Topic Wiki

List of TR's:
Fan Of Dan, BrooklynCPA, momo Part 1, momo Part 2, lechaim2life, eliteflyer, Pbaruch, Rcarentals (Guanacaste)

Bringing food/meat through the airports:
  • San Jose Airport SJO - customs are known to be ruthless here with meat. There are many stories in the forums and online of people having all their meats or kosher travel meals seized at customs.
  • Liberia LIR - Recent experiences were that LIR customs didn't check anyone at all.
The general advice which is the only method that seems to consistently work, is bringing in specifically USDA certified products. For example most hotdogs will have an actual USDA certification printed on the hotdog packet. Some companies like Teva, Agri in various supermarkets and most manufacturers have the USDA certification and approval number printed on the label. This is rarely the case for supermarkets who repackage and butcher things themselves and do not have a USDA-certified processing room.
There have been reports of stickers like the USDA organic stickers regularly used to label meats in supermarkets working as well if they look like THIS
In the most ideal world, your food has a clear description of: The product, the nutrition, and a USDA label on the manufacturer packaging.

In a worst case, food can be airshipped to anywhere for a fee - for example from one of the SJO kosher suppliers to Liberia for example the JW Marriott for around $400.

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
  • SKCR/Super Kosher has takeout under the local Chabad rabbi.
  • The Israeli restaurant in Jaco may not be acceptable for many.  It is my understanding that while they get some meat/chicken from Chabad, they have no hashgacha.
  • Supermarket Automercado has pas yisroel bagels in the freezer per the Chabad rabbi in tamarindo - may or may not be tamarindo specific.
  • Walmart is 6 minutes from Liberia airport, and has tons of American, kosher products and snacks.

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

West side/Liberia

Hotels:
The JW Marriott Guanacaste has amazing suites. If you book there, it's worth speaking to the reservations department before or after to see if you can negotiate an upgrade for a small fee. They offered off the base room, an upgrade of $175 a night for a suite, or $200 for a suite with ocean view, and plunge pool.

Getting Around:
A 4 Wheel drive here is mandatory. Not just because the humidity and rain create muddy and slippery roads, but mainly because the potholes here, are really huge and bad, and your car needs clearance to drive... The roads in costa rica are absolutely terribly maintained. they are completely manageable with a SUV - but expect a ton of bumps and thousands of potholes - almost the entire country is made up of 2 lane roads including highways. All overtaking is done in the direction of opposing traffic. cars here are seriously used and abused - so when you pick up your car.. it's worth going for one with as low mileage as possible.

Notes:

ALL CAR COMPANIES CHARGE MANDATORY LIABILITY INSURANCE. This seems to be one of the biggest complaints from tourists who don't know and consider this a tourist trap - like Israel.
CDW here often REQUIRES the letter - more than Israel.. so have that prepared.

Author Topic: Costa Rica Master Thread  (Read 179562 times)

Offline TravelPhyl

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Rica Master Thread
« Reply #560 on: January 19, 2022, 08:55:03 PM »
Hi, anyone been to Costa Rica in the last week or two, and can report about the vaccination requirements? TIA

Offline nirc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 25, 2022, 09:11:10 PM »
recommendations on which area to stay in if doing an airbnb?

Offline 3yummyboys

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 04, 2022, 08:26:29 AM »
Has anyone had experience using ship-to-store at the Walmart in Liberia?

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 03, 2022, 09:26:36 AM »
I am planning a surprise trip for my husband's 40th birthday this summer. (Thanks so the following people who's TR's provided a lot of great information: Divora M, PBaruch, momo, eliteflyer, Aryeh, Yuey, Hllulbh1, Lou Bob and JM1248 (apologies if I missed you!)) A few advice questions .....

1) Best car rental company
2) Things to do on the drive from La Fortuna to Papagayo
3) Best guided night hike in La Fortuna area
4) Best bet for secluded beach to snorkel in Papagayo area

Thanks all!

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 03, 2022, 12:15:31 PM »
I am planning a surprise trip for my husband's 40th birthday this summer. (Thanks so the following people who's TR's provided a lot of great information: Divora M, PBaruch, momo, eliteflyer, Aryeh, Yuey, Hllulbh1, Lou Bob and JM1248 (apologies if I missed you!)) A few advice questions .....

1) Best car rental company
2) Things to do on the drive from La Fortuna to Papagayo
3) Best guided night hike in La Fortuna area
4) Best bet for secluded beach to snorkel in Papagayo area

Thanks all
1)I’ve had a great experience with SIXT LIR.

2) Parque Nacional Volcán Tenorio is beautiful.

