Author Topic: Rabbi Marburger Calls Me Out...  (Read 72354 times)

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
Re: Rabbi Marburger Calls Me Out...
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2012, 08:24:54 AM »
Trust me your rabbi killed it with this frum non frum sheila!

2 deff rabbis, sorry though, one holds it part of the heter one held its not.... i just relayed what the y both told me
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2012, 09:50:15 AM »
1. This is not a new question - what authority does a CSR have? Is she the owner that she can be mochel? If they are told that ppl can make changes etc. so that is what they are doing. They can be apologetic.
2. It looks stupid to put ads in the paper etc. it looks bad for the company so that still does not prove that they are mochel.
3. I asked before - if the tickets would be for $100 then would you still have the same taanos? You are pointing out that there was not such a huge loss as estimated by some. L'maase - do you really think/know that they had no loss? What about the seats over chanuka time? You are conjecturing that it is not so bad because of all the different reasons but it does not mean that there was no loss to them. Is there a difference to you if they lost $2M or 500k?
4. Please don't get so offended by what a Rav said about you, taking offense and demanding mechila. I don't know you personally but if you can, let it go. He surely did not mean it personally against you. He could have called you before. Are you on white pages with a phone number? Is that your house in the attached pic? You could have called him before you wrote the OP. What's done is done. IMHO, do not feel so bad, call him, whatever, but do not get mad at him.
Shalom al Yisroel (Yesterday's daf?)
I know this is an argument I can't win with most people as this man obviously knows more halacha and torah than I will even forget.  However I do have issues and forgive me for airing them.

1. If El Al wanted they could've instructed their employees to allow guilty people to cancel.

2. Look stupid? I think many frum people would respect El Al if they went to a respected Rov to get a ruling on ona'ah and publicized it that they are being forced in the matter and really don't mean it.

3. I am conjecturing?!?
With all due respect my entire point here is that Rabbi Marburger is the one conjecturing.
He conjectured that I directly caused a loss to my own brother of millions upon millions of dollars when:

A. I guarantee you there is no such loss.  This is not some good being made and sold at a loss or hiring of a wagon driver to take just you at a loss. 

Most people have switched to the nonstop flight with capacity controls put into place onto each flight (with flights expected to sell out not being offered at all) so that there is practically no marginal cost of flying someone and the $480-$680 they paid with the upgrade fee is actually a nice profit on customers who otherwise would never have flown to Israel, let alone nonstop on El Al. 

Why doesn't El Al always charge $480-$680? Because there are lots of people willing to pay far more than that to fly nonstop, but those people aren't the ones who were interested in this deal at all and they'll still be buying full fare tickets.  But if they always had this price for a nonstop then who woul pay the big bucks?  It's better for El Al to normally charge $1,000-$1,500 to fly nonstop and have a plane 80% full then it is to charge $580 and fill a plane.  However it's even better for El Al to charge $580 and fill 20% of a plane and charge $1,000-$1,500 to the folks who normally do pay extra to fly nonstop on them and fill the entire plane.

Airlines have sales and pricing rules that restrict people who normally pay full fare from getting a dirt cheap ticket as they need a mix of people paying full fares AND people paying dirt cheap to turn a profit.  With either of those people alone they could not make a profit. That is a fact and is the reaon airline pricing is so crazy and changes by the minute.

This one time solution may even help El Al's bottom line as they found a solution to capture an entirely new audience.  And who knows, maybe they'll discover why it's worth paying El Al $1,000 to fly nonstop in the future (better kosher meals?) and perhaps this is why they are being very flexible with changes and being much kinder than other airlines normally are.

It's a complicated system with complicated pricing.  But there's a reason Jetblue for example flew me to Boston for $20.  Because it's an additional $20 in their pocket which is better than nothing and as long as they avoid having regular business people buying that fare, making money in this fixed cost business can't create a loss just because I didn't pay the regular fare.

B. He conjectured that I caused a loss to yidden.  Please prove that it's yidden and not the contractor.

C. He conjectured without having even the slightest amount of dan l'kaf z'chus or care for L"H or being MS"R that I did this with evil intentions, castigated me for having the wrong outlook in life, and all that without bothering to ask me what I was thinking about the deal or about my expertise in the world of airline pricing.  Or ask any experts in the field of airline priving at least, and don't say that you don't know what the cost of a ticket is when making public shame sessions!  I have a public email address on my site and plenty of news orgs managed to find it just fine and I provided my number to them happily.

4. It all seemed very personal and directed to me.  I don't think you can ask me not to take offense to what someone else says.

