Topic Wiki

List of TR's:
Fan Of Dan, BrooklynCPA, momo Part 1, momo Part 2, lechaim2life, eliteflyer, Pbaruch, Rcarentals (Guanacaste)

Bringing food/meat through the airports:
  • San Jose Airport SJO - customs are known to be ruthless here with meat. There are many stories in the forums and online of people having all their meats or kosher travel meals seized at customs.
  • Liberia LIR - Recent experiences were that LIR customs didn't check anyone at all.
The general advice which is the only method that seems to consistently work, is bringing in specifically USDA certified products. For example most hotdogs will have an actual USDA certification printed on the hotdog packet. Some companies like Teva, Agri in various supermarkets and most manufacturers have the USDA certification and approval number printed on the label. This is rarely the case for supermarkets who repackage and butcher things themselves and do not have a USDA-certified processing room.
There have been reports of stickers like the USDA organic stickers regularly used to label meats in supermarkets working as well if they look like THIS
In the most ideal world, your food has a clear description of: The product, the nutrition, and a USDA label on the manufacturer packaging.

In a worst case, food can be airshipped to anywhere for a fee - for example from one of the SJO kosher suppliers to Liberia for example the JW Marriott for around $400.

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
  • SKCR/Super Kosher has takeout under the local Chabad rabbi.
  • The Israeli restaurant in Jaco may not be acceptable for many.  It is my understanding that while they get some meat/chicken from Chabad, they have no hashgacha.
  • Supermarket Automercado has pas yisroel bagels in the freezer per the Chabad rabbi in tamarindo - may or may not be tamarindo specific.
  • Walmart is 6 minutes from Liberia airport, and has tons of American, kosher products and snacks.

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

West side/Liberia

Hotels:
The JW Marriott Guanacaste has amazing suites. If you book there, it's worth speaking to the reservations department before or after to see if you can negotiate an upgrade for a small fee. They offered off the base room, an upgrade of $175 a night for a suite, or $200 for a suite with ocean view, and plunge pool.

Getting Around:
A 4 Wheel drive here is mandatory. Not just because the humidity and rain create muddy and slippery roads, but mainly because the potholes here, are really huge and bad, and your car needs clearance to drive... The roads in costa rica are absolutely terribly maintained. they are completely manageable with a SUV - but expect a ton of bumps and thousands of potholes - almost the entire country is made up of 2 lane roads including highways. All overtaking is done in the direction of opposing traffic. cars here are seriously used and abused - so when you pick up your car.. it's worth going for one with as low mileage as possible.

Notes:

ALL CAR COMPANIES CHARGE MANDATORY LIABILITY INSURANCE. This seems to be one of the biggest complaints from tourists who don't know and consider this a tourist trap - like Israel.
CDW here often REQUIRES the letter - more than Israel.. so have that prepared.

Author Topic: Costa Rica Master Thread  (Read 177355 times)

Offline ejb123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Rica Master Thread
« Reply #300 on: March 07, 2016, 01:43:24 PM »
You can actually stay at the andaz papagayo and use their free shuttle to go back and forth to the four Seasons which is about 5-10 min away

I just called the four seasons and was told that kosher meals are only available for guests staying at the hotel (I am staying at the Andaz). Did anyone have a different experience ?

Offline oiseli48

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 07, 2016, 01:49:07 PM »

I just called the four seasons and was told that kosher meals are only available for guests staying at the hotel (I am staying at the Andaz). Did anyone have a different experience ?

They told me the same too

Offline mordechain

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 07, 2016, 05:23:04 PM »
The grocery store is small but has a good take out business. We ordered a few meals from them. Some were better than others.   
I was in San José for a short time, and didn't want to run all over the city

Offline mordechain

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 07, 2016, 05:25:24 PM »
To find the kosher store, but near the airport there was auto mercado that had a lot of American ou products. If cy isn't a problem, there was what to buy.

Offline ejb123

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 08, 2016, 08:02:33 AM »
I see upthread that a bunch of DDFr's recently stayed at the andaz. Can anyone suggest activities nearby? I am flying into LIR on Thursday midday  returning Sunday midday and really only have Friday and don't want to drive too far. Is there anything to do closer to the airport prior to making the drive? Did anyone go to rhe four seasons beach or the prieta beach club? I have seen mixed reviews on the andaz beach. Thanks in advance.

Offline jshelton

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 08, 2016, 09:38:07 PM »
I see upthread that a bunch of DDFr's recently stayed at the andaz. Can anyone suggest activities nearby?

http://costaricaexperts.com/ you can use their website (they're expensive) to get some ideas for what's in the area you will be in and make a sample itinerary an then you can google the actual places you want to visit and find more affordable ways to do it.

I think you would be able to do the Monkey Sanctuary or one of the hikes in one of the national parks near papagayo. let us know what you find, I'm still not done planning my trip

Offline jshelton

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 08, 2016, 09:39:15 PM »
What do people do about cell phones in Costa Rica.  I have an unlocked iPhone so I just need a microsim. Do I pick one up at the airport or local store or do I attempt to pre-order?

Offline Aaaron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 08, 2016, 10:00:14 PM »
What do people do about cell phones in Costa Rica.  I have an unlocked iPhone so I just need a microsim. Do I pick one up at the airport or local store or do I attempt to pre-order?