Offline Jb93davis

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 29, 2022, 11:28:15 AM »
I read through around half of the thread...still a few questions:
Coming to CR in August for 10 days. My wife and I are coming with a 1 year old and 3 year old with the help of a 14 year old

Arriving in SJO on 9th and picking up food
9th to 14th (over shabbos) in MANP area
14 to 16 in Monteverde or La fortuna
17-18 in Papagayo
18th flight from LIR

1) We haven't decided between monteverde and La fortuna. Looks like we can only do one. Any advice? our biggest concern is our 1 year old who can't manage walking very long/well. Stroller would be best if we could.

2) we want to stay at the andaz since Im globalist but they don't have any availability on points. Any advice?

Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Offline Jb93davis

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 29, 2022, 11:46:32 AM »
Does anyone have enough experience to comment on the best place/s to get kosher food and catered meals?
I'm not looking to spend a bunch but I want to make my life a bit easier.
Ill be arriving in SJO

Also, any restaurant recommendations in SJ?

Offline bluesky

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 21, 2022, 07:38:28 PM »
Is anyone going through Liberia? We left a small car vent cell phone holder at one of the car rental agencies near the airport. Please pm if you can bring it back to the states.

Win-win if you don't want to schlep your own there!

Offline njmacman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 26, 2023, 09:07:45 PM »
Going to CR next month. Any updates on restaurants, bringing in meat, places to see, do we need vaccinations of any kind, etc? Thanks.

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 10, 2023, 11:55:51 AM »
Hi what area should i stay if i am going for 4 days? nice beach area with good views?

Offline JuryDuty

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: June 05, 2023, 03:42:31 PM »
What is there to do for a half day near the SJO airport?
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 08, 2023, 10:59:07 PM »
Has anyway taken a regional flight within Costa Rica? Trying to figure out how long to budget when flying into SJO before taking one a quick flight to Arenal. Do you have to go through security again? Customs?
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline Jb93davis

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 10, 2023, 08:09:34 PM »
I havent gotten around to a full TR on my 10 day trip last summer to Costa Rica but I just sent this to someone who PMed me. I figure I may as well post it for a little more info on the thread. Keep in mind that it was in response to the question so it may sound a little funny. Plus it was very scattered since it was late at night. Hope it helps someone:

we did 5 days near manual antonio national park, 2 days by monteverde, and 3 days by the Andaz in papagayo. Our kids were 1.5 and 3 so we were much more limited on what activites we could do. We basically tried to enjoy the nature around us instead of running to activities for the first 5 days and the andaz had monkies and water which was awesome. Moteverde was breathtaking. We opted for monteverde over Arenal since it was cooler in the summer  and we weren't able to do adventure activities (although montervede has good ziplining for sure!). We were able to bring the 1.5 year on the hanging bridges we did in monteverde (but you NEED a baby carrier for sure since a stroller is for sure a no go despite what 1 or 2 people say about the hanging bridges hikes. unless they can walk for an hour straight.) Monteverde was stunning especially with our airbnb! If you could stay here, do it! see link below.

Our first 5 days were south of manuel antonio in Uvita in a beautiful airbnb way up on a hill with a stunning view and house and pool but it was a bit too far out...it was a harrowing drive and our car barely made it many times and didn't make it some times. we lost wifi, water, electricity and had zero cell service at points but it was still beautiful. monkeys, toucans, etc in the forest just hanging out and enjoying the porch. I have a few other airbnbs on my saved list that I would've taken in retrospect but it was a great place to relax with kids and find a secluded beach while also enjoying the nature. There's whales and hikes but we didn't do them. not as much adventure sports down south but relaxed and beautiful none the less. I guess a lot of Pura Vida
We stayed near Uvita which was an hour away from manuel antoino. we honestly didn't enjoy that park so much because we were tired out when we got there but it's nice to go. We saw a sloth by just watching where the guides go. Everyone crowds around when you see a sloth. We didn't see any monkeys or any other animals besides crabs that were cute. There's a nice beach at the end but there were too many people so we basically skipped it. Oh and then it started raining. It rains a lot in CR. And be careful, because the biggest roads in the country around 1 lane in each direction at around 45 miles an hour. Right after a big rain, it's typical to see swaths of mud from a hill on the road. That's what stopped us from climbing the dirt road up to our first airbnb. Eentually, neighbors or the city will clear it but it's certainly a second world country so be aware.
 It's very tropical in the south with lots to do including whale watching, quiet beaches (but not the nicest), hikes, monkeys and toucans, snorkeling, etc, and more affordable airbnbs if you go south of MAntoio.
I think this was the pick that I wished I had taken.
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/624519404332219170