I could have called him? What he said already uploaded and making it's way around the internet.  How would calling address the public nature of what he did? The shots were already fired and I felt the need to defend my stance, whether people agree with me or not.

And what the heck does my house have to with this discussion?? Unless someone stuck a for sale sign in the yard it's not mine.

Again, I have great respect for his torah knowledge, but that particular lecture seemed premature to me and not fully researched IMHO.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 09:56:10 AM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2012, 10:18:48 AM »
I agree with most everything you said.
However, just a few anecdotal cases where your metzius isn't true.
I booked my mom for Purim (you're right with my Dad, who travels for business, and it wasn't worth it for him to use this fare as he has to stop in London), when she totally would've paid full fare direct on el Al otherwise, and I believe those flights are normally full.
 She told two of her friends who travel numerous times to Israel every year on direct flights and they both booked tickets.
I booked a trip for my FIL when he had to go anyways.
I am booked on a direct flight the day after Pesach. I assure you that flight will be full
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2012, 10:22:52 AM »
I'm sure there will be plenty of outliers from 5,000-9,000 tickets booked.  However there seem to be a disproportionate amount of first-timers to TLV that are flying only because of the price.

Still even among people that would pay to fly direct, a good majority of them would be flying on Delta or United and this captured revenue for El Al even among that group.

And you got lucky with the Pesach tickets, those prices went shooting up very quickly during the deal and they made very few direct flight seats open for this deal.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
Re: Re: Rabbi Marburger Calls Me Out...
« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2012, 10:26:23 AM »
And you got lucky with the Pesach tickets, those prices went shooting up very quickly during the deal and they made very few direct flight seats open for this deal.
Yup, took 3 HUCA'S but I got it.
$1700 for four tickets to Israel for Pesach, direct one way. Can't beat that.

And where are those numbers from? You had 135,000 people visit the site and many people booked more than 5 tickets, yet less than ten thousand tickets were booked?

Offline chaimmayer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2012, 10:28:03 AM »
I could make some jokes on the matter, but I think some people on this forum would find them to be distasteful...

I think you mean Oina'ah.
Was just listening to a shiur on onah and he kept on calling it ona'ah.  I told someone afterwards maybe the mitzva is only 1/6 of the time.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2012, 10:40:52 AM »
Yup, took 3 HUCA'S but I got it.
$1700 for four tickets to Israel for Pesach, direct one way. Can't beat that.

And where are those numbers from? You had 135,000 people visit the site and many people booked more than 5 tickets, yet less than ten thousand tickets were booked?

5,000 is what some newspapers reported and 9,000 is what El Al reps have told some people.
I doubt we'll ever see an official number, but regardless of traffic the majority was probably just curious to search but not to actually book.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2012, 10:42:10 AM »
5,000 is what some newspapers reported and 9,000 is what El Al reps have told some people.
I doubt we'll ever see an official number, but regardless of traffic the majority was probably just curious to search but not to actually book.
Do you have an idea of how many people booked through your expedia link?

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2012, 10:43:28 AM »
Do you have an idea of how many people booked through your expedia link?
Lol alot of it was by word of mouth so I dont think it would mean anything.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2012, 10:45:48 AM »
Lol alot of it was by word of mouth so I dont think it would mean anything.
Besides for people booking at cheaptickets and other sites, etc.  And most of the time my site wasn't even up.
But I can try to dig up some info.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
Rabbi Marburger Calls Me Out...
« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2012, 11:00:49 AM »
Besides for people booking at cheaptickets and other sites, etc.  And most of the time my site wasn't even up.
But I can try to dig up some info.

I don't think you did anything wrong. Why can't ppl Fagin others.  It's so sad. If someone has an issue whh can't they just call dan and give him musser to his face.   It just sounds off

With that said, maybe someone explain me forsure this; even if el al becomes the most profitable airline ever bec of this saga, is there still Onah (אונה) on the tickets? Or does the money they make bec of this, lessen the fact that the actual ticket was cheaper and take away of the issue of onaaahhhh

Offline Yosel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2012, 11:42:27 AM »
wasnt the price mistake, due ommiting the taxes??? and therfore its a loss for a few goverments (stop overs) ,, and i bet that this Rabbi never screwed the goverment.............

Offline Q274

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: barely
« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2012, 11:48:06 AM »

3. I am conjecturing?!?
With all due respect my entire point here is that Rabbi Marburger is the one conjecturing.
He conjectured that I directly caused a loss to my own brother of millions upon millions of dollars when:

A. I guarantee you there is no such loss.  This is not some good being made and sold at a loss or hiring of a wagon driver to take just you at a loss. 

