Topic Wiki

You can check your personal application status online here.
You can check your business application status online here.

Barclay reconsideration line: 866-408-4064, Mon-Fri 8AM - 5PM EST.
The 24-hour number is 866-408-4064
New 24 hour number is 866-205-5973
you can finally fax documents to Barclays the number is 866-836-6959

Based on the phone reps, an application usually remains in the system for 90 days, during which you can ask for a reconsideration.
However, if 30 days have passed, it will incur another hard pull.

There have been a few reports of Barclay pulling credit again when reconsidering - even when specifically asked not to.
Make sure to explicitly tell the rep that you don't want another credit pull. The benefit of such action would be that if later you see they did pull your credit you can call up and speak to a manager and have the pulls removed (based on first-hand accounts from this thread).

If you want to guarantee that you don't get another pull, freeze your credit report.

While Barclay recon reps are usually very tough to deal with, there have been sporadic reports of them reconsidering by reallocating credit-line from other cards. Additionally, there are a few reports indicating success with the 3BM.
Personal and biz didn't combine

Barclay recon reps take notes of each phone call and subsequent reps usually regurgitate the previous rep's reply.

Barclays has a 6/24 rule similar to chase 5/24. Not hardcoded like chase though.

Random: see this great article about negotiating tactics with Customer Service Reps.
not working. Found it on the wayback machine https://web.archive.org/web/20161018151314/https://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-negotiator-shares-negotiating-tricks-2015-1/ref=cyberdust.com

Author Topic: Barclays Reconsideration  (Read 362457 times)

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Barclays Reconsideration
« Reply #820 on: December 30, 2014, 05:38:45 PM »
Had card before? If so how long and did you cancel/downgrade?
No there are my first 2 cards with Barclay
Now the hard one is chase SP since the total CL they see from other banks is 4300 and they gave me 4500 on freedom and don't want to approve SP because it has a minimum of 5k so even with shifting from freedom it will still be short already HUCA'd 7 times I'm starting to get hopeless
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline eAge

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: December 30, 2014, 06:55:17 PM »

No there are my first 2 cards with Barclay
Now the hard one is chase SP since the total CL they see from other banks is 4300 and they gave me 4500 on freedom and don't want to approve SP because it has a minimum of 5k so even with shifting from freedom it will still be short already HUCA'd 7 times I'm starting to get hopeless
You tried SM?

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #822 on: December 30, 2014, 07:01:24 PM »
You tried SM?
No maybe I should but I'm really bad with writing

Offline rileywiles23

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: January 05, 2015, 10:10:50 AM »
I applied for arrival and us air with 2bm ( 1-2 minutes apart ) and got denied called recon and they approved arrival but said the U.S. Airways app is not in their system. What should I do ?
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline eli.f

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: January 05, 2015, 11:37:27 AM »
I applied for arrival and us air with 2bm ( 1-2 minutes apart ) and got denied called recon and they approved arrival but said the U.S. Airways app is not in their system. What should I do ?
For one, don't cross post.

Offline Yitzshpitz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #825 on: January 07, 2015, 06:48:01 PM »
I did 2bm for Arrival plus and USair. They said both are pending. For Barclays (these are my first cards) should I call immediately or do I wait and see if I get denied and then call recon? I do know that getting 2 cards through recon can be tough.

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #826 on: January 07, 2015, 06:51:24 PM »
I did 2bm for Arrival plus and USair. They said both are pending. For Barclays (these are my first cards) should I call immediately or do I wait and see if I get denied and then call recon? I do know that getting 2 cards through recon can be tough.
no reason to wait when i did 2bm for them a month ago i got instant 3k on arrival+ and after 3 HUCA's i got them to move some of the CL to USair

Offline Yitzshpitz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: January 08, 2015, 02:54:08 PM »
no reason to wait when i did 2bm for them a month ago i got instant 3k on arrival+ and after 3 HUCA's i got them to move some of the CL to USair

When I called recon they told me both cards were denied. After a few questions the guy told me that he would give me one of the 2 cards, whichever one I wanted so i said the US air card. Now I have to work on the Arrival +....

