Topic Wiki

Whats a Desktop Deal:

There are many factors you need to take into account in order to make something a deal. Manufacturer, Product line, Specs and warranty are usually what to look at when figuring that out. You need to consider prices as well, sometimes you get a price so hot that it doesn't matter what company it is.

Generally speaking here are the guidelines for Intel processors:

i3 8th Gen processor - Under $300 is usually a hot deal, Under $350 is decent
i5 8th Gen Processor - Under $400 is a Usually a Hot Deal
i7 8th Gen Processor - Under $600 is a Usually Hot Deal

to be continued....

Author Topic: Desktop Deals Master Thread  (Read 455258 times)

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Desktop Deals Master Thread
« Reply #2080 on: February 14, 2024, 12:23:45 AM »
kinda quiet round these parts

https://www.costco.com/hp-pavilion-desktop---amd-ryzen-5-5600g---windows-11.product.100941375.html
dropped to $370
OOS

Been looking for a new desktop and not seeing many deals and really I don't know where to start anyway.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #2081 on: February 14, 2024, 05:10:30 AM »
OOS

Been looking for a new desktop and not seeing many deals and really I don't know where to start anyway.
I don't hang out in this area, but based on the previous deal posted, this seems a good price.
https://www.newegg.com/acer-aspire-tc-1770-ur11-student-home-office/p/N82E16883101899

If you want to spend less, that's another story. But for office work there's no reason to spend more.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline gmd

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: February 18, 2024, 04:42:20 PM »
I ordered this desktop from Dell https://www.dell.com/purchase/cart/share/m-BAlLdKR0aOk85FDzeQcQ~001/en-us
I did not realize that it only has one port for the monitor (didnt know that still make such an option).
My question is, is there any adapter I can use to connect a second monitor or do I need to upgrade the device graphics?

Offline Joel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #2084 on: February 18, 2024, 04:58:30 PM »
I ordered this desktop from Dell https://www.dell.com/purchase/cart/share/m-BAlLdKR0aOk85FDzeQcQ~001/en-us
I did not realize that it only has one port for the monitor (didnt know that still make such an option).
My question is, is there any adapter I can use to connect a second monitor or do I need to upgrade the device graphics?
You can add a graphics card which will support 2 monitors

Offline gmd

• View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: February 18, 2024, 07:14:32 PM »
You can add a graphics card which will support 2 monitors
Do you know which one would be compatible with this device?

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: February 19, 2024, 04:14:00 PM »
Any thoughts on this computer

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/inspiron-desktop/spd/inspiron-3020-desktop/useithbts3020fyzp

With the 120 of 599 from amex and 10% for email sign up takes it to about 500. Is this a good computer. Not doing heavy work on it. Would that be a good deal?

Offline gmd

• View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: February 19, 2024, 07:50:48 PM »
I spoke to the dell rep and he told me the only option is to upgrade the device. But on the Dell website here, https://www.dell.com/community/en/conversations/xps-desktops/xps-8960-only-1-display-output/647fa394f4ccf8a8de979fae they say it works to add a second monitor thru an MST Splitter, anyone know if that is a good option, are there any downsides to using two monitors thru a splitter?

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: February 20, 2024, 04:51:34 AM »
Any thoughts on this computer

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/inspiron-desktop/spd/inspiron-3020-desktop/useithbts3020fyzp

With the 120 of 599 from amex and 10% for email sign up takes it to about 500. Is this a good computer. Not doing heavy work on it. Would that be a good deal?
Get this one instead. It is already so much more than you need. https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/inspiron-small-desktop/spd/inspiron-3020-small-desktop/useishbts3020gcrd

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: February 20, 2024, 09:10:50 AM »
Get this one instead. It is already so much more than you need. https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/inspiron-small-desktop/spd/inspiron-3020-small-desktop/useishbts3020gcrd
This one only has 8gb ram but you can always add at a later date...

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: February 20, 2024, 10:13:00 AM »
This one only has 8gb ram but you can always add at a later date...
Select 16gb and 1tb config for $600 is I think what he was referring to.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: February 20, 2024, 11:03:25 AM »
Select 16gb and 1tb config for $600 is I think what he was referring to.
This.
I was going on the assumption that he wasn't the hands-on type (based on his looking at an i7 model lechatchila). The RAM is the most important component in a basic work computer (obviously assuming certain basic other specs are met).

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: February 20, 2024, 11:08:37 AM »
This.
I was going on the assumption that he wasn't the hands-on type (based on his looking at an i7 model lechatchila). The RAM is the most important component in a basic work computer (obviously assuming certain basic other specs are met).
I hear. I guess paying $100 for 8gb more of ram and 500gb more hd space is not so bad...

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: February 20, 2024, 11:16:54 AM »
I hear. I guess paying $100 for 8gb more of ram and 500gb more hd space is not so bad...
By today's prices, anyway. Last year you could get a 1TB SSD (3.0, 2GBps 4K write speed) for $35. Now you would pay more than $60.

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: February 20, 2024, 11:52:10 AM »
By today's prices, anyway. Last year you could get a 1TB SSD (3.0, 2GBps 4K write speed) for $35. Now you would pay more than $60.
exactly. but i was thinking that its a 1tb in place of a 500gb so its really not a $60 value anyway... more like $25+8gb ram ($25)=$50... nu-nu.

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: February 20, 2024, 09:15:08 PM »
I have the amex 120 off of 599 offer plus 10% email signup, so anything up to about 625 plus tax will cost me 480, so buying a $499 computer won't maximize my savings (unless i get something else as well). Therefore it makes sense for me to get the extra RAM and HD space.

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: February 20, 2024, 09:28:33 PM »
Thank you! I guess the difference in the graphic card is not significant either? What about Realtek WiFi 5 as opposed to WiFi 6?

Also the computer you previously recommended from Costco is back in stock. Which of these two would you recommend? After the offers It ends up being less than $100 more for the dell.

https://www.costco.com/hp-pavilion-desktop---amd-ryzen-5-5600g---windows-11.product.100941375.html

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: February 20, 2024, 09:53:07 PM »
Thank you! I guess the difference in the graphic card is not significant either? What about Realtek WiFi 5 as opposed to WiFi 6?

Also the computer you previously recommended from Costco is back in stock. Which of these two would you recommend? After the offers It ends up being less than $100 more for the dell.

The ryzen chip in the pavilion has better graphics, but I think the dell is worth the upgrade. 4gb more ram, smaller form, better cpu, larger ssd.

Check portals for further % back

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: February 21, 2024, 05:14:19 AM »
The ryzen chip in the pavilion has better graphics, but I think the dell is worth the upgrade. 4gb more ram, smaller form, better cpu, larger ssd.

Check portals for further % back
+1. Better graphics you don't need is not significant. The RAM may actually come into play.
Better wifi may matter if you plan on using it and your router is newer than wifi 5 and your service is faster than wifi 5 (EDIT: This is usually not a problem in the US).

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: March 10, 2024, 06:25:19 AM »
Today's Woot sale has an all-in-one. https://computers.woot.com/offers/acer-aspire-c27-27-all-in-one-desktop?ref=w_cnt_cdet_pc_dly_tl
In case anyone wants to know: This is a $200 laptop in a 27" inch screen..,