Most people have switched to the nonstop flight with capacity controls put into place onto each flight (with flights expected to sell out not being offered at all) so that there is practically no marginal cost of flying someone and the $480-$680 they paid with the upgrade fee is actually a nice profit on customers who otherwise would never have flown to Israel, let alone nonstop on El Al. 

i am NOT saying what you did was wrong (i myself told many people abt your site that day) but i am curious abt the following, it keeps on coming up here that el al isnt losing anything because it doesnt cost them that much..... BUT perhaps, a loss of a gain is considered a loss in such a situation. and it is hard for me to believe that if you add up all the income they got thus far on these tickets for this rate, and you add what they would have gotten (al pi derech hatevah, meaning how full they have been in the past at that particular time) i strongly believe the 2nd number would be significantly higher- could be that is called a loss.

on a side note, i do appreciate the way it seems like you are well thought out (wether it was thought out b4 you tweeted or only now that the rabbi brought it up) to me it is impressive.

on a VERY side note perhaps all this "bashing" of the rabbi for his motzei shem rah, might very well be lashan hora in it of itself (and yes my saying it is lashon harah might be lashan hara....)

With that said, maybe someone explain me forsure this; even if el al becomes the most profitable airline ever bec of this saga, is there still Onah (אונה) on the tickets? Or does the money they make bec of this, lessen the fact that the actual ticket was cheaper and take away of the issue of onaaahhhh
imho i doubt it

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2012, 11:52:09 AM »
wasnt the price mistake, due ommiting the taxes??? and therfore its a loss for a few goverments (stop overs) ,, and i bet that this Rabbi never screwed the goverment.............
Why does everyone keep saying this? All Government taxes were paid!!! Who started this rumor?

Besides if they weren't, do you think they would let Elal take off before they were?
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2012, 11:53:35 AM »
A loss of a potential larger gain is considered a monetary loss in halacha? Source?

And what they would have gotten? The vast majority of these people would otherwise not be going, even among those who would have otherwise gone would likely have flown on another cheaper (via Europe) or better airline (United, etc) and a seat that goes out empty gets them ZERO revenue.  This earned them some $480-$680 of revenue, which is a whole lot better than nothing!  How can one presume to possibly calculate the loss of potential gain of revenue in this scenario?  Not even El Al can figure that one out.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #195 on: August 21, 2012, 11:55:27 AM »
A loss of a potential larger gain is considered a monetary loss in halacha? Source?

And what they would have gotten? The vast majority of these people would otherwise not be going, even among those who would have otherwise gone would likely have flown on another cheaper (via Europe) or better airline (United, etc) and a seat that goes out empty gets them ZERO revenue.  This earned them some $480-$680 or revenue!  How can one presume to possibly calculate the loss of potential gain of revenue?
Plus, lower remaining available seats = higer booking classes = more $$$ on remaining seats
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline Q274

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: barely
« Reply #196 on: August 21, 2012, 12:02:38 PM »

none i was asking.

i happen to know it is a hock in the gemara dont recall where- will find out iyh

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 21, 2012, 12:18:50 PM »
none i was asking.

i happen to know it is a hock in the gemara dont recall where- will find out iyh
In other areas of halacha, such as dsvar ha'aved on chol hamoed, menias revach is not considered a loss

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 21, 2012, 12:48:40 PM »
Listen, in the end of the day I'm moichel the Rabbi. Chassidim don't generally ask mechila as it's obvious that one shouldn't hold a grudge and that every yid is moichel his brother.

Not that I wouldn't mind getting an email or phone call discussing the situation, but that's not something I need.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 21, 2012, 12:57:04 PM »
Listen, in the end of the day I'm moichel the Rabbi. 

Not that I wouldn't mind getting an email or phone call discussing the situation, but that's not something I need.

kol hakavode for that dan, your a good jew!

dan, up untill he decided to talk about hashkafa, it sounds ok, nothing against him, he is a rav and he said HIS psak, but once he starts getting into hashkafo, and its directed only to you, i see why it doesnt sit well,

dan, every posek says different things, for example i heard a pask from a rav where i daven on shabb that says that r' eliyashiv hold standing in front of a fan on shabb your oiver on nolad, does r' shlomo zalmen agree? no... so every rav says diff psakim, so i can understand him that he has HIS psak,

when he says its assur if you know the airline is loosing money....serisouly, if i booked you think i knew the airline is loosing money, or even thought about it.... so its b'shogeg and el al said no prob, so bam, its all yours. he said it himself, he just happens not to fullu know all the intricate details of the situation
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 02:21:08 PM by rots5 »