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 08, 2015, 02:55:15 PM »
When I called recon they told me both cards were denied. After a few questions the guy told me that he would give me one of the 2 cards, whichever one I wanted so i said the US air card. Now I have to work on the Arrival +....
Your best chance is to move some of the CL

Offline gilkile

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 08, 2015, 04:26:40 PM »
SO..I already had a USAIR but applied for another, got declined because i already had one. Tried Recon, they said impossible to give two of same card. More than 30 days have passed, but i decided I'm gonna try again, so after I got my anniversary 10k miles I downgraded to arrival. Now what is my best strategy for explaining why I want US AIRWAYS? can recon reps see that i previously had one? do they see what previous recon reps told me? TIA (FYI, i'm ok if it requires another credit pull, as it's just transunion)

Offline eli.f

• View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 08, 2015, 04:32:07 PM »
SO..I already had a USAIR but applied for another, got declined because i already had one. Tried Recon, they said impossible to give two of same card. More than 30 days have passed, but i decided I'm gonna try again, so after I got my anniversary 10k miles I downgraded to arrival. Now what is my best strategy for explaining why I want US AIRWAYS? can recon reps see that i previously had one? do they see what previous recon reps told me? TIA (FYI, i'm ok if it requires another credit pull, as it's just transunion)
1. If they dig deep enough, they can see everything. But almost everyone's experience seems to say that they don't.
2. If they deny you the card because you already have one, there won't be a pull. They didn't pull your credit last time either.

You've nothing to lose IMO. Try and report back. Say that it's the last change to get this card and it's really important because of the XYZ benefits, etc.

Good luck!

Offline gilkile

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 09, 2015, 06:47:28 AM »
Thanks!,

I'll try and report back.

I knw forsure that they did pull credit the first time, as I saw my credit report.

Keeping fingers crossed that even though i downgraded to arrival, ill still get the $25 statement credit. Either way pretty sweet that I can earn the 10k points for spending $1k even though it's just a downgrade!! Iv'e never had that opportunity while converting/downgrading!

Offline eli.f

• View Profile
« Reply #832 on: January 09, 2015, 06:51:50 AM »
Thanks!,

I'll try and report back.

I knw forsure that they did pull credit the first time, as I saw my credit report.

Keeping fingers crossed that even though i downgraded to arrival, ill still get the $25 statement credit. Either way pretty sweet that I can earn the 10k points for spending $1k even though it's just a downgrade!! Iv'e never had that opportunity while converting/downgrading!
If they pulled your credit, IME, it's either because you applied for another card at the same time or, because the real reason the system denied you was NOT because you already have one. Maybe try to lower your credit/# of cards with them first.

That offer is great. Too bad I always get the 1K of 1st purchase.

Offline benjie1305

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 11, 2015, 11:46:53 AM »
Can anyone confirm that the recon desk that can actually approve cards on the phone is available on Sunday. Only wanna apply today if I know I can count on Huca'ing if necessary
Work hard, Play harder!

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #834 on: January 11, 2015, 11:54:30 AM »
Can anyone confirm that the recon desk that can actually approve cards on the phone is available on Sunday. Only wanna apply today if I know I can count on Huca'ing if necessary
Try calling then you'll know for sure

Offline MeirS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: January 11, 2015, 12:05:07 PM »
Apparently, the one that's open nights and weekends has a lower percentage of approvals here on DDF.

Offline eli.f

• View Profile
« Reply #836 on: January 11, 2015, 01:53:56 PM »
Apparently, the one that's open nights and weekends has a lower percentage of approvals here on DDF.
+1. They're %95 idiots. (Regular recon are only %70) :)

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #837 on: January 11, 2015, 05:33:11 PM »
+1. They're %95 idiots. (Regular recon are only %70) :)

Lol- thank god my wife and I got approved for the US Air right away. So no need. However, now thinkign of applying for same card (US Air) again now for me +wife. So I might have to call. Dont see my chances too high in being approved twice for same card in same day.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline eli.f

• View Profile
« Reply #838 on: January 11, 2015, 05:47:02 PM »
Lol- thank god my wife and I got approved for the US Air right away. So no need. However, now thinkign of applying for same card (US Air) again now for me +wife. So I might have to call. Dont see my chances too high in being approved twice for same card in same day.
If not instantly approved, chances are basically non-existent.
But you shouldn't get a pull if the system rejects you because you already have it. (Even if not on the same day)

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 11, 2015, 05:52:10 PM »
If not instantly approved, chances are basically non-existent.
But you shouldn't get a pull if the system rejects you because you already have it. (Even if not on the same day)

Wait. Really? So you are saying that it is basically a freeroll for me to apply for the US Air again? Is this confirmed?
Work hard, Play harder!