Author Topic: Won a Pair of Courtside Seats at the US OPEN (ARV $490 each) from SPG  (Read 3342 times)

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

SPG is running a giveaway on Twitter for NY/CT/NJ residents to win courtside tickets to the US Open. My luck, I won tickets and would love to go with my wife, but the tickets we won are for the Saturday evening match, scheduled to start at 7pm.

Bummer. What to do? I asked if I could exchange it for a different day, but they are apparently not exchangeable.

See here for rules:  http://bddy.me/RqKr0H 

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
Re: Won a Pair of Courtside Seats at the US OPEN (ARV $490 each) from SPG
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 11:20:43 AM »
SPG is running a giveaway on Twitter for NY/CT/NJ residents to win courtside tickets to the US Open. My luck, I won tickets and would love to go with my wife, but the tickets we won are for the Saturday evening match, scheduled to start at 7pm.

Bummer. What to do? I asked if I could exchange it for a different day, but they are apparently not exchangeable.

See here for rules:  http://bddy.me/RqKr0H 

Per MYB21's advice, I tweeted to SPG to let them know that I would not be able to arrive at the match before the box office close time of 9pm due to Sabbath observance. They were kind enough to overnight the tickets to me and they arrived by Fedex at 1pm on Friday. I then discovered that the actual face value of the tickets were $250 a piece.

I then went on to Craigslist to see whether anyone would be willing to pay me face value for the tickets and pick them up in Brooklyn before candle lighting time.

Sure enough, I received an inquiry from a CEO of a Florida based energy company who wanted to swap his two courtside tickets for tonight's (Sunday 9/2) match for my Saturday match tickets. He sent his driver to Brooklyn and just minutes before Shabbos started, we completed the exchange.

Then, last night I discovered that I could resell my newly acquired tickets using their barcodes at the approved resale Ticketexchange website. I listed them for $500 a piece, then when they did not sell, I lowered the price to $399 this morning. They sold within 2 hours, and I received $678 direct deposited into our bank account. Ticketexchange keeps a 15% commission.

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 11:25:30 AM »
Per MYB21's advice, I tweeted to SPG to let them know that I would not be able to arrive at the match before the box office close time of 9pm due to Sabbath observance. They were kind enough to overnight the tickets to me and they arrived by Fedex at 1pm on Friday. I then discovered that the actual face value of the tickets were $250 a piece.

I then went on to Craigslist to see whether anyone would be willing to pay me face value for the tickets and pick them up in Brooklyn before candle lighting time.

Sure enough, I received an inquiry from a CEO of a Florida based energy company who wanted to swap his two courtside tickets for tonight's (Sunday 9/2) match for my Saturday match tickets. He sent his driver to Brooklyn and just minutes before Shabbos started, we completed the exchange.

Then, last night I discovered that I could resell my newly acquired tickets using their barcodes at the approved resale Ticketexchange website. I listed them for $500 a piece, then when they did not sell, I lowered the price to $399 this morning. They sold within 2 hours, and I received $678 direct deposited into our bank account. Ticketexchange keeps a 15% commission.
thats awesome congrats

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 12:35:18 PM »
Nice!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yossi.

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

Offline DH Data Recovery

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 07:23:26 PM »
sweet!

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 12:15:37 AM »
Did you then buy cheaper tix and go?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 12:17:42 AM »
Why didn't you put them up for best offer here?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 09:57:15 AM »
Did you then buy cheaper tix and go?
No. We opted to instead use a fraction of the money for other entertainment that we enjoy more than professional tennis.

Why didn't you put them up for best offer here?
Firstly, the TicketExchange available at the US Open website works seamlessly because it produces a new downloadable barcoded ticket for the buyer. There is no need to coordinate delivery. Secondly, I suspect that  DDF members are probably not the most ideal market to target with $400 tennis tickets. Though, I could be wrong about that last point...

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 10:52:29 AM »
No. We opted to instead use a fraction of the money for other entertainment that we enjoy more than professional tennis.

Firstly, the TicketExchange available at the US Open website works seamlessly because it produces a new downloadable barcoded ticket for the buyer. There is no need to coordinate delivery. Secondly, I suspect that  DDF members are probably not the most ideal market to target with $400 tennis tickets. Though, I could be wrong about that last point...
Yup. Have business guests from overseas who fly in for this.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 11:40:09 AM »
Yup. Have business guests from overseas who fly in for this.
I stand corrected then. It certainly could not have hurt to have posted them here, I'll know better for next time.

I do wonder though, how likely it is that people fly in from overseas for this but somehow manage to push off buying their tickets until the day of the match. I understand it is possible. There are 2 weeks worth of matches and people may wait until the names of the players are announced for each match before purchasing tickets.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 01:42:26 PM »
I stand corrected then. It certainly could not have hurt to have posted them here, I'll know better for next time.

I do wonder though, how likely it is that people fly in from overseas for this but somehow manage to push off buying their tickets until the day of the match. I understand it is possible. There are 2 weeks worth of matches and people may wait until the names of the players are announced for each match before purchasing tickets.
I was in a rush when I wrote the previous message, and didn't have a chance to correct it. I'm unsure if that's why they flew in

It is very possible they didn't have such good seats, but I'm just pointing out. Whatever.