Topic Wiki

You can check your personal application status online here.
You can check your business application status online here.

Barclay reconsideration line: 866-408-4064, Mon-Fri 8AM - 5PM EST.
The 24-hour number is 866-408-4064
New 24 hour number is 866-205-5973
you can finally fax documents to Barclays the number is 866-836-6959

Based on the phone reps, an application usually remains in the system for 90 days, during which you can ask for a reconsideration.
However, if 30 days have passed, it will incur another hard pull.

There have been a few reports of Barclay pulling credit again when reconsidering - even when specifically asked not to.
Make sure to explicitly tell the rep that you don't want another credit pull. The benefit of such action would be that if later you see they did pull your credit you can call up and speak to a manager and have the pulls removed (based on first-hand accounts from this thread).

If you want to guarantee that you don't get another pull, freeze your credit report.

While Barclay recon reps are usually very tough to deal with, there have been sporadic reports of them reconsidering by reallocating credit-line from other cards. Additionally, there are a few reports indicating success with the 3BM.
Personal and biz didn't combine

Barclay recon reps take notes of each phone call and subsequent reps usually regurgitate the previous rep's reply.

Barclays has a 6/24 rule similar to chase 5/24. Not hardcoded like chase though.

Random: see this great article about negotiating tactics with Customer Service Reps.
not working. Found it on the wayback machine https://web.archive.org/web/20161018151314/https://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-negotiator-shares-negotiating-tricks-2015-1/ref=cyberdust.com

Author Topic: Barclays Reconsideration  (Read 362467 times)

Offline itsyehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Barclays Reconsideration
« Reply #220 on: June 13, 2013, 11:40:05 PM »

Today Barclays told me the same thing when asked to split CL, first time cust and we need to get a history with you.

That's what they say when they reach their limit. But their limit varies. So YMMV.
I remember when a coke was a nickel, and you could buy VRs in OD.

Offline sruly101

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 14, 2013, 07:13:01 AM »
But why wont they give for the first the USair or Luf..?

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #222 on: June 14, 2013, 02:17:45 PM »
did a 2BM with Lufthansa and UsAir cards which was part of my AOR two days ago
USair got approved instantly, and today I called about the Lufthansa card... Of course I said DO NOT pull my credit again, which the guy promised he wouldn't do...
He put me on hold and says "we see 4 credit pulls on your credit report from two days ago and with your good score and history you probably got approved for most of them so we cannot extend you more credit at this time"
I'm a little confused, because I thought if the pulls were on the same day the other banks don't see them...

I would HUCA with them, but IME the reps put notes in the system and even if you call the next rep sees that you already asked and they don't budge...

Offline Feivish

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 14, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
USair got approved instantly, and today I called about the Lufthansa card... Of course I said DO NOT pull my credit again, which the guy promised he wouldn't do...
He put me on hold and says "we see 4 credit pulls on your credit report from two days ago and with your good score and history you probably got approved for most of them so we cannot extend you more credit at this time"
I'm a little confused, because I thought if the pulls were on the same day the other banks don't see them...

I would HUCA with them, but IME the reps put notes in the system and even if you call the next rep sees that you already asked and they don't budge...
4 pulls most likley include one that they just pulled while you were talking to them, so check you report and call them to take it back.

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 14, 2013, 04:46:34 PM »

Pulls can post instantaneously.

Offline Shreknit

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: June 19, 2013, 09:02:46 AM »
My wife has 769 credit with no late payments and a few years history. She just applied for arrivals card last week I checked status online denied. Called Barclays today wouldn't budge because she's opened 5 credit cards in the last 8 months. Huca'd same story they're really brutal. I can't understand why they have a reconsideration department it seems like they never do.

Offline itsyehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 19, 2013, 10:49:30 AM »
My wife has 769 credit with no late payments and a few years history. She just applied for arrivals card last week I checked status online denied. Called Barclays today wouldn't budge because she's opened 5 credit cards in the last 8 months. Huca'd same story they're really brutal. I can't understand why they have a reconsideration department it seems like they never do.

They don't like approving cards for people with little to no history with them, when they have recently applied for a lot of credit. You can usually get one card from them, but getting the next couple of cards is much harder.

Offline bem684

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 19, 2013, 11:17:52 AM »
Did a 2bm with Barclays for my wife recently.  Lufthansa and USAir.  I tried to submit Lufthansa first but accidentaly skipped the email field.  I didnt realize that before I submitted the USAir and it got instant approval.  Once I fixed and submitted Lufthansa, it went to pending.  I'll be calling recon next week probably.  I have to call Chase, Amex, and BofA recons also for my wife lol.

