Topic Wiki

You can check your personal application status online here.
You can check your business application status online here.

Barclay reconsideration line: 866-408-4064, Mon-Fri 8AM - 5PM EST.
The 24-hour number is 866-408-4064
New 24 hour number is 866-205-5973
you can finally fax documents to Barclays the number is 866-836-6959

Based on the phone reps, an application usually remains in the system for 90 days, during which you can ask for a reconsideration.
However, if 30 days have passed, it will incur another hard pull.

There have been a few reports of Barclay pulling credit again when reconsidering - even when specifically asked not to.
Make sure to explicitly tell the rep that you don't want another credit pull. The benefit of such action would be that if later you see they did pull your credit you can call up and speak to a manager and have the pulls removed (based on first-hand accounts from this thread).

If you want to guarantee that you don't get another pull, freeze your credit report.

While Barclay recon reps are usually very tough to deal with, there have been sporadic reports of them reconsidering by reallocating credit-line from other cards. Additionally, there are a few reports indicating success with the 3BM.
Personal and biz didn't combine

Barclay recon reps take notes of each phone call and subsequent reps usually regurgitate the previous rep's reply.

Barclays has a 6/24 rule similar to chase 5/24. Not hardcoded like chase though.

Random: see this great article about negotiating tactics with Customer Service Reps.
not working. Found it on the wayback machine https://web.archive.org/web/20161018151314/https://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-negotiator-shares-negotiating-tricks-2015-1/ref=cyberdust.com

Author Topic: Barclays Reconsideration  (Read 360005 times)

Offline mgarfin

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Barclays Reconsideration
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2013, 05:16:54 PM »
They said I need to speak to  a different department
and other rep said they tried contacting me and couldnt get thru
but everything looks good so approved for 5k
thats after getting denied.

but i'm still waiting for decision on us card.

Offline TAVI

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2013, 04:14:53 PM »
wow, Barclay Recon is just not working for me. 4 calls, 4 shutdowns.

I opened their US air card July 2012 and only spent 25 cents on it to get the bonus. fast forward 9 months , and i recently applied for another us air card (still have the old one open) and the arrival card. Both applications were denied online.

Called several times but none of the reps are willing to approve because they see that i have too many recent card approvals and that they need to see usage and payment history on the existing card before they can approve any additional cards. I offered to re-allocate credit from existing line, but thats a no go either. They are impossible to deal with, though very pleasent to talk to.

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2013, 04:47:58 PM »
wow, Barclay Recon is just not working for me. 4 calls, 4 shutdowns.

I opened their US air card July 2012 and only spent 25 cents on it to get the bonus. fast forward 9 months , and i recently applied for another us air card (still have the old one open) and the arrival card. Both applications were denied online.

Called several times but none of the reps are willing to approve because they see that i have too many recent card approvals and that they need to see usage and payment history on the existing card before they can approve any additional cards. I offered to re-allocate credit from existing line, but thats a no go either. They are impossible to deal with, though very pleasent to talk to.

Yup.

A big part of the reason IMHO that many here are having problems with Barclays is that people aren't really spending on their cards because you don't have to and they told me too that they want to see me spend on their other card. They really look to see if you spend. They are on to the game.

Offline TAVI

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2013, 08:58:58 PM »
Yup.

A big part of the reason IMHO that many here are having problems with Barclays is that people aren't really spending on their cards because you don't have to and they told me too that they want to see me spend on their other card. They really look to see if you spend. They are on to the game.

yup, that's what i felt too. they knew i was just getting the card for the points.

Offline esw30

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2013, 05:52:37 AM »
Ok. I agree. Let's define often. May be once a year or max 2 times a year. If you start becoming greedy, then they will not allow. United ca. Be done 4 times a year easy.

I just want to make sure I am understanding this right - you can churn the Chase United card?  I've never heard about this.
Thanks.

EMES

« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2013, 04:32:28 PM »
Yup.

Should mention that i will use the card, alot , as i plan on  or they just get the vibe when u do a 3b that its for the miles

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2013, 10:38:06 PM »
I just want to make sure I am understanding this right - you can churn the Chase United card?  I've never heard about this.
Thanks.
+75

EMES

« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2013, 02:38:59 PM »
+75
Tried reconsidering for the Us airways card after approved for the Lufthansa, RUDE AND DISGUSTING, although they did offer an add $500 credit line .
Huca?  or not worth trying 

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2013, 02:48:29 PM »
Tried reconsidering for the Us airways card after approved for the Lufthansa, RUDE AND DISGUSTING, although they did offer an add $500 credit line .

Wow, and Barclays is usually pretty friendly.
"Not all who wander are lost"

EMES

« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2013, 02:50:10 PM »
Wow, and Barclays is usually pretty friendly.
Not this guy, just interrupting me trying to say thanks your for calling Barcalys have a good day....

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2013, 04:42:14 PM »
Usually not worth it (they tend to follow the notes of the previous rep), but maybe give it a try or two.

Offline Kn9ght

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2013, 09:49:35 AM »
Just did a 2BM w/ US + Miles&More card. Got pending messages for both then checked status online and saw this message for both:
"Currently we are unable to offer you a Credit Card. Details on why we could not make you a credit offer will be mailed to you."
Oh well  :(

EMES

« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2013, 01:52:03 PM »
Just did a 2BM w/ US + Miles&More card. Got pending messages for both then checked status online and saw this message for both:
"Currently we are unable to offer you a Credit Card. Details on why we could not make you a credit offer will be mailed to you."
Oh well  :(
should be able to to get approved for 1 with reconsidering ,,, Howver if its not going , request an approval for a low cl for starters , and explain u would like to start using them as your primary card.

Decide prior to calling which card is in your bed interest ... And stick to one card at a time
Hope it work

Offline alpicone

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 09, 2013, 02:09:57 PM »
I was just shot down with recon on the US Air business card. Rep didn't like the fact that I had opened so many cards in the last 12 months. She said that she didn't want to ding my credit with another new card...

I heard her taking notes the entire time. I will try again tomorrow but as other have reported I might not have any luck since they will read back all the notes.

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #114 on: May 09, 2013, 02:11:59 PM »
I was just shot down with recon on the US Air business card. Rep didn't like the fact that I had opened so many cards in the last 12 months. She said that she didn't want to ding my credit with another new card...

I heard her taking notes the entire time. I will try again tomorrow but as other have reported I might not have any luck since they will read back all the notes.

Don't bother.

Offline Kn9ght

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2013, 02:13:08 PM »
I do have a NFL MC with them from Sep 2012 but I rarely use it though. And I heard that Barclay usually does another pull during consideration call so I'm kind of afraid, I don't want to waste another pull. But I might try to call tonight. Thanks
P.S: I got 4 cards in Feb 13, 2 new cards last night (unexpected AoR thanks to AMEX Biz Gold) and a total of 12 cards during 12 months.

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2013, 12:11:34 PM »

That is my biggest "fear" right now having to call for recon on two cards. Has anyone come across some "magic words" which they like to hear?
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline jaywhy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2013, 12:14:54 PM »
Don't bother.
I got declined for the same reason. Called a few times but the reps wouldn't budge.

Offline U-no-me!

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2013, 01:27:19 PM »

I thought they pull from TU, so how were they able to see?
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline alpicone

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2013, 02:05:09 PM »
I thought they pull from TU, so how were they able to see?

They can't see the recent inquiries, but once the account is open it is reported to TU with the account open date.