Topic Wiki

List of TR's:
Fan Of Dan, BrooklynCPA, momo Part 1, momo Part 2, lechaim2life, eliteflyer, Pbaruch, Rcarentals (Guanacaste)

Bringing food/meat through the airports:
  • San Jose Airport SJO - customs are known to be ruthless here with meat. There are many stories in the forums and online of people having all their meats or kosher travel meals seized at customs.
  • Liberia LIR - Recent experiences were that LIR customs didn't check anyone at all.
The general advice which is the only method that seems to consistently work, is bringing in specifically USDA certified products. For example most hotdogs will have an actual USDA certification printed on the hotdog packet. Some companies like Teva, Agri in various supermarkets and most manufacturers have the USDA certification and approval number printed on the label. This is rarely the case for supermarkets who repackage and butcher things themselves and do not have a USDA-certified processing room.
There have been reports of stickers like the USDA organic stickers regularly used to label meats in supermarkets working as well if they look like THIS
In the most ideal world, your food has a clear description of: The product, the nutrition, and a USDA label on the manufacturer packaging.

In a worst case, food can be airshipped to anywhere for a fee - for example from one of the SJO kosher suppliers to Liberia for example the JW Marriott for around $400.

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
  • SKCR/Super Kosher has takeout under the local Chabad rabbi.
  • The Israeli restaurant in Jaco may not be acceptable for many.  It is my understanding that while they get some meat/chicken from Chabad, they have no hashgacha.
  • Supermarket Automercado has pas yisroel bagels in the freezer per the Chabad rabbi in tamarindo - may or may not be tamarindo specific.
  • Walmart is 6 minutes from Liberia airport, and has tons of American, kosher products and snacks.

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

West side/Liberia

Hotels:
The JW Marriott Guanacaste has amazing suites. If you book there, it's worth speaking to the reservations department before or after to see if you can negotiate an upgrade for a small fee. They offered off the base room, an upgrade of $175 a night for a suite, or $200 for a suite with ocean view, and plunge pool.

Getting Around:
A 4 Wheel drive here is mandatory. Not just because the humidity and rain create muddy and slippery roads, but mainly because the potholes here, are really huge and bad, and your car needs clearance to drive... The roads in costa rica are absolutely terribly maintained. they are completely manageable with a SUV - but expect a ton of bumps and thousands of potholes - almost the entire country is made up of 2 lane roads including highways. All overtaking is done in the direction of opposing traffic. cars here are seriously used and abused - so when you pick up your car.. it's worth going for one with as low mileage as possible.

Notes:

ALL CAR COMPANIES CHARGE MANDATORY LIABILITY INSURANCE. This seems to be one of the biggest complaints from tourists who don't know and consider this a tourist trap - like Israel.
CDW here often REQUIRES the letter - more than Israel.. so have that prepared.

Author Topic: Costa Rica Master Thread  (Read 176593 times)

Offline daganster

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Re: Costa Rica Master Thread
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2012, 09:45:44 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with bringing in meats, chicken, dairy..... I am getting mixed messages about what is allowed and have heard they can be strict and confiscate.....
If you've been been to Costa Rica please tell what you brought in. Also, I am flying into LIR and was told they can be stricter because its a small airport.
I flew to Nicaragua 2 months ago with my family I personally flew in to MGA, but some of us flew in to LIR. The ones that flew in to LIR told me that they are strict, but not as strict as in Mexico. They did scan their suitcases luckily they didn't have anything as we flew with all the food. All I could say is that your always taking a risk, but thank g-d I've had lots of luck going through customs with food.

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2012, 10:34:36 PM »
I flew to SJO with a conspicous cardboard box full of meat and chicken without an issue.

Offline SGF

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 10:59:16 PM »
There are some nice activities e.g. zip lining. I just think that Costaa is overrated, and that the reason why Amercan's travel there is because they feel safer there than in other Central American countries .
Any other recommendations for such a 4-5 day activity and beach trip in central america other then costa rica?

Offline daganster

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2012, 11:24:34 PM »
If you want something a bit adventurous in Central America There's a place in Guatemala called San Pedro La Laguna. It's a small town situated on a lake you stay at a decent hostel for about $10 a night, since there are no name brand hotels there.There are plenty of activities there i.e. horse back riding, ziplining, motorcycling, cliff jumping and more. Its a really cool place although if your looking for the beaches again I wouldn't recommend. If I was hitting up a beach I would most likely go to Mexico or Honduras stay on 1 beach for 5 days and go scuba diving. There's a lot you can do in Central America you just need to narrow it down to what your looking for. Good luck.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2012, 01:32:41 AM »
Any other recommendations for such a 4-5 day activity and beach trip in central america other then costa rica?
Costa Rica has nice beaches but not great swimming. If I was you I would hit Belize. There is a lot to do in the interior of the country, and on the water side of the country there are great coral reefs, and diving including the blue hole.

Offline BrooklynCPA

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2013, 12:08:30 PM »
Any last minute suggestions for best way to spend 2 full days in Arenal and get the most out of it?

Offline alpicone

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2013, 02:07:40 PM »
Any last minute suggestions for best way to spend 2 full days in Arenal and get the most out of it?

