Topic Wiki

List of TR's:

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

Hotels:

Getting Around:

Notes:

Author Topic: Costa Rica Master Thread  (Read 91707 times)

Offline lansky

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Rica Master Thread
« Reply #495 on: December 27, 2020, 02:03:29 AM »
Monteverde region is one of the best spots in the world for birding. As far as MANP it is a beautiful park with abundant wildlife and a gorgeous beach. (FWIW wildlife sightings are never guaranteed, it isn’t a zoo. And on our most recent trip we saw as much wildlife in the Andaz as MA.)
monteverde is famous for the Quetzal i saw 10x the birds in carra np ,i even saw more wildlife in the andaz then in monteverde unless you count the raccoons cousin, in ma in the first half hour I saw 8 monkey's minimum and people have had the the same experience as me in monteverde and ma.to each his own

Offline sddd

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 27, 2020, 05:39:15 AM »
just got through customs with lots of meats, had some luck as checker was distracted when our bags went through. Havent gone anywhere yet but to add to the opinnions here my buddy just went and also tought monteverde was overrated. I guess it depends if youre into birds maybe?

Offline lansky

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 27, 2020, 09:56:19 PM »
just got through customs with lots of meats, had some luck as checker was distracted when our bags went through. Havent gone anywhere yet but to add to the opinnions here my buddy just went and also tought monteverde was overrated. I guess it depends if youre into birds maybe?
i just whent through a cooler of meat also with no problems is seems raw chicken is more the issue, although it depends on the agent as always. I wanted to see birds that's why I was happy with carra np as I saw alot of cool birds including the scarlet macaw,monteverde only is famous for the Quetzal and I saw one cool blue bird the whole time,I'm just putting a disclaimer out that after covid is over, a place like Piedras blancas might be more worth it just a thought

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 27, 2020, 10:23:09 PM »
Was just in MA and advice is to skip. Only one trail is open- we did see monkeys and other cool stuff, but definitely wouldn’t shlep just for that.
Package is a must for us too!! Enjoy

If you want to consider something, try MonteVerde instead of MA. We like it better
i just whent through a cooler of meat also with no problems is seems raw chicken is more the issue, although it depends on the agent as always. I wanted to see birds that's why I was happy with carra np as I saw alot of cool birds including the scarlet macaw,monteverde only is famous for the Quetzal and I saw one cool blue bird the whole time,I'm just putting a disclaimer out that after covid is over, a place like Piedras blancas might be more worth it just a thought
Did you have a tour guide?

Offline lansky

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 29, 2020, 02:37:30 AM »
Did you have a tour guide?
no but if you want to go down that road then you can see animal's with a guide that you can't see in monteverde with a guide , so I don't see the point

Offline sddd

• View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 02, 2021, 10:29:18 PM »
Mini TR:

Went Sunday to Wednesday this past week. We mostly stayed near La Fortuna at an airbnb in the arenal Volcano region.

Flew into SJO. Customs: Possibly due to a distracted screener had zero issues with a nice amount of meat.

We stayed by Courtyart Marriot saturday night. Nice hotel.

Sunday - For $150 we got a private driver to take us from san jose to arenal. We stopped by La Paz which is basically a small zoo. Overpriced at $48 but still recommended since the birds are cool and the waterfalls are great.
Monday - Small Arenal Hike (nice) and Tabacon Hot Springs (Very unique and relaxing) They are the only hotel in the area with natural hot springs that are not pumped. They sell a day pass. If you decline the meal you can get it a little cheaper.
Tuesday - We did a hike/hanging bridges/tram/ziplining package at Sky adventures Arenal. Super worth it at $108.    Bridges and zipliing were super cool. There are 4 separate hanging bridges and 5 different zip lines, all included in the package.
Wednesday - Pacuare River Class 4 Whitewater rafting. The river is very scenic, with a few waterfalls and some wildlife. The rafting companies will pick you up from different areas and drop you off where you want so its very economical at $99 if you do not rent a car there. They picked us up from La Fortuna at 530AM and dropped us off in San Jose at 6PM.

On that note - its not an easy country to drive in by day and by night it's especially not recommended. Many twists and turns on non lit up roads, with many one way stretches.

Wednesday night: Stayed by Marriot in San Jose. Very nice hotel with golf, tennis, and 2 pools.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 11:48:12 PM by sddd »

Offline lansky

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 02, 2021, 11:32:00 PM »
Mini TR:

Went Sunday to Wednesday this past week. We mostly stayed near La Fortuna at an airbnb in the arenal Volcano region.

Flew into SJO. Customs: Possibly due to a distracted screener had zero issues with a nice amount of meat.

Sunday - For $150 we got a private driver to take us from san jose to arenal. We stopped by La Paz which is basically a small zoo. Overpriced at $48 but still recommended since the birds are cool and the waterfalls are tirec.
Monday - Small Arenal Hike (nice) and Tabacon Hot Springs (Very unique and relaxing) They are the only hotel in the area with natural hot springs that are not pumped. They sell a day pass. If you decline the meal you can get it a little cheaper.
Tuesday - We did a hike/hanging bridges/tram/ziplining package at Sky adventures Arenal. Super worth it at $108.    Bridges and zipliing were super cool. There are 4 separate hanging bridges and 5 different zip lines, all included in the package.
Wednesday - Pacuare River Class 4 Whitewater rafting. The river is very scenic, with a few waterfalls and some wildlife. The rafting companies will pick you up from different areas and drop you off where you want so its very economical at $99 if you do not rent a car there. They picked us up from La Fortuna at 530AM and dropped us off in San Jose at 6PM.

On that note - its not an easy country to drive in by day and by night it's especially not recommended. Many twists and turns on non lit up roads, with many one way stretches.

Wednesday night: Stayed by Marriot in San Jose. Very nice hotel with golf, tennis, and 2 pools.
was the golf included or you had to pay separately?

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 03, 2021, 02:28:32 PM »
What Airport are you flying to and from?
LIR
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline sddd

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 03, 2021, 05:14:45 PM »
was the golf included or you had to pay separately?

friend says it wasnt worth it so scratch the golf. 26$

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 03, 2021, 06:06:57 PM »
An understatement.

Offline lansky

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 04, 2021, 05:56:33 AM »
An understatement.
I thought it was overrated I liked night better actually as drivers were the biggest scare to me especially getting behind a truck at night and just followed them as they clear the road and give added light

Offline Whywhy

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 12, 2021, 02:40:17 AM »
Any recommendations for shabbos accommodations? Looking for the weekend of Jan 23rd.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 12, 2021, 06:44:10 AM »
Any recommendations for shabbos accommodations? Looking for the weekend of Jan 23rd.
There aren’t many options. We stayed at the Residence Inn by Marriott San Jose Escazu. Rooms are spacious and nice, service was great. And it’s a 20 min. walk from Chabad.

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 12, 2021, 01:08:08 PM »
Mini TR:

Sunday - For $150 we got a private driver to take us from san jose to arenal. We stopped by La Paz which is basically a small zoo. Overpriced at $48 but still recommended since the birds are cool and the waterfalls are great.

Thanks for the report.

Can you please share the contact info for the private driver you used?

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 13, 2021, 08:21:31 PM »
UGH!!!!

UA cancelled my round trip direct flights, seems like UA pulled all/most of their non stop flights to LIR :'( :'( :'(

@Dan
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle