Topic Wiki

You can check your personal application status online here.
You can check your business application status online here.

Barclay reconsideration line: 866-408-4064, Mon-Fri 8AM - 5PM EST.
The 24-hour number is 866-408-4064
New 24 hour number is 866-205-5973
you can finally fax documents to Barclays the number is 866-836-6959

Based on the phone reps, an application usually remains in the system for 90 days, during which you can ask for a reconsideration.
However, if 30 days have passed, it will incur another hard pull.

There have been a few reports of Barclay pulling credit again when reconsidering - even when specifically asked not to.
Make sure to explicitly tell the rep that you don't want another credit pull. The benefit of such action would be that if later you see they did pull your credit you can call up and speak to a manager and have the pulls removed (based on first-hand accounts from this thread).

If you want to guarantee that you don't get another pull, freeze your credit report.

While Barclay recon reps are usually very tough to deal with, there have been sporadic reports of them reconsidering by reallocating credit-line from other cards. Additionally, there are a few reports indicating success with the 3BM.
Personal and biz didn't combine

Barclay recon reps take notes of each phone call and subsequent reps usually regurgitate the previous rep's reply.

Barclays has a 6/24 rule similar to chase 5/24. Not hardcoded like chase though.

Random: see this great article about negotiating tactics with Customer Service Reps.
not working. Found it on the wayback machine https://web.archive.org/web/20161018151314/https://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-negotiator-shares-negotiating-tricks-2015-1/ref=cyberdust.com

Author Topic: Barclays Reconsideration  (Read 359873 times)

Offline Shmulyg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Barclays Reconsideration
« Reply #120 on: May 13, 2013, 06:07:23 PM »
That is my biggest "fear" right now having to call for recon on two cards. Has anyone come across some "magic words" which they like to hear?
AFAIK the best thing they like hearing is that you use their cards very often (granted that that's the case).

Offline magnus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2013, 06:50:48 PM »
More data.

Applied for the 35K US Air card last week (along with Biz PRG and 50K AA).  Got the under review message.  Called and was told that I just applied for 4 cards in February, to which I agreed and explained that I no longer am using 2 of them because I want to switch my business to US Air.  Then he noted that I had only used the NFL card twice and once for AP (oops!).  At which point he said that he wanted to see a longer history with them, so try back in a year.

I called again immediately and the new person saw that I had just talked to the previous guy.  This guy recommended that I build up a 6-12 month history before I try again.

Offline alpicone

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2013, 07:03:31 PM »
Dan mentioned on the main page today that he was able to do a 4bm with Barclays. I wonder if this was recently or before Barclays became so strict. I would imagine he has many active cards and recent applications...

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2013, 08:16:15 PM »
and once for AP (oops!).
You should have explained that AP is the way you pay your suppliers. Legit use in my eyes.

Offline hocker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2013, 08:37:43 PM »
I have a high utilization ratio, anyone know their policy with that?

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2013, 08:44:53 PM »
I have a high utilization ratio, anyone know their policy with that?
No one likes that... It will for sure hurt for instant approval. Not sure regarding recon.

Offline magnus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2013, 01:19:44 AM »
You should have explained that AP is the way you pay your suppliers. Legit use in my eyes.

I'll have to keep that in mind next time.  I just answered "yes". =)

Besides, I figured the total of 2 transactions was probably the bigger detractor.

Offline itsyehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2013, 03:05:10 PM »
WOW is Barclays tough.

Called for Recon on the Miles & More card. American rep, "Tam" or "Pam" but it was a man so not sure. He asked me to verify income verbally, no problem.

Then asked why I opened 5 cards last month (it was actually 6 in my app-o-rama). I stated that I have some home improvement projects starting that I want to track separately.

He tells me: "Well, you used your US Airways card for 2.49 at a dunkin donuts, that's not home improvement". I replied that he asked about the 5 cards, not specifically my Barclays card.

Bottom he analyzed every charge I had made on the card and told me no way to get a card until I establish like 12 months of history with them.

I have very good credit and at least 10 years of perfect payment history.

I asked for a manager, waiting on a callback.

Is there anything to do here? Does HUCA work with these guys? Because I was pretty good on the phone and he still gave me a really hard time.

