Topic Wiki

Whats a Desktop Deal:

There are many factors you need to take into account in order to make something a deal. Manufacturer, Product line, Specs and warranty are usually what to look at when figuring that out. You need to consider prices as well, sometimes you get a price so hot that it doesn't matter what company it is.

Generally speaking here are the guidelines for Intel processors:

i3 8th Gen processor - Under $300 is usually a hot deal, Under $350 is decent
i5 8th Gen Processor - Under $400 is a Usually a Hot Deal
i7 8th Gen Processor - Under $600 is a Usually Hot Deal

to be continued....

Author Topic: Desktop Deals Master Thread  (Read 455267 times)

Offline sddd

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Desktop Deals Master Thread
« Reply #2061 on: November 30, 2023, 10:05:23 AM »
Look here: https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/337646-apples-entry-level-m2-macbook-pro-turns-into-a-celeron-under-heavy-load
Throughout I've noticed several tech sites saying the same, or worse (it seems that some reviewer's "light loads" were enough to throttle the computer.) I've already seen articles saying Apple did not improve matters for the M3.
Notebookcheck is more forgiving (they only noticed when they worked it hard). It says (emphasis mine):
In my mind, if you are spending that much in the first place, it isn't worth not spending further and solving this issue.

article youre quoting is for a different product. And its a 2$k price point. Performance Expectations are stratospheric at that cost. This is a $500 model and all ive read says theres no PC equivilant of performance at $500 - $ 600. Plus its an amazing form factor - if youre okay with macs

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #2062 on: November 30, 2023, 10:53:44 AM »
article youre quoting is for a different product. And its a 2$k price point. Performance Expectations are stratospheric at that cost. This is a $500 model and all ive read says theres no PC equivilant of performance at $500 - $ 600. Plus its an amazing form factor - if youre okay with macs
Agree regarding the price point, of course. But a different product? The product that matters, which they share, is the same SSD which is the source of the issue. You WILL get better performance out of a mini PC with a Ryzen 5 laptop processor ($200 less), EXCEPT if you need to take advantage of the M2/M3's far superior processor - at which point you will get throttled by the RAM.

To put this in context: I have had back-and-forths here on DDF regarding 8GB of RAM versus 16GB. 8GB of RAM has its place in the budget computer world. I even have posted an Apple mini with 8GB deal on this thread ($540, with an M1...). But it depends on the situation. I've advocated i5 with 16GB over i7 with 8GB (if you were not planning to upgrade it / can't upgrade it), for example. Hence my opinion, which I feel obligated to share whenever M2/M3 + 8GB is mentioned. You are, of course, welcome to yours.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: November 30, 2023, 03:30:36 PM »
https://www.newegg.com/p/2SW-002G-000F0?item=9SIBJ6VK5V4225

What are pros and cons of minisforum? Is there room to worry about Chinese hackers inserting malicious code into the bios?

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #2064 on: December 01, 2023, 01:05:56 AM »
https://www.newegg.com/p/2SW-002G-000F0?item=9SIBJ6VK5V4225

What are pros and cons of minisforum? Is there room to worry about Chinese hackers inserting malicious code into the bios?
I've seen reputable reviews saying they are fine (same goes for Beelink).
Agav, everyone in the UK+EU is happily using Huawei products and pushing all the ways they are better than the competition.
If your use case includes graphics-related workloads, get the AMD versions.
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: December 01, 2023, 11:13:36 AM »
Agav, everyone in the UK+EU is happily using Huawei products and pushing all the ways they are better than the competition.

Consumers need a compelling reason to buy your spyware :P
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: December 02, 2023, 01:02:38 PM »
Consumers need a compelling reason to buy your spyware :P
They delved into the subject when Trump made a big deal about it at the time. The UK govt did cancel a huge Huawei contract to upgrade their telecommunications, but the hamon am continue to use it happily. (Agav, Brit magazines came to the same conclusion re: Kaspersky anti-virus but nevertheless stopped recommending it because there are other options.)

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: December 07, 2023, 11:37:19 PM »
https://www.newegg.com/msi-pro-dp21-13m-655us-student-home-office/p/N82E16883151306?item=N82E16883151306

$510 after code Affirm15dec
Looks like it checks the boxes I need. I don't think I'm going to risk minisform.... what if a Chinese hacker maliciously releases my top secret vort on the parsha before I'm ready?