Monteverde, we stayed in an awesome airbnb that I would highly recommend for its cleanliness, modernness, and view, and value!: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/53833128?c=.pi80.pkaG9tZXNfbWVzc2FnaW5nL25ld19tZXNzYWdl&euid=0841839b-34c9-27c7-0134-f9bf2ccdd664&source_impression_id=p3_1688958677_XbS97pDpxrVoeyVC
This place was by far the nicest place we found in monteverde. We were only there for 1 night and it was a big big highlight for us since it was so clean, new, and the views were crazy. Im not sure what you could do there besides hanging bridges and coffee plantations but Im sure there's more. We did one afternoon for the bridges and the morning we did a sloth/butterfly sanctuary. If you're doing arenal also, it could be that that's enough for monteverde.

The Andaz in popagayo was awesome. I had hyatt gloablist which made it awesome. They gave me a new pan, knife and cutting board straight out of the plastic and let me take it to our room nightly without me asking. He cooked eggs and gave us unlimited fruit. the head chef met with us to see if they could help with kosher. The monkeys hang out at breakfast which was fun for us.
the resort was beautiful with a playroom/babysititng for kids but we just used as a playroom.
The hotel room was fine for a suite but the whole experience was just relaxing and beautiful. The main beach had too many people for me to feel comfortable but the beach on the resort (where the boat to the nice beach left from) was empty. Not great for suntanning if you're in to that but was great for my kids. There's also snorkeling and kayaks...there's not much to do outside the resort and we felt no reason to leave the resort after all we had done in costa rica.
Availablilty was very very hard to get but checked daily as it got like 2 weeks out and found an opening for points redemption. Im assuming people were canceling before the deadline for the refund passed which at the time was like 2 weeks out. I would totally go back...

We got all of our precooked food thrown out at customs but I think we could get around the extremely lax customs next time. They can basically only inspect one person at a time and they let everyone else through while they are checking...I had prevacumb sealed everything like someone said on the internet but it still wasn't good. If any of my food had had a nutrition label with a USDA sticker, it would've passed. I next time would order stickers and stick them on my food and vaccum seal everything. We ended up spending zero time in San Jose on the entire trip so I can't comment on SJU, although we did shop at walmart and found enough great value products with a hashgacha. We cooked some frozen salmon that we found in the stores for some meals and were able to figure out which noodles we could use based on the kashrus list from San Jose...We had enough cheese we brought in to make our kids happy BH.

A 4x4 rental is definitely a nice perk and would have saved us a lot of agmas nefesh for the 1st 5 days. We made it up the monteverede road which is stunning and a bit scary lol but it would've been nice in a 4x4. BE SURE TO FIGURE OUT YOUR ROUTE FIRST. some routes in google maps/waze will send you on roads that even a helicopter couldn't handle! google the main roads to make sure they are passable and be in touch with your airbnb to get a feeling if a 2x4 would make it up steep roads etc...

Ok, that's what I got for now. random thoughts lol

Offline judahk88

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 11, 2023, 07:09:21 PM »
Hi,

Is there any chabad near the Andaz?

Offline Jb93davis

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 11, 2023, 08:57:38 PM »
Didn't hear of any. Could be there is. but the andaz is a stand alone resort that's probably a 45 min walk just to get out of the property up hill. So shabbos wouldn't work unless they were in the resort. We didn't see any other frum jews while we were there in the middle of august.
You basically just live on the resort.

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 11, 2023, 09:54:54 PM »
In la fortuna, have some extra food if anyone wants

Offline met

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 13, 2023, 11:02:56 AM »
Will the standard size usa grill hose connect to the propane tanks in cr? Will we need an adapter?

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 13, 2023, 11:29:22 AM »
Anyone know of transportation near La Paz? Been relying on Uber but nothing available here

Offline judahk88

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 30, 2023, 09:41:14 PM »
leaving tomorrow morning. I should have asked sooner, but does anyone know if they will give me an issue bringing in frozen cooked meals?
I've heard they give issues with raw meats

Offline Jb93davis

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 30, 2023, 11:07:15 PM »
We got all of our precooked food thrown out at customs but I think we could get around the extremely lax customs next time. They can basically only inspect one person at a time and they let everyone else through while they are checking...I had prevacumb sealed everything like someone said on the internet but it still wasn't good. If any of my food had had a nutrition label with a USDA sticker, it would've passed. I next time would order stickers and stick them on my food and vaccum seal everything.
This was my experience, YMMV