And I plan on applying for 4-6 cards for myself this week.  Going to be a busy week or two on the phone with banks.

(Out of the 7 apps I did for her, I only made one mistake - missing that email field on the Lufthansa card, and I only got one instant approval, the USAir.)

Offline PETERP

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 21, 2013, 09:27:33 AM »
You are not getting the point -- I got a card-- technically why would it matter to give another one (with the same CL but split between 2 cards).
Their exposure will be the same. The fact pulls didn't prevent them from giving me one-- tells me that there probably is unofficial rule not to give to unless you already have one with them

Have one US wityh $12k   for 9 months and was told twice I dont spend enough on it to get another 6 months and 3 months ago.

Spent on it for 3 months and tried again yesterday after spending on it $1k per month for last 3 months and paying on statement close date

CSR said she would split the CL and open new US air card , put me on hold and came back and said cant do it .

Various reasons new cards blah blah etc. I told her if they don't want my biz there are plenty of other banks sending me offers every day in the mail

Cancelled card in spite  all the apologies from them

Not worth the aggravation in my case at least   

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #229 on: June 21, 2013, 09:33:44 AM »
Have one US wityh $12k   for 9 months and was told twice I dont spend enough on it to get another 6 months and 3 months ago.

Spent on it for 3 months and tried again yesterday after spending on it $1k per month for last 3 months and paying on statement close date

CSR said she would split the CL and open new US air card , put me on hold and came back and said cant do it .

Various reasons new cards blah blah etc. I told her if they don't want my biz there are plenty of other banks sending me offers every day in the mail

Cancelled card in spite  all the apologies from them

Not worth the aggravation in my case at least

I'm wondering if it's worth my time that I'm spending on my Barclays card?

Offline PETERP

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 21, 2013, 10:13:33 AM »
I'm wondering if it's worth my time that I'm spending on my Barclays card?

I decided it wasnt . Negotiated every point . First she said did not spend enough. Told her I was out of the country and last Recon person told me call back in 3 months . She said that was wrong info .
Have to wait 9 months to a year .

Then she told me cant open 2 of the same card after she had told me she was going to split my 12K CL and open it before she put me on hold .

Told me I see you opened 10 cards in last year .  I told her I got 20 offers and every card has different benefits . Trust me I made a good case. They are bait and switch outfit .

Banks  keep sending me checks to make a transfer . Chase manager begs me to become private client and get offers all the time in email for cards

Even get offers for cards I have now such as Citi American with point total and new total after getting card from Citi .

Told her they obviously don't want my business and I dont want to do biz with them because they don't make any sense .  Felt good to be in charge of the conversation

Had to insist on closing the card they tried to get me to keep it 

Bye Bye Barclays

Too tough and a waste of my time

Offline sruly101

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 21, 2013, 11:01:16 AM »
+1. but they have some good cards....... :-\

Offline Feivish

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 21, 2013, 11:45:11 AM »
+1. but they have some good cards....... :-\
Specially the US Airways card that will be gone once merger with AA is complete.

Offline PETERP

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 21, 2013, 01:38:09 PM »
Specially the US Airways card that will be gone once merger with AA is complete.

That is why I applied for it .  :D

Offline sruly101

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 22, 2013, 04:05:34 PM »
Amnd the LH with 50K is also a great offer.......

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 22, 2013, 04:22:30 PM »
The Arrival card is quite good as well, at least for the first year.

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 24, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
Any advice if it's better to call them up while it's still pending (but they'll see multiple apps), or to wait to see if the computer gives approval?

Offline jaywhy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 24, 2013, 11:49:59 AM »
Any advice if it's better to call them up while it's still pending (but they'll see multiple apps), or to wait to see if the computer gives approval?
IME, They didn't mention both of my applications once one was approved, leading me to believe that they don't see it once it is approved. They had previously mentioned both of my apps every time I called in to get the first one approved.

Offline itsyehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 24, 2013, 02:47:14 PM »

IME, They didn't mention both of my applications once one was approved, leading me to believe that they don't see it once it is approved. They had previously mentioned both of my apps every time I called in to get the first one approved.

They look at current apps, recent apps, number of cards, spending on the cards, what you spent the cards on, other credit cards.

They're absolutely ridiculous.

Offline jaywhy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 24, 2013, 02:55:39 PM »

They look at current apps, recent apps, number of cards, spending on the cards, what you spent the cards on, other credit cards.

They're absolutely ridiculous.
You are -1 ing my experience with them?
I went through the same ordeal with them mentioning my recent apps, credit lines, both applications....
I am reporting that of the three times I called in after I got the first one approved, they didn't mention the other application, whereas they had mentioned it every time I called in before the first approval.