I remember when a coke was a nickel, and you could buy VRs in OD.

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2013, 04:22:48 PM »
WOW is Barclays tough.

Called for Recon on the Miles & More card. American rep, "Tam" or "Pam" but it was a man so not sure. He asked me to verify income verbally, no problem.

Then asked why I opened 5 cards last month (it was actually 6 in my app-o-rama). I stated that I have some home improvement projects starting that I want to track separately.

He tells me: "Well, you used your US Airways card for 2.49 at a dunkin donuts, that's not home improvement". I replied that he asked about the 5 cards, not specifically my Barclays card.

Bottom he analyzed every charge I had made on the card and told me no way to get a card until I establish like 12 months of history with them.

I have very good credit and at least 10 years of perfect payment history.

I asked for a manager, waiting on a callback.

Is there anything to do here? Does HUCA work with these guys? Because I was pretty good on the phone and he still gave me a really hard time.
Not really (they read each others notes religiously).
What we keep on seeing from Barclays is that they want you to spend on their cards, and not just 2.49 at a dunkin donuts. So unless you can get instant approval, seems the best way to churn Barclays is to use their cards a bit.

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2013, 05:59:57 PM »
Barclays looks at charges all the time!  They're tough.

Offline itsyehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 14, 2013, 06:26:48 PM »
Not really (they read each others notes religiously).
What we keep on seeing from Barclays is that they want you to spend on their cards, and not just 2.49 at a dunkin donuts. So unless you can get instant approval, seems the best way to churn Barclays is to use their cards a bit.

I had used the cards for about 200 worth of spend the day before I called but when I pointed it out he said mockingly that it was general spend and not home improvement spend

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2013, 06:49:13 PM »
I had used the cards for about 200 worth of spend the day before I called but when I pointed it out he said mockingly that it was general spend and not home improvement spend
Fine, but that was already after they red-flagged you for opening too many cards, and you having to give them an excuse. I'm positing that if you occasionally use their cards (not just for the sign-ups), when they review your app they'll be more inclined to approve it as they see you're not in just for the bonuses. Just my two cents...

Offline compddd

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 14, 2013, 07:05:53 PM »
I always make sure to put at least one charge on each of my Barclay cards every month, same with the rest of my CCs.

Offline itsyehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2013, 07:15:25 PM »
Fine, but that was already after they red-flagged you for opening too many cards, and you having to give them an excuse. I'm positing that if you occasionally use their cards (not just for the sign-ups), when they review your app they'll be more inclined to approve it as they see you're not in just for the bonuses. Just my two cents...

Yeah plus my whole account with them is 1 month old and I am trying to get a third card.

I just told them that with ten years of no late payments and high income they shouldn't consider me a risk, but they said opening 5 cards in one month is too risky for them.

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2013, 07:18:21 PM »
Yeah plus my whole account with them is 1 month old and I am trying to get a third card.

I just told them that with ten years of no late payments and high income they shouldn't consider me a risk, but they said opening 5 cards in one month is too risky for them.
They don't buy that. They want to see payment history by "them," i.e. usage of their cards.

Offline PETERP

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 15, 2013, 04:36:40 AM »
They don't buy that. They want to see payment history by "them," i.e. usage of their cards.

+1 Got turned down on request for second card on 2 BM . next appo 3 months later got  turned down
for basically non use of card .

They said bluntly , use card more , and call back in 6 months . Have a $12,500 CL so credit was not an issue .
Barclays is very tough.

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2013, 05:24:05 PM »
Got turned down on my second app

Called Reconsideration and was denied

If I would like to SM them, can I message from my active arrivals card for a us airways card app?

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 20, 2013, 05:28:48 PM »

If I would like to SM them, can I message from my active arrivals card for a us airways card app?

Go for it. Can't hurt to try.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 20, 2013, 05:30:34 PM »

No reports so far on successful Barclays recon via SM (AFAIK). You could give it a try. And yes, obviously the only way to do it would be from your existing card. 

Offline itsyehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 20, 2013, 06:38:07 PM »
No reports so far on successful Barclays recon via SM (AFAIK). You could give it a try. And yes, obviously the only way to do it would be from your existing card.

+1

Barclays is tough.