Topic Wiki

You can check your personal application status online here.
You can check your business application status online here.

Barclay reconsideration line: 866-408-4064, Mon-Fri 8AM - 5PM EST.
The 24-hour number is 866-408-4064
New 24 hour number is 866-205-5973
you can finally fax documents to Barclays the number is 866-836-6959

Based on the phone reps, an application usually remains in the system for 90 days, during which you can ask for a reconsideration.
However, if 30 days have passed, it will incur another hard pull.

There have been a few reports of Barclay pulling credit again when reconsidering - even when specifically asked not to.
Make sure to explicitly tell the rep that you don't want another credit pull. The benefit of such action would be that if later you see they did pull your credit you can call up and speak to a manager and have the pulls removed (based on first-hand accounts from this thread).

If you want to guarantee that you don't get another pull, freeze your credit report.

While Barclay recon reps are usually very tough to deal with, there have been sporadic reports of them reconsidering by reallocating credit-line from other cards. Additionally, there are a few reports indicating success with the 3BM.
Personal and biz didn't combine

Barclay recon reps take notes of each phone call and subsequent reps usually regurgitate the previous rep's reply.

Barclays has a 6/24 rule similar to chase 5/24. Not hardcoded like chase though.

Random: see this great article about negotiating tactics with Customer Service Reps.
not working. Found it on the wayback machine https://web.archive.org/web/20161018151314/https://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-negotiator-shares-negotiating-tricks-2015-1/ref=cyberdust.com

Author Topic: Barclays Reconsideration  (Read 362543 times)

Offline eli.f

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Barclays Reconsideration
« Reply #840 on: January 11, 2015, 05:55:29 PM »
Wait. Really? So you are saying that it is basically a freeroll for me to apply for the US Air again? Is this confirmed?
IME applying for numerous people, it is so.
You can see how long the app takes. If it takes a few seconds = no pull. 20-30 seconds = pull.
Barclay seems to be the only bank that doesn't pull if they're not going to give you the card anyway.
(There were times when I didn't get a pull and the reason for denial was to many cards/credit)

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 11, 2015, 05:57:17 PM »
Wait. Really? So you are saying that it is basically a freeroll for me to apply for the US Air again? Is this confirmed?

Confirmed.  Barclays Recon Reps all seem to think that the system automatically rejects the app if you already have the card.

Offline eli.f

• View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 11, 2015, 05:58:17 PM »
Plus, after 90 days the app seems to be removed from the system, so reps won't see it. So it really seems like it has no effect.

This is my experience. Try it yourself and report back.

(With Credit Karma, you get a free TU report every week, so you can easily check)

Offline eli.f

• View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 11, 2015, 05:59:10 PM »
Confirmed.  Barclays Recon Reps all seem to think that the system automatically rejects the app if you already have the card.
But have you experienced being rejected with no pull?

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 11, 2015, 05:59:27 PM »
IME applying for numerous people, it is so.
You can see how long the app takes. If it takes a few seconds = no pull. 20-30 seconds = pull.
Barclay seems to be the only bank that doesn't pull if they're not going to give you the card anyway.
(There were times when I didn't get a pull and the reason for denial was to many cards/credit)

On that note, my first app today for me + wife also just took like 5 seconds and got approved but I figure that was a pull.

Wonder if there then is a better time vs a worse time to try. Is same day any different (better or worse) then trying this tomorrow or in 48 hours?
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline eli.f

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 11, 2015, 06:08:32 PM »
On that note, my first app today for me + wife also just took like 5 seconds and got approved but I figure that was a pull.
OK. I guess it's not always a good indication. But IME, I almost always know if there's a pull.
Wonder if there then is a better time vs a worse time to try. Is same day any different (better or worse) then trying this tomorrow or in 48 hours?
Doubt it makes a difference.

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 11, 2015, 06:15:02 PM »
But have you experienced being rejected with no pull?

