Topic Wiki

Whats a Desktop Deal:

There are many factors you need to take into account in order to make something a deal. Manufacturer, Product line, Specs and warranty are usually what to look at when figuring that out. You need to consider prices as well, sometimes you get a price so hot that it doesn't matter what company it is.

Generally speaking here are the guidelines for Intel processors:

i3 8th Gen processor - Under $300 is usually a hot deal, Under $350 is decent
i5 8th Gen Processor - Under $400 is a Usually a Hot Deal
i7 8th Gen Processor - Under $600 is a Usually Hot Deal

to be continued....

Author Topic: Desktop Deals Master Thread  (Read 451404 times)

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
Re: Desktop Deals Master Thread
« Reply #1160 on: November 25, 2015, 08:42:55 PM »
I think the only pro is that it's a little bit more portable

And what are the cons?
#TYH

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: November 25, 2015, 08:47:23 PM »

And what are the cons?
AFAIK, there's no cd/dvd drive.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: November 25, 2015, 08:47:30 PM »

And what are the cons?
price and quality
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Mordyk

• View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: November 25, 2015, 08:50:38 PM »

quality

This is what im trying to figure out. Do they compromise on the quality due to space?
#TYH

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: November 25, 2015, 08:52:45 PM »

This is what im trying to figure out. Do they compromise on the quality due to space?
I don't know why they do but it's definitely not what you'll get in  a desktop

Offline TorontoGuy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: November 25, 2015, 09:22:51 PM »

And what are the cons?
Some models have the mobile version of the processor, you have to check the processor number (eg. i5-xxxxX) and then look it up on ark.intel.com to see what version it is. Also the motherboards are less powerful. Another big issue with 2in1s is that there is less airflow - which is a very underrated problem. If you plan on using it for heavy duty work, it will not last as long as a desktop.

Offline Mordyk

• View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: November 25, 2015, 09:25:09 PM »
Ok. thanks everyone for your help so far. Now i am looking for a desktop that i will use with dual screens  (if it makes a difference ) mainly info stored on the cloud(not local memory ) and mostly work online.  What specs should be relevant to me?
#TYH

Offline TorontoGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: November 25, 2015, 09:41:39 PM »
Ok. thanks everyone for your help so far. Now i am looking for a desktop that i will use with dual screens  (if it makes a difference ) mainly info stored on the cloud(not local memory ) and mostly work online.  What specs should be relevant to me?
If you are going to use Wi-Fi make sure that it has a built in Wi-Fi card with at least 802.11 n, if you are going to use LAN (plug a wire in) good for you, it's faster.
The size of the enclosure. You will find full size towers, mini, micro and slimline, choose the one that is best for you. If you have space, the bigger the better, you will have more airflow and upgrading components in the future will be a lot easier.
HDD vs SDD. If you are looking for a computer that you will have most of your storage online, you do not need more then 250GB. That said, a SSD will give you an incomparable difference in start up speed.
Graphics. If you plan on having a dual monitor setup, you are going to need a graphics card with 2 outputs. Most modern desktop will come with 1 VGA port and 1 HDMI. Just take note of what you have before you go monitor shopping. It would be a shame to find a good deal, and then you realize you have to go find a new video card.
Software. Some computers now will ship with Microsoft Office, and it will come out cheaper then buying it separately. Never spend more because they offer you an Antivirus software! You don't need it, windows defender is by far efficient.

Offline Mordyk

• View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: November 25, 2015, 09:44:57 PM »
If you are going to use Wi-Fi make sure that it has a built in Wi-Fi card with at least 802.11 n, if you are going to use LAN (plug a wire in) good for you, it's faster.
The size of the enclosure. You will find full size towers, mini, micro and slimline, choose the one that is best for you. If you have space, the bigger the better, you will have more airflow and upgrading components in the future will be a lot easier.
HDD vs SDD. If you are looking for a computer that you will have most of your storage online, you do not need more then 250GB. That said, a SSD will give you an incomparable difference in start up speed.
Graphics. If you plan on having a dual monitor setup, you are going to need a graphics card with 2 outputs. Most modern desktop will come with 1 VGA port and 1 HDMI. Just take note of what you have before you go monitor shopping. It would be a shame to find a good deal, and then you realize you have to go find a new video card.
Software. Some computers now will ship with Microsoft Office, and it will come out cheaper then buying it separately. Never spend more because they offer you an Antivirus software! You don't need it, windows defender is by far efficient.
Thanks so much! I have needed a desktop for such a long time but since I had no clue what specs i needed i just kept on pushing it off.
#TYH

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: November 25, 2015, 09:45:44 PM »
Nice summary. Very nice of you to help out. I got very lazy the last few years...

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: November 25, 2015, 10:01:31 PM »

Just a few comments:
SSD gives a huge overall performance boost not just on startup, it also keeps the computer from slowing down after a few months.
Any desktop worth buying will have 2 graphics outputs, any of output can be converted with an adapter for a few dollars except for VGA-HDMI.
IME buying office will always be more expensive than buying it separately from b&h, Newegg, or Amazon.
You can use a free anti virus like avast.

Offline TorontoGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: November 25, 2015, 10:16:59 PM »

You can use a free anti virus like avast.
I'm not sure if this is the proper thread to discuss this issue - I would appreciate constructive criticism.
Do you actually find Avast better in any way than Windows Defender ( Formerly know as Microsoft Security Essentials)?

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: November 26, 2015, 02:25:17 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the proper thread to discuss this issue - I would appreciate constructive criticism.
Do you actually find Avast better in any way than Windows Defender ( Formerly know as Microsoft Security Essentials)?
lets keep that discussion in the other thread, it's all the same folks anyway.

Offline Sammy82

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline TorontoGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: November 26, 2015, 01:39:18 PM »
What would you be using it for?  Grocery Store POS? ;)

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: November 26, 2015, 01:49:27 PM »
What would you be using it for?  Grocery Store POS? ;)
Why do you say that? Because it's small? I would be using it for business (nurses in a nursing home setting)? Not too much desk space. Will be replacing 6-7 year old AIO desktops.

Offline TorontoGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: November 26, 2015, 02:09:26 PM »
Why do you say that? Because it's small? I would be using it for business (nurses in a nursing home setting)? Not too much desk space. Will be replacing 6-7 year old AIO desktops.
In that case I would say it's fine. However of space is not an issue you should be able to find a bit more of a competitive price. If you plan on using it for anything more then the basics, I would recommend buying liquid nitrogen to keep it cool, there is basically zero airflow of cooling in these microATX enclosures.

Offline Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: November 26, 2015, 02:23:28 PM »
I'm looking for a solid reliable basic desktop - specifically from Best Buy.
Windows 10, with dvd drive. Wifi not necessary, no peripherals necessary.
Based on Avromie7's advice, I'm looking for an i3 model.
What do you think about this one?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-h50-desktop-intel-core-i3-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black/4322500.p?id=1219734818692&skuId=4322500&productCategoryId=pcmcat212600050008

Thanks.

ETA: It will probably be $75 cheaper on Friday.
Update: It's actually $100 cheaper, but I found an i5 for only another $30, also discounted $100. Total price: $329. I bought it. Thanks DDF & Avromie7 for all your help.

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: November 26, 2015, 02:34:09 PM »
In that case I would say it's fine. However of space is not an issue you should be able to find a bit more of a competitive price. If you plan on using it for anything more then the basics, I would recommend buying liquid nitrogen to keep it cool, there is basically zero airflow of cooling in these microATX enclosures.
Really? I have a bunch if the Dell Optiplex 3020 Micro that we have been using for about a year so far and no problems. I think they are a similar size.