Author Topic: Rabbi Marburger Calls Me Out...  (Read 72151 times)

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
Re: Re: Rabbi Marburger Calls Me Out...
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2012, 10:31:54 AM »
What about the first part of his sentence agreeing that you sound like a menuval
I have no clue what a menuval sounds like.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Rabbi Marburger Calls Me Out...
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2012, 10:56:52 AM »
This is a completely ignorant question, but it could apply to this case. What is the deal with earning interest from a company that has Jewish stock owners? Or an Israeli bank? Does it go after the majority, or even if one Jew or one goy owns stock it can change the halacha li'chumra or li'kula? Same idea with being open on shabbos is it transferred to the goy as to avoid being oyver an issur. Maybe so too here the losses are transferred to a goy, see Jews aren't oyver (according to those that say they are...) Could any of that apply to this case?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline mek

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2012, 11:29:18 AM »
This is a completely ignorant question, but it could apply to this case. What is the deal with earning interest from a company that has Jewish stock owners? Or an Israeli bank? Does it go after the majority, or even if one Jew or one goy owns stock it can change the halacha li'chumra or li'kula? Same idea with being open on shabbos is it transferred to the goy as to avoid being oyver an issur. Maybe so too here the losses are transferred to a goy, see Jews aren't oyver (according to those that say they are...) Could any of that apply to this case?

Shouldnt be any different than owning elal shares to begin with being that they operate on shabbos or any other company that operates on shabbos. You say the profits of that day goes to the goy so here too if there even was a loss it should be transferred to the goy's ownership

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2012, 11:43:14 AM »
Maybe leave the halachik discussions for the rabbis
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2012, 12:58:07 PM »
Maybe leave the halachik discussions for the rabbis
It's a problem for yiden to have a discussion in Torah? Here I thought the Torah was given to all of us. And how do you know who is or isn't a Rabbi?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2012, 01:08:53 PM »
Shouldnt be any different than owning elal shares to begin with being that they operate on shabbos or any other company that operates on shabbos. You say the profits of that day goes to the goy so here too if there even was a loss it should be transferred to the goy's ownership

I'd argue it's different. There's a heter for a company to operate on Shabbos (there are probably certain conditions) if a non-Jew owns more than 1/7th (~14.1%) of the company. Perhaps it has to somehow be written into the company's by-laws/ownership agreement. I don't know if the same heter would apply to banks/ribbis, I think not. This is discussed a lot as it's relevant for practically every bank loan in Israel, googling found me this article, there are probably many more.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Rabbi Marburger Calls Me Out...
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2012, 01:25:46 PM »
It's a problem for yiden to have a discussion in Torah? Here I thought the Torah was given to all of us. And how do you know who is or isn't a Rabbi?
I was just saying that he seems not to know much about the subject, and everything seems like a boich sevara. schar shabbos is a very complicated area of halacha and it seems silly to pontificate without any basis
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
Anyone have an idea if there is a chiyuv hashuvas aveidoh to a non-frum Jew?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2012, 02:34:08 PM »

Why not?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2012, 02:36:06 PM »
Why not?
They haven't paid the club membership dues ;)     JK

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2012, 02:37:18 PM »
A mumer?

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2012, 02:37:46 PM »

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2012, 02:39:12 PM »
Anyone with solid knowledge? No svures.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2012, 02:40:12 PM »
Anyone with solid knowledge? No svures.
Just ask citi.

Offline elikay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2012, 02:42:56 PM »
I heard from someone who was at this shiur (a Chabura in Monsey), and he said that the Rabbi is well aware of the points which Dan made, and still stands by his P'sak, and Hashkafa.

Offline Jkhein

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2012, 02:51:15 PM »
Just ask citi.
Oh please, seriously.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2012, 02:57:44 PM »
I heard from someone who was at this shiur (a Chabura in Monsey), and he said that the Rabbi is well aware of the points which Dan made, and still stands by his P'sak, and Hashkafa.
That l"h is allowed? J/k.

That's interesting. Why didn't he address them in the shiur then? Will he be writing an essay about it any time?

Oh please, seriously.
Um no, But doesn't mean when a crazy guy, who makes stuff up as if they are fact, asks for a halacha to be paskened and doesn't want any svaras would expect a serious answer.

@Meshug nothing personal just saying it how I see it.

Offline ceejay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2012, 03:24:45 PM »
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2015180849_apuswhyfaresarehigher.html
Interesting I wonder how accurate that is because that means on tickets to LA they are losing money very often. I don't understand how those numbers could all be accurate. Also Interesting that the aircraft lease is only 5% that would play into the Rabbi's shiur...

Offline rots5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2012, 03:25:56 PM »

i know there is a very big question by bishul of a mumer/non frum jew, r' shlomo zalmen has a huge tewshuva about a person who goes to thier parents who are not frum can he eat there? can he cook in thier ovens? even more so can a non-frum person cook something for you? its not going to be considered bishul akum, but its still a chishash that they might not know what there doing, do they have neamanus?

wonder if you can make the comparison to this as well, maybe there is no chiyuv, just like by a goy, is there a chiyuv?! but def a kiddush hashem,

and personally, i think that if el al wanted not to honor the deal they couldve so i dont understand how that there can be an issue to begin with, my parents own a very large bookstore, and sometimes, on their online orders there is a mistake and the costumer's total price will be 0 or even a lot less, and either my parents can honor the mistake or say im sorry; obviously that is the incorrect price and pls be aware that there was a mistake, though we will give you 10% off, and they have this every so often, so why is anyone saying that there is an issue at all? el al will go sue expedia etc.. what do they care, as dan stated, it costs the,m  litt nil to fly
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.