Yes.  After downgrading to Arrival-,  I applied and was declined.  I called recon and the rep said it seems like the app was rejected because I already had the card.  She was perplexed when she couldn't see an existing card.  She then offered to pull my CR as none had been pulled, and consider my app.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 11, 2015, 06:15:24 PM »
OK. I guess it's not always a good indication. But IME, I almost always know if there's a pull.Doubt it makes a difference.

This is what I got after 1.5 seconds. Weird as I thought it might go into pending status but not tell me that.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #848 on: January 11, 2015, 06:17:28 PM »
Try clearing cookies, switching browser.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #849 on: January 11, 2015, 06:18:48 PM »

I did use google chrome but the incgonito window. I thought that can always be used.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline eli.f

• View Profile
« Reply #850 on: January 11, 2015, 06:19:38 PM »
Doesn't help IME.
I did use google chrome but the incgonito window. I thought that can always be used.
It can.
This is what I got after 1.5 seconds. Weird as I thought it might go into pending status but not tell me that.
Forgot to tell you that. It won't even go into the system because it's seen as a duplicate.
I know that changing the name on the app will make it go through. (Like changing the middle name to/from an initial)
Maybe changing other info like address/phone will work as well. It seems that there's no harm in trying until you succeed.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #851 on: January 11, 2015, 06:21:46 PM »
Doesn't help IME.It can.Forgot to tell you that. It won't even go into the system because it's seen as a duplicate.
I know that changing the name on the app will make it go through. (Like changing the middle name to/from an initial)
Maybe changing other info like address/phone will work as well. It seems that there's no harm in trying until you succeed.

Ok - so this didnt cause an actual pull and I can still use the Chrome incognito window and should just try changing something on the app. Will middle initial (adding one) be good enough or does something that is a "required field" need to be changed?
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline eli.f

• View Profile
« Reply #852 on: January 11, 2015, 06:25:46 PM »
Ok - so this didnt cause an actual pull and I can still use the Chrome incognito window and should just try changing something on the app. Will middle initial (adding one) be good enough or does something that is a "required field" need to be changed?
Correct.
I remember that changing stuff works. Don't know what exactly needs to be change.
Just play around with it.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #853 on: January 11, 2015, 06:39:55 PM »
Correct.
I remember that changing stuff works. Don't know what exactly needs to be change.
Just play around with it.

Changed a ton of stuff. Tried diff stuff (name,initial,income,email) and each time it gave me the same (previous attachment) result.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #854 on: January 11, 2015, 06:41:00 PM »
Use eli.f's SS  ;D

Offline eli.f

• View Profile
« Reply #855 on: January 11, 2015, 06:42:21 PM »
Changed a ton of stuff. Tried diff stuff (name,initial,income,email) and each time it gave me the same (previous attachment) result.
Maybe change spelling on your name. or make a 'mistake' in your SSN (Once I made a mistake with my SSN on a Chase app and was approved. Not instant, but without calling)

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 11, 2015, 06:46:29 PM »
Maybe change spelling on your name. or make a 'mistake' in your SSN (Once I made a mistake with my SSN on a Chase app and was approved. Not instant, but without calling)

So using a diff/wrong SSN is fine and can still work towards getting approved? Hmm..
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Hershelsdeals

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: January 11, 2015, 07:11:45 PM »

-1 Citi AA does the same,  if you have an AA you will be declined automatically without a pull

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 11, 2015, 07:41:16 PM »

Ok - did all that and finally got this. Now do I call recon? Do I wait the 10 days? Was this now actually a pull and if they dont take me in the end it wont actually be a pull?
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline eli.f

• View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 12, 2015, 03:26:22 AM »
-1 Citi AA does the same,  if you have an AA you will be declined automatically without a pull
True. Forgot about that.
Ok - did all that and finally got this. Now do I call recon? Do I wait the 10 days? Was this now actually a pull and if they dont take me in the end it wont actually be a pull?
Great!
You have to be approved by the 18th, so don't wait too long.
If it was a pull, even if they reject you, it's unlickely it will go off. But if the system automatically declined, it shouldn't pull.
What does the app status say?