Author Topic: Rabbi Marburger Calls Me Out...  (Read 72158 times)

Offline SGF

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle
Re: Rabbi Marburger Calls Me Out...
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 10:50:36 PM »
- its clearly a case of 'zeh nehene veze lo chaser'

- what he is saying only applies if its a totally jewish owned company

- at the time elal claimed it wasent them who made the mistake it was a third party

- maybe elal will try to get the 3rd party to pay for what they lost so they only will end up gaining. (unless they already tried and they lost)

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 10:53:31 PM »
Lets pretend he's right. (I'm not going there, im just saying)
Now who said that Dan even knew that it was Elal making the mistake, and not AA or someone else (orbitz)?
Did you know right away when you tweeted that it was Elal's mistake?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 10:55:59 PM »
Did you know right away when you tweeted that it was Elal's mistake?
It wasn't El Al's mistake in the end-it was their contractor's.  As to what that means, IANAL.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 10:57:51 PM »
This wasn't a 17% off deal, nor even a 50% off deal, this was apprx a 70% off deal in some cases.
Jetblue has run 70% off sales.
I've seen $99 transcon fares that are normally $399.
This is a very funny business with pricing that is anything but linear or rational (see hidden city ticketing where NYC-CLE is $700 but NYC-CLE-PIT is $49), the idea of there being a correct price is laughable...which is precisely the reason for the DOT regulation.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 11:02:05 PM »
It wasn't El Al's mistake in the end-it was their contractor's.  As to what that means, IANAL.
Well, he compared you of taking advantage of a brother for your sister's benefit. But if you didn't know that it was taking advantage of your brother...then whats his point?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 11:02:44 PM »
Well, he compared you of taking advantage of a brother for your sister's benefit. But if you didn't know that it was taking advantage of your brother...then whats his point?
No idea.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 11:04:30 PM »

Don't you think (El Al is going to end up suing and) the contractor will end up taking the loss, not El Al?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 11:05:58 PM »
Don't you think (El Al is going to end up suing and) the contractor will end up taking the loss, not El Al?
No clue. IANAL.

Offline asd

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2012, 11:09:40 PM »
Dan the issue here is did you ask a shailah before you tweeted it ,and if not should you have. R Marburger is a competent dayan (well respected in lakewood)so there is realisticly at least 2 tzedodim here and as smart as you are you still cannot pasken a choshen mishput shailah

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2012, 11:12:15 PM »
Dan the issue here is did you ask a shailah before you tweeted it ,and if not should you have. R Marburger is a competent dayan (well respected in lakewood)so there is realisticly at least 2 tzedodim here and as smart as you are you still cannot pasken a choshen mishput shailah
He may be a competent dayan but he doesn't have a full grasp of the issues as I outlined, he assumes that I know who's mistake this was, and yes, I'll be waiting for the apology for the lashon hara.

Frankly he may have done well to contact me first...

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »
It could be he didn't/doesn't know all the details and in's and out's like Dan does... Which seems apparent from the fact that he didn't address the above mentioned points Dan made.

Also smicha allows one to paskan. No?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline asd

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2012, 11:17:48 PM »
really did dan learn the entire laws of choshen mishput

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2012, 11:20:03 PM »
You can be the most learned person in the entire world, but without having a clear grasp on all of the facts of the particular case in question it's meaningless.

I don't claim to be anyone's posek, but if someone is going to publicly call me out they had better know all the facts and then authoritatively call me out.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Rabbi Marburger Calls Me Out...
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2012, 11:21:48 PM »
Frankly he may have done well to contact me first...
I think this point is the only 100% true point in this from any of the sides
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2012, 11:23:02 PM »
Really is that what I asked? Did Rabbi Marburger look into the airline industry first? He said himself he doesn't even know the price of a ticket to Israel. I'd be embarrassed to give such a shiur and paskan a halacha not knowing the in's and out's. You make it like Dan can't pasken but the person who did didn't even know what he was talking about and made a rule for all kalal yisroel as an authoritative figure. I see some hypocrisy in that. Excuse my ignorance. I don't mean to be rude or challenge his authority just I am at a loss for understanding this 1 case. I would love an explanation.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2012, 11:24:31 PM »
No clue. IANAL.

You don't have an ("off the record") assumption one way or another?

I'm asking because if the (presumably) non-Jewish-owned subcontractor takes the loss, then I don't think the conclusions you quoted in the OP still holds water (even if you assume it's otherwise valid).

He may be a competent dayan but he doesn't have a full grasp of the issues as I outlined, he assumes that I know who's mistake this was, and yes, I'll be waiting for the apology for the lashon hara.

If he's wrong (not saying he is) it's Hotsa'as shem ra.

One other thing (for anyone who listened to the whole thing): Did Rabbi Marburger qualify his conclusions saying he's voicing his opinion, or how he see's things, his understanding etc.?

Just a P.s. I love how people (Rabbis included) casually define "Dina Demalchusa Dina" ad-hoc. What are their sources? (I'm not just referring to the OP, some DDFers (not to compare them to Rabbi Marburger) acted similarly recently)

Offline asd

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2012, 11:26:09 PM »
i was just responding to the question if you can pasken chosen mishput and you never answered my question did you or should have you asked a shailah and it would be helpful to your readers to knowif we could rely on you that based on the fact that you are an upstanding frum jew do you have halachic backing .

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2012, 11:27:08 PM »
You don't have an ("off the record") assumption one way or another?

I'm asking because if the (presumably) non-Jewish-owned subcontractor takes the loss, then I don't think the conclusions you quoted in the OP still holds water (even if you assume it's otherwise valid).

If he's wrong (not saying he is) it's Hotsa'as shem ra.
I'm sure El Al will try to sue them or settle with them.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2012, 11:28:55 PM »
i was just responding to the question if you can pasken chosen mishput and you never answered my question did you or should have you asked a shailah and it would be helpful to your readers to knowif we could rely on you that based on the fact that you are an upstanding frum jew ever you have halachic backing .

Do you ask a shaila every time you post on DDF? If Dan didn't (and doesn't) see anything wrong with his posting the deal, then why (or what?) should he have asked?

I'm sure El Al will try to sue them or settle with them.

I think so too. Do we know if they're a Jewish company?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2012, 11:29:22 PM »
i was just responding to the question if you can pasken chosen mishput and you never answered my question did you or should have you asked a shailah and it would be helpful to your readers to knowif we could rely on you that based on the fact that you are an upstanding frum jew do you have halachic backing .
Please direct where you asked anyone if Dan can pasken chosen mishpat??? (All you said is that is the issue that's a far cry from a directed question) Also if you don't quote anyone know one knows who you are talking to...