upgrade RAM. The RAM itself might be $50, or $80 at a Staples (a guess).)
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/inspiron-small-desktop/spd/inspiron-3020-small-desktop/useishbts3020gcrg

2. $450. HP Pavilion with Ryzen 5-G (less processor, significantly better graphics), 12GB RAM (much better than 8 and still upgradeable), 256GB SSD and TB HDD, Costco (extra warranty).
https://www.costco.com/hp-pavilion-desktop---amd-ryzen-5-5600g---windows-11.product.100941375.html

3. $400. HP Victus gaming desktop from HP with the same Ryzen processor, 8GB of RAM ($90 for 16 if you will never upgrade it yourself), 256GB SSD, and RX 6400 XT graphics. If you think you would want your kids to play some basic games learn graphic editing like Photoshop, this is stupendous value. (If so, the upgrade to the RX6500XT for $60 is recommended.) If you don't want the temptation of installing games, don't get this lock it down.
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/ConfigureView?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&catEntryId=3074457345620235323&urlLangId=&quantity=1&color=mica%20silver

4. $600. MSI small computer with Ryzen 7 5700G (not as good as the i7 in your Dell but better graphics), 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD. Consider this if you don't have a lot of space - it is tiny. Available at Newegg and Best Buy.
https://www.newegg.com/msi-pro-dp20za-5m-223us-student-home-office/p/N82E16883151282?Item=N82E16883151282&SoldByNewegg=1
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-dp20za-desktop-amd-ryzen-r5-16gb-memory-500gb-ssd-mineral-grey-black/6500276.p?skuId=6500276

Let me know if you have any questions.

Offline talmid chuchem

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: November 13, 2023, 04:14:14 PM »
I am looking for a desktop for heavy web usage (a lot of chrome tabs open), some other office programs, & 2 screens, would this be good for me?
I think i should get something with 32gb RAM for chrome
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 04:24:19 PM by talmid chuchem »