Author Topic: Reducing/dropping credit line  (Read 3518 times)

Offline eitang

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Reducing/dropping credit line
« on: August 29, 2012, 01:49:11 PM »
I am new to the whole cc churning business. Will it significantly hurt my credit if i try to reduce my credit line amount or cancel a card without transfering over the credit line? The reason i ask is bec i dont want to have too much cl so that i dont get an FR or AA. Thanks for helping a new guy out!

Offline eitang

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Reducing/dropping credit line
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 01:50:28 PM »
And how would i go about doing that? Just call the cc company up and ask to reduce the current credit line on a card?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 03:53:19 PM »
And how would i go about doing that? Just call the cc company up and ask to reduce the current credit line on a card?

You can call and ask, or transfer some of the CL from one card and close it (and forfeit the remaining CL).

BTW, you can use the button to edit your post within 2/3 hours.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 12:27:03 AM »
I was considering doing the same...

This latest round of apps has...disquieted me.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline daveb

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 12:45:56 AM »
If yo u have a card with an annual fee or you just want to get rid of a card just ask to downgrade it.  For example is you have a spg amex card ask to downgrade it to a fee free card like the amex blue card.  That way you haven't closed a credit line and you can still get the card again later.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 12:47:55 AM »
If yo u have a card with an annual fee or you just want to get rid of a card just ask to downgrade it.  For example is you have a spg amex card ask to downgrade it to a fee free card like the amex blue card.  That way you haven't closed a credit line and you can still get the card again later.

???
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline compddd

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 12:49:23 AM »
I was thinking about closing my sapphire pref and transferring half of the CL to my Freedom to get ready for more apps down the road

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 07:18:44 AM »

Doesn't help. The credit line is still there, adding to your potential risk in the eyes of Amex and Chase.

Offline eitang

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 10:45:56 AM »
Doesn't help. The credit line is still there, adding to your potential risk in the eyes of Amex and Chase.

Right. That is my concern. I am not trying to keep the credit line i am trying to get rid of it. My problem is that when i first got some cards i thought it was good to grt as big of a credit line as possible. I opened up a chase sapphire preferred while closing another. Ard and transferring the old credit line to the sapphire and now have a 19k credit line on that card. That is already a decent percentage of my current income and i dont want to get flagged.  No one knows a safe percentage of credit line compared with reported income where you wont get flagged? I looked around the forums and it seems like nobody really knows for sure.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 11:31:55 AM »
I opened up a chase sapphire preferred while closing another. Ard and transferring the old credit line to the sapphire and now have a 19k credit line on that card.

Side note: your TOTAL credit lines across all cards, from all banks, is what matters. It doesn't make a difference if it's one card with 20k, or 5 cards with 4k each. Doesn't matter if they're all from Chase, or some Chase and some Amex.

#justsayin

Offline eitang

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 11:50:32 AM »
So do you think it is wise to cancel one of my cards which currently has 4k cl on it before i try to do a 2bm or 3bm with chase? (thinking about gettin the 2 united cards btw and looking for a 3rd good one for me). Will dropping this 4k hurt my credit that badly? How do you guys keep opening and moving lines from one card to the other not build up a huge/risky credit line? Can i open a card, move one cl to that one and not take on an additional cl from opening the new card? Sorry for all the questions.

Offline myb821

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 11:51:38 AM »
So do you think it is wise to cancel one of my cards which currently has 4k cl on it before i try to do a 2bm or 3bm with chase? (thinking about gettin the 2 united cards btw and looking for a 3rd good one for me). Will dropping this 4k hurt my credit that badly? How do you guys keep opening and moving lines from one card to the other not build up a huge/risky credit line? Can i open a card, move one cl to that one and not take on an additional cl from opening the new card? Sorry for all the questions.
I would first apply in case they dont want to approve you and then after that decide what cl u want to drop. Especially since it seems chase has really slowed down on the A/A's

Offline eitang

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 10:46:03 AM »
So I tried my first 3bm ever today with chase (United Club, United Explorer and Freedom). Only the United club got approved instantly and I called them up and they said I can only open 2 cards within 30 days so I should choose between opening the Explorer or the Freedom. I chose the Explorer and moved some credit from another card to open it up. The thing that I am really not happy about though is that The United Club card, by being approved instantly online, added an additional new $9,500 credit line that I couldn't do anything about (I asked to move from an old card instead but they said it was already approved and nothing I could do about it). So now....my credit line is even higher  >:(

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 11:05:24 AM »
So I tried my first 3bm ever today with chase (United Club, United Explorer and Freedom). Only the United club got approved instantly and I called them up and they said I can only open 2 cards within 30 days so I should choose between opening the Explorer or the Freedom. I chose the Explorer and moved some credit from another card to open it up. The thing that I am really not happy about though is that The United Club card, by being approved instantly online, added an additional new $9,500 credit line that I couldn't do anything about (I asked to move from an old card instead but they said it was already approved and nothing I could do about it). So now....my credit line is even higher  >:(
first of all call back and get the freedom approved u will be able to probably u can offer for them  to take half the credit from the club to approve the freedom u can also offer to close ur old card to open the freedom. then after that u can close the old card

Offline compddd

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 11:18:08 AM »
Never believe the only 2 cards in 30 days thing unless it's Citi

Offline eitang

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 11:38:23 AM »
Thanks guys! Called back and got approved for the freedom by closing an old card. I asked how many credit pulls were done and she just generically answered that every time you apply for a card there is a pull so 3 for 3 cards....I dont think she actually looked at each card to see so I dont know if the 3 bm method actually worked for me. Hope it did....used ie, chrome and firefox in incognito etc etc and pressed the buttons at the same time.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 11:41:01 AM »
Thanks guys! Called back and got approved for the freedom by closing an old card. I asked how many credit pulls were done and she just generically answered that every time you apply for a card there is a pull so 3 for 3 cards....I dont think she actually looked at each card to see so I dont know if the 3 bm method actually worked for me. Hope it did....used ie, chrome and firefox in incognito etc etc and pressed the buttons at the same time.

Churn Citi Identity Monitor to find out.

Offline statusmiles

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis, Hertz PC, National Exec, SIXT Plat
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 02:04:03 PM »
Churn Citi Identity Monitor to find out.

how often can you churn ?

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 02:24:55 PM »
how often can you churn ?
aprox 45 days