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: December 13, 2023, 07:45:51 AM »
8GB of RAM has its place in the budget computer world. I even have posted an Apple mini with 8GB deal on this thread ($540, with an M1...).
https://computers.woot.com/offers/apple-mac-mini-m1-chip-8gb-late-2020z-1?ref=w_cnt_wp_0_13

Mac Mini M1 8GB RAM for $450 new at Woot. Upgrade from 256GB to 512GB for $50. If you need more than 256GB, 512GB probably won't help, so on a budget, get a Windows mini computer.

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: December 13, 2023, 07:57:59 AM »
https://computers.woot.com/offers/apple-mac-mini-m1-chip-8gb-late-2020z-1?ref=w_cnt_wp_0_13

Mac Mini M1 8GB RAM for $450 new at Woot. Upgrade from 256GB to 512GB for $50. If you need more than 256GB, 512GB probably won't help, so on a budget, get a Windows mini computer.
M2 is 500
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: December 13, 2023, 08:17:36 AM »
M2 is 500
But you shouldn't get the M2 with 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD.

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: December 13, 2023, 08:29:28 AM »
But you shouldn't get the M2 with 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD.
And the M1?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: December 13, 2023, 08:38:17 AM »
And the M1?
Since you'll actually understand, here's the non dumbed-down answer:
The M1 model comes with an SSD using all four PCIe lanes, showing little to no slowdown when 8GB of RAM is saturated and SSD space is used as RAM. However, both M2 and M3 models come with an SSD limited to two lanes. Reviewers all noted horrible performance throttling when the RAM was saturated (one called it "Celeron performance"). As such, for a basic user, the M1 is a no-brainer to recommend over the M2. Anyone who needs the extra processing power provided by the M2 will also need more than 8GB of RAM, and by extension, will be unable to take advantage of the M2.
You can solve this problem by going up to 16GB RAM or by going up to 512GB storage (as that drive uses four lanes).

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: December 13, 2023, 11:11:33 PM »
Since you'll actually understand, here's the non dumbed-down answer:
The M1 model comes with an SSD using all four PCIe lanes, showing little to no slowdown when 8GB of RAM is saturated and SSD space is used as RAM. However, both M2 and M3 models come with an SSD limited to two lanes. Reviewers all noted horrible performance throttling when the RAM was saturated (one called it "Celeron performance"). As such, for a basic user, the M1 is a no-brainer to recommend over the M2. Anyone who needs the extra processing power provided by the M2 will also need more than 8GB of RAM, and by extension, will be unable to take advantage of the M2.
You can solve this problem by going up to 16GB RAM or by going up to 512GB storage (as that drive uses four lanes).
Interesting good to know. Was thinking about getting one potentially despite my dislike for apple products (just had a horrible support experience). I don't need more power as much as more tabs headroom. I guess I should try it out and see if the SSDs manage to help out enough for it to match my current overly spec'd Thinkpad.
Any reason not to buy one used?

Oh and thanks for the faith in me :)
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: December 14, 2023, 05:08:16 AM »
Any reason not to buy one used?
My main gripe against used pertains to laptops, with a cooling system that kind of gives up over time (and you have no idea how long the old device was used). That and no guarantee on the battery, though that depends where you buy.
I would think those don't apply to desktops, the latter for sure and the former not to the same extent. It would depend on your use case.
Any reason not to buy something cheap Windows? You can save good money on a barebones miniPC if you provide your own SSD, RAM and OS (think Intel NUC and all the copycats), and the computer is otherwise brand new - plus you can install 16GB of RAM lechatchila at nearly the same cost.

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: December 14, 2023, 09:17:03 AM »
Any reason not to buy something cheap Windows? You can save good money on a barebones miniPC if you provide your own SSD, RAM and OS (think Intel NUC and all the copycats), and the computer is otherwise brand new - plus you can install 16GB of RAM lechatchila at nearly the same cost.
I don't think the cost will be less than a used mac M1. For the money the M1 performance will probably be superior.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: December 14, 2023, 10:46:44 AM »
I don't think the cost will be less than a used mac M1. For the money the M1 performance will probably be superior.
Hmm. Close but I think you are right. Electricity use will probably be less, too.

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: December 19, 2023, 08:32:42 AM »
Now contemplating a used base model for $300 or I think I can get a used 16gb for $500
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: December 21, 2023, 08:03:11 PM »
@mevinyavin got a used one for $300 thanks for the M1 tip.

Now I'm trying to figure out if there's anything that I can use other than a keyboard as a keyboard.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: February 12, 2024, 11:50:41 PM »