Author Topic: Removing Scratches From a Car  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
Removing Scratches From a Car
« on: August 30, 2012, 03:47:09 PM »
My car was driven alongside a bush and got a few long scratches along the rear door, and rear fender.

I did a little online research and basically it is fairly easy to remove these scratches.

Basically as long as the scratches only penetrate the clear coat of the car they could easily be removed. This will not work on scratches that go thru the cars paint

This is the kit I bought - $18 and a little elbow grease, and my car looks new again!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 03:54:55 PM by Name Changed »

Offline smurf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
Re: Removing Scratches From a Car
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 06:39:31 PM »
My car was driven alongside a bush and got a few long scratches along the rear door, and rear fender.

I did a little online research and basically it is fairly easy to remove these scratches.

Basically as long as the scratches only penetrate the clear coat of the car they could easily be removed. This will not work on scratches that go thru the cars paint

This is the kit I bought - $18 and a little elbow grease, and my car looks new again!
thanks for the info.
Also why not do S&S and get the kit for $15. interesting item to be eligible for S&S though. maybe amazon is familiar with lakewood

Offline HelpMe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 06:56:15 PM »
One of the best products for light scratches and swirl marks those car washes make. Can be found at auto parts stores.
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G18110
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 07:52:19 PM »
One of the best products for light scratches and swirl marks those car washes make. Can be found at auto parts stores.
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G18110
Will this product remove key scratches?

The product I listed above really works well, a pity I don't have a good before picture to show how it looked before.

Offline Yossi.

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 10:50:45 PM »

The product I listed above really works well, a pity I don't have a good before picture to show how it looked before.
Did u actually use sand paper on the scratch like the video shows on amazon? Worked for key scratches with u?

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 11:58:58 PM »
Did u actually use sand paper on the scratch like the video shows on amazon? Worked for key scratches with u?
Yes, I used the sand paper.
The scratches I had were a few mm wide and were like 2 feet long. As I wrote before it was from driving along side a bush.

Offline Yossi.

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 08:50:30 AM »
Yes, I used the sand paper.
The scratches I had were a few mm wide and were like 2 feet long. As I wrote before it was from driving along side a bush.
Ok. Mine are the same but not more than 1mm wide and also a couple of feet long but the thing is even if they are not deep, they are still white so i m not aure if its only the clear coat that was removed... And i m kind of scared to start sanding my door...

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 09:08:36 AM »
Ok. Mine are the same but not more than 1mm wide and also a couple of feet long but the thing is even if they are not deep, they are still white so i m not aure if its only the clear coat that was removed... And i m kind of scared to start sanding my door...
I was also scared to start, but I was ready to even go to a body shop, so worse case was they would have to fix up what I messed up.

But I started on a small part, and the sand paper is 3000 grit (you have to wet sand) its really fine, it takes only a really thin layer of the clear coat off.

After sanded - the are come dull looking, thats where the compound and buffing comes in

Offline nis965

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 10:12:51 AM »
Ive seen people say to do this for clouded up headlights as well. I used toothpaste and some elbow grease and while it helped it didnt fully restore them. Maybe if I would have used a buffer head on my drill it would have worked better.....

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 10:14:24 AM »
Just use rubbing compond and see what happens. Lot less risk of making it worse.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 10:16:01 AM »
It removes the clear coat just a lot slower than what you are using.