Airport.  Cost like $9 for a sim with 500mb of data.

Offline eliteflyer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 08, 2016, 10:01:20 PM »
I see upthread that a bunch of DDFr's recently stayed at the andaz. Can anyone suggest activities nearby? I am flying into LIR on Thursday midday  returning Sunday midday and really only have Friday and don't want to drive too far. Is there anything to do closer to the airport prior to making the drive? Did anyone go to rhe four seasons beach or the prieta beach club? I have seen mixed reviews on the andaz beach. Thanks in advance.
Didn't visit the beach club or Four Seasons, but can confirm that, as of a year ago, the Andaz beach is nothing more than a small patch of rocky mud. Their pools are nice. We only went down to the beach for kayak and other water activities.

Offline mordechain

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 09, 2016, 12:30:45 AM »
Right in the baggage Hall, there is a kolbi store. Use this, they'll set it up for you. You'll need to show your passport. I spent about 20 for a prepaid sim with 2GB and did most of my calling on the data with hangouts dialer, which was free to the USA.
Data coverage there is decent.

Offline jshelton

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 09, 2016, 09:47:52 AM »
Right in the baggage Hall, there is a kolbi store. Use this, they'll set it up for you.

Thank you both!!! I'm only there for 3-4 days so I don't think I'll need more than 1 GB.

Offline ejb123

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 10, 2016, 11:02:11 PM »
Thank you both!!! I'm only there for 3-4 days so I don't think I'll need more than 1 GB.

Am here in Costa Rica now and I didn't see the store with SIM card in the airport. While I may have missed it (the airport is fairly small) - I was told by the rental car agent that they don't sell sim cards in the airport.

Additionally, anything that is labeled "chicken" was confiscated at customs (first hand experience). They didn't take items labeled turkey or any beef. Funny - for those from the five towns in NY - they were OK with the "Approved by Aliza Beer" sticker on my meals that weren't chicken in lieu of USDA.

Also - Andaz told me they longer provide fridge and microwave in the rooms, but YMMV

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 11, 2016, 12:08:23 AM »
Am here in Costa Rica now and I didn't see the store with SIM card in the airport. While I may have missed it (the airport is fairly small) - I was told by the rental car agent that they don't sell sim cards in the airport.

As of last month there was a Kolbi storefront after all the baggage carousels on the rights hand side.

Offline mordechain

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 11, 2016, 12:30:44 AM »

Additionally, anything that is labeled "chicken" was confiscated at customs (first hand experience). They didn't take items labeled turkey or any beef. Funny - for those from the five towns in NY - they were OK with the "Approved by Aliza Beer" sticker on my meals that weren't chicken in lieu of USDA.

Also - Andaz told me they longer provide fridge and microwave in the rooms, but YMMV
Are you in San Jose, or Liberia?
Last month there was a kolbi in the baggage claim area in sjo

Offline oiseli48

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 11, 2016, 10:09:34 AM »
If you have t mobile, you get free data and text.

They don't have a separate fridge in the room, but a minibar one that is big enough to fit quite a few items inside.

The four seasons beach is beautiful, the prieta beach club is the nicest to go for sunset, as it faces straight west.

Offline ejb123

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: March 12, 2016, 08:06:28 PM »
Are you in San Jose, or Liberia?
Last month there was a kolbi in the baggage claim area in sjo

I flew into LIR.

Offline nafnaf12

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 25, 2016, 11:51:23 PM »
I flew into LIR.
an updates on brining in meats through LIR?
going on Monday want to know what I can and cannot bring.. TIA
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline sdembitz

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 17, 2016, 03:08:49 PM »
So, I'm going with my family next week to Guanacoste. It seems as if any uncooked frozen meat needs to have USDA stamped on it, and vacuum packed. What about other packaged frozen foods (e.g. pizza, pot pies, hot dogs, frozen American cheese, etc.). Are they allowed in? Also, can someone please confirm that in fact there is a place in the airport to get a sim card if I have an IPhone 5 or 6s? Last, my insurance fully covers me for car rentals. Do they still force you to take other insurance, or do I need to bring proof that my insurance covers? Thanks

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 17, 2016, 10:20:06 PM »
So, I'm going with my family next week to Guanacoste. It seems as if any uncooked frozen meat needs to have USDA stamped on it, and vacuum packed. What about other packaged frozen foods (e.g. pizza, pot pies, hot dogs, frozen American cheese, etc.). Are they allowed in? Also, can someone please confirm that in fact there is a place in the airport to get a sim card if I have an IPhone 5 or 6s? Last, my insurance fully covers me for car rentals. Do they still force you to take other insurance, or do I need to bring proof that my insurance covers? Thanks

IME they tried to make us put a $5k hold our our CC if we wanted to use its coverage. 

Offline BarryLincoln

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, National Executive, Hertz Five Star
« Reply #319 on: December 01, 2016, 09:40:19 AM »
Can anyone comment on driving conditions in Costa Rica.  Am considering spending shabbos in San Jose but would like to spend week near Liberia coast.  Looks like a 3-4 hour drive between the two but wasn't sure if driving there is recommended, whether it's safe or not or any other important considerations... Thoughts?