How was your trip? Thinking about booking a trip to Costa Rica and wanted to get your feedback.
Thanks.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2013, 01:57:39 PM »
TR?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2013, 02:10:20 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with bringing in meats, chicken, dairy..... I am getting mixed messages about what is allowed and have heard they can be strict and confiscate.....

If you've been been to Costa Rica please tell what you brought in. Also, I am flying into LIR and was told they can be stricter because its a small airport.
I flew into LIR with 3 huge boxes of food incl meats they took away a few things, but with a 20 "tip" they left most stuff.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2013, 08:25:22 PM »

Offline robi

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2013, 01:05:06 AM »
Anyone stay in the Westin in guanacaste?
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I'm not"

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2013, 03:29:46 AM »
Anyone stay in the Westin in guanacaste?

+1?

Costs a fortune in Starpoints, but can be had for $300-$350 per night. Is it worth it? I'm SPG Plat, if it makes a difference. And I'm probably revealing my blatant ignorance here, but... what does it mean that the Westin is an "all-inclusive resort"?

Someone we know stayed at the "Flamingo". Anyone know anything about that?

Are there any kosher food options within a reasonable distance of the west side of the country (i.e. where the Westin is)?

Finally, I'm not the type of guy who can pull off "tipping" a customs agent... What food is absolutely safe (from a legal standpoint) to bring in, even through LIR?

Offline BrooklynCPA

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2013, 12:58:51 PM »
I flew into LIR and brought in all types of food including chicken, Meats (labeled as chicken) and dairy without any issues even though it went through the X-ray machine. I also divided up the food and put it inconspicuously in my regular suitcases as opposed to bringing a separate box of food. To be safe I had someone write a formal letter from a Rabbi in Spanish saying that we had special kosher dietary needs and to please allow it in. Not sure if this would have helped but figured it can't hurt.

I originally had a reservation at the all-inclusive westin Guanacaste with cash (not worth the points) but decided against it because it seemed like a typical beachfront hotel that I can get at any Caribbean island. I wanted to get more of a feel for Costa Rica and split my time between Arenal and Manuel Antonio.

We drove about 3 ½ hours to Arenal, a fairly easy drive.  Arenal is inland with the main highlight being the Volcano, Hot Springs, Zip lining, Rappelling and other outdoor activities. We stayed at Arenal Nayara Resort , http://www.arenalnayara.com/ , which was absolutely gorgeous and reasonably priced. It was voted as one of the most romantic hotels in the world and on top of the list for best hotel in Latin America. The most popular hotel there is Tabacon, http://www.tabacon.com/ . They have the best hot springs but I was not impressed with the hotel at all. The Springs Resort, http://www.thespringscostarica.com/ , is very high end and also has hot springs but  is very Disney like and expensive.

We then drove about 5 hours to Manuel Antonio which is a tropical beach town with many resorts and lots of monkeys and wildlife. We stayed at Parador Resort and Spa,  http://www.hotelparador.com/ . It was an older resort but we got a nice suite in a new building at a great price from Jetsetter.  The two best places I would recommend there are Arenas Del Mar, http://www.arenasdelmar.com/   or  renting a private bungalow at Tulemar resort, http://www.4tulemar.com/ . We went on a rafting trip and hiked the national park but mostly relaxed here.

We rented our band new 4x4 from Sixt at a much better rate than anyone else.  They are privately owned  but they honored my Platinum status. They only have one location in San Jose but sent someone to meet us at LIR, a 4 hour drive!   There are no real highways and the roads are mostly two way single lane streets similar to our country roads with lots of curves, hills and many single lane bridges. What would take one hour in the US on our highways can take 2 to 3 hours. But with common sense and a GPS it is not very difficult to get around.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 02:30:23 PM by BrooklynCPA »

Offline dimples

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2013, 06:54:30 PM »
Trying to plan my first trip to Costa Rica. Is a week and a 1/2 too long to be there? IE a monday thru the next thursday?
Does it make sense to fly into LIR and then make my way to SJO for the return trip?

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2013, 05:32:29 PM »
A week and a half isn't way to long. Just a week is rushed and that makes sense. Flying into one airport and out the other can make sense, I did that in the reverse.

Offline lechaim2life

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2014, 01:58:35 AM »
Just booked Andaz Papagayo with Cash + Points (12,500 Hyatt + $150) for 1/19-1/23, got confirmed for a suite upgrade and it will count toward stays for Diamond Trial!

Besides relaxing, any recommendations on what to do (I am afraid of heights)? And anyone have an idea if bringing in frozen food to LIR is an issue?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2014, 11:26:49 PM »
And anyone have an idea if bringing in frozen food to LIR is an issue?
+1 still haven't heard what their official policy is.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »
+1 still haven't heard what their official policy is.
Don't know the official policy but got 2 suitcases full of meat/chicken and fish today with no questions and it was declared.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline beeweegee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2014, 12:53:15 AM »
Don't know the official policy but got 2 suitcases full of meat/chicken and fish today with no questions and it was declared.
I declared meat there a few months ago and went through. They asked what kind of meat it was, and when I told them beef and chicken, they waived it right through.

Offline runnergirl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; American Airlines Gold;
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2014, 06:53:08 PM »
We didn't declare anything (meat and chicken was cooked). They thoroughly went through our bags but in the end, no problem. However, I did hear that someone on the next flight into Liberia got a lot of there food confiscated.