Author Topic: Ticket to Israel-urgent pls. help  (Read 2685 times)

Offline Rebuzn

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Ticket to Israel-urgent pls. help
« on: March 23, 2010, 07:17:29 PM »
I need a ticket to Israel for the summer zman. I plan on using my Amex Gold Card's points I have accumalated. I live in ny but can go to philly or toronto if need be. Any ideas how to use the least amount of points or get the cheapest flight. Is there any shtick I can pull with opening a new cc and getting a lot of points. Sorry for not being very specific about any idea, but I am pretty ignorant when it comes to these things.
Thanks!

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Ticket to Israel-urgent pls. help
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 07:20:40 PM »
here you have it pretty much covered http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=1421.0

Offline Rebuzn

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 09:06:39 PM »
Im sorry I don't understand some of the terms used in the link. (that's how basic I am). What does it mean to transfer the points throughout an alliance. If you have the time, please write somewhat of a step by step process how I should book my tick.
Thanks!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 10:15:27 PM »
How many points/miles do you have?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline MarkS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 09:32:39 AM »
I am not the origional poster of this thread but i need help too. I have 40k SPG (Which =50k airline miles) and hopefully will soon have 30k Amex MR. What is the cheapest way to get roundtrip from NY to Israel for Sukkos?? From reading some older posts it seems that with some airlines (Alitalia for ex) 50k is enough. How do I decide which Airline to choose? What are my best options? I assume the first step is checking availability with airlines?? Do i just call Alitalia for ex. and ask what dates/flights can be redeemed for 50k? Do I call the other skyteam members also and if any have avail I just transfer to Alitalia and then book?? How much should I expect to pay in $$ aside from the points??  I am new at this and it is soo confusing. Basically, what is the cheapest option, and how do i go about it??  Thanks to whoever can assist. 

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 01:03:38 PM »
I am not the origional poster of this thread but i need help too. I have 40k SPG (Which =50k airline miles) and hopefully will soon have 30k Amex MR. What is the cheapest way to get roundtrip from NY to Israel for Sukkos?? From reading some older posts it seems that with some airlines (Alitalia for ex) 50k is enough. How do I decide which Airline to choose? What are my best options? I assume the first step is checking availability with airlines?? Do i just call Alitalia for ex. and ask what dates/flights can be redeemed for 50k? Do I call the other skyteam members also and if any have avail I just transfer to Alitalia and then book?? How much should I expect to pay in $$ aside from the points??  I am new at this and it is soo confusing. Basically, what is the cheapest option, and how do i go about it??  Thanks to whoever can assist. 

youre asking the wrong question, instead of asking for the cheapest option (non-Rule Buster) you should be asking is there still anything available. most choice dates are already gone and those that remain will probably mean at best a 12 hr layover at the European connecting city

step 1 = figure out which dates you are willing to fly

step 2 = which dates you cantfly (for whatever reason)

step 3 = call the different programs to see what if anything they have or use thier websites if you know how to

the problem is usually CO is best for cashing in for *A but SPG to CO or UA is 2 SPG = 1 mile not very good at all and you wont have enough to get anything, AA (OW) also you wont have enough

So you are down to ST DL is 80k but youd never see TLV for that at best 130k so Alitilia is probably your best bet

Offline queensdeals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 01:46:12 PM »

step 3 = call the different programs to see what if anything they have or use thier websites if you know how to

the problem is usually CO is best for cashing in for *A but SPG to CO or UA is 2 SPG = 1 mile not very good at all and you wont have enough to get anything, AA (OW) also you wont have enough

Steve----
ANA?
Aeroplan?
US airways?
...all 1:1 and all *A?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 02:02:50 PM »

Steve----
ANA?
Aeroplan?
US airways?
...all 1:1 and all *A?

the best is CO for availability and no extra fees ($$$) to pay IMO

to be honest I use my *W pts for the Hotels and not for airline tkts, but then again I have enough miles in all 3 Alliances to take care of my needs, as I need to pay for tkts to maintain my 1k status with UA every yr and yes that means crediting to UA who has Star Blocking

I think both ANA and Aeroplan have expirations that arent long periods of time

But in any case I always suggest for aperson to 1st FIND what is workable for them before moving anything anywhere, the downside to this is by the time you do move it the flights you saw are now gone

Offline Mikeoracle

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
US might have the possibility of putting the itin on hold until the points vome through- I believe they give you 3 days.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 02:19:46 PM »
US might have the possibility of putting the itin on hold until the points vome through- I believe they give you 3 days.

Not familiar with US, but do they have any availaibity for Succos time? US does require more Miles I believe and they do charge a service fee of $20 I think per res (or is it per person ?)

how are they with booking you with another *A carrier and any fefes for doing so , surcharges?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 04:32:39 PM »
You can hold a ticket for unlimited time with US (see my Europe 2009 planning thread).

Tickets to TLV are 80K coach/120K business.

They don't have a phone fee for Star Alliance tickets but they do charge $50/ticket "processing fee" to Europe/TLV.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.